Apex Legends [battle royale]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Octavious

Re: Apex Legends [battle royale]

Post by Octavious »

The one thing it shows is how a AAA developer can do things MUCH better than the PUBG devs. It takes them ages to do anything and then they still screw it up. I wish they would get bought by one of the AAA companies and given proper resources who know what they are doing. The game should be WAY more polished at this point than it is.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wish it showed your kill count no matter what legend you play. I mean they all start the same other than a unique skill. I hate being lvl 7 and it show everyone 0 kills when I do have a few on another character. But Ive seen lvl 20s with 0 kills and lvl 8s with 20+.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

From the crates you can get different things that you can display on the characters. I find that annoying as well. I'm almost level 30 and a few characters I have never played.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some players have 3 badges on their character sheet as the game starts and I cant tell their level. It covers it up.

Also Im lvl 7 and Ill see the enemy champion is 47 or something. Never encouraging.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:16 pm The one thing it shows is how a AAA developer can do things MUCH better than the PUBG devs. It takes them ages to do anything and then they still screw it up. I wish they would get bought by one of the AAA companies and given proper resources who know what they are doing. The game should be WAY more polished at this point than it is.
I can't disagree with this. They have bucket loads of money, so it comes down to expertise, rather than resources. I'll not comment on design decisions, but certainly from a technical standpoint, they often fall short.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I can never remember to use my skills in combat..too busy just shooting and dodging. Who is the dev of Apex? Never mind is Respawn through EA. Need to look them up cant recall what they've done.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:38 pm I can never remember to use my skills in combat..too busy just shooting and dodging. Who is the dev of Apex? Never mind is Respawn through EA. Need to look them up cant recall what they've done.
Titanfall 1 and 2, and the team comes from early Call of Duty design heritage.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Using the skills comes after getting comfortable with the game. Depending on how much you play these types of games it could take longer. It took me more than a few rounds to really understand what was going on with each character. The one thing I know is that I hate playing any character that doesn't have a way to escape. Sumo due and Poison dude I'm looking at you. I would stay away from those two in the beginning.

The easiest one I've played is Lifeline. Her skills are pretty straightforward and even if you suck you can at least drop packages for the players that don't suck. :)

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Won a few matches last night. The best one was where I saved the day twice. First time the two teammates were down and there was one guy left on the other squad. I was able to kill him and rez them both. And then I killed the last dude to win the match. I only had 4 kills to their 10 or 11 each, but at least I helped. :lol:

On the flip side I got totally steamrolled in the final circle in another match and my teammate said I should go kill myself. I had a good chuckle at that one. :lol: Nervermind the fact that he was dead way before me.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dataminers suggest wall running, double jumping and titans in store for Apex.

Considering interviews with developers suggested that testing indicated that those things weren't viable in their BR, I don't know what to think. On the one hand, I love Titanfall. On the other, why wouldn't I just play Titanfall?

Do I really care whether this is true or not? I guess not. Still, developers addressed these topics and pretty clearly said no. A month after release there is evidence otherwise? Annoying.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Personally I think the dataminers are just finding relics of earlier experiments in development that didn't pan out. The devs have already said they tried out wallrunning and it didn't work well for this sort of game.

Not gonna lie though, battle royale with giant mechs sounds pretty awesome.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's certainly possible. It's even possible that it wasn't there before but old code got mixed in with the latest build by mistake.

I assume we'll know soon enough.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Damn won like 10 matches today. I really like this game. For whatever reason the flow of it works really well with how I play. Once the looting was figured out I was good. I wish there was a way to check for people streaming your matches like there was for pubg. I've run into a few elite streamers so I know that I have made more than one stream.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Thanks to Octavious for squadding with me for a while last night! He could fly higher than an eagle, while I was the dead weight beneath his wings.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

:) I was on fire those matches. The rest of the night I was terrible. :grund: In one match AWS got wiped along with our teammate. I came back and wiped the whole squad with a wingman. I wish I had a video of that. It was the awesome.

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Pro tip before they patch it out. The wingman is 100% accurate with hipfire under like 50m. This means you can jump around like an idiot and if you have halfway decent aim you can wreck people. That gun is totally broken right now. Shroud actually doesn't play with it most of the time because it makes it too easy for him.

Oh on a side note he was just in one of my matches. I died before I got around to getting wrecked by him. :P

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

So I have about 100 hours played (yes I have issues) and feel like I can give a pretty good idea on my opinion on the game.

Circle:
The circle is in no way as terrifying as PUBG. I think they might need to buff this as in the early circles you really can just ignore it. Yet I still run into players who freak out even on the first circle. Noobs ;) Back in my day the circle would kick you in the balls. And we didn't have shoes AND there was broken glass everywhere

Weapons:
This needs A LOT of tweaking. There's only a handful of guns that I end up using.

