Harvey Weinstein (and assorted horrible people)... RIP career.

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

em2nought

Re: Harvey Weinstein... RIP career.

Post by em2nought »

Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I listened to the audio. It's in bad taste but still funny. Louis CK is likely going to be exploring these issues of (in)appropriateness in his comedy now. Because that's his life lately.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Never thought he was funny, but I'm outside the target demographic now I guess.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

His early stuff is awful, but his home and family stuff was hilarious.

I don't really intend to find out if he survives this and continues to be successful. I don't care enough about him to hate him or anything, he's no Bill Cosby, I'm just done with him.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Michael Jackson's fans fight back against Sundance documentary ‘Leaving Neverland’
Directed by British documentarian Dan Reed, the project unpacks in explicit detail the allegations of two adult men, Wade Robson and James Safechuck, who allege they suffered years of sexual abuse at Jackson's hands when they were boys.

Robson claims the abuse began at age 7. Safechuck says he became sexually active with Jackson at age 10. Both men testified on the pop star’s behalf in a 1993 sexual-abuse case brought by a different boy, and claimed at the time that Jackson never did anything inappropriate.

They now say they were lying, motivated by love and loyalty for Jackson, and were only able to face the truth after they each had young children of their own. Their stories, supported by their wives, mothers and, in Robson’s case, multiple other family members, are detailed, specific and — for viewers who have seen the film at Sundance — credible.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Not sure where to put this one. Good luck Liam, walking this interview back.

Liam Neeson interview: Rape, race and how I learnt revenge doesn’t work
It was some time ago. Neeson had just come back from overseas to find out about the rape. “She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way,” Neeson says. “But my immediate reaction was…” There’s a pause. “I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

“I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I’d be approached by somebody – I’m ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] ‘black bastard’ would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could,” another pause, “kill him.”

Neeson clearly knows what he’s saying, and how shocking it is, how appalling. “It took me a week, maybe a week and a half, to go through that. She would say, ‘Where are you going?’ and I would say, ‘I’m just going out for a walk.’ You know? ‘What’s wrong?’ ‘No no, nothing’s wrong.’”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Moliere wrote:Not sure where to put this one. Good luck Liam, walking this interview back.

Liam Neeson interview: Rape, race and how I learnt revenge doesn’t work
It was some time ago. Neeson had just come back from overseas to find out about the rape. “She handled the situation of the rape in the most extraordinary way,” Neeson says. “But my immediate reaction was…” There’s a pause. “I asked, did she know who it was? No. What colour were they? She said it was a black person.

“I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I’d be approached by somebody – I’m ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] ‘black bastard’ would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could,” another pause, “kill him.”

Neeson clearly knows what he’s saying, and how shocking it is, how appalling. “It took me a week, maybe a week and a half, to go through that. She would say, ‘Where are you going?’ and I would say, ‘I’m just going out for a walk.’ You know? ‘What’s wrong?’ ‘No no, nothing’s wrong.’”
Why does he need to walk it back? I tho k it's good for someone to be able to admit that they had really crappy feelings. He's human and he knows how wrong it was.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

McNutt wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:43 pm Why does he need to walk it back? I tho k it's good for someone to be able to admit that they had really crappy feelings. He's human and he knows how wrong it was.
Are you new to the internet? People, rightly or not, are going to jump on this story of a white man walking around wanting to kill a black man.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I hate to hear this: Ryan Adams exploited younger female artists, some of them minors.
For nearly two decades, Ryan Adams, one of the most prolific singer-songwriters of his generation, has been heralded as a mercurial creative genius and a respected industry tastemaker.

Equal parts punk-rock folk hero and romantic troubadour, Adams, 44, has 16 albums and seven Grammy nominations to his name. He has overseen music by Willie Nelson, written a Tim McGraw hit and recorded with John Mayer.

He has also taken a special interest in the trajectory of female artists, especially younger ones, championing them onstage, across social media and in the studio, where his stamp of approval can jump-start careers.

