Minecraft

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cylus Maxii

Re: Minecraft

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yeah - I ran out of steam with SevTech. I liked the start but didn't enjoy the midgame. It is just too quest-locked for me and requires me to use oddly configured versions of mods that aren't really my style.

I have played and enjoyed SkyFactory 3. I agree that Refined Storage is great. I'm pretty sure we had AE and RFtools on the last server that McG2k1 ran for us. That was the last time I really had MP fun with MC.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well, I got my production reorganized this weekend as well as getting everything from my chicken farm and mob farm to go directly into my storage system, but as I was starting to get RFTools Dimensions setup I ran into the wall of needing Draconium. :P

I've got a handful of Draconium Dust from loot bags coming out of my mob farmer, so I could use that to get some Draconium seeds using Mystical Agriculture, but if what I read is correct I should be able to make end stone from glowstone + lava in which case I could crush and sieve it to get more Draconium Dust. I'll probably try to do it via making end stone and if that doesn't work go for Mystical Agriculture.

Since I couldn't really work on another dimension over the weekend, I went ahead and started work on a reactor to make sure I had plenty of power to get all my new stuff running. Turns out getting a nuclear reactor setup is pretty easy. Hardest part is the massive amount of iron you need for casings, and since I was going all out, it took me almost all of my stored diamond to make diamond blocks to act as coolant, but as a result I increased my power production by an order of magnitude. Still need to go back and get most of my power cables replaced so I can actually handle all the power the reactor is putting out, but I think that will run everything I have for the foreseeable future.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Cool! Maybe I'll start playing SkyFactory again..
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wow. Almost lost my base just now.

I was trying to spawn a wither to kill for a Nether Star, but somehow he escaped the wither proof box I made and starting running amok. When I finally realized he had escaped and tracked him down him he was sweeping back and forth strafing my chicken farm. Thankfully I was able to lead him off and kill him, and the damage was pretty minimal, but I think I lost 5 or 10 of my poor chickens.

I'm just lucky one of his shots didn't hit the reactor.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Anybody have interest in playing a heavily modded MC server? I'm thinking of a pack based on Direwolf20 1.12.2. I'm currently testing that with a couple of things removed (BloodMagic and Morph)and a couple added (Like the armor and leveling add-ons for Tinker's Construct, and the Fossils and Archaeology mod).
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I would be if there was a decent crew still interested. It loses a bit of its appeal for me when there is only a couple people around though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

not a fan of mods, but i would still participate
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

If you guys are interested, PM me your minecraft IDs so that I can whitelist you. I will send you the server IP and the config info. We have 4 players right now. We started about a week ago, so not a lot of progress so far.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I whitelisted Tao last night. I will do the same for Lordnine and hitbyambulance when I get home today.

There are some mod-specific things (like fossils) that only spawn in the Overworld. You will have to go exploring for many things if you get heavily into the various mods. Also, some vanilla Minecraft ores spawn only in the Nether or the End dimensions. So feel free to explore the Overworld and do branch mine or go spelunking, or dig tunnels between bases to your hearts' content.

However, if you tech up or need ores for some huge build, you will probably have greater needs than the overworld will really provide. If you are strip mining with some sort of quarry, then please do so in the mining dimension - it has ores in greater amounts and is a throw-away dimension that I will wipe from time to time when it gets torn up. For that same reason (resets) it is a bad idea to build heavily in the mining dimension. If your needs are more moderate, or you just want a change of scenery and a different challenge, there are also some pretty good ore deposits in the hollow hills in the Twilight Forest dimension. And, of course, there is always the Deep Dark dimension if you are up for lots of ores and tougher mobs. If you want to go totally crazy, you can get into mods that will enable you to generate a pocket dimension that is resource heavy in whatever you like - if you can generate enough power..
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I whitelisted hitbyambulance and lordnine last night. Say tao was on and out exploring. Hope to see all of you this weekend!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Mod seems to crash the loader every time it gets to step 6/7. :(
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Are you using the Twitch/Curse loader for FTB packs? Is your Java current? Do you have sufficient RAM allocated? (5-6GB suggested)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I got it to load finally but apparently I don't have all the mods you are running. I looked for the ones you mentioned and don't see them in the resource packs so not sure how to get them.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Resource packs are textures. You will need to unlock the profile (or a copy of it) in order to see the options to add mods via the "get more content" option.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Ah I found it, it is in the tiny button with 3 dots in the upper right after you "View Profile". Still says I don't have the right mods though.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It says there is a conflict with Bibliocraft and Cosmetic ArmorReworked.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I was able to get in last night but getting everything going was a bit painful. I am running the Twitch client and already had FTB Direwolf installed and simply updated to the latest version. Unfortunately Twitch did not recognize any of the mods that Cylus mentioned in his PM to me. What I wound up doing was attempting to log on to Cylus Maxii's server which gave me a bunch of required mods, which I wrote down. I then had to go to CurseForge and download each mod individually and copy them in to the correct Minecraft folder, attempt to login, get the message about what I was missing, back to CurseForge, download, copy, rinse and repeat until I was all updated.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

You do need the current versions of Bibliocraft and Cosmetic Armor reworked as well. I forgot about those ones.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I keep reading that as Biblecraft.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just bought this game and I must say they don't make learning it easy.
There is absolutely no built in tutorial. You have to use osmosis.
I have read 15 tutorials and watched hours worth of video tutorials and none of them give the basics either.
I think I finally have them figured out but it's too late now. I'll have to try it after some sleep.
There are 5 year olds making videos of this! And I'm having problems. <sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

5yo are built to learn. You’ve move past that point.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'll give an example of a basic question that I cant find..............how do I delete a game?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 am I'll give an example of a basic question that I cant find..............how do I delete a game?
When you go to the screen where you select world you should just have a button below that says delete world.
Enlarge Image
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Mine doesn't light up and so I can't "push" anything.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

dbt1949 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:33 am I just bought this game and I must say they don't make learning it easy.
There is absolutely no built in tutorial. You have to use osmosis.
I have read 15 tutorials and watched hours worth of video tutorials and none of them give the basics either.
I think I finally have them figured out but it's too late now. I'll have to try it after some sleep.
There are 5 year olds making videos of this! And I'm having problems. <sigh>
What version do you have?
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Java 1.13
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Because Minecraft is the ultimate sandbox you are expected to learn by doing/failing. There's never going to be a tutorial because Mojang doesn't want to 'guide' players.

What are you wanting to get out of the game? After reading and watching tutorials, specifically what's giving you issues? Note that many of the kids making videos started out on a multiplayer server where they could get help with playing the game. I'm going to start a Realm server once 1.14 drops, it'll be vanilla without mods, so you may want to wait for me? Or get the Windows 10 edition also known as the Bedrock edition and join some of the public realms there.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

All I knew about was seeing people crafting stuff and building stuff from that. I had no idea the difference between Creative and Survival. I had no idea about anything in the game except you built things as you wish.
Even now that I have a basic idea still don't know how to operate the program, hence my asking about something as stupid as how to delete a game. I had two dozen worlds I started and I want to delete them and start over again. Somehow I kept starting a new world. I ended up looking for the save game directory on my computer and even then I can't find it except by running %appdata%.
I read where when you open a game there's a tutorial. But there isn't.
I think now I know enough to play a game but things like not being able to delete an old game are driving me crazier. Somehow I missed the day when they taught the very basics of the game.
There are plenty of videos out there to show me what to do in the game once I get there but I couldn't figure out how to get there.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

There’s a tutorial in the Win 10/ Better Together edition, not the Java edition.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Thanks for the help.
I started a flat world, and I do mean flat. There's a monk or something living there in the big wooden abbey or castle.
So I went around building this mini rock castle. Nothing special just a learning experience.
Anyrate this world is populated by all sorts of critters. I could make out most of the except for this big green block. Kept getting in my way. Finally I got tired of it and got a sword and started whacking on it.
Sort of like Butcher Pete. I'd whack at it awhile and it would break into smaller pieces and I'd whack on them and they'd break into smaller pieces and I'd whack on them and I'd kill them.
Then I noticed I'd acquired slimeballs.
After a night of slews of monsters the next day arrived and the slime monsters have grown bigger.
Guess I'll build a taller castle. Looks like this is going to be a first person Dwarf Fortress.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Keep those slimeballs, you'll need them eventually. Lucky to start with them close by, I've only had that happen once in hundreds of starts.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

