Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Kasey Chang

Re: Gaming randomness

Post by Kasey Chang »

Checking out the $1 game I bought, Cyber Sentinel. Think one of the Zachtronics games about 5-10 years ago. 45 different puzzles (levels) to beat, plus level editor and community solutions. You program "viruses" to traverse "cyberspace" and steal data by using this visual programming language that are basically state machines and triggers. The trick is, obviously, how to set them up correctly.

Things get complicated when you run into hostile programs, firewalls (barriers), and the need to run a second program (parallel tasking). For a buck, it's certain good value.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Didn't see this coming - WizKids announces licensing partnership with The Orville TV series:
Once again expanding its licensing portfolio and suite of collectible miniatures, WizKids, the leader in high-quality pre-painted miniatures and established board games, has announced a licensing partnership to feature a popular sci-fi TV series, The Orville, in upcoming HeroClix releases. The new line is slated to hit shelves worldwide in Fall 2019, sold exclusively through Alliance and Diamond distributors in the U.S.

The first product to release will be a Jumbo Starter Set featuring the main crew, including Captain Ed Mercer, played by actor Seth MacFarlane, along with Commander Kelly Grayson, Dr. Claire Finn, Lt. Alara Kitan, Lt. Gordon Malloy, Lt. Commander Bortus, Lt. Commander John LaMarr, enabling HeroClix players and fans to embark in interstellar combat with their favorite characters.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I didn’t know that HeroClix was still a thing.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh goody. Because when I think action and adventure, I think of a show that has stories about robots having sex with humans, and junior high level attempts at writing biting satire about how bad racism and homophobia are.

I don’t know how Orville is still a thing.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Because Idiocracy was prophecy.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Of course, I have zero room to complain considering I can’t pass by Con Air or Soldier if I see them on tv. :oops:
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I haven't seen Soldier in many, many years. I'd definitely rewatch that. But Con Air? No. Unless there is a version that cuts out all of Cage's scenes.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Why couldn't you just put the bunny back in the box, Mix?
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:11 pm Why couldn't you just put the bunny back in the box, Mix?
:lol:

Sorry... I just can't. Maybe if they'd skipped the HORRENDOUS accent and the RIDICULOUS hair...

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not saying either Soldier or Con Air are good films. Don't get me wrong. I'm saying that there's a defect in my personality that forbids me from changing the channel if either of those are on TV. I have no idea why, either.
Covfefe!
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Borderlands the Presequel... I'm not sure I like the aerial combat thing, but it's at least a new mechanic to master.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Wingspan in the New York Times. Never thought I would read an article in the Times that mentions Race for the Galaxy, Castles of Burgundy, and Terraforming Mars.
Game-design theory coalesced as a discipline barely two decades ago. It includes at least two competing perspectives: ludology (from the Latin ludus, “to play”), the study of game rules and mechanisms and narratology, the study of player story lines and experiences. Ms. Hargrave is familiar with the philosophy. But taped to the wall facing her is a list of the essential elements outlined by Marc LeBlanc, a designer and programmer, in his book “Eight Kinds of Fun”: sensation, fantasy, narrative, challenge, fellowship, discovery, expression and submission. Every so often, she said, she asks herself, “How many of these am I using?”
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:05 am Wingspan in the New York Times. Never thought I would read an article in the Times that mentions Race for the Galaxy, Castles of Burgundy, and Terraforming Mars.
Game-design theory coalesced as a discipline barely two decades ago. It includes at least two competing perspectives: ludology (from the Latin ludus, “to play”), the study of game rules and mechanisms and narratology, the study of player story lines and experiences. Ms. Hargrave is familiar with the philosophy. But taped to the wall facing her is a list of the essential elements outlined by Marc LeBlanc, a designer and programmer, in his book “Eight Kinds of Fun”: sensation, fantasy, narrative, challenge, fellowship, discovery, expression and submission. Every so often, she said, she asks herself, “How many of these am I using?”
I was a bit blown away yesterday when my wife handed me her phone and asked "how do I forward this article to my email?" so she could read it at her leisure on a bigger screen. During the hand-over she told me it was an interview with a Elizabeth Hargrave about a boardgame called "Wingspan". Wait, what? :shock:
-mf
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I ordered a Caverna organizer from a company based in Ukraine. It just arrived, and while I'm not home to open it, my wife texted a picture of the package:

Anyone need some used Ukrainian stamps?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm surprised you actually received your package. That many stamps coming from a foreign country? I'm sure it was sent through an X-ray machine 37 times. :lol:
Blackhawk

Re: Tabletop Randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

I changed the name to avoid confusion, now that we have moved pretty much all of the video game discussion to the other forum, and since we have a pen-and-paper specific randomness thread.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:42 pm I changed the name to avoid confusion, now that we have moved pretty much all of the video game discussion to the other forum, and since we have a pen-and-paper specific randomness thread.
That doesn't sound random at all.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:10 pm I ordered a Caverna organizer from a company based in Ukraine.
It's a nice organizer - fits together very snugly, and sections are labeled for the components they hold. Perfect fit in the box.

The company is called Tower Rex. They're based in Ukraine and sell via Etsy. Shipping is on the high side and takes a while (about 2.5 weeks for this order). But the actual price is great -- you can't beat fifteen bucks for a Caverna organizer.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Summer is coming up. I think it's time to plan a couple of summer board games to play with the kids (now 15 and 17.) We usually don't get to spend time with our campaign-based games, as free days are too few during school. I want to change that up this summer and try to play a couple of times a week. We'll also be getting in a full back of Batman: Gotham City Chronicles in a few weeks.