Some now say that Adams’s rock-star patronage masked a darker reality. In interviews, seven women and more than a dozen associates described a pattern of manipulative behavior in which Adams dangled career opportunities while simultaneously pursuing female artists for sex. In some cases, they said, he would turn domineering and vengeful, jerking away his offers of support when spurned, and subjecting women to emotional and verbal abuse, and harassment in texts and on social media. The accounts have been corroborated by family members or friends who were present at the time, as well as by correspondence from Adams reviewed by The New York Times.
The story is mostly creepy power-games with female prospects, but it also revoltingly involves sexting with underage teens and soliciting their secrecy. This should be a career-ender.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I feel the need to write this down so when/if it becomes big news I will have recorded it ahead of time.

My wife is a huge John Mayer fan. She and her little coven obsess over the minutia of his life, which extends out to his family. One of his brothers plays off John's fame and fan base to exploit them for sex. I'm not going into details, hell, I don't remember which one, but while at first I thought these fans were playing off the brother to get closer to the famous one in a sort of tit for tat, reap what you sow kind of way, the stories are darker, more exploitative and downright creepy than first impressions might lead one to believe. The story has some elements that are similar to the Adams one above, which is what made me think of it and write it down.

At some point I expect a fairly major story to break. Obviously not on the scale of Weinstein, and the brother is mostly a nobody in the music industry so the media isn't going to care too much, although he is creeping on these fans while married with a child, and his activities have slowly becoming darker and more menacing. At some point it wouldn't surprise me to find him up on rape charges, statutory rape charges, assault charges and perhaps other things. I expect the media to wet itself over his relation to John more than anything else though.

I feel relatively confident that what my wife says is true, given that she is Sherlock Holmes when it comes to Mayer's life, and is often seen as a source of accurate information within the Mayer fan base. I'm so proud. :roll:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 pm I hate to hear this: Ryan Adams exploited younger female artists, some of them minors.
WaPo
“I am not a perfect man and I have made many mistakes,” he tweeted. “To anyone I have ever hurt, however unintentionally, I apologize deeply and unreservedly.”

He continued: “But the picture that this article paints is upsettingly inaccurate. Some of its details are misrepresented; some are exaggerated; some are outright false. I would never have inappropriate interactions with someone I thought was underage. Period.”
Adams concluded his Twitter thread on Wednesday by writing, “As someone who has always tried to spread joy through my music and my life, hearing that some people believe I caused them pain saddens me greatly. I am resolved to work to be the best man I can be. And I wish everyone compassion, understanding and healing.”
And yesterday, I thought this was about Bryan Adams.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It was pretty well known that Ryan Adams is an asshole in general, so the fact that he was even worse to women doesn't surprise me much. And as much as Adams may deny parts of the article, it sounds like the NYT has a bunch of his texts that support the women's stories.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He's no Bryan Adams!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:25 pm I feel the need to write this down so when/if it becomes big news I will have recorded it ahead of time.

My wife is a huge John Mayer fan. She and her little coven obsess over the minutia of his life, which extends out to his family. One of his brothers plays off John's fame and fan base to exploit them for sex. I'm not going into details, hell, I don't remember which one, but while at first I thought these fans were playing off the brother to get closer to the famous one in a sort of tit for tat, reap what you sow kind of way, the stories are darker, more exploitative and downright creepy than first impressions might lead one to believe. The story has some elements that are similar to the Adams one above, which is what made me think of it and write it down.

At some point I expect a fairly major story to break. Obviously not on the scale of Weinstein, and the brother is mostly a nobody in the music industry so the media isn't going to care too much, although he is creeping on these fans while married with a child, and his activities have slowly becoming darker and more menacing. At some point it wouldn't surprise me to find him up on rape charges, statutory rape charges, assault charges and perhaps other things. I expect the media to wet itself over his relation to John more than anything else though.

I feel relatively confident that what my wife says is true, given that she is Sherlock Holmes when it comes to Mayer's life, and is often seen as a source of accurate information within the Mayer fan base. I'm so proud. :roll:
Maybe I'm misreading, but are you saying that Mayer's brother is exploiting your wife's actual friends for sex, and that they know details about it? Or is this just something he is suspected of doing in general?

