Vaccine-autism how long will this crap be taken seriously

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Moat_Man

Re: Vaccine-autism how long will this crap be taken seriously

Post by Moat_Man »

Looks like it's fallen quite a bit. Imbeciles. They are endangering the health and lives of children who can't be vacinated because of other conditions. Vacinations should be manditory or you don't get public education. Really don't want to vacinate your kids? Then home school them.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Home schooling isn’t enough. If you want to live without consideration for the safety of others, you shouldn’t be allowed to live near others who do. Or, at the very least, face legal challenges for your ability to raise your children.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas Measles
Six cases of the measles have been confirmed in Texas in recent days, health officials say.

The Texas Department of State Health Services confirmed a case in Bell County on Tuesday, a day after five cases were announced — three in Harris County, one in Galveston County and one in Montgomery County. Five of those involve children.

The three Harris County patients are two boys younger than 2 and a woman who is between 25 and 35 years old. The cases are the first in Harris County this year. The last was in Houston in 2018, according to the county's health department.

In Galveston County, the confirmed case is a boy between 1 and 2 years old who was tested Jan. 28. Health officials say the case is part of the cluster in the region.
The Bell County case involves a child who is not school-aged and is too young to be vaccinated, according to the county health department.
Two of the children had recently been immunized and "likely were exposed to measles before receiving the vaccine or before the body could mount a full immune response," [Texas Department of State Health Services spokesman Chris] Van Deusen said.
There were nine confirmed cases of measles in Texas last year.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

This:
Nearly one in four kindergarten students during the 2017-18 school year did not get all their immunizations, according to data from the Washington Department of Health. At three schools in the county, more than 40 percent of kindergartners did not receive all recommended shots before starting school.
Leads to:
Washington state has declared a public emergency in the wake of an outbreak in Clark County that has infected at least 53 people, mostly children. Another four cases have been confirmed in neighboring Multnomah County, Oregon. Another case has been identified in King County, which includes Seattle.

And yet:
OLYMPIA — Amid a measles outbreak that has sickened more than 50 people in the Pacific Northwest, Washington lawmakers heard testimony Friday on a bill that would remove parents’ ability to claim a personal or philosophical exemption to opt their school-age children out of the combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine.

Hundreds of people opposed to the measure lined up more than an hour before the start of the hearing before the House Health Care and Wellness Committee, many wearing stickers with the bill number, HB 1638, within a crossed out circle.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Wait, this affects me and mine? Give me the juice!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wouldn't that mean that vaccinations were down to about 20% or less in order to be able to "soar 500%!"? Even in the worst vaxxer haven I can't believe vaccinations were down that low. edit: Ok, lawbeef's link is claiming 25% so...I guess it's possible. *shudder*
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If the initial rate is 1%, you can "soar 500%" by getting to a 6% rate. Percentage math is weird.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It's just referring to how many doses were ordered vs. last year.
This time last year, country health clinics put in orders for 530 doses of one of two types of measles vaccine. This year, they've order five times the amount, tallying around 3,150 doses.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:19 pm If the initial rate is 1%, you can "soar 500%" by getting to a 6% rate. Percentage math is weird.
Exactly.
gilraen wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:28 pm It's just referring to how many doses were ordered vs. last year.
This time last year, country health clinics put in orders for 530 doses of one of two types of measles vaccine. This year, they've order five times the amount, tallying around 3,150 doses.
It's nice that birth rates and thus immunization schedules for the county are uniform between years. Makes this sort of stat inherently meaningful.

Note I'm not actually saying that the stat has no meaning, only that without knowledge of how many kids *should* be receiving vaccines this year vs last year, it's not as meaningful as I'm sure they (meaning the article writer/publisher) would like us to believe. It could be less, it could be more, it could be exactly as meaningful as they imply. Who knows? I'm not doing the legwork required to find out.

I understand that the likelihood is that the numbers are very significant, I just don't like the way it's presented to me, particularly when people without math backgrounds are likely to interpret the numbers in ways that they shouldn't be.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm confused. I don't do Twitter and the tweets posted on OO are often just hashtags that it seems the tweeter feels are self explanatory with no context. When I actually click on the tweet, it is often a thread that is wildly divergent from the original OO thread topic.

If no context is included in the OO post, I am often completely lost and never figure it out.

