GamingTrend offline for a short time

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Re: GamingTrend offline for a short time

Post by naednek »

JCC. Baroquen, and hentzau, please pm your username you used to register with. I'm not showing you in the list. I'll add you to the OO sub-group
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, you're on the ball today. I registered on GT and within minutes I had been upgraded to the elite status I should always be afforded!
Covfefe!
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I signed up for the forum as well. Same name as here.

- Ash
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm JCC. Baroquen, and hentzau, please pm your username you used to register with. I'm not showing you in the list. I'll add you to the OO sub-group
Pyperkub here (and there...)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm Damn, you're on the ball today. I registered on GT and within minutes I had been upgraded to the elite status I should always be afforded!
I'm only a regular :tjg:

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
storz

Post by storz »

I signed up for the forum as well. StorzOO is the user name.

The new forums look really slick!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:47 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 pm Damn, you're on the ball today. I registered on GT and within minutes I had been upgraded to the elite status I should always be afforded!
Well, that's what I'm at as well. I just refer to it as elite because...well...me.
Covfefe!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:51 pm
Well, that's what I'm at as well. I just refer to it as elite because...well...me.
elite AND sexy? Oh myyyyy...

thFOOL

Post by thFOOL »

You sure about that? :ninja:

I actually got everybody so far. Is Marcain on OO-er?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

thFOOL wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:15 pm

You sure about that? :ninja:

I actually got everybody so far. Is Marcain on OO-er?
OO-er badge found (had to expand profile ;) )

The overlords approve! 8t up!

Holman

Post by Holman »

Hey, I've registered too! I'm Holman.

What now what now?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You get a decoder ring and an autographed photo of Lord Mortis.
Covfefe!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Someone must have found my account, as I have the OO stuff. Thanks!
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Exodor wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:51 am Signed up.

I suppose this is a good time to ask if OO is backed up?

If not perhaps we could roll that cost into the the costs shown in the banner at the top of the page?

I'd hate to lose almost two decades of posting history.
Yep I don't want to kick anyone when they are down, but not having backups is a bit mind boggling. Every night this place gets backed up, a copy is stored on the server, FTPed to the hosting provider's backup server and for good measure I copy it to Amazon as well to store in the cloud. All backups are stored for a minimum of 14 days (this gives me time to unwind a subtle fuckup).

You GT guys need a hand looking at recovering even an old phpbb install? I can set up another zone on the server and see if I can't revive it if you want. I'd hate to see your historical posts evaporate.
No.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Created an account, if nothing else to keep my handle (since obviously it would be so popular).

Chrisoc13
thFOOL

Post by thFOOL »

FishPants wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:21 pm ep I don't want to kick anyone when they are down, but not having backups is a bit mind boggling. Every night this place gets backed up, a copy is stored on the server, FTPed to the hosting provider's backup server and for good measure I copy it to Amazon as well to store in the cloud. All backups are stored for a minimum of 14 days (this gives me time to unwind a subtle fuckup).
As I understand it, we thought we were backing it up. It's a lot harder to backup and move almost 100GB back and forth oneself, and the people we were paying to do the job neglected to mention that our backups weren't succeeding for some time.
thFOOL

Post by thFOOL »

Mind you, we've taken steps to make everything considerably less monolithic- our front end is now hosted with a managed wordpress service that does daily backups and provides two staging instances, our forum is hosted in a completely different place and is managed as well. We've been needing to get away from our old dedicated server for a while and we knew it, we just didn't have the means to do so until now.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

thFOOL wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:46 pm Mind you, we've taken steps to make everything considerably less monolithic- our front end is now hosted with a managed wordpress service that does daily backups and provides two staging instances, our forum is hosted in a completely different place and is managed as well. We've been needing to get away from our old dedicated server for a while and we knew it, we just didn't have the means to do so until now.
Yep sounds like you are in a good spot; for what it's worth I'd still do a monthly offsite to an AWS S3 bucket or something.. put it in a glacier tier it costs next to nothing (at least putting it IN costs next to nothing.. having to download it out is more expensive, but at that point *shrug*).

I think pretty much any version of Linux now can be configured to dump over to AWS fairly easily. Virtualmin/Webmin also have the capability to execute one backup and do multiple actions (dump it to FTP/S3/Wherever).
No.
thFOOL

Post by thFOOL »

FishPants wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:12 pm
thFOOL wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:46 pm Mind you, we've taken steps to make everything considerably less monolithic- our front end is now hosted with a managed wordpress service that does daily backups and provides two staging instances, our forum is hosted in a completely different place and is managed as well. We've been needing to get away from our old dedicated server for a while and we knew it, we just didn't have the means to do so until now.
Yep sounds like you are in a good spot; for what it's worth I'd still do a monthly offsite to an AWS S3 bucket or something.. put it in a glacier tier it costs next to nothing (at least putting it IN costs next to nothing.. having to download it out is more expensive, but at that point *shrug*).

