Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm I'd recommend icing it, but a meta-study just came out yesterday questioning whether suppressing inflammation is a good idea, at least for sports injuries. So...don't do that, I guess. Ice did help my elbow after my doc advised it.
It seems like we hear more and more studies all the time suggesting that hindering the body's natural healing mechanisms for comfort is not as beneficial as we used to think it was.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:56 pm I'd recommend icing it, but a meta-study just came out yesterday questioning whether suppressing inflammation is a good idea, at least for sports injuries. So...don't do that, I guess. Ice did help my elbow after my doc advised it.
It seems like we hear more and more studies all the time suggesting that hindering the body's natural healing mechanisms for comfort is not as beneficial as we used to think it was.
Most likely inflammation is sometimes healthy and sometimes not. Chronic inflammation is implicated in a lot of conditions, from arthritis (duh) to aging. Knowing when to fight it and when to roll with it will take more wisdom than science has yet.

Meanwhile, Dr. Kraken says that if putting ice on it makes the hurt go away, then go ahead and put ice on it. Unfortunately, since he hurts all over, Daehawk would have to sleep in a tub of ice to find out where it helps. More than once. Dr. Kraken does not recommend doing this. As a rule, Dr. Kraken recommends cannabis. Unfortunately, Dae lives in a benighted state that doesn't allow medical marijuana yet. Dr. Kraken therefore got nuthin.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:07 amThe funny thing, we had a school fundraiser on Friday that included free teacher open bar as a thank you.
Does your school district just have lawyers on retainer or is your budget large enough that eventualities can just be dealt with as necessary? :D

As I was starting in the public sector, open bar style holiday parties were just ending. I made it to a few and was always astounded by the spectacle (this would have been late 1990s). I can only imagine what it was like in the 70s and 80s!
I've heard stories about lab parties from that era that bring to mind Eyes Wide Shut...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:37 am I think I mentioned it elsewhere, but your understanding of the grading scale is mine as well - it's a way to reflect "mastery" of a topic or of the material in the course. A (C) rating simply means you understand the basics and have demonstrated competency. I actually think (C) is easy to recognize. Differentiation between (A) and (B) in my opinion is much harder.
Yup.

I teach English. When I'm grading essays, the difference between a B and an A is that a B does a solid job and an A actually surprises me with something original and interestingly good.

Of course students who write at the B level can still earn an A for the whole course by succeeding on tests and short assignments and various other graded projects. I have no problem with that. I just try to hold the line at an A for *writing itself* being something to be especially proud of.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm pretty sure some of my As in recent classes were because I made a reasonable effort and the tuition check cleared.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:07 pm Enlarge Image
-This image first appeared three years ago
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I read an article the other day about life in the 50s. It was pretty much spot on. As a white man I'd love to go back to that period.
I'd miss air conditioning quite a bit tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

They would have shipped your ass to Korea, and you know it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I like that the girl pumping gas is putting it in an old Charger. Those were the days :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I remember gas caps under the license plate. I also remember when color TV was new and wondrous. I didn't get my first color set until 1986. I'm not an early adopter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Once when I was almost 20 (my in laws older car) I was putting gas in under the plate and I always propped the spring loaded plate open with the cap. I must have hit the cap when I went to fill it and it sprung closed on my hand. Worst part was the plate was held in place by long pointed tip screws so I bleed pretty good that day.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 am I remember gas caps under the license plate. I also remember when color TV was new and wondrous. I didn't get my first color set until 1986. I'm not an early adopter.
I do too. I might have even put gas in one at one point.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember the feed bag over the horse's head.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:28 am I remember gas caps under the license plate. I also remember when color TV was new and wondrous. I didn't get my first color set until 1986. I'm not an early adopter.
I do too. I might have even put gas in one at one point.
I had a gas-cap-under-the-plate car when I was in law school and for the first year or so of my first real job - 1996-1998 or so.

We always had a color TV at my house, but when I wanted to get a TV for my bedroom, all I could afford was a 13" black and white.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:03 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:57 am At the rate my inertia is going I might wait for 5G tech to become ubiquitous and test the waters with going wireless.
Your neighbors are going to put a stop to that.
But for 5G speeds to be so impressive, wireless companies need more towers, and a fiber line connecting towers, according to AT&T and Verizon. The wireless associations CITA estimates 800,000 mini towers will be need in the US in the next 20 years.

As a result, carriers are putting them up on telephone poles, on the sides of office buildings, even up in lampposts. But to keep them from being so unattractive, wireless companies are hiding them.