Energy weapons -
Almost all require an attachment before being useful. This is annoying... Mix that with the energy ammo being a bit harder to find and I end up almost never using the guns. Exception is the triple take since it doesn't need much ammo and doesn't need a turbo charger.

Heavy weapons -
I'd say these really need a buff. The SMGs outshine these guns in almost every way. The spitfire with a purple clip can do insane damage, but the fire rate is super slow. With how people bounce around it makes it hard to use the gun. The others are mostly burst guns with the prowler being A BEAST if you find the select fire attachment. I wish they would just remove that requirement... Hemlock is good if you put it in single fire, but it's not good close range at all unless you are Shroud. You aren't Shroud.

SMGs -
Alternator sucks balls
R-99 and R-301 are freaking beasts. I'm actually going to try playing with that as my two guns and see what happens. With purple clips and good aim you can just murder people

Pistols:
Wingman is 100 percent broken. In the right hands you don't need any other gun. The rest are pistols so whatever...

Shotguns:
These I have little issue with... They work how I would expect them to.

Snipers:
Not all that useful with the style of play that happens in this game. People move too much and the engagements are almost all close range.

So my biggest things would be:
ARs need to be made more viable. I don't see why you would run anything aside from a r-99 or r-301 as your main. Default clip sizes should be buffed. In a hot drop if someone gets a shield you can't really kill them with a full burst from the default amount of rounds. I think that's silly... There's way too many times I unload on a guy and he has like 1 hitpoint left and I'm out of ammo. Lame...

Ranking...
I don't think they have a ranking system at all right now. I'm frequently getting paired with level 5-10 players. This is dumb...

Crates -
They drop you apex crates so infrequently that it's insane. They need to give more things to people that play a lot.

Anyway it's a fun game, but it certainly can use some more updates to balance it out. Which isn't surprising considering the game came out of nowhere.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Just saw my first CHAMPION screen! I was carried by a pair of lvl 72 players. I did shoot two enemies down but didn't get the kills. I had to be helped up once and at the end was on the ground again but still shooting somehow. Was good. Probably never see that screen again lol. Doesn't seem to matter how many bullets I put in people I dont get the kills. And a couple hits and Im down. I wear blue and purple armor when I can...I just dont know the guns. I grab what I can fast then switch if something seems interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I HATE theres no way to rejoin your squad after a crash. We were doing great..2 squads to go with champion dead and I we used a balloon to travel and I crashed going up. It never gives you the choice to rejoin. I restarted instantly too.

EDIT: Another crash in the middle of a good fight. I give up.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think I've crashed once. Maybe check your video drivers?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Octavious wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:30 pm I don't think I've crashed once. Maybe check your video drivers?
Says 417.22. Dec 3 2018. Uh oh...there are new ones....but had these when my wife died. I cant change them yet...just not in me. Even video drivers still kick my ass in my mind.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The new ones were optimized specifically for Apex Legends and Division 2. If you're not updating them due to a sentimental attachment to the old ones... well, I don't even have an answer for that.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

In a heroic feat that will likely never be duplicated, last night I... got two kills in a single round.

Please, no autographs.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Nice! I'm still stuck on 7 as my best. One day I will hit double digits! There's A LOT of hacking going on right now which isn't all that shocking for a free game. I'm getting almost insta killed by people with a rank of 1 and 20 kills. :lol: It really feels like PUBG before they cleaned it up a bit. I even get the asian bots chanting out links to cheats. :tjg: Why can't people just play the darn game?

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

AWS260 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:30 pm In a heroic feat that will likely never be duplicated, last night I... got two kills in a single round.

Please, no autographs.
Trust me, I understand. Solidarity!

and congrats.

:clap:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Getting tired of the rampant cheating. Our entire squad died to a single guy across a river gorge firing a LMG and hitting us dead on. We popped smoke and hid behind rocks and yet the other two in my squad died then I got hit with a couple grenades. I know they have banned thousands. But online today is not like it was in the mid 90s. Cheaters ruin it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BWahahahahaha!!
While there are some ways (difficult as they may be) around Respawn’s hardware ban, most cheaters are still furious. Their anger isn’t just directed at Respawn, but at the websites or companies that sold them the cheats. A good majority of these cheats cost anywhere from $60 to $150, depending on the program. That is a lot of money to pay to have your account banned a day later. However, the websites that sell these cheats are promising the buyers undetectable and unbannable hacks. While some of these do get through the Anti-Cheat software, many are being flagged and leaving the buyers unable to play Apex on the same PC again.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I am playing this again. It's still fun! Things have definitely changed while I was away - new maps, new characters, probably tons of balance tweaks - but the core loop is intact and still really fun.

Also, I remain really bad at this.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

My son is playing this one a ton. I'll still boot up Fortnite to finish quests and collect stuff, I've never gotten hooked by Apex (yet?) primarily because I'm really really bad at it. :D I usually just run around swapping supplies and as soon as I encounter anyone - I get lasered and die. My son makes it look fun though!