If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Rip

UBOOT game - Kickstarter

Post by Rip »

Paingod

Re: UBOOT game - Kickstarter

Post by Paingod »

Which, for anyone who is hesitant to click a link without a description, appears to be a U-Boat simulator with a cut-away view to see/interact with the crew on board.

It looks neat, but isn't up my alley enough to warrant an early purchase.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That takes me back to my days playing Silent Hunter on my old PC. Looks interesting.
Covfefe!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I found the vocals particularly offputting; a U-boat crew speaking with American accents just seems sloppy and half-assed.

Perhaps one of the stretch goals will be to implement some "Vee haff VAYS of making hyu tok!" vocal talent?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Rip

Post by Rip »

I prefer it when the audio is actually in German and subtitles are in english.

It helps me immerse myself. Wasn't long before I didn't need the subtitles in Silent Hunter. I knew what they were saying, I can still hear their voices to this day.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I thought it might be a new boot loader.
Rip

Post by Rip »

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Watching that trailer makes me want to go back and play Wolfpack. Just... before 1943. 1943 and after, it stops being fun - the allies get active sonar, so it's trivial from that side, and impossibly hard from the german side. Before that, as the allies, all you could do was "sprint and drift" then drop depth charges (and hedghehogs once you got access and you know the sub is at periscope depth or above) once you've detected the sub. Of course, playing the germans was its own challenge - any time you pop your periscope up, the allies were pretty merciless in blowing that thing off, at which point you're basically blind and have to surface every time you want to fire torpedoes. And you only have a limited number of torpedoes, so you have to trade off blowing up destroyers so they don't sink you vs blowing up merchantmen. And if you get a hull leak, forget it, you're done - either come up to the surface and get splattered by deck guns or stay under and slowly watch as your U-Boat sinks. The game didn't really simulate damage control. ::smirk:: I even remember the captains had their own individual AI - some would aggressively go after destroyers, others would try to stick to torpedoing cargo ships, others would slink off into the depths whenever they'd catch even a whiff of a destroyer and then there was the "by the book" captain, who took absolutely no initiative whatsoever. The destroyer captains too, some would aggressively seek out and chase subs, while others would try to stay with the convoy.

Now, as for the trailers: I'm not too thrilled with the idea of "Sims on a Sub". I hope the devs expand on the combat aspects of the game.

I also find it somewhat amusing that the developers are Poles.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:Watching that trailer makes me want to go back and play Wolfpack. Just... before 1943. 1943 and after, it stops being fun - the allies get active sonar, so it's trivial from that side, and impossibly hard from the german side. .
Pretty sure that was the case historically, as well.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

It appears damage control is much better done in this game. I could be wrong but I got the impression that taking flooding damage isn't the death sentence we are used to.
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

So this looks like a Silent Hunter The Sims game? Could be interesting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems like part uboat attack sim and part uboat management sim. 10 or 20 years ago this is what I wanted. I always wanted a crew to manage with detailed cutaway damage control. Now though my tastes have changed so Im more meh on so many games I would have died for in the days past. Looks fun though. Hope it sees the support it deserves.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rip

Post by Rip »

“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
tgb

Post by tgb »

It looks good but it also looks like the "down time" is heavy on the micro-management.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A bit weird, the sub is under air attack and as the camera moves through the passageway we see one sailor just sitting on the edge of his bunk. I don't think this would be his action station. And I wouldn't have put up with that crap on my boat :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Somewhat off topic, but since it was posted on Facebook by Playway, who are the publishers of the UBOAT PC game, there is also a Uboot - The Board Game coming out soon. There are already downloadables on the site for rules and a tactical guide, plus a Google Play app is now available that is apparently needed to play the game. I'm not sure if the computer version and the board game version are related, but it seems worth giving it a look if you are interested.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Video from Oct last year.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

UBOAT - Official Trailer, a five minute look at the start of a sandbox patrol and then a lot of visuals from inside the sub. Very cool.

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:59 pm Somewhat off topic, but since it was posted on Facebook by Playway, who are the publishers of the UBOAT PC game, there is also a Uboot - The Board Game coming out soon. There are already downloadables on the site for rules and a tactical guide, plus a Google Play app is now available that is apparently needed to play the game. I'm not sure if the computer version and the board game version are related, but it seems worth giving it a look if you are interested.