In Florida, they are camouflaging 5G towers in fake palm trees. In Arizona, they are building metal cactus trees to hide 5G towers. In Colorado and California, towers are being hidden inside phony evergreens.

Homeowner as Monique Maisenhalter said they worry that towers might end up right outside their bedroom window.

"Some say it will be every three to 10 houses," she said. She cited studies from environmental groups worldwide, claiming that cell tower radiation -- up close -- can possibly cause health issues.
She is leading a petition drive asking for a stop to any 5G construction in her community until more is known. Almost 50 other residents had signed.
Big towers are so 2010. It's all about small cells now and they are going up everywhere. You may be able to rent out space on your roof;)
Last edited by morlac on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But how will it affect my solar panels?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Omnitouch tells me it's all about the caring.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:28 am But how will it affect my solar panels?
They have a very small foot print, there's room for both! I for one welcome our new Pico Cell Overlords! Bring on 5 bars!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Aviationist
A weird mishap occurred in Worthington, Massachusetts, where a snowmobile and a U.S. Army Black Hawk MEDEVAC helicopter were involved in an accident in a field on Mar. 12, 2019.

According to the Hilltown Community Ambulance Association, emergency services were called shortly before 8PM to respond to an accident that occurred at 07.40PM when a man on a snowmobile crashed into a parked HH-60M helicopter (#12-20499) at a private airfield at Albert Farms, in Worthington, roughly 15 miles west of Northampton. On impact, the snowmobiler went over the starboard side of the elevator and below the main rotor.
Seriously hurt, the man was air-lifted by a Lifeflight helicopter to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield. It’s in critical but stable condition now, according to the reports.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Look at me! I'm doing 100 mph!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

There are better ways to get to ride in a chopper than either method listed in that story.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The moon has a big halo around it right now. Beautiful.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

It wasn't THAT good a moon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

It meant something personal to me.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Okay.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My weekend...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Looks like that jail in Arizona but in reverse.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:04 pm My weekend...
Klondike!
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

Had the kids and my ex over for Sunday dinner. I walked her outside and she tells me that Mom wanted to give me something but never had time to change her will.
She handed me a check for 13k.

Stunned.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Default wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 pm Had the kids and my ex over for Sunday dinner. I walked her outside and she tells me that Mom wanted to give me something but never had time to change her will.

Stunned.
I know money is separate from love and duty, but man, you did a huge amount for your mother-in-law when it wasn't required of you. Accept these resources and the gratitude that they imply.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 pm
Default wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 pm Had the kids and my ex over for Sunday dinner. I walked her outside and she tells me that Mom wanted to give me something but never had time to change her will.

Stunned.
I know money is separate from love and duty, but man, you did a huge amount for your mother-in-law when it wasn't required of you. Accept these resources and the gratitude that they imply.
(If/when the check has cleared.)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:
Klondike!
Klondike was last month. This was supposed to be a spring camping/hiking trip. Not much hiking, the trails were all snow covered and iced over.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire

Post by Default »

I kinda miss that...

Post by Default »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:24 pm
Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Stunned.
(If/when the check has cleared.)
Linda told me a couple of times to remember that Mom wanted me to have that. Considering that I have an extra pay this month, I'm being reimbursed for the money my oldest son owes me and this gift, my mortgage goes from 50k to 30k in one fell swoop.

It's a wonderful gift!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Another musical legend I had always meant to watch live and never made it to passes. RIP Dick Dale. Your influence won't be forgotten in my lifetime.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A very expensive hoodie....

$299

Enlarge Image

Bird bath anyone?

Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tomorrow I need to be up early and drive 30 miles and hit about 8 places. It will be the first huge test of my resolve and emotions since losing my wife as all the places Ill stop at are places we went many times and loved. Also its the first long drive. Its one we drove a million times together and were almost always for fun and enjoyment. We looked forward to them. Ill be alone tomorrow with just my thoughts. So wish me well tomorrow guys. Going to need it.

EDIT: Oh man. I just realized tomorrow is spring...so winter 2018 / 2019 was the last winter....last of any season...Id spend and share with my wife...ever. :(

And to the few who worry...no Im not going to start posting a lot of sadness here. I might every now and then but not like I did in the hospital / passing / stroke thread. I just do not wish to revisit that thread for now...if ever. Cant do it. Cant see it on the front page again. Im sorry to my wife but I need to let it rest for now. Random Randomness will maybe get one sometimes. Ive not posted about it must at all.

Tomorrow is just worrying me to no end.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

An original recipe for what I'm calling poor man's potato skins.

Dump some (off brand) pringles into a bowl
Cover them with shredded cheddar
Toss em in the microwave for about 30 seconds
No sig, must scream, etc.