Coop doesn't need a new PC, maybe stimpy does

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

coopasonic

Coop doesn't need a new PC, maybe stimpy does

Post by coopasonic »

My system is still working fine for anything I want to play (nvidia 970, i5-something), but if I upgrade, I can pass this one off to the kids... it will be a couple weeks before we figure out what our tax return will look like, but I am browsing just in case.

High level, I am looking at:
RTX 2070
Intel i7-8700
16GB 3200Mhz RAM
1TB Samsung 970 Pro

liquid cooling

what mobo? I will be using onboard sound and networking, don't need SLI

What's the most best price/performance downgrade to save money as that system is looking to run around $2k and I'd like it to be less. Currently I am still running 1080p, but could jump to something higher rez.
Last edited by coopasonic on Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Re: Coop doesn't need a new PC

Post by JCC »

I would downgrade to an i5 to save money. Also, a 2070 may be overkill if you are going to stick with 1080p for the life of the PC.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On the video card, with the 1070 and 1660 I wasn't sure what the next best thing was. The rankings don't have the 1660 yet and the review I saw didn't make it very clear.

Basically I think if I decide to spend all the money, I will get a higher res monitor as well... though that will add a pretty good pile of cash to the cost.

Here is what I am looking at specifically, for reference:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor ($309.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($180.66 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($140.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.56 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($82.85 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($98.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1754.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-27 18:20 EST-0500
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

cut the i7 and go with an i5
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Getting a video card with G-Sync suggests that you make sure you have a compatible monitor, and with a 2070 you should consider something capable of 144Hz. They're not nearly as much as they used to be.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was looking larger G-Sync monitors after you posted your tips thread and there doesn't seem to be much out there. Mostly 27" and my current monitor is 28". I want bigger, not smaller. I see LG has a 31.5 with 5ms response. No idea what I have today but that might just be an upgrade.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

The 1660ti out performs the 1070 and is just under the 2060 in terms of performance. It comes down to how future proof do you want it and if you care about the ray tracing. I'm looking at the 2060, not for the ray tracing, but all the other improvements.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm I was looking larger G-Sync monitors after you posted your tips thread and there doesn't seem to be much out there. Mostly 27" and my current monitor is 28". I want bigger, not smaller. I see LG has a 31.5 with 5ms response. No idea what I have today but that might just be an upgrade.
As Of mid-January, GeForce drivers and newer GeForce cards support AMD Freesync.. FWIW
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:59 pm
coopasonic wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm I was looking larger G-Sync monitors after you posted your tips thread and there doesn't seem to be much out there. Mostly 27" and my current monitor is 28". I want bigger, not smaller. I see LG has a 31.5 with 5ms response. No idea what I have today but that might just be an upgrade.
As Of mid-January, GeForce drivers and newer GeForce cards support AMD Freesync.. FWIW
I heard about that but didn't pay much attention because I wasn't thinking about upgrading anything at the time. Is it any freesync monitor?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

From what I read its a very limited list of certified monitors. I'd certainly run down a compatibility list before I bought in.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I googled and I see a few options.

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cyberpowerpc price was lower than the individual parts and came with extra stuff... order placed, with the suggested drop to an i5. I'll probably order that above mentioned monitor unless I can find something better in the next couple days.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

My turn, but I don't want to start a new thread. Excuse the interruption.
How is this for a mid-range box?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpower ... Id=6290721
Good enough to last me a few years without having to upgrade or add anything?
Metro:Exodus is running a little rough on my current setup, so I'm looking to get something without breaking the bank.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I wouldn't go with a 5ms. Ick. My own monitor is a GeForce compatible Freesync, the AOC G2590FX 25". I honestly wouldn't want much larger for my own use, as I want to move my eyes, not my whole head, to see the edges of the screen.
coopasonic

Re: Coop doesn't need a new PC, maybe stimpy does

Post by coopasonic »

I ended up ordering an AOC myself:

We'll see.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:04 pm I ended up ordering an AOC myself:

We'll see.
I know Freesync will work on G-sync monitor now, but I don't think G-Sync works on a Freesync monitor yet. Assuming you went with the nVidia card that is.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:31 pm

We'll see.
I know Freesync will work on G-sync monitor now, but I don't think G-Sync works on a Freesync monitor yet. Assuming you went with the nVidia card that is.
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-brings-g ... -monitors/
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:15 pm
DOS=HIGH wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:31 pm

We'll see.
https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-brings-g ... -monitors/
yea I got that completely backwards.:doh:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been really, really happy with mine, although I was fiddling with the calibration for days before I was satisfied with it.

For others in the market, you should be aware that very few Freesync monitors support Gsync. Make sure you do your research.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:05 pm
I wouldn't go with a 5ms. Ick. My own monitor is a GeForce compatible Freesync, the AOC G2590FX 25". I honestly wouldn't want much larger for my own use, as I want to move my eyes, not my whole head, to see the edges of the screen.
My brain has a hard time with 1ms vs 5ms as it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference to our 30fps eyes. Regardless I decided your research was probably better than my assumptions and went with a 1ms display. As to the size, I have a 28" currently and 31.5" doesn't seem like much more to me. I guess we, well I, shall see.

Plan is to give my current PC to the kids... of course my wife pointed out there is no way that case is going to fit under their desk. I'll have to figure something out for that. I am also seriously considering a third game-focused computer so the kids don't have to share or compromise with mom's so very much not a gaming computer... It would have to be stupid cheap, like the $450 one I bought them a couple years ago that was basically laptop hardware in a tiny desktop case.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:12 pm
My brain has a hard time with 1ms vs 5ms as it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference to our 30fps eyes.
Human eyes can see and interpret an image at as little as 13ms (one frame at about 77FPS), and can see things (but not interpret them) in less than 1ms. The only reason we have 30fps eyes is that we have technology to blur and hide the skippy 30fps. The old rule for CRTs was that most people would see flicker under 70hz. That doesn't mean they don't see differences above them.

And my discussion in the other thread was specifically about reaction time and input delay. The monitor delay is added to every other delay in your system - processing, input hardware, your brain.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Pulled the trigger on that Cyber rig.
Much much faster than my previous setup, which I thought was pretty good for it's age.
Plus, as a bonus, it came with a coupon for 2 free games, RE2 and DMC 5 (or I could have got Division 2, but not sure I'd like it).
As far as how Metro:Exodus runs.....I'm a Russian mutant killing machine!!!
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am Pulled the trigger on that Cyber rig.
Much much faster than my previous setup, which I thought was pretty good for it's age.
Plus, as a bonus, it came with a coupon for 2 free games, RE2 and DMC 5 (or I could have got Division 2, but not sure I'd like it).
As far as how Metro:Exodus runs.....I'm a Russian mutant killing machine!!!
Congrats. I am still waiting for mine to finish QC and ship.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter