Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

funnygirl

Re: Frank Darabont to write/direct Walking Dead series for AMC

Post by funnygirl »

naednek wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:36 pm If that was Maggie's last episode, they did a shitty job wrapping that part up.

I read that it was her last appearance for this season but that she may appear in future seasons.
Black Lives Matter
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Ok....so I really like Judith. More than I ever liked Carl.

So far this semi-reboot/flash forward has me hooked. I'm interested in the series again!
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:53 pm Ok....so I really like Judith. More than I ever liked Carl.

So far this semi-reboot/flash forward has me hooked. I'm interested in the series again!
I think it is exactly what the series needed, a semi-reboot. I really enjoyed the episode last night, more so than a lot of the episodes the past few seasons.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That little girl has more acting chops than many of the other actors on the show. She’s really impressive.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I was going to say two things. First, the girl playing Judith is a noticeably better actor than some of the other long-time cast members. Second, the whole episode was worth it to see that Carol still does not mess around. Beyond that...ugh.

Regardless, it seems like all this time has passed and somehow they haven't learned. Eugene takes a cliche-level hit to the knee and must hobble to safety - after putting himself in danger from the get go. Negan is apparently a babysitter/math tutor now? I dunno. I think the show's biggest problem has been that they've had too many characters that are as shallow as a puddle. So what do they do? Add 5 more, one of whom actually thought it would be a terrific idea to somehow "take" Alexandria. I mean really.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The mid-season finale (I hate that it's become a *thing*) wasn't too bad. It actually surprised me with the character death. You can read more about it here though if you read the hyperlink, you're spoiled (if you care).

Regarding the character:
Spoiler:
What a waste. I actually liked his character and his crazy ninja abilities. He was definitely under-utilized on the show. And in reading the article linked above, it doesn't seem like there's any love lost between him and the show.
I will be amazed if they don't announce next spring that 2019 is the final season.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, the old trope of teenagers who want to be the good kid's friend, but are secretly somewhat evil/majorly evil/just pure evil.

At this point, I want them to play the theme from The Courtship of Eddie's Father whenever Prince StickFighter makes another adult all paternal/maternal. That or get Carl'd. I can't decide.
Spoiler:
The actor who played Jesus is 100 percent friggin' right. They had a fan favorite from the comics in Jesus, but then decided to concentrate their efforts on whatever idiot of the week from Negan's tribe, Hilltop, Alexandria, or a nearby Walmart they felt like forcing into the show. Good on him for finally getting sick of it. Instead of making him the ultimate fighting machine like he should have been all along, they turned him into "crowd member #23 who yells 'You can do it!' every now and again.
But at the end of the day, it may just be time to die. Even the comic has outlived its heydays by too many years at this point.
Covfefe!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm still enjoying the show, not as much as the past though, and I do hope they end it after season 10 or 11. Wrap up the whisperers, and the where's Rick story and end it. I've always thought the Rick story would be the end of the show when he comes back from wherever he is.

And I agree that Jesus was not used correctly and I hate that.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I wonder if they'll make Aaron the badass that Jesus was supposed to be (at least for specific comic related stories).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The metal arm is just goofy. I'm waiting for them to introduce Lord Humungus at this rate.

Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In a move that will surprise no one, Danai Gurira is leaving the show.
Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Gurira, who officially joined the series in season three as iconic katana-wielding badass Michonne, has signed a deal to return for her final season of the zombie drama.

Under her new deal, Gurira will return in a limited capacity — described as only a handful of episodes — that will be interspersed throughout season 10.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I wish they stop announcing people's departure. To me it spoils whats to come. Just let it come naturally.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I really am enjoying the "fresh" start to TWD. I really liked last nights episode except for the part where Judith is out alone. Wife and I wondered who the hell lets her wonder off like that...

Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:15 pm I really am enjoying the "fresh" start to TWD. I really liked last nights episode except for the part where Judith is out alone. Wife and I wondered who the hell lets her wonder off like that...
well she apparently can hold her own, her dad is off filming movies and her mom wasn't home to stop her lol.

- - - Spoilers Abound - - -

I'm not sure how spoilers are handled for this thread, so I'll just spoiler everything.
Spoiler:
Personally I've kind of lost my obsession with TWD. I think they've just taken away too many of my favorite characters one after the other and it's taken its toll. I still enjoy the show and the setting, but I don't feel the emotional connection the way I used to. The Whisperers were cool when I first read about them in the comics, but that was years ago. Once you discover their gimmick, they are basically just bad guys in masks. In some ways they are lamer than regular bad guys since most people are already trained to kill anything that looks like a walker.

