[News] College Admissions Cheating Scam

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zarathud

Re: [News] College Admissions Cheating Scam

Post by Zarathud »

The payments were for the illusion that the child "earned" admission. The blatant cheating, gaming of recruitment tracks, and outright bribery was clearly abusive of the admissions process.

Each of these colleges would have given consideration to admitting these students after larger direct donations. It costs more and has no guarantee of results. Influence matters, but it's less reliable.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felicity ... e-bribery/

Supposedly the FBI arrested Felicity with guns drawn - seriously? Why don't they go get Trump instead lol?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zarathud wrote:The payments were for the illusion that the child "earned" admission. The blatant cheating, gaming of recruitment tracks, and outright bribery was clearly abusive of the admissions process.

Each of these colleges would have given consideration to admitting these students after larger direct donations. It costs more and has no guarantee of results. Influence matters, but it's less reliable.
Sometimes people just don’t stay bought.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Wait a second....people with money get preferential treatment???
Color me shocked!!!!

:shock:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

rittchard wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:06 pm https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felicity ... e-bribery/

Supposedly the FBI arrested Felicity with guns drawn - seriously?
At least 2 local cops here got shot serving arrest warrants in the last few days. It's one of the more dangerous parts of the job. Generally not best practiceuce to go knocking on doors to arrest someone unprepared. Privileged celebrity or not.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You can't expect officers not to be prepared at the same time citizens are arming themselves to "stand their ground."
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The kind of person that's willing to give 10s or 100s of thousands of dollars just to get their kid into college is capable of anything.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm Wait a second....people with money get preferential treatment???
Color me shocked!!!!

Presumably you mean preferential as in SWAT team in this context.

People with money broke the law. The law didn't get it's cut, so now it's pissed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:39 pm You can't expect officers not to be prepared at the same time citizens are arming themselves to "stand their ground."
No, I read somewhere that cops are happy that citizens are exercising their constitutional rights and arming themselves.

Stewart: It's a good thing.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

They need to start arresting some/most of the kids. There's no way they weren't in on it. Some were recorded on the conference calls and some were getting help taking the tests. They knew what their parents were doing.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:46 pm Wait a second....people with money get preferential treatment???
Color me shocked!!!!

And that’s exactly why they get away with it most of the time.
He won. Period.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:34 pm HOpefully this image from twitter shows up:

Ouch!

[tweet}[/tweet]
U-Texas? Wtf is that? It's just UT. C'mon feds!
And while we are happy to do our part in contributing to the slimy orgy that is higher education, we appreciate the placement next to the likes of Stanford, Georgetown, and Yale. My parents, at least, feel vindicated today.

It's a real shame these parents didn't allow their kids to deal with a little reality. As privileged children of wealthy parents, I doubt they've had to deal with much; and not getting in to your preferred school is pretty far down the list of shit that really matters in life.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

rittchard wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:06 pm https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/12/felicity ... e-bribery/

Supposedly the FBI arrested Felicity with guns drawn - seriously? Why don't they go get Trump instead lol?
So you think 200 FBI agents were on this particular job to try and catch Aunt Becky? Foiled again! :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GungHo wrote: U-Texas? Wtf is that? It's just UT. C'mon feds!
She’s from Boston. She doesn’t know any better.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You've only recently returned to OO, but please be aware that any mention of the T word will result in an appearance by em2. So if you could refrain from doing so in EBG, you'll be doing us all a big favor. :wink:
He won. Period.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:02 am
GungHo wrote: U-Texas? Wtf is that? It's just UT. C'mon feds!
She’s from Boston. She doesn’t know any better.
So she's....Boston Wrong?
He won. Period.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Admissions are one thing, what is the actual end game in this exercise? These dimwits aren't going to suddenly be competitive with the geniuses legitimately enrolled at the school. Those who are there on fake sports scholarships aren't going to discover they were idiot savants at football all along. Assuming they cheated and bribed their way to graduation, they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance. Are those parents hoping their little dullards will someday become an infamous national embarrassment in the vein of a certain orange clown?