I guess the question turns on whether your wife's "little coven" means actual friends or just the fan base at large. If this bad behavior is something you (or she, or they) have evidence about, someone should act on it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

As for Ryan Adams, the news isn't surprising, but it's saddening. I'd heard he was an asshole, but I assumed it was just the standard-issue rockstar pattern of inflated ego.

In the past, we would give our favorite artists a pass until we couldn't; now we believe the accusers if their accounts are plausible.

In theory, the new model seems to violate the standard of innocence until guilt is proven, but we also know that a huge amount of guilt was swept under the rug for decades when accusers were dismissed, hushed-up, or counter-sued.

I wonder how many icons of, say, 60s and 70s music were straight-up rapists. Considering the culture of groupie exploitation, probably way more than we want to admit.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm If this bad behavior is something you (or she, or they) have evidence about, someone should act on it.
I'll let them know.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:14 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm If this bad behavior is something you (or she, or they) have evidence about, someone should act on it.
I'll let them know.
Pardon my confusion. Is this snarky (e.g. "No, idiot, my wife doesn't know the victims personally") or not?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Former congressman Mel Watt misused his position as director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency by attempting to “coerce or induce” a relationship with a female employee seeking a promotion, according to a previously unreleased inspector general’s report.

The inspector general’s investigation was completed in late November and sent to the White House, but President Trump took no action against Watt. He retired at the end of his term in January and Trump has nominated a replacement. The results of the IG investigation, released to The Washington Post after a Freedom of Information Act request, have not been previously disclosed.

Watt implied he could use his position as head of a powerful financial regulator to help Simone Grimes obtain an executive position, the report found. He was also not “candid” with investigators and attempted to explain away his conversations with Grimes, some of which were recorded, as jokes or part of an attempt to mentor her, according to the report.

Investigators were not convinced by Watt’s explanations and accused him of two counts of misconduct. “We find that there are no circumstances under which it would be appropriate for the head of FHFA to induce a subordinate female employee to meet with him alone, in his apartment, for a conversation in which he professes his attraction for that employee and holds out opportunities for the employee to serve in specific executive positions over which he exercises total control,” the report says.

Watt, a Democrat, spent 21 years in Congress before taking over leadership of FHFA under President Barack Obama. The agency oversees two housing giants, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:29 am John Lasseter
WaPo
Last week, the news became public that Emma Thompson was departing a film project at Skydance Animation because the studio had hired John Lasseter. Now Thompson is publicly posing questions about why she believes Lasseter’s presence there is problematic — and why she won’t work with him on the animated movie “Luck.”

In her letter last month to Skydance, which was published Tuesday in the Los Angeles Times, Thompson wrote: “It feels very odd to me that you and your company would consider hiring someone with Mr. Lasseter’s pattern of misconduct given the present climate in which people with the kind of power that you have can reasonably be expected to step up to the plate.”
He has admitted to professional “missteps” in his behavior without specifically acknowledging the allegations.

Last month, Skydance Media chief executive David Ellison referred to Lasseter’s past actions as “mistakes” and told workers that Lasseter had promised to “comport himself” professionally. In hiring Lasseter, Ellison called the Pixar co-founder and “Toy Story” director “a singular creative and executive talent whose impact on the animation industry cannot be overstated.”

In her letter, Thompson, who worked with Lasseter seven years ago on the Pixar film “Brave,” writes: “If a man has been touching women inappropriately for decades, why would a woman want to work for him if the only reason he’s not touching them inappropriately now is that it says in his contract that he must behave ‘professionally’?”
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I promise to only be rapey during personal time. If workers had wished to avoid being raped, they shouldn't have been in the parking lot after work.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It better be an off-site parking lot that's not controlled or reimbursed by the company.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:12 pm It better be an off-site parking lot that's not controlled or reimbursed by the company.
Otherwise he's in trouble, mister!
morlac

Post by morlac »

Dammit, I shouldn't have and I feel real bad but I giggled at this comment from the article:

