The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GungHo

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by GungHo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 pm
Speaking in Hanoi after his summit with Mr Kim broke down, Mr Trump said he did not believe the North Korean leader was aware of Otto Warmbier's ordeal.

Mr Trump said: "He tells me he didn't know about it, and I will take him at his word."
Are you fucking kidding me?

Full article.
We have such a wide variety of choices when it comes to this, but it's possible this is the most disgusting and vile this president has been thus far in his term. And yeah I know there is plenty of competition...

I can only imagine how this family is feeling after hearing their president betraying their son's death to the world.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not on the same level as the ridiculousness with Kim, but please do enjoy the President of the United States promoting his golf course in Scotland. This is normal.

Very proud of perhaps the greatest golf course anywhere in the world. Also, furthers U.K. relationship!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's not even the best in Scotland and he knows it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:31 pm Not on the same level as the ridiculousness with Kim, but please do enjoy the President of the United States promoting his golf course in Scotland. This is normal.

[...]
Very proud of perhaps the greatest golf course anywhere in the world. Also, furthers U.K. relationship!
Oh, hey. It turns out that the Aberdeen golf course is involved in a costly legal battle pitting TrumpCo against British regulators.

I'm sure his suggestion of a tie to our "U.K. relationship" has nothing to do with that, though.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Daniel Dale live-blogged Trump's rambling two-hour mostly off-script CPAC speech.

It's a doozy. Thread:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:55 pm Daniel Dale live-blogged Trump's rambling two-hour mostly off-script CPAC speech.

It's a doozy. Thread:

What's the point? It's infuriatingly frustrating to see him make shit up time and time again and never have to answer for it.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Is there a video posted yet of his speech? Because from the Daniel Dale posts, Trump sounds absolutely insane - like the most deranged and unhinged to- date.
Isgrimnur

The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jump to 1h05m to get to the intro. 1h10m50s to get to his entrance.
Last edited by Isgrimnur on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:12 pm Is there a video posted yet of his speech? Because from the Daniel Dale posts, Trump sounds absolutely insane - like the most deranged and unhinged to- date.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

30 minutes in...and I need a double. He's a goddamn carnival barker; that's my takeaway.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if Pecker had to buy the American flag’s sexual assault story after the conference?
Covfefe!
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:00 pm 30 minutes in...and I need a double. He's a goddamn carnival barker; that's my takeaway.
You suffered through 30 minutes of that? Holy crap. 30 seconds and I need a double.
18-1™ & 2-0
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:00 pm 30 minutes in...and I need a double. He's a goddamn carnival barker; that's my takeaway.
This campaign season is going to be so infuriating and nauseating.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Trump Just Might Have Won the 2020 Election Today
There is simply no potential candidate in the Democratic Party who wouldn't be absolutely blown off the stage by him. I say this as someone who is neither a Trump fanboy nor a Never Trumper. But he was not simply good, he was Prince-at-the-Super-Bowl great, deftly flinging juvenile taunts at everyone who has ever crossed him, tossing red meat to the Republican faithful, and going sotto voce serious to talk about justice being done for working-class Americans screwed over by global corporations.

In a heavily improvised speech that lasted over two hours, the 72-year-old former (future?) reality TV star hit every greatest hit in his repertoire ("Crooked Hillary," "build the wall," "America is winning again," and more all made appearances) while riffing on everything from the Green New Deal to his own advanced age and weird hair to the wisdom of soldiers over generals. At times, it was like listening to Robin Williams' genie in the Disney movie Aladdin, Howard Stern in his peak years as a radio shock jock, or Don Rickles as an insult comic. When he started making asides, Trump observed, "This is how I got elected, by going off script." Two years into his presidency and he's just getting warmed up.
None of this is to suggest that this speech wasn't as fact-challenged as almost every utterance Trump has given since announcing his candidacy for the Republican nomination (go to Daniel Dale's Twitter thread for a running count of misstatements of fact). He hammered trade deficits in a way that will remind anyone with an undergrad economics course under their belt that he fundamentally doesn't know what he's talking about. He misrepresented both NAFTA and the new trade bill he crafted with Mexico and Canada, and at the exact moment that hundreds of wearied listeners started leaving the ballroom at The Gaylord Resort and Convention Center, he claimed that not a single person had left their seat.

