National Emergency! Ermahgerd!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: National Emergency! Ermahgerd!

Post by Alefroth »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:53 pm
https://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-am ... story.html

26 killed in drug gun fight about a 200 miles south of the border?
That must be the one. So basically not relevant at all. He also had some 'Angel Moms" present at the speech, which I'm assuming are mothers of victims killed by immigrants.

edit: I just watched the clip again and he says it happened 1 mile away from where he went.
Last edited by Alefroth on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Shit. I actually agree with Ann Coulter about something.
"The only national emergency is that our President is an idiot," she said.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

gbasden wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:37 pm Shit. I actually agree with Ann Coulter about something.
Most of us knew that in 2016.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gbasden wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:37 pm Shit. I actually agree with Ann Coulter about something.
Maybe she'll endorse Weld. :wink:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Good lawsplainer on why Drumpf's emergency declaration, as drafted, is likely to fail miserably in court.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Nothing says emergency like a round of golf.
Donald Trump was, by all indications, set to announce a national emergency on Friday morning in an effort to circumvent Congress and secure funding for his long-promised border wall. After the announcement, he's planning to head to his Florida compound Mar-a-Lago.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-m ... cy-1332979
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's where the bunkers are, right?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Don't worry, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will save us!
emocratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez announced on Friday that she and her colleague, Texas Representative Joaquin Castro, intended to fight President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration with legislation.
"If President Trump declares a national emergency to fund his border wall, I’m prepared to introduce a resolution to terminate the President’s emergency declaration under 50 U.S.C. 1622. (National Emergencies Act).
This seems like a... bad way to do this. Surely it would make sense to put someone less divisive as the face of this resolution? Since they'll need quite a few Republicans to make this veto-proof.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"emocratic". Is that a thing? I feel like it should be a thing.

Anyway, right now it's the president's baby. Republicans signed a bipartisan agreement. The president is going rogue. If AOC introduces this and the republicans don't back it, they are back on the hook politically for what their president does. It's a way to tie every Republican back to the wall again and everything that goes with that.

They probably don't care if it passes or not, the president will be stopped and the wall never built some other way.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I, for one, would rather live in an emocracy than in this dystopia.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What would be more emo than: I feel this is an emergency, so therefore it is?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Defiant wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:43 pm
:clap:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sepiche wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:26 pm Good lawsplainer on why Drumpf's emergency declaration, as drafted, is likely to fail miserably in court.
That said, I think Trump will prevail in court, as do a number of experts who are smarter than me:

1) Courts do not like to get into second guessing the reasoning behind something like this - they don't want to do this. If Congress passed a bad law, they don't like rescuing Congress from the impacts of said law.

2) The courts have consistently deferred to the executive in decisions of this nature - see 1) above

3) The court will say that if Congress doesn't like the president's decision, they have a remedy - they can vote a veto proof resolution repealing the president's declaration. They can't do that - too bad, that's the law the law they wrote and enacted, too late to complain about it now.

I'd really like to be wrong, but I'm afraid I will be right.

The real problem is with the law. It is far too vague and concedes far to much to the executive function. I know that they were concerned with a true emergency situation but the current law gives the president too much power that can be used and has been used far too often.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

For what it's worth, I agree with you. Plus, that's exactly how I think it should work.

Shrug. As long as a lower court puts a stay on it while it travels through the courts, it'll be fine. Maybe they'll break ground, maybe they won't. It's 2019. Assuming Americans don't double down, it won't ever be made, and most of the money will have been siphoned off to the appropriate grifters by then anyway.

If even nothing slows them down whatsoever he'll be out of office before any real progress is made.

Or he might die before then. He's woefully underweight for a man of his height.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Talking generally about "the courts" is like talking about "the media" -- one can only generalize so far. One hopes that whatever lower courts are called upon will consider context and intent as well as the word of the law. I know that courts are not tasked with finding right from wrong...but this is a naked power grab with a phony pretext. If Trump eventually wins in SCOTUS, it will be in his sunset days, as the Goo said.

One further hopes that Congress will see fit to tighten up the emergency powers stuff. Monkeys might also fly out of one's butt.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Grifman wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:46 pm The real problem is with the law. It is far too vague and concedes far to much to the executive function. I know that they were concerned with a true emergency situation but the current law gives the president too much power that can be used and has been used far too often.
Did you read the lawsplainer?

