Pictures and Videos for R&P

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

And a spoonful of sugar is an obvious heroin reference.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had written something about there always being nutjobs, but if you read the article you’ll see the academic in question isn’t raving over it, has a few good points, and is simply asking that Disney (and other studios) take a closer look at the source material for remakes in order to avoid any potential racist subtext that we all know exist too often in films from less tolerant times.

In other words, nothing to see here.

Also, his response to the backlash he got from some is priceless.
“Here’s one thing I’ve learned about the alt-right, after I wrote this article and received a zillion hate messages in response: they sure like Mary Poppins!”
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:20 pm

Sometimes, being honest here, I feel like you are experimenting with trolling.

What's you desired results from posting this. It's silly.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm
Also, his response to the backlash he got from some is priceless.
“Here’s one thing I’ve learned about the alt-right, after I wrote this article and received a zillion hate messages in response: they sure like Mary Poppins!”
honest request. I don't get this.
The Alt-Right didn't like an attack on Mary Poppin's being a black-face close-call ? I mean? I agree. what is this.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unagi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm It's silly.
This. It is silly. A blue alien acting like Mary Poppins, a blackface British woman.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Unagi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I think he has a valid point when it comes to social media and our society becoming enamored with outrage. But I also think in his attempt to point it out, he’s sometimes guilty of the same thing he rails against.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:13 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm It's silly.
This. It is silly. A blue alien acting like Mary Poppins, a blackface British woman.
errr…. ok.

Maybe then it's just in the way you present it. You serve it up (like the black-face montage) like it's a good point to bring forth, but then you seem to be saying 'no, no, I agree' with what people make of it. I can't tell where you are coming from. I sense you have a pretty big opinion on things, but it is seriously starting to come across as kinda just nihilistic. You smell the 'controversy' and throw meat onto the table and see who bites?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 pm
Unagi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I think he has a valid point when it comes to social media and our society becoming enamored with outrage. But I also think in his attempt to point it out, he’s sometimes guilty of the same thing he rails against.
Exactly.
Exactly.
Exactly.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unagi wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:19 pm Maybe then it's just in the way you present it. You serve it up (like the black-face montage) like it's a good point to bring forth, but then you seem to be saying 'no, no, I agree' with what people make of it. I can't tell where you are coming from. I sense you have a pretty big opinion on things, but it is seriously starting to come across as kinda just nihilistic. You smell the 'controversy' and throw meat onto the table and see who bites?
Is it trolling to troll the trollers who troll social media looking to be outraged? I am a bit nihilistic in that I think most things I see on social media are nonsense and absurd. Similar to my apostasy towards caring about the Denver Broncos I have lost my emotional attachment to politics. I have zero impact on the results. I go about living my life the best I can and dealing with the results of whomever happens to be President at the time.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pm Is it trolling to troll the trollers who troll ...
I guess that expresses my anxiety with your posts. Not sure where the trolling the tollers who troll ends here.

Are you trying to bring some light to that, or just splash around in the pool?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pmSimilar to my apostasy towards caring about the Denver Broncos I have lost my emotional attachment to politics.
I'm a Bears and Cubs fan. cry me a river.

But seriously, if you have lost your emotional attachment to The Denver Broncos, if you posted emotionally challenging posts in the dedicated forum for The Denver Broncos, then you would be the poster child for: Troll.

But, I think the stakes are higher here and you actually do care, and so what you are saying seems kinda a cop-out. If you secretly care (analogous to being that Broncos fan I hope you are), then where do you land here? Seriously.

I have little tollerance to truly nighlistic trolls but I, sincerely, have alway felt I've gotten the nuance you've thrown our way... but honestly don't know if that's warrented at this point.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I just noticed that you joined OO 3 weeks after me. Coincidence?

Now that the Broncos have Flacco I will be all tears next year.

I literally don't have the time these days for a lot of OO debating. I am lucky to find a few articles in my RSS news feed that I find interesting enough to post here. Mostly they are ignored. Meh, it's all I got right now given my limited discretionary time.