That said, let's break down the mid-season premiere. Some decent Negan stuff, a bit diverged from the comic but similar enough. Nice to give Judith and Negan some good moments, and I suspect we'll be seeing more. Material that originally went to Carl in the comics btw. The rest of Carl's story has gone to Henry, who is conveniently in jail just when they bring back a young nubile Whisperer. He immediately starts defending her even before meeting, which honestly makes no sense at all. Haven't they all been burned enough times to know that no one in trustworthy, at least at first?

Some nice reveals with Eugene, Rosita, Gabriel and Siddiq. Looks like our girl gets around. Personally I would have done some of the other guys first but whatever, she was probably pretty horny.

I'm still bummed about losing Jesus, and not just because of my Jesus/Aaron shipping fetish. It just seemed like a total waste of a great character and fun actor, he really did not get to explore that character well. I was looking forward to seeing him struggle as leader of hilltop, but now instead we are left with... Notcop???? Ugh. Or maybe the idea is to force it onto Daryl.

Speaking of which, I was kind of confused by the timing of the main group's return; why didn't they cross paths with Luke and Boytoy? I guess those two dolts were purposely lead off into a trap by the Whisperers? Given that they were on horseback and the hero group was walking, it just seemed like they should have easily ran into them. I'm pretty sure Luke is going to survive a while longer so that doesn't bode well for Boytoy.

For me the most interesting part of the episode was the Michonne/Daryl dynamic, which I loved watching. What the heck happened in the in-between time period to change Michonne's perspective so much, and what about them scars? Honestly I'm more intrigued with that than I am seeing the Whisperers kill more of our good guys.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I dunno. I'm mixed on the whole thing. I've come to really, really hate this split-season airings for major TV shows. I find it kills any momentum and (seemingly) is used to create narrative tension in a forced way. I'm still not impressed with how they resolved the Rick stuff and I'm not really finding any of the new characters interesting. I'm not current on the comics so I can't really claim angst their either; this new direction isn't working for me on the whole.

I enjoyed Daryl's trick to figure out the fake walkers and I do find the new enemy creepy, though I'm trying hard not to think too much about them or the logistics of how or why they're doing what they do.

I'm also not sure what to make of Luke in this episode. I'm not sure if it was the actor or what he was given to work with, but his tone just felt off for the show. It almost felt like he should have been on Z Nation (RIP) not The Walking Dead. He just had this...goofy attitude.

I'll keep watching (sunken cost for me), but mainly because there's nothing else taking up my TV time on Sunday nights. I still don't think this show is long for the world.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm I still don't think this show is long for the world.
Oh hell no.
1 or 2 more seasons at best.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I think ultimately the producers (a couple years ago) got cocky and greedy with the show/universe and building a giant empire of shows around it. Instead of focusing on maintaining the strength of the core show, too much attention went into spinoffs, movies, etc. - it remains to be seen whether that's going to pay off financially. From a storytelling quality standpoint, I think the show is suffering with the loss of Rick and Carl and Maggie (and soon Michonne). The story elements are still interesting, but the interactions have lost so much of their depth. For instance, no matter how good Judith is with Negan, they just don't share the complex history he has with Rick, Carl and Maggie that makes the interaction so special.

On a side note, here's an interesting article regarding Carl's exit:

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/20 ... carl-exit/

This is the most interesting conjecture: "It is possible the decision to remove Riggs was one based on knowledge of Lincoln's exit. A narrative would have been required to either find a way for Carl to leave with Rick in Episode 9x05 or possibly make Riggs the leader of the AMC series' cast as his character would have been required to step up in major ways with Rick off the scene."

Even with Rick's exit, I'd disagree with this - they could have done everything they are doing now, but much of it would have been richer with Carl still around.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:47 pm I still don't think this show is long for the world.
Oh hell no.
I agree, I hope they start winding it down after the whisperers and not stretch it out to the point that I just stop watching. I still like the show, not love it like when it first came out, but like it more than the past few seasons. So it's fresh enough for me to enjoy a little while longer.

Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lassr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm
stimpy wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:03 pm
Oh hell no.
I agree, I hope they start winding it down after the whisperers and not stretch it out to the point that I just stop watching. I still like the show, not love it like when it first came out, but like it more than the past few seasons. So it's fresh enough for me to enjoy a little while longer.
I kinda hope this is the last season. They had to freshen it up somehow...it had gotten so repetitive that I'm just glad (for now) that it's not following the old well-worn groove. But promoting a bunch of B-list characters is not really doing much for me.

I had a Wow moment when they introduced the whisperers and it seemed like maybe the zombies were evolving. That would have been a real shakeup. Instead it was a letdown when they revealed what was really going on. I'll keep watching for as long as my DVR keeps offering me new episodes, but I won't necessarily like it. :) Negan going back to his old warehouse sums up how I feel about the show.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

To me they jumped the gun on exposing the whisperers. In the comic it seemed like the group had a longer period of rumors of talking walkers than what we just had. They should have had a mixture of Negan and Judith episodes with some scattered talking walkers scenes that creeped us all the hell out. Instead they pulled off the veil almost immediately and it didn’t work.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

That episode was good. The ending was fantastic.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Lassr

Post by Lassr »

msduncan wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:30 am That episode was good. The ending was fantastic.
I thought it was good also. So far this season has started on a good note, hope it continues.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought the best part was that Lydia’s dad shaved his beard off before momma killed a guy...then through sheer force of will, he grew it all back within 12 hours or so. Now THAT’S impressive.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:57 pm I thought the best part was that Lydia’s dad shaved his beard off before momma killed a guy...then through sheer force of will, he grew it all back within 12 hours or so. Now THAT’S impressive.
Hmmmm....I thought that was part of the story her Mom made her believe.
That her Dad was the take charge guy who stood up for himself, when in fact it was Momma.
I assumed that the real story was that Momma shaved her head.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could be wrong, of course. But it looked like a gaffe. But I wasn’t paying too much attention for most of it.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Stimpy's right: that was two sides of the same story.

It was a better episode. Maybe this old show still has some life left in it.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yes, it was two different stories.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, good. I'm glad it wasn't a dumb oversight then. Next time I'll pay more attention.
Covfefe!
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm I could be wrong, of course. But it looked like a gaffe. But I wasn’t paying too much attention for most of it.
Yeah that was the fake news story that her mom told her making her think her dad was evil. Then it all came back to her and she realized it was her MOM that shaved her head and killed the crap out of her dad because he was weak and her cheese slid off her cracker.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

This actress playing mom has big time potential to carry the show the back half of this season methinks.
It's 34 bowl victories.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Samantha Morton is a pretty big deal as an actress. I daresay she's one of the bigger stars they've ever booked. She definitely has the chops to elevate the show.
Covfefe!
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:33 pm Samantha Morton is a pretty big deal as an actress.
She's a bad-ass IRL too. She's been through a lot of shit.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every time this thread is bumped, I imagine Frank Darabont gets the chills.

I liked last night's episode, at least the (A) story (which I'm assuming is the Lydia plot line). The (B) story - involving the light bulb was a meh for me. Maybe I'm just cynical or I don't have a full appreciation for what 4+ years of living in this world would feel like, but it felt (to me) like a crazy unnecessary risk. I guess if you were going to do something like that the group and plan they had was solid, but it feels like so many times others have died while doing similarly pointless things for the larger group.

Anyway, I don't think the Lydia situation could have worked out differently, but I will admit I'm curious to see where this all goes. Hiding in meat suits is a bold strategy when all these other groups have firearms. I get that the whisperers can command armies of walkers, but at some point, a machine gun and Molotov cocktails are going to level the field. Maybe next week they'll explain more about the whisperer group because I still don't quite understand their deal. Like the heapsters, their day-to-day existence confuses me.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Yeah, honestly as good as Samantha Morton is, I don't know how gripping they can make all of this. The cool/scare factor of having talking, sentient zombies pretty much goes out the window when you find out they are just wearing masks. Now while it seems like they are fairly badass with their animal attitudes and their baby-sacrificing ways, it's going to be hard to see how that translates to good fighting skills. If they don't have guns, our good guys' ranged teams could take them all out any time they wanted. There's like what, 4 super archers now? Plus Daryls crossbow, ninja star lady and the other girl's super slingshot. (Is this D&D lol???) I'm sure they will find some silly way to make them more intimidating, but I have my doubts. So far it seems like they are following the comic fairly close (with Henry in place of Carl), but I'm having trouble remembering how it plays out. Obviously Hornry is going to get himself captured next week, which is likely the catalyst for what happens next, all of that leading to the deaths of some more key characters.