One of the kids was on the news this morning saying she was only interested in the college partying experience. Academic stuff? Not her thing.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance.
Why do you think they'd be working? They're rich and entitled. They'll work for mommy or daddy's company, get a job as an actor and ride on their last name, or they'll just spend their time on social media.
He won. Period.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's just a vanity degree. Mummy will make sure they have a high end job. Hep beat me to it.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 amOne of the kids was on the news this morning saying she was only interested in the college partying experience. Academic stuff? Not her thing.
Lori Loughlin's daughter. She's now a social media "influencer" and I'm sure she'll be able to leverage her college experience for advertising and modeling deals. Without a Kardashian family member to springboard off of, the next best thing is to Instagram and hashtag products in your college dorm room, I guess.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am Admissions are one thing, what is the actual end game in this exercise? These dimwits aren't going to suddenly be competitive with the geniuses legitimately enrolled at the school. Those who are there on fake sports scholarships aren't going to discover they were idiot savants at football all along. Assuming they cheated and bribed their way to graduation, they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance. Are those parents hoping their little dullards will someday become an infamous national embarrassment in the vein of a certain orange clown?
This is my take, too. Those parents must have been prepared to pay any price/work any connections to get them the grades for a diploma as well -- they wouldn't spend all that money to get them into a program and then allow them to fail.

What burns me up most is the slot they took away from somebody who deserved it.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am This is my take, too. Those parents must have been prepared to pay any price/work any connections to get them the grades for a diploma as well -- they wouldn't spend all that money to get them into a program and then allow them to fail.

Years ago, I heard an interesting story on NPR. It was an interview with prodigal student who was accepted with scholarship at all of the Ivy League schools, but opted instead to go to University of Minnesota. Her reasoning was competing with the best in the world not only adds stress to the whole college experience...she was top in her class at Minnesota, but might have been middle of the pack at one of these other schools. Finishing at the top of the class at a state school is going to open doors just as well as, say, squeaking by with a D minus minus at Dartmouth; not to mention set one up with a winning and not losing mindset.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am

Being burned up happens when you expect things to be fair. "Fair" is a human construct like god or astrology. There is no natural/physical law that is "fair." Balanced perhaps, there are some states of equilibrium, but never fair.

"Deserve" is also a human construct. Who deserves a spot?

I'm with you but it's an exercise in frustration and futility to expect fair treatment for those who deserve it.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:37 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:14 am This is my take, too. Those parents must have been prepared to pay any price/work any connections to get them the grades for a diploma as well -- they wouldn't spend all that money to get them into a program and then allow them to fail.

Years ago, I heard an interesting story on NPR. It was an interview with prodigal student who was accepted with scholarship at all of the Ivy League schools, but opted instead to go to University of Minnesota. Her reasoning was competing with the best in the world not only adds stress to the whole college experience...she was top in her class at Minnesota, but might have been middle of the pack at one of these other schools. Finishing at the top of the class at a state school is going to open doors just as well as, say, squeaking by with a D minus minus at Dartmouth; not to mention set one up with a winning and not losing mindset.
Interesting concept but what is she doing now, compared to your average middle of the pack Ivy Leaguer?

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 am

Interesting concept but what is she doing now, compared to your average middle of the pack Ivy Leaguer?
If she's happy, does it matter?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:46 am

Being burned up happens when you expect things to be fair. "Fair" is a human construct like god or astrology. There is no natural/physical law that is "fair." Balanced perhaps, there are some states of equilibrium, but never fair.

"Deserve" is also a human construct. Who deserves a spot?

I'm with you but it's an exercise in frustration and futility to expect fair treatment for those who deserve it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am Admissions are one thing, what is the actual end game in this exercise? These dimwits aren't going to suddenly be competitive with the geniuses legitimately enrolled at the school. Those who are there on fake sports scholarships aren't going to discover they were idiot savants at football all along. Assuming they cheated and bribed their way to graduation, they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance. Are those parents hoping their little dullards will someday become an infamous national embarrassment in the vein of a certain orange clown?
This is my take, too. Those parents must have been prepared to pay any price/work any connections to get them the grades for a diploma as well -- they wouldn't spend all that money to get them into a program and then allow them to fail.

At the same time I did enjoy this take:

if they'd only bought a seat for their child the traditional way, everything would have been fine.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:50 am

Sure it would. Her rationale was two-part, that by going to Minnesota she would: (1) be happier; and (2) be just as competitive at the top of Minnesota than in the middle of the Ivy League. How is she doing gets at whether #2 is true or not.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:15 am

At the same time I did enjoy this take:

if they'd only bought a seat for their child the traditional way, everything would have been fine.
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:50 pm Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ProPublica editor @DanLGolden wrote a book a decade ago about how the rich buy their children access to elite colleges.

