The 4th Estate Thread Has Surrendered

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The Semi-Official Death Watch of the 4th Estate Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote:May you live in interesting times.
You take that back!
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Apple tries to accelerate the 4th estate death:
Publishers Chafe at Apple’s Terms for Subscription News Service
Apple plans to keep about 50% of subscription revenue from ‘Netflix for news’ service, likely won’t share customer data with publishers
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Nothing to worry about here, just the leader calling for "retribution" against the Enemies of the People.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 pm Oldman_withaccesstonuclearweapons_yellsatcloud.jpg
Ftfy.

And retribution? This guy is so thin skinned he's practically translucent.

He's so irresponsible he shouldn't be allowed to lead a clown college, let alone the US.

Hit job on the republicans? It's a hit job on you you giant buffoon. Unfortunately, his supporters see it as the same thing.

At some point he's going to die just like the rest of us and the world will let out a collective sigh of relief.

Stigginit though, worth it.

Post by Default »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:40 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:33 pm Oldman_withaccesstonuclearweapons_yellsatcloud.jpg
Ftfy.

And retribution? This guy is so thin skinned he's practically translucent.

He's so irresponsible he shouldn't be allowed to lead a clown college, let alone the US.

Hit job on the republicans? It's a hit job on you you giant buffoon. Unfortunately, his supporters see it as the same thing.

At some point he's going to die just like the rest of us and the world will let out a collective sigh of relief.

Stigginit though, worth it.
Three day bingedrinking of mourning.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Does he now think SNL is a news show? :?

I mean, he hosted it once. So he has to be aware their stock in trade is fake news. That's kind of the schtick behind most parodies and comedy...it's often fictional and no one is claiming otherwise.

Perhaps he's scared because he's not sure why he's appearing on SNL giving all those speeches without his knowledge?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

He knows from news because The Apprentice was the #1 rated news show of its time. Great show, wonderful news anchor.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm just sorry he became president as I was looking forward to "So You Wanna Marry a Trillionaire?". His next reality show that would help him choose a new wife after he refused to renew the lease on Melania.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:02 am Does he now think SNL is a news show? :?

I mean, he hosted it once. So he has to be aware their stock in trade is fake news. That's kind of the schtick behind most parodies and comedy...it's often fictional and no one is claiming otherwise.

Perhaps he's scared because he's not sure why he's appearing on SNL giving all those speeches without his knowledge?
It's Culture War. Trumpers view "the media" as a monolith.

Sure, SNL is comedy sketches and MSNBC is Fake News, but both agree in presenting POTUS as an obscene embarrassment. Why would they do that if they weren't colluding with each other??
malchior

Post by malchior »

CNN hires someone with zero journalism experience to coordinate the political coverage for 2020.Who? Session's ex-Spokeswoman. This should improve things over at CNN. I wonder what the odds are that it'll end up being wall to wall horse race coverage on par with the utter failure in 2016? Anyway, this shouldn't be that surprising. CNN is hot, stinking garbage on a good day.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This Jane Mayer article on Fox News in The New Yorker is bombshell reporting.

Just a couple of the revelations here:

-Fox knew of the Stormy Daniels payout *before the election*, and Murdoch ordered the story spiked.

-Fox gave Trump's team debate questions before at least one of the GOP primary debates.

It's a long article with just stomach-churning details of Fox and GOP mendacity and manipulation. Fake News indeed.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:This Jane Mayer article on Fox News in The New Yorker is bombshell reporting.

-Fox knew of the Stormy Daniels payout *before the election*, and Murdoch ordered the story spiked.

-Fox gave Trump's team debate questions before at least one of the GOP primary debates.

It's a long article with just stomach-churning details of Fox and GOP mendacity and manipulation. Fake News indeed.
I came here to post this article, dedicated a must-read.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Nothing changes wrt Fox's credibility because of this. No one will face any punishment.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Hopefully the DNC will take this as reason not to agree to Fox hosting debates.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Enough wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:03 pm
Holman wrote:This Jane Mayer article on Fox News in The New Yorker is bombshell reporting.