dbt1949 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:36 pm Looks like this is going to be a first person Dwarf Fortress.
Dwarf Fortress actually was an inspiration for this game
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm in creative and a flat world.
How do I get water to put in my moat? There are no large bodies of water around. I tried running a trench from the abbey's water supply to mine but no go. I finally got a water bucket and added water that way but it seems very inefficient and I can't seem to get my moat filled.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:46 pm I'm in creative and a flat world.
How do I get water to put in my moat? There are no large bodies of water around. I tried running a trench from the abbey's water supply to mine but no go. I finally got a water bucket and added water that way but it seems very inefficient and I can't seem to get my moat filled.
You could look up some videos on how to do that.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember it being a huge pain, but I haven't played in long enough that they may have altered it (and I've never played in Creative.) The old trick was to dig a hole 2x2 squares, 1 square deep. Empty a bucket of water into opposite corners. It creates an infinite well near where you're working.

As I recall, I made my last moat by doing the same thing - dividing it up into 2x2 sections and filling them, then knocking out the dividing blocks and filling those. It took forever. Hopefully there is a faster way these days.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

In survival, the easiest way is to dig a moat 1 block deep and use the infinite water trick to spread the water. Then, dig down and make it deeper..

In creative, I think you can just place source blocks of water. I don't know, creative is not my jam.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It rained for forty days and forty nights and still didn't add anything to my moat.
I build a giant enclosed fort area with a roof so the monsters would leave me alone to work in piece.
No such luck. <sigh>
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Technically you can make a large sheet of water by putting the checkerboard pattern of water sources at the edges, then as they form new infinite sources with the newly-formed adjacent sources it'll just keep on going. Much easier to set up with breakable ice blocks that form water though. Though you do need to form two sides of your large sheet at the edges.

Code: Select all

W = water source; O = empty block; X = "pit" surface edge

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOX
XO                   X     
XW                   X
XO                   X
XW                   X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Fills right up at that surface level. Then you can use Cylus's trick to make it a deeper pool.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Klif

Post by Klif »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 am It rained for forty days and forty nights and still didn't add anything to my moat.
I build a giant enclosed fort area with a roof so the monsters would leave me alone to work in piece.
No such luck. <sigh>
there's a lot of hidden rules regarding how and when hostile mobs spawn. i'd guess for your setup, that's there are spots where it's not quite light enough.

some rules for mob spawns in vanilla java minecraft include:
within 240 blocks of a player
more than 24 blocks away from a player
can only spawn on a solid block (not glass or air, and others)
can only spawn in unoccupied space (with some minor exceptions)
difficulty cannot be set to peaceful
light level must be 7 or below (torches and sunlight gives off max level 14 light, and it drops one number per block away)

ALSO: falling rain won't fill up your moat, or anything else, in vanilla minecraft. you gotta shlep water with a bucket. use the tips above to create an infinite source of water.

A lot of the fun for me in my early minecraft days was trying, failing, and trying again to figure out the mechanics of the game. but in my more recent plays, i've been more focused on the adventuring part. One of my most enjoyable ways to play is to just go underground in survival/peaceful and mine. I've done that for hours, just gathering resources, destroying the stone, making mineshafts and stripmines.

that's one of the reasons minecraft gained traction, and why it's stuck around so long: you can make the game whatever you want it to be. Adventuring? Done. Building? Done. Destroying? Done. Crafting? Done. Mod it to heck and do more than intented? Done.

Sounds like you may just need to experiment with which "mode" you're in when you're playing!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Klif wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:04 am some rules for mob spawns in vanilla java minecraft include:
within 240 blocks of a player
more than 24 blocks away from a player
can only spawn on a solid block (not glass or air, and others)
can only spawn in unoccupied space (with some minor exceptions)
difficulty cannot be set to peaceful
light level must be 7 or below (torches and sunlight gives off max level 14 light, and it drops one number per block away)
tl;dr: Light it up. Any dark square is a chance for enemies to spawn. Also be aware that spiders can climb walls, and enemies can swim. I used to make 'push' moats to keep them out - one block deep, several blocks wide, then only put water at the inside edge so that it is always flowing away from my walls. Anything wandering close falls into the water, which continually pushes them away from the walls.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)