If we need to analyze the Mary Poppins controversy I would say it started with an overzealous Professor that wanted to go viral. Based upon my limited research it seems like the original author of Mary Poppins was a racist among other things. That doesn't mean the chimney soot on their faces is now blackface and therefore the movie is racist. From there, having just recently watched Guardians of the Galaxy again, the Mary Poppins scene came to mind. And I will repeat, I found it silly to connect a blue alien playing Mary Poppins to the Mary Poppins is racist tweet. Long story short, it's time to read a book and fall asleep. Peace out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I come from the future to tell you that orangeface is going to become a thing.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm Enlarge Image
I felt bad when I enrolled at the local college and they said I was required to show proof of vaccination, and I discovered a loophole in their policy where I could send a form saying I was objecting to the law for personal reasons. The personal reasons were that I was vaccinated 40 years ago, have no paperwork on it, and really didn't want to get stuck with a needle so I could pay them $1000 for a class.

I feel really bad when I hear about Measles outbreaks, though. Jesus. Completely preventable.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

This tweet in response to Anne Coulter going on a tirade about Trump earlier today had me chuckling.

Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

What game is Ann Coulter playing, anyway?

She turned from Trump-worshipper to Trump-hater very quickly, all because Trump caved on the Wall. Everyone assumed this shift was a ploy to prevent him from giving up the dream.

However, now that Trump has declared his Emergency (which was really the only pro-Wall option left, even if it's merely a fig leaf), she is still dumping on him yugely.

If the Wall was really her goal, shouldn't she be defending Trump and attacking GOP senators who went for the spending bill? What gives? Is she that married to the idea of a second shutdown?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rage against the mangerine.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump drops latest music video...

Fun fact: this morning he released the same footage with REM's "Everybody Hurts," apparently intending to troll Democrats.

REM kicked in the door and filed an immediate takedown order, and the original video was removed. The above bullshit is the replacement.

EDIT: heh. REM's reply:
Spoiler:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's good to see them squirming uncomfortably. This is their fucking watch. They should be embarrassed and ashamed to have him in the building.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Could only watch it without sound, but then I didn't have a clue what was going on. I enjoyed drumpf pretending to be an orchestra conductor, like a 5 year old would do. I could see someone doing that ironically or tongue in cheek, but with this guy it's hard to believe he's doing anything but enjoying himself as the center of things. I did see Pence jump up to give him a handjob with both hands, so that's what a loyal dog looks like.

Just a reminder that the US put the man who was spreading birther conspiracy theories about their last president in the WH. No man has brought less dignity to the job than this buffoon. stigginit though, so it's all good.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'd probably swap either Castro or Nixon for Pol Pot.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Holman

Post by Holman »

I don't know that Pol Pot (or any Kim) ever had a robust free press to repress in the first place.

But there's no shortage of authoritarians and despots deserving of a slot. We're going to need a bigger cartoon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:56 pm The Bad Lip Reading folks outdid themselves on the SotU Address.
:lol: Better than usual, for sure.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This is fun: a side-by-side comparison of SotU outtakes with the SNL parody that got under Trump's thin orange skin.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Happy President's Day

Enlarge Image
milo

Post by milo »

Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were president? Must have been a part of the mid seventies that I just don't remember.
--milo
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

milo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 am Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were president? Must have been a part of the mid seventies that I just don't remember.

Wow, good eye. Elvis too.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To be fair, Elvis was The King, so it's fitting that he holds down multiple spots in that august company.

I don't see Nixon, though.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

milo wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:20 am Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were president? Must have been a part of the mid seventies that I just don't remember.
It's the alternate universe where Romney beat Obama.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 am

Wow, good eye. Elvis too.
And the Beatles?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:43 am To be fair, Elvis was The King, so it's fitting that he holds down multiple spots in that august company.

I don't see Nixon, though.
Nixon, Ford, etc could be left of Carter. Appears to be chronological.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

By the way, as president, it Trump's likeness public domain? Like can someone make and sell "President Trump" bobbleheads or whatever?

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 am By the way, as president, it Trump's likeness public domain? Like can someone make and sell "President Trump" bobbleheads or whatever?
I know there is a Trump Chia Pet...... :ninja:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Forget not the Trump Butt Plugs of 2016!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol:
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:36 am Wow, good eye. Elvis too.
And the Beatles?
I believe it's two sets of the three-piece Elvis collection. It's difficult to say for sure without being able to see the tops of the heads.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Meanwhile in Mexico...
Enlarge Image