Oh, that looks nifty! :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I wonder if they model this situation in either one of the games? :think:
-mf
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am I wonder if they model this situation in either one of the games? :think:
Still not as unlucky as British Battlecruisers. :wink:
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
jztemple2

Re: UBOAT game - Kickstarter

Post by jztemple2 »

First of all, the game is called UBOAT, just so folks don't go searching for the wrong thing. And update from the developer, New Minimum and Recommended requirements
Hi!

We recently benchmarked the game on a range of hardware and set the final requirements on the Steam page.

While performance will definitely be changing during further Early Access development, we will always be trying to keep the game playable with decent FPS on these specs below.

We also did some clever engineering here and there to improve the performance on low specs for the upcoming version B101. It will land in the hands of the beta testers soon!

Take care!
Deep Water Studio

Minimum:

OS: Windows 7 64 Bit / Windows 8 64 Bit / Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: Core i3 3.1 GHz or AMD Phenom II X3 2.8 GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 1GB (720p Low), GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB (1080p Low) or AMD equivalents
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible

Recommended:

OS: Windows 7 64 Bit / Windows 8 64 Bit / Windows 10 64 Bit
Processor: Intel Quad Core i7 3770K or AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB (1080p High), GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (1080p Extreme) or AMD equivalents
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 20 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I guess I forgot to post this before, but back on March 19th the devs announced that the game will be released in Early Access on April 30th.
Dear Players,

This day has finally come! We just received a green light to release our game at a concrete date.

UBOAT will be released at... 30th April 2019!

Roadmap

While we don't want to make too detailed plans ahead to stay flexible for implementing your feedback, there are some things that we can declare right now.

March : Officer promotion system will be added to the backer version.

3-10 April 2019 : NDA for backers will be lifted.

April : Manual hydrophone mode will be added to the backer version.

30 April 2019 : UBOAT enters Early Access.

Summer : Modding SDK.

Why not Q1

We still need to improve a few areas of the game. Our backer community gives us a stellar feedback and we don't feel confident enough to release the game until we implement the most important suggestions. We don't consider Early Access as a chance to publish a buggy game, but rather a solid foundation that we promise to develop further on the feedback we get.

We did our best to make it in the narrow window we had during March, but it's now clear that we won't make it with some matters like translations, that currently are the most obvious thing that needs some more time.

Now we have a solid date that's rooted very deep and is as sure as one can get.

Thank you for the attention and patience for all these years.

Yours,
Deep Water Studio
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Latest update from the devs,
Hello,

Today, some quick information that may interest you.

We will upload the first non-NDA build for backers at 8th April (Monday). We invite all backers to publish their videos.

Game will cost 29.99 USD at a launch day. Please note that the price may differ slightly by region.

This week we uploaded a large update to backer version of the game. You can read the changelog here. Release version will contain all features from the current backer versions and a bit more.

Keep your fingers crossed for us, the premiere is getting closer, we are very excited.
So starting on the 8th we ought to be seeing some latest build videos. Normally I avoid Early Access releases, but depending on how mature the game looks in the backer videos I might be looking to pick it up on the 30th.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm all over this on the 30th. Unless it looks just horrible.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unlocks tomorrow.

I can tell it's not going to be a Silent Hunter 'remake'. There is a different layer at play....

now to see if I can handle it, or if it will just make me fire up SH III
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Be aware that the full release isn't planned till 2020. Right now there are a lot of bugs and missing features. There is no campaign, just an extended tutorial and a sandbox which I understand generates missions. Don't think you are going to see an updated SHIII
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah, I've been downgrading my expectations for a few weeks... Still hopeful it's worth investing some time in.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(very preliminary)

Ohhh, it's very nice.

It certainly looks very nice. The controls at first are a little hard to understand and get used to, but it all starts to make more sense and gel after you leave the tutorial and start a sandbox game. Some kinks in the tutorial that didn't break anything.

The 'simulation' is fun so far. Assigning people to flood the tanks, repair the compressors - items need to be brought or worn if applicable. It's certainly not the entirely the same as Silent Hunter, (I've not dived too deep into the sandbox) but so far the torpedo solutions have been me assigning someone to the task and them working it out, but there are stations I've not invoked and officers that I've not played with yet (the tutorial limits you).

Started sandbox moments ago...
About to leave port... Currently I can pick up two radio stations, we get morse code messages from HQ. My Radio guy needs to work out the code....about to head out on my first patrol. :horse:

Or mission is to bring a spy near to a port in England.... :ninja:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Did anyone else get a Steam 20% off coupon? Between that and the 15% off Early Access release discount it might be worth getting.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

My save game wasn't there when I tried re-loading.