I came here to post this article, dedicated a must-read.
Took me a little while to get to it. Now that I have...wow. But there are a few hopeful nuggets there, too, particularly this:
Gertz, of Media Matters, argues, “The President’s world view is being specifically shaped by what he sees on Fox News, but Fox’s goals are ratings and money, which they get by maximizing rage. It’s not a message that is going to serve the rest of the country.” Blair Levin, the former F.C.C. official, says that Trump and Fox are employing the same risky model: inflaming the base and intensifying its support, rather than building a broader coalition. Narrowcasting may generate billions of dollars for a cable channel, but as a governing strategy it inevitably alienates the majority. The problem for Trump, as one former Fox host puts it, is that “he can’t afford to lose Fox, because it’s all he’s got.”
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just a reminder that Fox News is the most watched news channel in America. "narrow casting" is a bit of a misnomer imo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:12 pm Hopefully the DNC will take this as reason not to agree to Fox hosting debates.
What are tomorrow's Lotto numbers?

WaPo
The Democratic National Committee has decided to exclude Fox News Channel from televising any of its candidate debates during the 2019-2020 cycle as a result of published revelations detailing the cable network’s close ties to the Trump administration.

In a statement Wednesday, DNC Chairman Tom Perez cited a story in the New Yorker magazine this week that detailed how Fox has promoted President Trump’s agenda. The article, titled “The Making of the Fox News White House,” suggested that the news network had become a “propaganda” vehicle for Trump.
Numerous networks, including Fox, have submitted proposals to the DNC to televise one of the 12 scheduled debates, which will start in June. So far, the organization has only awarded rights to the first two — to NBC (along with sister networks MSNBC and Telemundo) and to CNN.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Democrats just blocked @FoxNews from holding a debate. Good, then I think I’ll do the same thing with the Fake News Networks and the Radical Left Democrats in the General Election debates!
Dictator envy.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They leaked the fucking questions to you, dickwad!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Good
Then we can have a frank discussion of why you won't debate in forum while the Dems won't debate in another, you piece of shit.
Last edited by LordMortis on Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

FWIW
Spoiler:
1. The RNC in 2013 voted to ban NBC/MSNBC from 2016 debates because of a planned Hillary miniseries. NBC killed the mini.
2. The RNC scheduled no debates on MSNBC in 2015. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articl ... t.amp.html
3. Fox News hasn’t hosted a Dem primary debate since...2004.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Honestly I think it a mistake. I think the Dem primaries should be on Fox to give their viewers a chance to develop some knowledge of and, hopefully, some passion for some of the Dem candidates rather than being immersed in Rep propaganda 24/7.

Now, Presidential debates should go no where near Fox.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good lord, watching journalist Mehdi Hasan perform an interview is like watching a surgeon at work.. Damn but he’s good.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:51 pm Good lord, watching journalist Mehdi Hasan perform an interview is like watching a surgeon at work.. Damn but he’s good.
Yup, I was coming to post this.

tl;dr: journalist Mehdi Hasan walked Erik Prince into straight-up admitting that he lied to Congress.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The way he just destroys Prince’s denials of everything he says at every turn is amazing. Personally, I loved the portion in which Hasan calls him out for referring to Iraqis as barbarians who crawled out of a sewer, then obliterates his attempts to deny it.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:51 pm Good lord, watching journalist Mehdi Hasan perform an interview is like watching a surgeon at work.. Damn but he’s good.
Wow, that's impressive.

I especially love how he calls him a liar right to his damn face (with receipts), and all Prince can do is try to stammer his way around it. That was a thing of beauty, and something sorely needed across media right now.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Will Wilkerson says the media is horrible at dealing with Trump's lying
Barr's cover-up gambit means Mueller will certainly be called to testify under oath in the House. That's why we're getting the full-on blitz to mischaracterize his findings: to lock the media and public into a favorable narrative nowhere in evidence, before he actually speaks.
The Trump machine's rush to assert an adamantly conclusive interpretation of the investigation on nothing but a crony appointee's spin on it, and then using this to discredit the larger attempt to uphold the rule of law and separation of powers is completely poisonous.
The media's atrocious gullibility, which is letting this happen without serious resistance, is even more scandalous than the credulity that herded public opinion behind the invasion of Iraq. Because we already *know* this administration does nothing but lie.
*Emphasis added*
Holman

Post by Holman »

Tucker Carlson's show is running Scientology ads for Scientology.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I will admit the Xenu Variety Hour is pretty damn good. Last week he had Frank Stallone on and they performed a number from Grease before hurling thetans into the audience.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's the same reason that the Drudge Report always has an article about UFOs or some other bullshit.