I don't necessarily disagree that ultimately the Supreme Court's conservative members might ignore the law in favor of the outcome they want, but the lawsplainer goes into great detail about how the particular law Drumpf and his goons are citing is in fact not vague, is well written, and spells out what sort of construction projects the military is allowed to undertake under an emergency declaration (they don't include a border wall).
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

🤣🤣

Greatness.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump on Tuesday cast the states that are suing to block his declaration of a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border as being “led mostly by Open Border Democrats and the Radical Left,” as he made his first public comments on Monday’s action.

In morning tweets, Trump incorrectly said that the lawsuit, which seeks to prevent him from funding border barriers without congressional consent, was brought by cities, rather than states. He corrected the error about an hour later.

Trump also noted that he had predicted during an event in the Rose Garden last week that an action would be brought in the federal judiciary’s 9th Circuit, where courts have often ruled against the administration.
It was brought by 16 states, all of which have Democratic governors, except for Maryland. Under Maryland law, the state’s attorney general can take legal actions without the blessing of the governor. Maryland Attorney General Brian E. Frosh, whose name is in the complaint, is a Democrat who has sued the Trump administration over other policy issues.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
The House on Tuesday passed a resolution to overturn President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency on the southern border, as majority Democrats painted an apocalyptic portrait of a lawless chief executive out to gut the Constitution.

The 245-182 tally was mostly along party lines, with 13 Republicans defecting to side with Democrats on a vote that effectively became a test of GOP loyalty to Trump. Despite their frequent complaints of executive overreach during the Obama administration, most Republicans fell in line with Trump’s decision to try to circumvent Congress to get billions of dollars for his border wall. As a result the vote fell well short of the two-thirds majority that would be required to overcome Trump’s threatened veto.

Democrats argued that Trump’s claim of a crisis at the border was baseless, and that he was embarking on the road to dictatorship by unilaterally declaring an emergency to try to get money from U.S. taxpayers to fulfill an unpopular campaign promise.
Now that the House has passed the disapproval resolution, the Senate will have approximately 18 days to take it up, a timeline set by the National Emergencies Act. The law also specifies that Senate passage takes only a simple majority, not the 60-vote super-majority often required in the Senate.

That means only four Republican votes would ensure passage of the disapproval resolution — presuming Democrats stick together as expected. GOP Sens. Susan Collins (Maine), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Thom Tillis (N.C.) have already announced plans to vote for the disapproval resolution, and other Republicans have been voicing concerns, including inside a closed-door lunch Tuesday with Vice President Pence where about a half-dozen senators spoke up with reservations, according to one person in attendance.

One of those senators was Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas), who questioned a Justice Department attorney present about how a future Democratic president might be able to use similar emergency powers, according to an official briefed on the meeting who requested anonymity to describe it.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said Saturday that he will vote to block President Donald Trump's declaration of a national emergency at the southern border—potentially providing the tipping-point vote that would allow Congress to block Trump's attempt to use the declaration to obtain funding for a border wall.

https://reason.com/blog/2019/03/03/rand ... ump-emerge
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He’ll turn around the moment Trump calls him personally. Paul’s already shown us he has no spine on more than one occasion.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What if we change the law?
Senate Republicans are in talks with the White House about a deal to amend the National Emergencies Act — a move that could lead GOP lawmakers to avoid a fight with President Trump over his emergency declaration to build a wall on the Mexican border.

Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.) said GOP senators are discussing reining in a president’s ability to introduce future emergency declarations, an idea that has gained growing interest within the caucus in the wake of Trump’s declaration of an emergency to build a wall.

If senators are able to get a deal this week on amending the National Emergencies Act, GOP leadership is hoping it could impact how some senators vote on the resolution of disapproval blocking Trump’s emergency declaration and potentially even resulting in it falling short of passing the Senate.
One proposal, spearheaded by Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and discussed by Republicans, would require Congress to vote to continue a future emergency declaration after 30 days.

Republicans have been hunting for an exit strategy from the showdown with Trump.

The Senate is expected to vote this week on a resolution of disapproval blocking Trump’s emergency declaration. The measure is unanimously backed by the Senate Democratic Conference and four Republican senators have voiced support, giving it a majority.
Asked by The Hill on Tuesday about amending the National Emergencies Act, Tillis said getting a deal would change how he votes on the resolution of disapproval.

If Tillis changes his vote and Republicans don't have any other defections, that would lead to a 50-50 tie and allow Vice President Pence to cast a vote that prevents it from passing the Senate.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So, the GOP senators don't really care about stopping Trump's emergency declaration, they just want to find a way to prevent future (Democrat) presidents from declaring their own pet-issue emergencies? :think:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm So, the GOP senators don't really care about stopping Trump's emergency declaration, they just want to find a way to prevent future (Democrat) presidents from declaring their own pet-issue emergencies? :think:
They'll change the law back when it's their turn again.

