National Emergency! Ermahgerd!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

National Emergency! Ermahgerd!

Post by Kraken »

We have a national emergency, alright. Its name is Donald Trump.
The president’s decision to officially declare an emergency — to pretend to build an unbuildable border wall — is not only an act of constitutional vandalism. It is also an act of cowardice, a way to avoid the wrath of Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the far-right commentariat.

It is an end run around Congress and, as such, constitutes a violation of his oath to “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States” — which gives Congress, not the president, the authority to decide how public money is spent. It does not give Trump the right to fund projects that Congress will not approve. Authoritarian leaders do that sort of thing. The puffed-up wannabe strongman now living in the White House is giving it a try.
Trump had two years in which Republicans controlled both the House and the Senate — and could not persuade Congress to give him funding for a wall. He decided to make it an issue only after Democrats won the power to say no. The president’s negotiating strategy — pitching tantrums, walking away from the table, venting on Twitter, provoking the longest partial government shutdown in history — was never going to work. You might think he would have learned something about how Washington works by now, but you would be wrong.

Because there obviously is no legitimate emergency, Trump’s declaration — and the shifting of resources from duly authorized projects to the wall — will surely be challenged in court. It is possible, if not likely, that any actual construction will be held up indefinitely.

Indeed, legal briefs arguing against Trump’s action practically write themselves. An emergency, by definition, is urgent. The 9/11 terrorist attacks, for example, clearly qualified as a national emergency. But Trump has been talking about issuing an emergency declaration to build the wall for a couple of months. If such action wasn’t necessary in December, some judge will surely ask, then why now?

Money for the wall will have to be taken from other projects, all of which have constituencies in Congress and among the public. Ranchers and others whose land would have to be taken by eminent domain for the wall will be up in arms.

Politically, Trump carelessly put Republican senators in a tough spot. Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) may have the House pass a resolution of disapproval, which the Senate would be compelled to take up. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and his caucus would have to decide whether to support a presidential power grab they know is unwise — or oppose Trump and risk the ire of the GOP base.
You thought the shutdown was unpopular? You ain't seen nuthin yet.

Granted, this hasn't happened yet. But Trump has painted himself into another corner. It's coming.
hepcat

Re: National Emergency! Ermahgerd!

Post by hepcat »

The reasonable members of the GOP dread this. It WILL come back and bite them in the ass when a dem president arrives.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 pm The reasonable members of the GOP dread this. It WILL come back and bite them in the ass when a dem president arrives.
It better not.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But, but DUCT TAPE!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AFAIK, He hasn't done it yet, just said that he will tomorrow.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:53 pm The reasonable members of the GOP dread this. It WILL come back and bite them in the ass when a dem president arrives.
Not necessarily. They'll do what they have done in the states, pass a law to restrict in incoming Dem‘s power.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Can't remember if I posted this or not but it was an interesting read RE: trump declaring an emergency. Essentially it says that the majority of land owners along the border in Texas are wealthy and they are conservative. But like actually conservative and not just RINOs and so the are big on limited government as well as the idea of private property. And so they would tie up the fight to declare eminent domain for years and could potentially cost the govt so much $ that they'd never build.
Worth a read anyway.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... ll/582085/
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hopefully we'll have had the 'Trump Reforms' by then. We had them after Watergate, and this blows that out of the water. The republicans might even agree if they're (at that moment) taking a power away from dem president.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The WaPo now reports that the Manchild in Chief will request... 8 billion dollars for his wall when he declares his national "emergency".

Well it's not like military families need the money
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The "emergency" was on the table when Congress refused to fund it so it is not an emergency that requires emergency funding between appropriations, as the emergency measure was designed for. It is an "emergency" that was considered and rejected at appropriations and as such isn't a valid emergency funding project.

It won't even pass muster with the Supreme Court. That would be fun to see, the SCOTUS knocking that shit down. "B-b-but Kav..."

Wonder how states rights and 2A adherents feel about Trump's total disregard for the Constitution. He'll come for them eventually.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:06 am Wonder how states rights and 2A adherents feel about Trump's total disregard for the Constitution. He'll come for them eventually.
And even if he doesn't, their GOP Congress has set the table and Mitch say's it OK, so long as the president the senate majority leader say it's OK.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trump in 2014, speaking about Obama
Trump made the comments on Fox News' "Fox and Friends" in November 2014 when asked about executive actions by then-President Barack Obama that would halt deportations for the undocumented parents of children born in the United States.

"Now he has to use executive action and this is a very, very dangerous thing that should be overwritten easily by the Supreme Court," Trump said.

"So we're looking now at a situation, it should absolutely not pass muster in terms of constitutionality, but it depends on what these justices do," he added.
Wonder what changed. :think:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They say they plan to sieze the border lands through eminent domain. I'm sure that will go over smoothly and not result in any news stories that make the Republican party look bad.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And there's the official announcement.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:51 am And there's the official announcement.
OMG. This presser is the national emergency, right?

He's flying without a teleprompter, and it is absolutely WTF nuts.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:51 am And there's the official announcement.
OMG. This presser is the national emergency, right?

He's flying without a teleprompter, and it is absolutely WTF nuts.
Please tell me he mentioned duct tape.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

His statement on the wall: "I don't have to do this right now, but I want to do it fast."

I'm sure that won't come up again.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 pm His statement on the wall: "I don't have to do this right now, but I want to do it fast."

I'm sure that won't come up again.
:lol:

"I personally want it and Congress won't let me, so it's an emergency"

:pop:
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I listened to most of it and the rare occasions where he said something that made sense, it came off as whiny and petulant.

I particularly liked when he was explaining how walls are 100% effective: "They have to go left or right until they get to a spot where there's no wall."

