[News] College Admissions Cheating Scam

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: [News] College Admissions Cheating Scam

Post by Jeff V »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:30 pm
Jeff V wrote:Admissions are one thing, what is the actual end game in this exercise? These dimwits aren't going to suddenly be competitive with the geniuses legitimately enrolled at the school. Those who are there on fake sports scholarships aren't going to discover they were idiot savants at football all along. Assuming they cheated and bribed their way to graduation, they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance. Are those parents hoping their little dullards will someday become an infamous national embarrassment in the vein of a certain orange clown?

One of the kids was on the news this morning saying she was only interested in the college partying experience. Academic stuff? Not her thing.
The thing is that, for most private schools, once you get in, they do their best to keep you in.

Public schools are the ones who try to weed out the chaff.
That kind of implies then that the whole system is complicit in this scam. It's not like these schools have a dearth of applicants, and most are probably far more qualified to be there than those getting a little help from their friends. The question I guess comes down to who all is getting paid - is it the professors who issue the grades, administrators setting policies requiring the professors to provide special assistance to failing students, or someone with direct access to the records to go in and change grades outright? Or do they simply let the students fail as they might without actually taking steps to remove them?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Scuzz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:13 pm Although in this era of more and more on line classes that may soon no longer be a problem.
What's a MOOC? [/Judge Haller]
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:26 pm
Jeff V wrote:Admissions are one thing, what is the actual end game in this exercise? These dimwits aren't going to suddenly be competitive with the geniuses legitimately enrolled at the school. Those who are there on fake sports scholarships aren't going to discover they were idiot savants at football all along. Assuming they cheated and bribed their way to graduation, they aren't going to wow an employer with their brilliance. Are those parents hoping their little dullards will someday become an infamous national embarrassment in the vein of a certain orange clown?

One of the kids was on the news this morning saying she was only interested in the college partying experience. Academic stuff? Not her thing.
The thing is that, for most private schools, once you get in, they do their best to keep you in.

That kind of implies then that the whole system is complicit in this scam. It's not like these schools have a dearth of applicants, and most are probably far more qualified to be there than those getting a little help from their friends. The question I guess comes down to who all is getting paid - is it the professors who issue the grades, administrators setting policies requiring the professors to provide special assistance to failing students, or someone with direct access to the records to go in and change grades outright? Or do they simply let the students fail as they might without actually taking steps to remove them?
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Everything I have heard regarding this is that the money went to a service that would see that the kid got into the school. That service then paid off SAT officials, paid off some college coaches, and at least in the case of USC paid off the women's athletic director. So far there has been no direct evidence presented that the "schools" themselves were receiving any of the bribe money, although some of the coaches have claimed to have directed some of the money to the schools. Those claims have not been explained.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Yeah, that's kind of my take from the news this morning.

I want to hear though how underperforming students manage to skate 4 years through these institutions, however. The whole admission scam I get - and am not the least bit shocked by it. But as we all know, not all students are created equal and for best results, the school should match the capabilities of the student. If the student cannot hope to thrive in the academic environment of elite institutions, just how do they successfully manage to ride out 4 years without additional, nefarious, assistance?
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

From a NCAA basketball perspective however, one of the people involved in the scam could Ken a whole new can of worms..

He is a key person at IMG Academy, where a LOT of top recruits come from. Duke , Kentucky, etc.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm Yeah, that's kind of my take from the news this morning.

I want to hear though how underperforming students manage to skate 4 years through these institutions, however. The whole admission scam I get - and am not the least bit shocked by it. But as we all know, not all students are created equal and for best results, the school should match the capabilities of the student. If the student cannot hope to thrive in the academic environment of elite institutions, just how do they successfully manage to ride out 4 years without additional, nefarious, assistance?
I get the "underperforming student" thing, if the kid couldn't get in without help he/she must be a crappy student, but does that necessarily have to follow. Some kids, like my youngest daughter, find themselves in college, She did better there than in high school. Some of these kids may have been good students just not Stanford or USC good, or maybe the program they wanted into had no room originally. And how many kids actually graduate in 4 years nowadays?
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:26 pm From a NCAA basketball perspective however, one of the people involved in the scam could Ken a whole new can of worms..