It's like the states that move to limit the governor's power when a dem miraculously wins every once in awhile.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm So, the GOP senators don't really care about stopping Trump's emergency declaration, they just want to find a way to prevent future (Democrat) presidents from declaring their own pet-issue emergencies? :think:
That's how I read it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 am
That's how I read it.
Yup.

That said, I would be pretty happy if that's the deal that emerges. First, even if the resolution passes the Senate, Trump's going to veto, and there's very little chance of that veto being overridden. Second, current emergency powers laws are legitimately troubling, and *should* be fixed to require (at a minimum) affirmative congressional authorization. So, the deal would basically be a trade where we get much better (and democratically safer) emergency powers laws, and in exchange just give up a temporary embarrassment for Trump. As much as I love embarrassments for Trump, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:20 am
Alefroth wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 am
That's how I read it.
Yup.

That said, I would be pretty happy if that's the deal that emerges. First, even if the resolution passes the Senate, Trump's going to veto, and there's very little chance of that veto being overridden. Second, current emergency powers laws are legitimately troubling, and *should* be fixed to require (at a minimum) affirmative congressional authorization. So, the deal would basically be a trade where we get much better (and democratically safer) emergency powers laws, and in exchange just give up a temporary embarrassment for Trump. As much as I love embarrassments for Trump, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Agreed. This sort of abuse should be disallowed for any President.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pelosi: "How about no? Does no work for you?"
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Wednesday that the House would not take up proposed Senate legislation to rein in national emergency powers, a bill put forward as part of an effort to give Republicans cover to side with President Trump on the border wall.

GOP senators are in talks with the White House about changing the National Emergencies Act, the 1976 law that Trump invoked to declare his national emergency to direct extra funding to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. That would give Senate Republicans uncomfortable with the national emergency room to avoid defying Trump.
While I do agree that what the President can and cannot declare as a "national emergency" needs a significant overhaul, Pelosi does have a damn good point here:
"Republican Senators are proposing new legislation to allow the President to violate the Constitution just this once in order to give themselves cover," Pelosi said in a statement. "The House will not take up this legislation to give President Trump a pass."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good. Address it after the current issue is dealt with. Don't Brett Hull the rule.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:33 pm Pelosi: "How about no? Does no work for you?"
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Wednesday that the House would not take up proposed Senate legislation to rein in national emergency powers, a bill put forward as part of an effort to give Republicans cover to side with President Trump on the border wall.

GOP senators are in talks with the White House about changing the National Emergencies Act, the 1976 law that Trump invoked to declare his national emergency to direct extra funding to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. That would give Senate Republicans uncomfortable with the national emergency room to avoid defying Trump.
While I do agree that what the President can and cannot declare as a "national emergency" needs a significant overhaul, Pelosi does have a damn good point here:
"Republican Senators are proposing new legislation to allow the President to violate the Constitution just this once in order to give themselves cover," Pelosi said in a statement. "The House will not take up this legislation to give President Trump a pass."
Damn good point, especially given lawsuits incoming.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Make the GOP treasonweasels either go on record as supporting Trump's bullshit "emergency", or go on record as defying Dear Leader.

Either option is bad for them, good for the rest of us.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:44 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:33 pm Pelosi: "How about no? Does no work for you?"

It is, and I don't disagree exactly, but - what are the odds that the GOP agrees to revise the emergency powers law *after* this debacle is over? I don't love the "just this once" part, but seems plausible that this might be the one chance to fix it before Trump (or a successor) goes nuts with emergency powers actions.
Black Lives Matter.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

It is, and I don't disagree exactly, but - what are the odds that the GOP agrees to revise the emergency powers law *after* this debacle is over? I don't love the "just this once" part, but seems plausible that this might be the one chance to fix it before Trump (or a successor) goes nuts with emergency powers actions.
If a Democrat wins the White House then the GOP will be first in line to revise the emergency powers.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Biyobi wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:40 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:15 pm

If a Democrat wins the White House then the GOP will be first in line to revise the emergency powers.
Yeah, but then there's a pretty good chance that the Democrats don't go along. It depends somewhat on how Trump's "emergency" plays out, but if it's ultimately upheld in court, then a Democratic president is going to face a significant amount of pressure from the base to use emergency powers in response to achieve liberal objectives.
Black Lives Matter.