I saved and came back in an attempt to get the periscope view to work again (it had been earlier).
:?
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 pm Did anyone else get a Steam 20% off coupon? Between that and the 15% off Early Access release discount it might be worth getting.
Yes, got one, too. Since I had backed the game on KS a long time ago, I already have my keys, so if anyone wants the coupon, let me know (I assume I can transfer them?)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Watched this video, things don't look too bad. I might still pick this up with all the discounts I have right now.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With all the discounts I picked this up. I played the tutorial and learned some stuff, and then tried the sandbox. On my first mission I was sent to patrol a sector, didn't see anything then came home. I was attacked by an aircraft on the way back. On my second mission I went to my sector then was notified by radio to find and sink a specific freighter in a small convoy. I managed to waste an entire in-game day trying to find the convoy and when I finally spotted it it was daytime and I was behind it. Now in Silent Hunter 3 I would have known better than to chase a convoy while on the surface, but I tried it anyway. The convoy opened fire on me and I crash-dived, but I had taken too much damage and lost the boat.

Right now I'm still trying to understand the role of fatigue and how it affects the officers. I think I just messed up by not getting in front of the convoy so I could make my attack submerged during the day. However, I'm cautiously pleased with how the game is going so far.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Played another sandbox mission. While heading to my sector I was notified about a Uboat which was no longer in contact. I was to go find it. I did so and found the crew had all died of chemical poisoning. Per my orders I mined the craft so the enemy wouldn't get their hands on it.

While I was doing that I spotted some "chimney smoke" to the southwest and after the abandoned Uboat was sunk I went after the smoke. It turned out to be five British corvettes, which are sub hunters. A smart captain would have carefully skulked away, but I tried to sneak in to get a shot. Dumb move. The corvettes opened fire and I crash-dived. For the next quite a while they circled trying to find me. While they were listening I'd keep my boat quiet, but when they would find me with active sonar I'd go full electric motors and evade.

This went on for quite a while and eventually the discipline of my crew went to zero. The effect was that once it reached zero one crew member went into a dying state and I had to sent my officer who was also a medic to go revive him. That reset my discipline up a bit, but after a while it hit zero again, although this time the crewman who would have taken ill was revealed to be a Sea Wolf who didn't break under pressure. The discipline reset to about 20% again and started down once more.

By now the air in the boat was going bad, but by the time I blew tanks and headed to the surface most of the crew was incapacitated. Remarkably several of them were rescued by other Uboats, the rest perished.

I'm liking the game more, but it is way away from being a finished product. But the signs are hopeful.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Next (3rd, kudos to them) patch is out.

()Patch B118
Fixes:
Research is now fully restored from the saved game states.
Reputation purchases were impossible after the game state was loaded.
Reverse engine gears work correctly again.
Blowing ballast was sometimes impossible when control room was flooded.
Character that was stopping to use UZO could rotate during the animation.
Periscope's engine was making noise when the periscope was stationary instead of when it was rotated.
Launched torpedoes were stopped after the game state was loaded.
Torpedo icons on a map from now on have a direction arrow attached to them just like the ships and aircraft.
Cursor is becoming visible when ALT is pressed during the use of a gun in manual mode.
Certain sound effects could become muted after loading a game state.
Gun was randomly becoming locked after firing in a manual mode.
Fuel is now always correctly restocked at ports.
Sailor could take place of an officer during execution of a task in certain cases.
Reputation points label wasn't refreshed after loading a game state.
Sandbox could launch in the middle of the Atlantic if certain steps were taken before starting the game.
Characters playing certain animations could appear in a wrong place after loading a game state.
Food was sometimes not consumed anymore after loading a game state.
Becoming lost directly after loading a game state.
AA gun ammunition storage now has specified capacity.
Unspecified characters were appearing on nearby units and ports after loading a game state.
Scratch sound played when a song was interrupted is now much quieter.
Staying at periscope depth doesn't apply any depth-related discipline penalties from now on.
Minor optimizations to memory usage during loading.
Main menu improvements.
UI fixes for widescreen resolutions.
General UI fixes.
Translation fixes.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Thanks for posting this info.

How do you end a mission? I’ve sailed back into the port but I never got an indication of how to finish the mission.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

$20 with all the discounts, but I can't seem to play it. The tutorial at first wasn't registering my clicks on the waypoints - Now, it registers my clicks, but I somehow veered of course in the harbor and I'm in a submarine parking stall and can't get out...despite all my efforts. I'll give it 4 or 5 months then come back to it....until then.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its $20 again for Black Friday.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/494840/UBOAT/