Is there something especially noteworthy about this one? Because otherwise, there's a reason I don't do Twitter.

Edit:. Ok, found it. Was said by some nobody spouse of some WH personnel.

Edit: sorry nobody spouse of WH aide. Edit: And former president of Fox News apparently.

Link:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/07/11/poli ... index.html
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

It might be true that the entire population of baby boomers alive today had measles as kids, but she's leaving out a group of boomers. Those who died as children because of measles but would have survived if there'd been a vaccine. :grund: What a dumbass!
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If we can't have herd immunity, the herd will be culled. I guess a lot of people must be fine with that. I've already had measles, so I don't care. :snooty:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Of course, it's worse than that. Measles weakens the immune system so significantly that it puts you at risk for other diseases.
Scientists have known for decades that having measles suppresses kids' immune systems for several weeks or months, leaving them ill-equipped to fight off pneumonia, bronchitis, diarrheal diseases and other infections.

Now a team of researchers has suggested that the measles virus may also confer a longer-lasting sort of "immune-amnesia" that makes it harder for people to stave off other illnesses for two years or more.

They turned to data from England and Wales -- developed nations where disease levels are generally low, allowing a less-muddled view of measles' effects. Studying measles incidence and deaths from infectious disease both before and after the introduction of the measles vaccine in the U.K. in the 1960s, Mina and the team saw a sort of shadow effect, where deaths from a variety of non-measles infectious diseases closely tracked measles incidence. The more measles in a population, the more deaths from other illnesses in the 28-month period that followed.
Almost 20 years ago measles was declared eliminated in the United States. Now we have larger and larger outbreaks occurring in various communities regularly. It's borderline criminal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

How are the other childhood diseases faring? Chicken pox? Mumps? Never hear about anything but measles.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's because it's so insanely infectious that it spreads like wildfire. The idea that someone could cough on a train or a bus or in a room and two hours later complete strangers could enter that same space and potentially get exposed and infected? ? The other diseases are still around but they don't tend to rip through communities like the measles can.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Measles fights cancer. Nuff said.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To be the first to kill you?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:02 am Measles fights cancer. Nuff said.
I get that, it's just that the internet and thus twitter is filled with crazy people. Without the context of who it was saying it, it was just another crazy person on twitter saying crazy shit. I don't do twitter in part to avoid crazy people saying crazy shit being part of my day. That she's the spouse of former Fox News president and current WH "top" aide makes it newsworthy (I guess), but that context was missing from the tweet itself. Or at least seemed to be. Like I said, being confused by quoted tweets here on OO is a fairly regular thing for me.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're not the only one. I ended up going down the, "who is this nutball?" rabbit hole as well.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can't wait for the fringe lunatic derp explosion for this one:
The head of the US Food and Drug Administration says that if states don't require more schoolchildren to get vaccinated, the federal government might have to step in.

Nearly all states allow children to attend school even if their parents opt out of vaccines. These vaccine exemptions are especially popular in Washington state, where a measles outbreak started last month that has now sickened at least 67 people in four states. And New York has been working to contain its largest outbreak in decades, which began in October and has sickened more than 200 people.

"Some states are engaging in such wide exemptions that they're creating the opportunity for outbreaks on a scale that is going to have national implications," FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb said Tuesday in an interview with CNN.

If "certain states continue down the path that they're on, I think they're going to force the hand of the federal health agencies," he added.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