But the 2020 presidential race is not going to be decided based on which candidate is more tightly moored to reality. It's going to be decided, like these things always are, by the relative health of the economy and the large vision of the future the different candidates put forward. As the economy continues to expand (however anemically compared to historical averages) and he continues to avoid credible charges of impeachable offenses, Trump is becoming sunnier and sunnier while the Democrats are painting contemporary America as a late-capitalist hellhole riven by growing racial, ethnic, and other tensions.
Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

On a related note: Trump Reelection Panic coming?
-mf
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

There's a certain irony in Reason promoting a reality-doesn't-matter, Trump-is-inevitable narrative. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'll be honest, the democratic candidate needs to hire a comedic writer to counter his bullshit.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Pyperkub wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:09 pm I'll be honest, the democratic candidate needs to hire a comedic writer to counter his bullshit.
Among those Democratic candidates I have some familiarity with, only Biden has the native chops to counter Trump on his own level. He wouldn't need a writer to trade insult for insult.

Maybe one of the other contenders will show that kind of low-brow wit, but I haven't seen it yet.

I hope it doesn't come down to who can fling the most mud in the gutter...but that's obviously where Trump always goes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've lost any hope that Trump will lose in 2020. Trump supporters, by and large, are scared and angry; and the only thing the constant news of corruption and idiocy from the White House has done is driven them to become even more hardline in their support due to spite. The divide we had has always been there, but there has never been a leader more willing to use that divide for his own purposes than Trump. He's incapable of bringing Americans together because he instinctively knows that he needs to demonize someone in order to keep scrutiny off himself.

He's here for the long haul, I'm afraid. And even were Satan to decide he could stand the man enough to bring him back home to hell, I have no doubt Ivanka or Jared would climb over his still warm body as fast as they could to get control of his legacy.
Covfefe!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm I've lost any hope that Trump will lose in 2020. Trump supporters, by and large, are scared and angry; and the only thing the constant news of corruption and idiocy from the White House has done is driven them to become even more hardline in their support due to spite. The divide we had has always been there, but there has never been a leader more willing to use that divide for his own purposes than Trump. He's incapable of bringing Americans together because he instinctively knows that he needs to demonize someone in order to keep scrutiny off himself.

He's here for the long haul, I'm afraid. And even were Satan to decide he could stand the man enough to bring him back home to hell, I have no doubt Ivanka or Jared would climb over his still warm body as fast as they could to get control of his legacy.
Another possibility is that women and minorities mobilize behind a candidate not as repugnant as Hilary Clinton. Remember, as flawed as she was she still won the popular vote. The democrats have looked over the abyss and hopefully they are scared into significant action.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm I've lost any hope that Trump will lose in 2020. Trump supporters, by and large, are scared and angry; and the only thing the constant news of corruption and idiocy from the White House has done is driven them to become even more hardline in their support due to spite. The divide we had has always been there, but there has never been a leader more willing to use that divide for his own purposes than Trump. He's incapable of bringing Americans together because he instinctively knows that he needs to demonize someone in order to keep scrutiny off himself.

Are you more scared of his 41% approval rating, or the record number of people who say that they "strongly" disapprove of him? Or is it how he mobilized so many Democratic voters in 2018?
Black Lives Matter.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Best thing I saw from the Daniel Dale thread...

I also have a very bad feeling about November 3, 2020.
18-1™ & 2-0
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm with Hepcat. My gut feeling is that there are still people willing to publicly display their support for Trump (not as many as there were in 2015) but there are now more people that support him in private - and they'll vote accordingly.

In the same way that people voice their hatred of Nickleback in polite company, but the band has actually sold 50+ million albums worldwide.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm In the same way that people voice their hatred of Nickleback in polite company, but the band has actually sold 50+ million albums worldwide.
Nickleback is off the hook now that Imagine Dragons are the world's most hated band.
18-1™ & 2-0
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What a bunch of gloomy gusses. Trump just had one of the worst weeks of his presidency, between Cohen's spotlight and his failure in NK, and his popularity rating...recovered to its ceiling in the low 40s. Oh, snap.

In the next couple of weeks the Senate will (probably) reject his emergency. Yes, he'll veto it, but the establishment is starting to stir. In the intermediate future Mueller's report will drop, and the House will probably start impeachment proceedings. Sure, adversity makes his base more rabid, but they aren't enough. Sure, 80% of Republicans still support him...but 80% of 35% of voters is not that many voters.

I'm with El Guapo. Trump is an inexplicably tough enemy, but there's no cause for despair.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Even if you tossed aside all the fluke things that (barely) handed Trump the presidency (Russian interference, third-party candidates, a terrible Democratic nominee, coming off a two-term President of the opposing party, Comey, etc.) you'd have to believe that Obama voters who pulled the lever for Trump in order to shake things up honestly believe he's done a bang up job and can't wait to vote for him again.

I just can't buy that for a second, not with his approval ratings never rising above his base.

