Go Bernie!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Go Bernie!

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bernie Sanders (Green)?
Bernie Sanders has been invited to continue his underdog bid for the White House by the Green party’s probable presidential candidate, who has offered to step aside to let him run.

Jill Stein, who is expected to be endorsed at the party’s August convention in Houston, told Guardian US that “overwhelming” numbers of Sanders supporters are flocking to the Greens rather than Hillary Clinton.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Having spoken to multiple people in the room at the time, no one heard any boos of Senator Sanders.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote:Bernie Sanders (Green)?
Bernie Sanders has been invited to continue his underdog bid for the White House by the Green party’s probable presidential candidate, who has offered to step aside to let him run.

Jill Stein, who is expected to be endorsed at the party’s August convention in Houston, told Guardian US that “overwhelming” numbers of Sanders supporters are flocking to the Greens rather than Hillary Clinton.
Wow. So we could say Stein's career has finally reached its Nader?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:Bernie Sanders (Green)?

Wow. So we could say Stein's career has finally reached its Nader?
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Sanders scores platform victory, calls for $15 minimum wage
Bernie Sanders' crusade to shape the Democratic party platform scored a win late Friday night, with the approval of an amendment calling for increasing the federal minimum wage to $15 over time. The fight to get more explicit platform language around wages showed the Vermont senator's campaign still fighting for the liberal issues that made up his "political revolution" even as his clout fades. In the weeks since Hillary Clinton clinched the Democratic nomination, her primary rival won a few policy concessions and influenced the party's platform. But he's also angered fellow lawmakers for not promptly endorsing his primary foe and has seen his influence wane as President Barack Obama and Sen. Elizabeth Warren stepped in to unify the party behind its presumptive nominee. Sanders is still seeking more platform concessions at the party meeting in Orlando that broke up just after 1:30 a.m. Saturday, with plans to return later in the day. But he appears to be winding down this period of denouement, with his endorsement of Clinton now expected to come at a joint event next week.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sanders is scheduled to campaign with Clinton in NH on Tuesday. He's expected to endorse her there. Which makes sense - would be a little awkward otherwise.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo wrote: Which makes sense - would be a little awkward otherwise.
... and we've had more than our fill of awkwardness in this election cycle.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Sanders' prepared remarks endorsing Clinton.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote:Sanders' prepared remarks endorsing Clinton.
It's about time!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

‘Secretary Clinton Is A Different Person Than Donald Trump,’ Says Bernie Sanders In Ringing Endorsement
PORTSMOUTH, NH—Putting aside the policy disagreements and occasional acrimony that marked the pair’s heated, months-long presidential primary election contest, Vermont senator Bernie Sanders offered a ringing endorsement of Hillary Clinton today by stating that she is a different person than Donald Trump. “Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are separate people,” said Sanders, throwing his support behind Clinton in a rousing 25-second speech in which he praised the former secretary of state as someone who has a different name than the Republican nominee and who is altogether a distinct being from him. “Donald Trump is one person and Hillary Clinton is another person. They are not the same person.” Sanders then reportedly concluded the resounding endorsement by stating that “Hillary Clinton is a choice for president,” before exhaling audibly and walking quietly off the stage.
I'm pretty sure this is what at least half of her voters are saying. :lol:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

One of my in-law Sanderistas was confidently posting yesterday that Sanders was not going to endorse Clinton today, but instead was just going to note that Clinton received more votes and was ahead in delegates + superdelegates, but that the superdelegates would have their say, and whomever came out of the convention would be supported by the other candidate.

I am dying to check Facebook now.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I will say to Bernie's credit that he was probably right not to endorse right away, but to wait until now. He probably wouldn't have received so many platform concessions if he had done so. Plus those platform concessions will probably help him make the case to his supporters as to why they should now support Clinton, that would otherwise probably be a tougher sell.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote:I will say to Bernie's credit that he was probably right not to endorse right away, but to wait until now. He probably wouldn't have received so many platform concessions if he had done so. Plus those platform concessions will probably help him make the case to his supporters as to why they should now support Clinton, that would otherwise probably be a tougher sell.
Yup, it seems to me like he played his hand very well. Now it's a matter of holding Clinton's feet to the fire after the convention, when she'll be inclined to pivot to the right. Dunno how much leverage Bernie will have at that point.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:
El Guapo wrote:I will say to Bernie's credit that he was probably right not to endorse right away, but to wait until now. He probably wouldn't have received so many platform concessions if he had done so. Plus those platform concessions will probably help him make the case to his supporters as to why they should now support Clinton, that would otherwise probably be a tougher sell.
Yup, it seems to me like he played his hand very well. Now it's a matter of holding Clinton's feet to the fire after the convention, when she'll be inclined to pivot to the right. Dunno how much leverage Bernie will have at that point.
I mean, he won't have any. His only recourse at that point is to attack Clinton for moving to the right, which would help Trump considerably and not earn him any more leverage on the left.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Clinton still not closing the deal with the young-uns. (Note that this poll was conducted before Sanders endorsed her; we'll see how much difference that makes).
There's a little good news for Clinton in the poll of 18- to 30-year-olds — in a matchup against Donald Trump, she clearly bests the New York businessman, 38 to 17 percent. But that leaves 45 percent of those young adults who said they were either undecided, wouldn't vote or would vote for someone else (22 percent).

Another stat that bodes poorly for Clinton: Those who chose her aren't exactly crazy about her — many instead simply dislike Trump. Those who chose Clinton are about evenly split: 47 percent said they "mainly support" her, while 53 percent said they "mainly oppose" Trump.

And today came the big moment: the Sanders endorsement.