We get "Our records show that your child has not received 1 or more vaccinations. If this is not rectified by date, they will be suspended until it is" in Ontario. So far it has been about updating records, not actually getting the vaccination, but it's pretty clear they aren't messing around.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm all for it. We don't have to force vaccinations on children - I get it. But we can't let people that opt out of vaccinations for their kids enjoy the same benefits as those that do. I've been saying it for a decade - higher insurance premiums/surcharges for those that opt out and forced at-home quarantine for the period of communicability when there's a disease outbreak at the school. Hell, maybe when there's international travel involved, there's also mandatory at-home quarantine for 21 days following the return. We're not unreasonable - I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ditto. If you don't want to be part of the herd when it comes to safety, then you shouldn't be allowed in the barn.
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:03 pm Ditto. If you don't want to be part of the herd when it comes to safety, then you shouldn't be allowed in the barn.
Good approach to vaccination and furry slumber parties. Win/win!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thankfully the furry community is essentially wearing face masks throughout their conventions and other gatherings. I shudder to think of the consequences were that not so. And by shudder, I mean shrug and go "meh".
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:We're not unreasonable - I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes.
They never had the head for all that bigger picture stuff.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good luck. We're pretty sure we know how it'll end. Meanwhile, NJ is finally looking end religious exemptions. This has been something they've been working on for 5+ years , but Governor Flip-Flop repeatedly indicated he'd veto it.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 pm
Smoove_B wrote:We're not unreasonable - I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes.
They never had the head for all that bigger picture stuff.
:clap:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm happy it's at least two people that get my jokes. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Texas Lawmaker Completely Unconcerned About Measles Outbreak Because of 'Antibiotics'
One proponent, Republican state representative and outspoken Texans for Vaccine Choice ally Bill Zedler, told the Observer the U.S. is “not the Soviet Union,” bragged about how he was never debilitated by contracting diseases that hadn’t had vaccines yet, and said no one is dying from measles since we have “antibiotics and that kind of stuff”:
Word to Zedler: Measles is a virus. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections. There is no prescription medication to treat measles, which Healthline notes can weaken the immune system and invite everything from ear infections to potentially lethal pneumonia. It can also spread to the brain, causing encephalitis. But one can prevent contracting said virus by getting the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine, which the CDC says is 97 percent effective with the recommended two doses.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Non-profit organization puts up dozens of anti-vax electronic billboards in the Toronto area.

CBC article

Billboard company decides maybe this isn't worth the bad press.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Rand Paul is a moron.
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., did not question the panel, but called vaccine requirements “un-American".

“I’m not here to say ‘don’t vaccinate your kids.’ I believe the benefits of vaccines greatly outweigh the risks, but I still do not favor giving up on liberty for a false sense of security,” he said.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

His neighbor is looking more and more like a hero as time goes by.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hopefully this starts to work its way into more popular media, but the CDC released a short piece on a kid from Oregon that wasn't vaccinated against Tetanus:
In 2017, a boy aged 6 years who had received no immunizations sustained a forehead laceration while playing outdoors on a farm; the wound was cleaned and sutured at home. Six days later, he had episodes of crying, jaw clenching, and involuntary upper extremity muscle spasms, followed by arching of the neck and back (opisthotonus) and generalized spasticity. Later that day, at the onset of breathing difficulty, the parents contacted emergency medical services, who air-transported him directly to a tertiary pediatric medical center. The boy subsequently received a diagnosis of tetanus and required approximately 8 weeks of inpatient care, followed by rehabilitation care, before he was able to resume normal activities.
And the point I've been arguing for:
The boy required 57 days of inpatient acute care, including 47 days in the intensive care unit. The inpatient charges totaled $811,929 (excluding air transportation, inpatient rehabilitation, and ambulatory follow-up costs). One month after inpatient rehabilitation, he returned to all normal activities, including running and bicycling. Despite extensive review of the risks and benefits of tetanus vaccination by physicians, the family declined the second dose of DTaP and any other recommended immunizations.

This is the first pediatric tetanus case in >30 years in Oregon (unpublished data, Oregon Health Authority, 2018). The diagnosis of tetanus is made based on clinical findings because the bacterium C. tetani is difficult to grow from wounds. A wound culture from the child’s laceration did not grow C. tetani. However, a negative wound culture does not rule out disease. The health care costs to treat this child’s preventable disease were approximately 72 times the mean (2012) cost of $11,143 for a U.S. pediatric hospitalization (1). A recent report describing adult tetanus cases included hospital charges ranging from $22,229 to $1,024,672 (2).
You don't want to vaccinate your kid? Your choice. But you're also completely on the hook for the $800k+ worth of medical expenses that could have been likely avoided with a $100 doctor visit and the recommended preventative routine series of vaccinations.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Doesn't matter.

Like gun control, no one cares (or are unable to internalize the possibility, more likely) until it hits them personally. Or, like a certain former forumer, they think it's better to just die rather than take small, easy preventative steps to protect against future catastrophe.

The idea that a preventable disease isn't enough to make anti-vaxxers get vaccinated but the potential for a million dollar medical bill is seems incredibly strange. Still, I guess different people have different motivations. Maybe the story will move some people in the right direction.