Once you're in the mindset to deny science, nothing's off the table.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The US fell three more slots in the 2019 Reporters without Borders rankings, knocking us from "satisfactory" to the "problematic" category. "Never before have U.S. journalists been subjected to so may death threats or turned so often to private security firms for protection," the report stated. Full list here. Suck it, Senegal!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jets dropping ghosts into a volcano?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

According to L. Ron Hubbard, Scientology’s fundamental creation myth goes something like this: Xenu (also referred to as Xemu) was once ruler of the Galactic Confederacy, an ancient organization of 76 planets. Having existed for 20 million years, the planets were struggling from extreme overpopulation.

Fearing he’d be thrown out of power, Xenu gathered billions of his people, froze them to capture their souls (“thetans”), and transported them to Earth (then called Teegeeack) for elimination. He dumped them at the bottom of volcanoes and then destroyed them in a series of nuclear explosions, killing all but a few and sending their souls into the air.

Once in the air, the souls were captured by Xenu, who then implanted into them misleading information, including concepts related to all of the world’s religions.

After all this evil was carried out, Xenu was eventually imprisoned, and Earth was left to be a mere prison planet by the Galactic Confederacy.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 pm Jets dropping ghosts into a volcano?
The spaceships of the space people are said to resemble DC-10s. By pure coincidence, DC-10s were very prevalent when this religion came into being. Coincidentally.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:41 pm It's the same reason that the Drudge Report always has an article about UFOs or some other bullshit.

Once you're in the mindset to deny science, nothing's off the table.
The real story is that Tucker Carlson is running out of advertisers. For months, major companies have been fleeing his show so that he's down to weird brands (like "My Pillow") whose owners are stalwart Fox Believers.

That Fox would allow Scientology to buy their air during Tucker's White Christian Power Hour is a sign of desperation.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I would love to see Tom Cruise defend that position. Reminds me of when Sam Harris argued that nobody believes in Poseidon anymore, and he received angry emails from Poseidon believers.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:03 pm I would love to see Tom Cruise defend that position. Reminds me of when Sam Harris argued that nobody believes in Poseidon anymore, and he received angry emails from Poseidon believers.
The difference being Poseidon believers are small disconnected loners. Scientology is a billion dollar network of powerful people.

Hubbard is also on record as postulating what would be needed to create a new religion in a modern era...and then Scientology happened. Again, coincidentally.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Study: Major media outlets' Twitter accounts amplify false Trump claims on average 19 times a day
Media Matters wrote:Major media outlets failed to rebut President Donald Trump's misinformation 65% of the time in their tweets about his false or misleading comments, according to a Media Matters review. That means the outlets amplified Trump's misinformation more than 400 times over the three-week period of the study -- a rate of 19 per day.
Key Takeaways:

* 30% of the tweets by major media outlets’ Twitter accounts about Trump remarks referenced a false or misleading statement.

* Nearly two-thirds of the time, the outlets did not dispute that misinformation.

* That means the outlets amplified false or misleading Trump claims without disputing them 407 times over the three weeks of the study, an average of 19 times a day.

* The extent to which outlets’ Twitter feeds passively spread Trump’s misinformation depended on the platform in which Trump made his comments. For example:

* 92% of false or misleading Trump claims went undisputed when he was speaking at a press gaggle or pool spray.

* 49% of false or misleading Trump claims went undisputed when outlets were responding to comments he made during formal speeches.

* @TheHill was the worst actor and sent more than 40% of the tweets that pushed Trump’s misinformation without disputing it during our entire study.