The B plot definitely seemed to be a little lacking, but given how awesome they all are, it also seemed a little silly that they'd be cowed by 30-40ish standard walkers. As Carol said, it's just like 4 or 5 each, and they've all killed far more than that solo before. I also think it's kind of hard to believe they couldn't find another backup bulb in the shelves or cabinets but whatever lol.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm Yeah, honestly as good as Samantha Morton is, I don't know how gripping they can make all of this. The cool/scare factor of having talking, sentient zombies pretty much goes out the window when you find out they are just wearing masks. Now while it seems like they are fairly badass with their animal attitudes and their baby-sacrificing ways, it's going to be hard to see how that translates to good fighting skills. If they don't have guns, our good guys' ranged teams could take them all out any time they wanted. There's like what, 4 super archers now? Plus Daryls crossbow, ninja star lady and the other girl's super slingshot. (Is this D&D lol???) I'm sure they will find some silly way to make them more intimidating, but I have my doubts. So far it seems like they are following the comic fairly close (with Henry in place of Carl), but I'm having trouble remembering how it plays out. Obviously Hornry is going to get himself captured next week, which is likely the catalyst for what happens next, all of that leading to the deaths of some more key characters.

The B plot definitely seemed to be a little lacking, but given how awesome they all are, it also seemed a little silly that they'd be cowed by 30-40ish standard walkers. As Carol said, it's just like 4 or 5 each, and they've all killed far more than that solo before. I also think it's kind of hard to believe they couldn't find another backup bulb in the shelves or cabinets but whatever lol.
And you just know with Ezekiel saying "Maybe the bad times are behind us" that the bad times are a coming.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm Obviously Hornry
:lol:

It's unfortunate, but on some levels I can't blame him. The post-apocalyptic world doesn't exactly serve up lots of options.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm I also think it's kind of hard to believe they couldn't find another backup bulb in the shelves or cabinets but whatever lol.
My knowledge of projectors is limited to the film era -- I honestly have no idea how digital projection works -- but those bulbs (more properly "lamps") were very expensive, fragile, and short-lived. That was all realistic. A theater would have always kept at least one spare in a protected place.

I wonder how the whisperers got so numerous. There were at least dozens, maybe scores of them. Doesn't seem like a lifestyle people would flock to.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

rittchard wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:35 pm Yeah, honestly as good as Samantha Morton is, I don't know how gripping they can make all of this. The cool/scare factor of having talking, sentient zombies pretty much goes out the window when you find out they are just wearing masks. Now while it seems like they are fairly badass with their animal attitudes and their baby-sacrificing ways, it's going to be hard to see how that translates to good fighting skills. If they don't have guns, our good guys' ranged teams could take them all out any time they wanted. There's like what, 4 super archers now? Plus Daryls crossbow, ninja star lady and the other girl's super slingshot. (Is this D&D lol???) I'm sure they will find some silly way to make them more intimidating, but I have my doubts. So far it seems like they are following the comic fairly close (with Henry in place of Carl), but I'm having trouble remembering how it plays out. Obviously Hornry is going to get himself captured next week, which is likely the catalyst for what happens next, all of that leading to the deaths of some more key characters.

Well, I don’t know for sure how they will play plot A in the show since it has deviated, but in the comic they were scary as shit because:
(Comic spoiler)
Spoiler:
They are extremely skilled guerilla fighters that use the dead to hide and fight. And Rick finds out very early that they command by FAR the largest most devastating herd he has ever seen. Far larger than any of their ammunition supplies could handle.
It's 34 bowl victories.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Remember the closing scene of the final episode of season 8 where Maggie, Jesus and Daryl are sitting around in Alexandria, and they make what sounded like a threat with “We’re going to bide our time, wait for our moment, and we’re going to show him.”?

I'm glad the writers of this show don't.
Covfefe!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 am Remember the closing scene of the final episode of season 8 where Maggie, Jesus and Daryl are sitting around in Alexandria, and they make what sounded like a threat with “We’re going to bide our time, wait for our moment, and we’re going to show him.”?

I'm glad the writers of this show don't.
I wonder if the change in show runner between seasons 8 and 9 had something to do with that particular thread getting dropped.

Unless that all culiminated with Maggie finally getting into Alexandria to confront Negan and nothing actually happened.
Hodor.