I'm looking at:
~Sword & Sorcery (advantage - I have lots of extras, although only the first expansion)
~Mice & Mystics (advantage - everything is painted)
~Pathfinder Adventure Card game (advantage - I have four different base sets with all expansions and character sets)
~Star Wars: Rebellion (with one expansion - something something Shadows)

Any thoughts?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 am Summer is coming up. I think it's time to plan a couple of summer board games to play with the kids (now 15 and 17.) We usually don't get to spend time with our campaign-based games, as free days are too few during school. I want to change that up this summer and try to play a couple of times a week. We'll also be getting in a full back of Batman: Gotham City Chronicles in a few weeks.

I'm looking at:
~Sword & Sorcery (advantage - I have lots of extras, although only the first expansion)
~Mice & Mystics (advantage - everything is painted)
~Pathfinder Adventure Card game (advantage - I have four different base sets with all expansions and character sets)
~Star Wars: Rebellion (with one expansion - something something Shadows)

Any thoughts?
I only have the last 3 games listed, but of the games the one that I have gotten the most enjoyment/play out of is PACG. Rebellion wouldn't really give you a campaign feel...just a bunch of separate games. A bunch of separate great games, to be sure.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Star Wars: Rebellion is great, but it's not a campaign game. And it's really a two-player game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Dammit, sorry. Imperial Assault, not Rebellion.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

I'm only about 2/3 through an Imperial Assault campaign but I can definitely recommend it.

Both sides asymmetrically gain experience and perks so to speak and the game lends itself to very cinematic stories.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Ah, Imperial Assault. Never got any traction with that one until we started using the app. But it was pretty fun.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hentzau wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm
I only have the last 3 games listed, but of the games the one that I have gotten the most enjoyment/play out of is PACG.
Did you play any of the other sets, or just Rise of the Runelords? I've heard that there were improvements in the game in the later versions.

I also have Zombicide: Rue Morgue, but I don't know if it is campaign or just standalone missions.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:09 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm
I only have the last 3 games listed, but of the games the one that I have gotten the most enjoyment/play out of is PACG.
Did you play any of the other sets, or just Rise of the Runelords? I've heard that there were improvements in the game in the later versions.

I also have Zombicide: Rue Morgue, but I don't know if it is campaign or just standalone missions.
We just played Rise of the Runelords, and we haven't finished the whole thing. Great thing about that game, we can pick it up after months away and get in a couple of games in a night. I would say we're about 3/4 of the way through the second box.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hentzau wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm Ah, Imperial Assault. Never got any traction with that one until we started using the app. But it was pretty fun.
Talk to me about the app. Does it make the game viable to play solo?

As if I need another game right now...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The kids are pushing me toward Sword & Sorcery. I will probably try and speed-paint the enemies, and I have the fun extras (doors pack, metal coins), so it should be fun.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's really the one I want to crack open, but I just don't have the time. So..do that and report back. :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:57 pm
hentzau wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm Ah, Imperial Assault. Never got any traction with that one until we started using the app. But it was pretty fun.
Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 pm
Enlarge Image
Goddammit...
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Skinypupy wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 pm
Enlarge Image
Goddammit...
It’s quite ingenious how they are able to get the AI to work so one of the players doesn’t have to be the Empire, and it does all of the book keeping for you. Plus, it’s a separate campaign than what you get in the box. And it will use any of add on kits that you buy.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The WitchBorn: Enter Perdition is one I've had mothballed since late last year - I just can't seem to get it to the table. It's also app driven and it has RPG elements with it as well. There's another KS coming but there's plenty of content already available. I was very much against the idea of using an app to play a game, but I've definitely warmed up to it - particularly when it does all the heavy lifting. In this case, it's adding story and combat narratives. Regardless, my problem is always the miniature stuff and I can't just play with proxies or the unpainted Bones that came with the set I own. You'd think knowing that I'd avoid purchasing these types of things, but nope. It's a sickness.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks like Amazon has Runebound (3rd edition) for $27. Worth it?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It was like $18 last week, so....maybe? :D

I like it for solo,but I'd be hesitant to recommend it for more than 2 people - downtime between turns would be killer. It does a great job of creating an epic fantasy story, but the game mechanics (use of tokens, not dice) seem to have a polarizing effect on ratings. I didn't like them at first, but I have warmed up to the idea and how the game's mechanics then use the tokens. You can technically solo it out of the box if you're comfortable playing the AI and making decisions for it. There is a solo/coop expansion, but it's currently out of print and going for ridiculous prices online. It gives you a solo AI system and a way to play a cooperative narrative with others...though I still don't think I'd play with more than 2 people.

I really do like it but I do know opinions really vary.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 am Summer is coming up. I think it's time to plan a couple of summer board games to play with the kids (now 15 and 17.) We usually don't get to spend time with our campaign-based games, as free days are too few during school. I want to change that up this summer and try to play a couple of times a week. We'll also be getting in a full back of Batman: Gotham City Chronicles in a few weeks.
Blackhawk wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm The kids are pushing me toward Sword & Sorcery. I will probably try and speed-paint the enemies, and I have the fun extras (doors pack, metal coins), so it should be fun.
I should have asked them to make one of the two a simpler game. Hero Realms, for instance. The two we ended up with (Gotham CC and Sword & Sorcery) are both 60-page rulebooks that you have to read twice to grasp, then play three times to remember. Learning both during a busy time of the year - blech.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm loving everything about Batman: Gotham City Chronicles except the manual. It honestly sounds like they wrote it in French and ran it through Google Translate. They back it up with a video that's well produced, but they used a speaker with an incredibly thick French accent for it, making it a strain to follow.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:03 pm They back it up with a video that's well produced, but they used a speaker with an incredibly thick French accent for it, making it a strain to follow.
Apparently I wasn't the only one. A few hours after I posted this, they released a whole new set of the same videos, but this time with the collaboration of a native English speaking YouTuber.