Case in point, Jared Kushner: https://propub.li/2HsakhH
:whistle: and :coffee:
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 am

Sure it would. Her rationale was two-part, that by going to Minnesota she would: (1) be happier; and (2) be just as competitive at the top of Minnesota than in the middle of the Ivy League. How is she doing gets at whether #2 is true or not.
I disagree. Motivations change. Where she ended up doesn't necessarily reflect at all on the original choice.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

From what I’ve heard, at least some of these “elite” schools (e.g. Harvard) are incredibly hard to get in but not actually very difficult decent grades at in undergrad. In any case, for many applications post-bachelors degree, grades don’t often matter as much as the name of the alma mater.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

I disagree. Motivations change. Where she ended up doesn't necessarily reflect at all on the original choice.
It just seems like "whether she succeeded" is a relevant consideration as to whether her belief that Minnesota would help her succeed was reasonable.

"Hey, I decided to take a shortcut to get there faster."
"Did you get there faster?"
"No, it took twice as long. But I'm happy."
"Well given that I have no reason to question your decision to take the shortcut"
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jeff V wrote:Admissions are one thing, what is the actual end game in this exercise? These dimwits aren't going to suddenly be competitive with the geniuses legitimately enrolled at the school. Those who are there on fake sports scholarships aren't going to discover they were idiot savants at football all along. Assuming they cheated and bribed their way to graduation, they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance. Are those parents hoping their little dullards will someday become an infamous national embarrassment in the vein of a certain orange clown?

One of the kids was on the news this morning saying she was only interested in the college partying experience. Academic stuff? Not her thing.
The thing is that, for most private schools, once you get in, they do their best to keep you in.

Public schools are the ones who try to weed out the chaff.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I heard a long time ago that the reason you go to a Stanford or USC is because of the connections you make at those schools are worth money.

I have to think this is a combination of parents expectations and spoiled children. I have also heard since yesterday that most colleges hold slots open for the wealthy and the "special". That includes everything from the kids of rich foreigners to minority kids.
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 am
Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 amOne of the kids was on the news this morning saying she was only interested in the college partying experience. Academic stuff? Not her thing.
Lori Loughlin's daughter. She's now a social media "influencer" and I'm sure she'll be able to leverage her college experience for advertising and modeling deals. Without a Kardashian family member to springboard off of, the next best thing is to Instagram and hashtag products in your college dorm room, I guess.
She's super cute so she gets a pass :lol:

Also she seems super smart!!

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:00 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:42 am

It just seems like "whether she succeeded" is a relevant consideration as to whether her belief that Minnesota would help her succeed was reasonable.

"Hey, I decided to take a shortcut to get there faster."
"Did you get there faster?"
"No, it took twice as long. But I'm happy."
"Well given that I have no reason to question your decision to take the shortcut"
Exactly.

And she may have ended up even happier joining the circus. But that's not the point of the exercise.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm I have to think this is a combination of parents expectations and spoiled children. I have also heard since yesterday that most colleges hold slots open for the wealthy and the "special". That includes everything from the kids of rich foreigners to minority kids.
Universities will *always* add room for students paying full tuition (as the rich foreigners do).

They don't even have to hold spots; they just add as many as they can get. If they run out of dorm space, they'll contract with a nearby hotel.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:42 pm
Scuzz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:01 pm I have to think this is a combination of parents expectations and spoiled children. I have also heard since yesterday that most colleges hold slots open for the wealthy and the "special". That includes everything from the kids of rich foreigners to minority kids.
Universities will *always* add room for students paying full tuition (as the rich foreigners do).

They don't even have to hold spots; they just add as many as they can get. If they run out of dorm space, they'll contract with a nearby hotel.
During the budget crunch in California there were schools saying that they feared that the price of rising tuition would drive off the "out of state" money they need so badly. But I also am aware that many schools simply have some programs fill up and once that happens there is no getting in. It is not a matter of dorm space, it is class space. Although in this era of more and more on line classes that may soon no longer be a problem.
Black Lives Matter