He is a key person at IMG Academy, where a LOT of top recruits come from. Duke , Kentucky, etc.
I would love to see the basketball academies and AAU programs somehow get taken down.
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:56 pm Yeah, that's kind of my take from the news this morning.

Eh I don't know that that is going to tell you much. I most definitely 'skated by' at UT and there was never any question of me being accepted for admission as a HS senior. Depending, I think possibly, on your HS background, as long as you have adequate 'test taking skills' the getting by to graduation isn't particularly difficult. Even if, as Pyperkub alluded to, a state school is more likely to try to weed you out. Oddly enough the classes a big school like Texas uses to try to weed kids out are the same ones in which they administer the standardized, multiple choice tests; eg psych 301 which in my day had over 500 students in a class. But if you can survive that the upper level courses, in which the tests are more likely to test your knowledge of the subject (via written tests, oral exams, papers etc) the university is much more accommodating.

The other thing that bugs me, obviously there's plenty here for everyone, is that these parents could have also taken this moment in their children's lives to teach them something about expectations. I applied to UT because I knew I could get in there. I didn't apply to Harvard bc I knew I couldn't. There's a lot to be said for knowing what you are and aren't capable of doing.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:33 pm The other thing that bugs me, obviously there's plenty here for everyone, is that these parents could have also taken this moment in their children's lives to teach them something about expectations. I applied to UT because I knew I could get in there. I didn't apply to Harvard bc I knew I couldn't. There's a lot to be said for knowing what you are and aren't capable of doing.
Maybe managing expectations isn't a talking point in the world of "you can be anything you want to be"? :think:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

A quote from a friend of mine:

I hear a lot of fuss about the college admissions cheating scandal. People are literally making a federal case out of it, which strikes me as a big stretch.
BUT, nobody has yet mentioned the central issue: athletes have a back door into top colleges. Unqualified jocks get in all the time. All this outrage is because non-jocks tried to slip in through the same huge ethical gap. Stop winking at athletic corruption and this can't happen anymore.
No sig, must scream, etc.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Athletes getting in through the "back door" is not fraud. They are being recruited to play a sport for the college.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"Back door?" They get a parade right though the front door. And everyone is OK with it because it brings a ton of money, recognition, and loyalty to the school. If anything, athletes/"jocks" are undercompensated.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I wonder how much the Federal Government spent to apprehend these dangerous criminals? 200 agents? Aunt Becky at the top of the FBI most wanted list? LMAO $1,000,000 bond is the kind of thing you see for suspected murderers no? :think: Seems kinda fishy?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

This quote from the WaPo summed it up rather nicely:

"A tweet made the rounds in the community of first-generation and low-income students at Princeton University: “wow, it turns out money was the real Affirmative Action all along!”
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Toe

Post by Toe »

paulbaxter wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 pm A quote from a friend of mine:

I hear a lot of fuss about the college admissions cheating scandal. People are literally making a federal case out of it, which strikes me as a big stretch.
BUT, nobody has yet mentioned the central issue: athletes have a back door into top colleges. Unqualified jocks get in all the time. All this outrage is because non-jocks tried to slip in through the same huge ethical gap. Stop winking at athletic corruption and this can't happen anymore.
It is not the same ethical gap at all though. It would be if the parents paid the head basketball coach hundreds of thousands of dollars under the table to recruit their non-basketball playing kid.

Also, per the guy that ran the whole scheme, the backdoor is "institutional advancement", which is legal. That's where rich people donate a ton of money to the school and the school lets their kid in. Singer categorized his scheme as a "side door", which was cheaper than the backdoor but totally illegal.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 pm "Back door?" They get a parade right though the front door. And everyone is OK with it because it brings a ton of money, recognition, and loyalty to the school. If anything, athletes/"jocks" are undercompensated.
Particularly because the idea "well they are getting a free college education" is, in many (most?) cases an utter farce.
GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:33 pm I applied to UT because I knew I could get in there. I didn't apply to Harvard bc I knew I couldn't. There's a lot to be said for knowing what you are and aren't capable of doing.
One of my high school classmates, a Czech immigrant, was very interested in astronomy so he applied at Cal Tech. They douchely informed him that he was in the lower 10% of all applicants. He was very good in math, physics, and science; not so much in English or American history, given his origins.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Let the lawsuits begin!
The massive college admissions scam that snared 50 people in a federal indictment, including two high-profile actresses, has prompted a class-action lawsuit filed by two California college students.