I also enjoyed his flub where he said "I'm a deficit believer." Yep, probably the only true thing you said in the entire speech.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I just found out that Obama nearly went to war with North Korea. (According to Trump)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
malchior

Post by malchior »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am They say they plan to sieze the border lands through eminent domain. I'm sure that will go over smoothly and not result in any news stories that make the Republican party look bad.
I wonder if this is going to be the strongest grounds that lawsuits against this emergency will stand upon. It seems like an unconstitutionally appropriated project is fairly weak grounds to base eminent domain claims upon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The national emergency isn't even this administration or Trump. The national emergency is the people that even after seeing this speech, are still proud to have voted for him.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And what's sad is that you have to be ignorant on MULTIPLE fronts to buy what he's selling.

A) You have to buy into the idea that we have a border "invasion"
B) You have to buy into the idea that a wall would stop said border "invasion"
C) You have to buy into the idea that powerless Democrats somehow, for two years, stymied said wall

The list goes on and on. You have to have absolutely zero critical thinking skills to drink that Kool-Aid, and it's really frightening how so many people are perfectly OK with that.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

But what about the caravans?! So many caravans!

I live in a state that borders Mexico, and let me tell you. Caravans.
malchior

Post by malchior »

To me that is a major part of it we have a lot of people too dumb to grok the consequences or willing to turn the blind eye to vast abuses of power. The other more important angle is that our entire political system has failed. There is no other way to look at this turn of events. McConnell and company will likely say they only supported the emergency to avoid a worse ill in another shutdown. In reality that was just another cynical decision to avoid the bad press *they'd* receive. They are for supreme executive power when they are in charge and obstruction when they are not. They aren't just hypocrites. They are traitors to our form of government.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm But what about the caravans?! So many caravans!

MOAR TACO TRUCKS!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek

Post by naednek »

This was my favorite...
TRUMP: Thank you very much, everybody.

Before we begin, I'd like to just say that we have a large team of very talented people in China.

TRUMP: We've had a negotiation going on for about two days. It's going extremely well. Who knows what that means, because it only matters if we get it done. But we're very much working very closely with China and President Xi, who I respect a lot. Very good relationship that we have.
WTF. How do you know if it's going well, when you don't understand what's going on.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Congrats on the healthcare upgrade with the next democrat president you guys will love it, trust me!
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

What is Trump talking about in his confrontation with Acosta when he mentions 26 people killed on the border in a gun fight? I Googled 26 killed on border and all I got was the Sutherland Springs church massacre by a white Texan.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's remembering an episode of Gunsmoke most likely. The guy is suffering from Dementia, don't forget.

edit: Apparently dipshit in chief is confusing a shooting 130 miles away in a Mexican town with something happened a mile away on American soil. So not Dementia. Just being a lying, vile asshole of a human being...per usual.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:44 pm What is Trump talking about in his confrontation with Acosta when he mentions 26 people killed on the border in a gun fight? I Googled 26 killed on border and all I got was the Sutherland Springs church massacre by a white Texan.

I didn't listen. And doubt I will but maybe he's talking about the need for a national emergency to suspend the 2nd amendment? Or a national emergency on the state of mental health care in the US?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/1 ... -shooting/

U.S. President Donald Trump, on a trip in Asia, told reporters in Tokyo the preliminary reports indicated the shooter was "deranged."

"This isn't a guns situation, I mean we could go into it, but it's a little bit soon to go into it," Trump said. "But fortunately somebody else had a gun that was shooting in the opposite direction, otherwise ... it would have been much worse. But this is a mental health problem at the highest level."
Other news items he might be conflating

https://jimbakkershow.com/news/grisly-m ... s-21-dead/

21 burnt in "a drug war" near where he gave a rally?

https://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-am ... story.html

26 killed in drug gun fight about a 200 miles south of the border?

He's not wrong about violence and shootings. How a wall helps this humanitarian crisis? *shrug*
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dang, he came so close...
You can’t take human traffic -- women and girls -- you can’t take them through ports of entry. You can’t have them tied up in the backseat of a car or a truck or a van. They open the door. They look. They can’t see three women with tape on their mouth or three women whose hands are tied.
But an alert reporter picked up the slack:
Yes. Jim Acosta.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. I wonder if you could comment on this disconnect that we seem to have in this country, where you are presenting information about what’s happening at the border -- calling it an “invasion,” talking about women with duct tape over their mouths, and so on -- and yet there’s a lot of reporting out there, there’s a lot of crime data out there, there’s a lot of Department of Homeland Security data out there that shows border crossings at a near-record low --
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LA Times
Gov. Gavin Newsom said Friday that California is planning to sue the Trump administration over its declaration of a national emergency on the southern border with Mexico, delivering on a promise state Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra made last week "to reject this foolish proposal in court the moment it touches the ground."

Newsom and Becerra announced they are developing plans for the legal action at a Capitol news conference just hours after President Trump declared a national emergency in an attempt to divert up to $6.6 billion from other projects, including military construction jobs, to build or reinforce as many as 234 miles of border barriers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The bottom line is that it's a safe bet that anything coming out of his mouth should be given the same weight as the exaggerations of a child most of the time.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

wonderpug wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:39 pm But what about the caravans?! So many caravans!

The UK loves them some caravans.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Growing up, we called them "Shitbox Dodges." I don't know why. My guess is because pretty much everyone's dad worked for Ford or GM. Nobody seemed to work for Chrysler.

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:47 pm

The UK loves them some caravans.

Needs more Periwinkle Blue
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:00 pm Needs more Periwinkle Blue
Now that is a national emergency.