You'd also have to believe that Republican voter motivation would be so strong it would outweigh what will probably be a historic Democratic turnout to get this jackass out of office.

Trump was voted into office due to complacency. There's no way, after the last four years, that people are going to be that complacent again.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You have a more optimistic view of our country right now than I do, I’m sad to say.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Welcome, YK, to Team Guapo. We have jackets (for 3 easy payments of just $49.99).

The only caveat that I would add in Team Hepcat's favor is that we haven't seen Trump's foreign allies pull out all the stops yet. Russia, NK, and Iran all know which candidate could break the West with four more years, and they're just getting to the "hold my beer" stage.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Trent Steel wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:10 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm In the same way that people voice their hatred of Nickleback in polite company, but the band has actually sold 50+ million albums worldwide.
Nickleback is off the hook now that Imagine Dragons are the world's most hated band.
My 9 year old will fight you for that comment. :tjg:

I honestly don't know what to think at this point. I'd like to think that Trump's continued corruption and jackassery would cause any sane person to jump ship, but I also know far too many people who will vote straight R every single time...no matter how much they have to hold their nose to do it. Most of these are single issue voters around either guns or abortion, and they are only getting more and more entrenched with the current national dialog on both topics. Trump actually has little to do with either (other than making the occasional indication that he's on "their side"), which takes him somewhat out of the equation.

I'm hoping this is just my personal anecdotal experience and isn't representative of the broader population, but really have no idea.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

President Bonespurs had his fee fees hurt by what Cohen was saying, so he had to leave North Korea. I think that's the message here.

For the Democrats to interview in open hearings a convicted liar & fraudster, at the same time as the very important Nuclear Summit with North Korea, is perhaps a new low in American politics and may have contributed to the “walk.” Never done when a president is overseas. Shame!
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:38 pm President Bonespurs had his fee fees hurt by what Cohen was saying, so he had to leave North Korea. I think that's the message here.

For the Democrats to interview in open hearings a convicted liar & fraudster, at the same time as the very important Nuclear Summit with North Korea, is perhaps a new low in American politics and may have contributed to the “walk.” Never done when a president is overseas. Shame!
It's okay, they'll be happy to continue doing that when the president is *not* overseas, seeing as Cohen is due back in front of the committee this week.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm I'm with Hepcat. My gut feeling is that there are still people willing to publicly display their support for Trump (not as many as there were in 2015) but there are now more people that support him in private - and they'll vote accordingly.

In the same way that people voice their hatred of Nickleback in polite company, but the band has actually sold 50+ million albums worldwide.
FWIW 538 did some crunching awhile back and found no evidence of a "shy Trump voter" effect (e.g., people who tell pollsters that they won't vote for Trump and then do). In general polling's pretty strong these days, and it's not great for Trump.

The long and short of it is that the Democrats just thumped Republicans hard in 2018, and there's no obvious reason why 2020 would be any different. Which is not to say that Trump has no shot, nor that there aren't ways for Democrats to screw this up. It's just that unless something significant changes (e.g., Trump finally figures out that he should be trying to reach more than 35% of voters) odds are against him getting reelected. The chance of that is still going to be way higher than it should be, but odds will be against him.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Did someone fix the gerrymandering issue and I missed it? Because I have to be honest, my faith in the overall system is not high. If we were doing a popular vote, sure - odds are against him. But we've seen how that works out. Twice now.

I mean, truly - I want to believe. But after being soaked in the culture of the NJ Republican stronghold for ~12 years, I've come to learn quite a bit about my neighbors. On the whole, they are not good people. Sure, there are respectable folks and everyone is civil enough, but I've come to realize this part of NJ has a reputation for a reason. Maybe my perceptions are skewed, but I'm really not left feeling hopeful based on what I see locally. I know NJ at large is a whole different story, but the idea that anyone is supporting Trump in any capacity is downright frightening.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ewwwwww! I feel so gross just looking at this picture. WHY IS HE GROPING AMERICA!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:58 pm Did someone fix the gerrymandering issue and I missed it?
Gerrymandering doesn't affect presidential elections. Each state is one big happy district.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:04 am Image

Ewwwwww! I feel so gross just looking at this picture. WHY IS HE GROPING AMERICA!
Flag as prop. True American.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:04 am Image

When you're a star they let you do it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If it didn't want Trump to grope it, it shouldn't have been dressed like that.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was checking the US flag code regarding molestation, and sadly there's nothing in there about it. However, I do think this section applies, at least in spirit:
The flag should never touch anything beneath it
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:lol: :clap:
Covfefe!