The suit was filed Tuesday in a Northern California federal court by two students at Stanford University, one of the eight elite colleges named in the lawsuit, all of which had associated individuals implicated in the bribery case.

In the suit, students Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods claimed they both went through the legitimate and rigorous admissions process to Stanford and were "never informed that the process of admission was an unfair, rigged process, in which rich parents could buy their way into the university through bribery."

The suit also names as defendants the University of Southern California, UCLA, the University of San Diego, the University of Texas, Wake Forest University, Yale University and Georgetown University.
"Had she known that the system at Yale University was warped and rigged by fraud, she would not have spent the money to apply to the school," the lawsuit states. "She also did not receive what she paid for — a fair admissions consideration process."

Olsen contends she had been damaged by the admissions scandal because her degree from Stanford "is now not worth as much as it was before, because prospective employers may now question whether she was admitted to the university on her own merits, versus having parents who were willing to bribe school officials."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am Olsen contends she had been damaged by the admissions scandal because her degree from Stanford "is now not worth as much as it was before, because prospective employers may now question whether she was admitted to the university on her own merits, versus having parents who were willing to bribe school officials."
Well, then they won't have to question she's a whiny, entitled, first-worlder.

Seeking to recoup the admission application fees is a good one though.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I do hope some good comes out of all this, and Universities become a little gun shy about NOT granting admission to rich folks' kids after big donations.
Covfefe!
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I'm not condoning the cheats/hacks or whatever you want to call it, but I am calling BS on the whole "moral outrage" of "THEY TOOK MY SPOT." That crap has been going on in all sorts of different ways forever. Just an example, but I distinctly recall people who were of mixed race choosing which race to select in order to gain an advantage. And lo and behold, it worked! I remember being rejected by Berkeley even though I had a 4.3 GPA (at a time when AP courses were not the norm). And yet my underachieving friend was admitted because she chose to mark a particular race that she was a quarter of (maybe being female helped too, I don't know). 40 years later, one of my nieces was rejected by UCLA - even though she was far more qualified than I ever was (she got into and went to Cal Tech instead). I've seen tons of examples not just in my own family over the years; the college admissions system has always been unfair at best and corrupt at worst, so all this moral high ground just seems like a bunch of overblown hype to me. Surely the FBI has more important targets than this?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So you're saying affirmative action is a bad thing because white males were being held back, is that right?

Your mistake is believing that you were competing with your friend. You were competing with the other white males attempting to go there, who make up most of the student population.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:25 pm So you're saying affirmative action is a bad thing because white males were being held back, is that right?

Your mistake is believing that you were competing with your friend. You were competing with the other white males attempting to go there, who make up most of the student population.
Not white, Asian. Not the point though, I'm just saying there are all sorts of "unfair" practices, depending on your perspective. The moral outrage (to me) implies people assume it was all fair and impartial to begin with.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think your definition of fair is not necessarily the only valid one. It has been shown that no affirmative action is also not fair. That's why affirmative action exists.

I think it's naive (not you specifically) to believe that admission is 100% impartial, which is not to say that many probably do believe that. Not being impartial doesn't mean it's suddenly the wild west and everything goes though, including bribery and corruption. It's not 100% fair and impartial (good luck getting everyone to agree on what that means in the first place) or anything goes. 1 or the other. That's madness.

Come to Canada. Literally any race outside of Caucasian is an identifiable minority, and what that means depends on the situation. Because we are like 85% white up here, and of that significantly more than 50% are males in any position of authority.