"Sounds like Lasseter needs to learn to train his dragon."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:39 pm No, chef!
[F]our women .... allege that Batali touched them inappropriately in a pattern of behavior that appears to span at least two decades. Three of the women worked for Batali in some capacity during their careers. One former employee alleges that over the course of two years, he repeatedly grabbed her from behind and held her tightly against his body. Another former employee alleges that he groped her and that, in a separate incident, he compelled her to straddle him; another alleges that he grabbed her breasts at a party, though she no longer worked for him at the time.
WaPo
Disgraced celebrity chef Mario Batali relinquished his stake in his company on Wednesday, more than a year after numerous women alleged that he sexually harassed them, resulting in a criminal inquiry against the chef. The New York Times reported that longtime partners Joe Bastianich and his sister, Tanya Bastianich Manuali, have bought the chef’s shares in the Batali & Bastianich Hospitality Group, the company behind his popular restaurants like Babbo and Del Posto, for an undisclosed price.

The company will soon be renamed, and Bastianich Manuali will head up operations. Other partners include the Bastianich siblings’ mother, chef and television personality Lidia Bastianich, and award-winning chef Nancy Silverton, who had partnered with Batali for several of his restaurants, including Mozza in Los Angeles. Batali also plans to sell his shares in Eataly, the popular chain of Italian markets.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Ken lawsplains to R Kelly.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ChiTrib
R. Kelly walked out of Cook County Jail on Saturday for the second time in two weeks — this time after coming up with more than $160,000 in overdue child support.

The so-called King of R&B had been taken into custody three days earlier on the orders of a family court judge who last month had given Kelly until Wednesday to pay up or be locked up.
A copy of the bond slip did not show who posted the $161,663 owed by Kelly or the individual’s relationship to him. Smith said the individual wished to remain anonymous.
And he decided that an interview with CBS was a good idea, and went Donald Sterling on Gayle King.
Jennifer Freyd was a little more blase than the rest of us. “It’s kind of predictable, sadly,” she says.

Granted, Freyd, a professor of psychology at the University of Oregon, has a sense of academic detachment on her side. She has studied responses like Kelly’s for decades. In fact, she coined a term for the behavior pattern he exhibited in King’s interview: DARVO, an acronym for deny, attack, and reverse victim and offender. In other words, as King said to Kelly during one of his outbursts, “You sound like you’re playing the victim here.”

That, Freyd says, is exactly the point. “I’m glad she labeled it, because that’s exactly what he’s doing.”
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Big kpop scandal in ongoing in South Korea. So far 3 members of 3 different kpop boy bands (Big Bang, F.T. Island, Highlight) and a singer/songwriter/actor/tv personality resigned within two days and probably ended their career.

The scandal involves corruption, prostitution, drug in a night club managed by one of the kpop idol. Also a separate but related scandal of an idol making and sharing porn video of at least 10 women without their consent in a group chat with the other 3 men + other members of the group chat. Also accusation of drugging women at the club then offer them to club's VIP members.

The video sharing scandal also involved unconcious and probably drugged women.

Indication of cover up by police both with the alleged crimes in the night club and also the porn video case.

A big cleanup of kpop scene and probably also involves the rich and powerful businessmen or politicians.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Jeebus. It sounds like a much-needed flamethrower is about to fix some problems there.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

This is great.

Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

That was great. God I hope my daughter never encounters someone like that.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I watch Loud House occasionally. I like it. The stories aren't cynical and tend to be good moral character stories, stories I like my kids to watch (but they don't, I'm the only one that will watch it, and rarely).

:cry:

Oh well.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

What happens after a #MeToo moment (hint, it's like Colin Kaepernick, but no NFL to hold accountable):
“The very same people who publicly applaud you for speaking up about bad behavior will never hire you into their own organizations because you are forever pegged as a whistleblower and a troublemaker,” said the woman, who sued a large corporation for sexual harassment. “On your deathbed, you will probably feel that you have done the moral thing by speaking up, but in the years you are alive, you are very cognizant of the toll your decision to come forward has taken on your life and your career path.” She was once a prominent television personality, but now is unable to secure a talent agent or an on-camera job.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mario Batali
Mario Batali, the celebrity chef who stepped away from his restaurant empire after several women accused him of sexual harassment and assault, is now facing criminal charges for allegedly kissing and groping a woman against her will in a Back Bay restaurant in 2017.

Batali, 58, is charged with indecent assault and battery in what appears to be the first criminal charge to arise from a series of sexual misconduct allegations against him. He is scheduled to be arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on Friday morning.

