Changes are afoot

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

Lassr

Re: Changes are afoot

Post by Lassr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:32 pm
Someone (stimpy?) mentioned the Forum Games forum. We talked about that a bit, and there may come a time when we remove it/fold it into another forum. It was very popular at one time, but it may have run its course as an independent forum. We'll keep an eye on it for a while and see where it is in a few months before making a call.
I'm not sure these game will ever be resurrected, they may have run their course. I can no longer get OO at work unless I use tapatalk and that is not fun trying to keep up with an WW game. I think it would be fine moving to Gaming in General, even if there is another game i don't think we'll see the traffic like we used to.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Love the new titles. They make me smile. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Just noticed the description of Gaming in General as Electronic in it. May want to edit that.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Or change Games of the electric kind to Games of the Moving Picture kind.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Gaming in general started off as the place to discuss the gaming industry itself back in the GG days. When consoles and PC gaming got closer together, it was the place to discuss general video game topics that applied to both. Since we've merged, though, I tend to agree that those topics now belong in the new section.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Were you drunk when you created those new forum names? They're terrible and the words aren't capitalized properly. It's a temporary joke right?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

In an effort to be constructive...

How about:
PC, Console and Mobile Gaming

and:

Bargain Bin and Trading
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yes, it's a temporary joke.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I was channelling my inner GreenGoo.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:25 am To be honest, Gaming in General is already about 2/3 tabletop gaming. If we split that off, there wouldn't be enough left in GiG to justify its existence.
I'd vote for just renaming Gaming in General to Tabletop Gaming.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:06 pm Yes, it's a temporary joke.
Dammit I can't troll the forum if you spill the beans -- although I'm disappointed it took someone so long to speak up.

Anyways we need names for the forums that were merged. Feel free to speak up if you have a preference.
No.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 pm
Z-Corn wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:02 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm I'd expect we're also going to start getting new members based on hip ailments, retirement funding questions and Jimmy Buffet concerts.
I'd like to hear fellow members' ideas about Velcro shoes.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 88896.html
People's shoes are crashing after a Nike app stopped working.

Nike's new Adapt BB shoes have been hailed as the future of sneakers, after they were released just days ago. They use futuristic motors to allow them to be precisely tightened up automatically, without any shoelaces or other input.

All of that can be controlled by an app, which allows people to slip on the shoes and then let the motors do the work of tightening them up, in a way shoelaces would traditionally work. They use much the same technology that allowed Nike to recreate the self-lacing shoes from Back To The Future in a limited run.

But that feature has broken after the Android app stopped syncing with the sneakers. Now, the shoes have lost one of their main features and cannot be controlled in the way they are intended.
No mention is made of Nike changes related to afoot blown out by Zion. Nike sought to comment, but alas, there was no Sports forum to comment in.
Mechanical, but not electronic or velcro. Kizik.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:24 pm It's been shot down before and will be shot down again, but I move that you split Sports out of EBG.

I don't visit any of the gaming forums often enough to have strong opinions about the mergers.
Now there's a change worth embracing!

Thank you for all your hard work, Fishpants!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, so the trade/bargain forum name, haha, jokey, good stuff. Can we get it changed once the joke has run its course? Like in a week or month or whatever.

It's not that I don't appreciate the humour, it's just the thought of seeing that name in 3 years is a bit off-putting.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, thanks for the upgrades!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For names, I like themetatic, but I believe in the value of utility more.

Video Games
Other Games (was GiG, changed the order to put it after Video Games.)
Trades & Bargains

As to the sports forum, I was more in favor of it in the past when we had a lot of traffic and posts were getting pushed off. Now I fear that if all of the sports folks left EBG, it would end up being too slow. I do wish that sports posts would be tagged as such. Too often the poster assumes that the reader knows what he's talking about, and I end up reading a couple of paragraphs and having to google things before I find out that it's about some footballer from 80s.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Inverarity

Post by Inverarity »

Good stuff. Thanks FishPants.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The transitional forum names were bugging my obsessive irrationality. Mainly the fact that they weren't all the same tone. But I figured it would take care of itself.

Thanks for the work you do in keeping this place running, FishPants!
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wow, this place is full of sticks in the mud (the commenters, not the guys doing the work).
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

I really liked the joke names. We’re not running a Fortune 500 company here, it’s a community of gaming and silliness.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Great changes, well done team!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra

Post by Default »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:17 pm Exactly. A new member found the site not because of a PC or console game, but because of a thread on painted miniatures.

I'd expect we're also going to start getting new members based on hip ailments, retirement funding questions and Jimmyfree Buffets.
Ahem.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

stessier wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:39 am Wow, this place is full of sticks in the mud (the commenters, not the guys doing the work).
:oops: :doh: :clap:
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Octopuses don't have feet. :tjg:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

But Octopuses do wrap themselves tightly around a stick.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kelric wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:22 pm Octopuses don't have feet. :tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

But they don't have feet, despite the root of the word.