His blessing may swing a few more Sanders stalwarts into the Clinton column and further shore up her support. Currently, in Trump-Clinton polling matchups, the two major-party candidates together regularly get the support of only around 80 percent of registered voters.

It's possible that the Sanders endorsement could help Clinton get part of that remaining 20 percent. Sanders inspires fierce loyalty among his supporters, and some may follow him into the Clinton camp. Still, many may simply refuse to let go of his candidacy, and others believe a Sanders endorsement would be a betrayal of progressive principles.
Fortunately for Clinton, young people don't vote so nobody cares what they think. She will go wherever the most votes are to be found...and that probably means moving to the right to scoop up disaffected Republicans.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I would really like to see a third party candidate come forth now (or a candidate I'd rather vote for from either party).

As it stands now: Clin-Ton, <unicorn candidate>, nobody.

She may become the first female president, but she will also be an ineffective sidebar "meh" president. Status Quo.

Except and unless some more supreme court judges retire. Then we will watch the Republican stalling come to the fore!
There is no hug button. Sad!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

killbot737 wrote:
She may become the first female president, but she will also be an ineffective sidebar "meh" president. Status Quo.
You're underestimating the damage she can do in four years. Launching a third unwinnable war (in Syria) will be her legacy. In fairness to Hillary, though, Bernie was the only major-party candidate who didn't promise more bombs.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

That must not go un-clapped:

:clap:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote:Enlarge Image
That's the one image I've seen the other was something about Bernie's fighting against the establishment by joining the establishment.

I read during his concession that there was success. Hillary's platform now apparntly include free public university tuition for minors or something to that effect.

He's not even gonna win and that's what I get from him as his legacy. The one thing I seriously thought was a distraction from the rest of his platform. I hate politics.

Here we go

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/07/us/po ... .html?_r=0
Hillary Clinton’s campaign announced a proposal on Wednesday to eliminate tuition at in-state public colleges and universities for families with annual incomes up to $125,000 — largely embracing a core position of Senator Bernie Sanders, who had pledged to make tuition at public institutions free for all students.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
That must not go un-clapped:

:clap:
:D

Far more important than politics is humor. :)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Getting back to Bernie, though - while i think he should have conceded and endorsed after California and DC, he still got some concessions out of it (although I think they were concessions that Clinton was comfortable with, as there were others where the delegates pushed back on).

Polls show that a good chunk of Sanders supporters have already (if reluctantly) moved on to Clinton - something like 75+%. That still leaves ~20% that are Bernie Busters (or whatever) for Sanders to try to convince. If he can't, then likely no one can, and for some of them he probably won't be able to (those that were more anti-Clinton than pro-Sanders, or people who were formerly Ron Paul supporters, etc).
Holman

Post by Holman »

Defiant wrote:Getting back to Bernie, though - while i think he should have conceded and endorsed after California and DC, he still got some concessions out of it (although I think they were concessions that Clinton was comfortable with, as there were others where the delegates pushed back on).

Polls show that a good chunk of Sanders supporters have already (if reluctantly) moved on to Clinton - something like 75+%. That still leaves ~20% that are Bernie Busters (or whatever) for Sanders to try to convince. If he can't, then likely no one can, and for some of them he probably won't be able to (those that were more anti-Clinton than pro-Sanders, or people who were formerly Ron Paul supporters, etc).
These numbers are comparable to the 2008 Clinton PUMA's who (at this stage, and after Clinton endorsed him) still swore they would never support Obama. In the end they were a non-factor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote:Getting back to Bernie, though - while i think he should have conceded and endorsed after California and DC, he still got some concessions out of it (although I think they were concessions that Clinton was comfortable with, as there were others where the delegates pushed back on).

FWIW the number that I've seen is that something like 85% of his supporters have said they'll support Clinton in the general, which is above where Obama was in 2008 after the primary. And that was before Sanders's endorsement.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thank you Sir, may I have another?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Moliere wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:11 pm Thank you Sir, may I have another?
Another loss? Coming right up......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Here's the thing about running for president. Everyone loses, except maybe one guy, and if you asked the current "winner", he might disagree on even that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:45 pm
Ah well, at least Trump can’t win in 2024.
Covfefe!
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Go Away Bernie
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 pm
stimpy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:45 pm
Ah well, at least Trump can’t win in 2024.
No, but AOC can!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

At first glance I thought you wrote AC/DC.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

So much has changed in such a short time that the recent past is not a good guide to the immediate future, politically speaking. But if Bernie couldn't beat a single unpopular centrist then, I have a hard time seeing him overcome a robust field that includes several other progressives now. It's a completely different race.

That said, he still has the ground game and the financial chops and he's especially popular with the young. So, why not? He isn't my first choice this time, but go Bernie!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well, to be fair, it wasn’t Hillary he had to beat. It was the entire DNC machine that was being run by those who wanted Hillary and weren’t entertaining any dissent on that matter.

Although I still think Bernie would’ve lost. His ideas are often absurdly naive.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote:Well, to be fair, it wasn’t Hillary he had to beat. It was the entire DNC machine that was being run by those who wanted Hillary and weren’t entertaining any dissent on that matter.

Although I still think Bernie would’ve lost. His ideas are often absurdly naive.
Obama was up against all that too and beat her.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I was going to post a longer thing, but I think this sums up my thoughts:
Exodor wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 pmGo Away Bernie
After Tulsi, he's the one candidate that I don't want to win. I'm cool with all the others.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jaymann wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:21 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:11 pm Ah well, at least Trump can’t win in 2024.
No, but AOC can!
At least it would make for some good porn parody.
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hillary was right about some Trump supporters.
Covfefe!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

He's older than me and I know my memory ain't worth a shit. He probably needs a memory person to guide him to the places he wants to go.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949