His accuser’s name was redacted from court records, but the account matches that of a Massachusetts woman who filed a civil lawsuit against Batali last August.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
A young man who says Kevin Spacey groped him in a Nantucket bar in 2016 has dropped his lawsuit against the Oscar-winning actor, his lawyer said Friday.

Spacey still faces a criminal charge. He pleaded not guilty to indecent assault and battery in January.

His accuser's lawyer, Mitchell Garabedian, announced in an email that the suit filed June 26 in Nantucket Superior Court has been voluntarily dismissed. No reason was provided either by Garabedian or in the court filing. Garabedian said he would have no further comment. A telephone message was left at his office.

According to the court filing, the suit was dismissed "with prejudice," which means it cannot be refiled.
The criminal case has centered on the cellphone used by the accuser the night of the alleged groping, which the defense says it needs in order to recover text messages it says will support Spacey's innocence.

Nantucket District Court Judge Thomas Barrett has ordered the man to hand the phone over to the defense, but his attorney said they cannot find it. The judge has given them until Monday to produce the phone.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm Remember this guy?

The FBI had prepared a 53-page sex crimes indictment for Epstein in 2007 that could have sent him to prison for life, according to the Herald. Instead, he cut a deal with Alexander Acosta, then the US attorney in Miami, which allowed him to serve just 13 months — not in federal or state prison, but in a private wing of a Palm Beach county jail.

He was granted work release to go to a “comfortable office” for 12 hours a day, six days a week, despite the fact that the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Department prohibited work release for sex offenders.

Epstein’s deal, called a “non-prosecution agreement,” granted immunity to “any potential co-conspirators,” meaning that if any of Epstein’s powerful friends were involved in his crimes, they would face no consequences. And Acosta agreed that the deal would be kept secret from the victims, preventing them from showing up in court to try to challenge it.
He just settled in a lawsuit, keeping testimony out of court again.
A lawsuit set for trial in Florida state court in December was expected to bring more details of Epstein’s crimes to light. Some of Epstein’s victims were slated to testify for the first time. But on December 4, Epstein reached a last-minute settlement in that suit just before jury selection was to begin, according to the Associated Press. That means that, at least for now, the women will lose the opportunity to testify.
I'll post this here, although I imagine the story will go to R&P almost immediately:

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested on Sex Trafficking Charges.
NYT wrote:Jeffrey E. Epstein, a billionaire New York financier long accused of molesting dozens of girls, was arrested on Saturday and charged with sex trafficking by federal prosecutors, an extraordinary turn of events in a long and sordid criminal case.

Two people with knowledge of the charges said on Saturday night that Mr. Epstein had been arrested in the New York area and was in federal custody.

He is expected to appear before a federal magistrate on Monday, more than a decade after he first gained notoriety with lurid accusations that he had paid dozens of girls for sexual massages in Florida.

Mr. Epstein, 66, had avoided federal criminal charges in 2007 and 2008 in a widely criticized plea deal whose lenient terms continue to roil the Justice Department and are facing new scrutiny in the #MeToo era.
Rumor has it that high-profile figures from Donald Trump to Bill Clinton to Alan Dershowitz to numerous others were involved in Epstein's social life. This could be hugely explosive.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:11 am I'll post this here, although I imagine the story will go to R&P almost immediately:
Likely soon, yes:

Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Good. Burn them all.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And NYT says that pictures have been found...

"Investigators seized nude photographs of underage girls from the Manhattan townhouse of Jeffrey Epstein as part of a new investigation into allegations he exploited dozens of minors for sex, prosecutors revealed on Monday."

Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hoo boy...both sides are gonna get slammed with this, I predict. Anyone trying to use it as a political hammer is probably going to end up hitting themselves at some point. I predict a LOT of silence out of the power circles he ran in.
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:32 pm "Investigators seized nude photographs of underage girls from the Manhattan townhouse of Jeffrey Epstein as part of a new investigation into allegations he exploited dozens of minors for sex, prosecutors revealed on Monday."
Amazing that these creeps can't bring themselves to part with the evidence, and so it's always found.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.