I think pretty much any version of Linux now can be configured to dump over to AWS fairly easily. Virtualmin/Webmin also have the capability to execute one backup and do multiple actions (dump it to FTP/S3/Wherever).
Cool. We'll definitely look into that.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I've registered on the new GT forum as well. Still getting used to the whole concept of it but I guess it will grow on me.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I've only spent enough time there so far to get confused. But I'll puzzle out the interface if there are any conversations I want to follow.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:44 am I've only spent enough time there so far to get confused.
I initially found it confusing too, but I've found the software to be much more user-friendly overall. The thing about forum software is that the concept overall hasn't changed much because they've all pretty much revisions and offshoots of the same base code that has gotten long-in-the-tooth, and it's often more of a bandaid approach to getting features one wants, and they've kind of gotten kludgy in the process. The developers of this new software designed something from the ground-up to be more usable and accessible, designing features that are often asked about in plugins and such, but it's all native here.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How does one view only the unread posts in a thread? I don't want to view all unread posts, just those in individual threads. Alternately, how does one default from newest to oldest? I didn't look real hard, but it isn't obvious.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:05 am How does one view only the unread posts in a thread? I don't want to view all unread posts, just those in individual threads. Alternately, how does one default from newest to oldest? I didn't look real hard, but it isn't obvious.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Yes, but now in animated tutorial format please.
naednek

Post by naednek »

how bout this instead... Shortcuts.

Type G then U

It will take you to the unread posts page
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, just noticed the keyboard shortcuts last night. Nice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yegads, no backup? Not even a backstop that's 'old'? Not good.

Pouring one out for the shared history that's been lost.

Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I think I'm probably too old. I'm so used to OO's forum that I didn't like the previous new GamingTrend forum. Hopefully I can get used to the newest new GamingTrend forum. :)

One thing that I don't like is that I can't no longer use space in the username. So no more Victoria Raverna, it is now VRaverna there.
thFOOL

Post by thFOOL »

I think you can do Victoria.Raverna
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

thFOOL wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:39 pm I think you can do Victoria.Raverna
I prefer VRaverna because that is the username I use when I can't have a space in the name.
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

A heartbreaking loss of history but I guess it is what it is. I have re-registered there as Arnir.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I don't suppose there's any way to get data from the waybackmachine website? Looks like they have a few pulls from the last few years:

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Man, I stopped by over there for the first time since the Great non-Backup Debacle of 2019, and now I has a sad. The forum community didn't just not recover from the loss, it's flat-out a ghost town. There is literally no content but front-page post inserts to the forum, with uniformly no community replies.

Well, that's not true--there are exactly two threads with recent activity: one with a spammer necroing a year-plus old thread, and the Steam deals thread, consisting almost exclusively of Isg posting his updates with no community interaction.

Le sigh.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have an idea... how about..... we combine the GT front page.... with the OO forums.........
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's been suggested before. The real issue (in my opinion) comes down to who controls what, and what the branding is like. For instance, back on Gone Gold we had a number of restrictions on what we could talk about due to Rich's business relationships, and when Rip was supplying the OO servers we had other restrictions due to his business and location.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The software isn't that bad, if people would give it a chance. I think the problem is that the site integration doesn't do it any favours given the size of the community. The problem with it is that articles on the site also are forum postings and because of their frequency, they'll push off any user-content off the pages, which doesn't encourage posting.

An idea setup would be site content on its own set of subforums with another set of similar forums set up for user-posting, that way you don't have site-content drowning out the community.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
JCC

Post by JCC »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm I think the problem is that the site integration doesn't do it any favours given the size of the community.
Absolutely this. As soon as I first looked at the "new" Gaming Trend, I knew that it was dead to me as a forum. Forums are dying in general, and OO isn't exactly bustling either, but GT was doomed as soon as they made the foolhardy decision to not offer a separate forum from their site content which I never cared about.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
naednek

Post by naednek »

JCC wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 pm
Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm I think the problem is that the site integration doesn't do it any favours given the size of the community.
Absolutely this. As soon as I first looked at the "new" Gaming Trend, I knew that it was dead to me as a forum. Forums are dying in general, and OO isn't exactly bustling either, but GT was doomed as soon as they made the foolhardy decision to not offer a separate forum from their site content which I never cared about.
I believe we did have it seperate initially and then with the latest designed it was merged into one.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Their site content is actually pretty good (IMO), but I agree that integrating into the forum was a disaster. A hundred posts with links to front page content for every one actual discussion is a death sentence.

Sucks to see, but I kinda figured it was doomed once they lost everything. Sad all that posting history just went *poof*.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.