I agree that life is not fair and that we are held back through no fault of our own on many occasions, while others skate by unmerited at times. Allowing this level of corruption to pass without outrage just contributes to that.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:07 pm "Back door?" They get a parade right though the front door. And everyone is OK with it because it brings a ton of money, recognition, and loyalty to the school. If anything, athletes/"jocks" are undercompensated.
I also think in this day and age that jocks who aren't making the grade aren't in a program very long. Schools have to report graduation rates and there are standards that must be met to stay eligible.
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:50 am Let the lawsuits begin!
The massive college admissions scam that snared 50 people in a federal indictment, including two high-profile actresses, has prompted a class-action lawsuit filed by two California college students.

The suit was filed Tuesday in a Northern California federal court by two students at Stanford University, one of the eight elite colleges named in the lawsuit, all of which had associated individuals implicated in the bribery case.

In the suit, students Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods claimed they both went through the legitimate and rigorous admissions process to Stanford and were "never informed that the process of admission was an unfair, rigged process, in which rich parents could buy their way into the university through bribery."

The suit also names as defendants the University of Southern California, UCLA, the University of San Diego, the University of Texas, Wake Forest University, Yale University and Georgetown University.
"Had she known that the system at Yale University was warped and rigged by fraud, she would not have spent the money to apply to the school," the lawsuit states. "She also did not receive what she paid for — a fair admissions consideration process."

Olsen contends she had been damaged by the admissions scandal because her degree from Stanford "is now not worth as much as it was before, because prospective employers may now question whether she was admitted to the university on her own merits, versus having parents who were willing to bribe school officials."
A lawyer can find client to sue over anything.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Out of court settlement...
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I honestly thought this was going to link to an Onion article. That is just nutz.
Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 am
GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:33 pm I applied to UT because I knew I could get in there. I didn't apply to Harvard bc I knew I couldn't. There's a lot to be said for knowing what you are and aren't capable of doing.
One of my high school classmates, a Czech immigrant, was very interested in astronomy so he applied at Cal Tech. They douchely informed him that he was in the lower 10% of all applicants. He was very good in math, physics, and science; not so much in English or American history, given his origins.

Yeah that's rough. Universities have a lot of very difficult decisions to make about a lot of their applicants and maybe the upshot of this scandal is that process becomes much more transparent to students, their parents, and the public as a whole. Though of course that has its own set of issues.
And those standards and conditions are always changing; although I managed to graduate UT my academic achievements did nothing to enhance the university's standing (it could probably be argued that I set it back tbh...😕) but I did graduate. If I was applying to UT in 2019, however, with my same test scores and HS ranking, I'd count it as a win if they didn't laugh in my face. Because they are most definitely going to tell me no. So clearly what passes for 'an acceptable student' is a forever moving target.

Maybe schools start to look at transcripts like your friend had and say 'yeah if this kid goes for astronomy we can take him ' as opposed to rejecting him out of hand bc of poor English scores. And maybe that's one way they can increase diversity as opposed to simply requiring a 1400 SAT and top 10% in HS; which is a group with its own homogeny
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm Lori Loughlin's daughter was aboard a yacht owned by the USC Board of Trustees Chairman when the college bribery scandal broke

Chairman of the Board must pay real good. Who do you bribe to get that job? :mrgreen:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

You get the job because you have the cash and connections. Hmmm.....,
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Still not as good a deal as paying $300 to get out of having to participate in the War of Northern Aggression.
https://www.quora.com/How-did-the-300-m ... -Civil-War
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My parents also tried to get a picture of me on a rowing machine for something like this, but they couldn't get me to put down the cigarette and cheeseburger in any of the shots.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

em2nought wrote:
Moliere wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 pm Lori Loughlin's daughter was aboard a yacht owned by the USC Board of Trustees Chairman when the college bribery scandal broke

Chairman of the Board must pay real good. Who do you bribe to get that job? :mrgreen:
To paraphrase what a wise man once said:

“In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the yacht.”
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Lori Laughlin fired
Most notably, Loughlin has been fired from Fuller House, Netflix’s revival of the classic American sitcom Full House. In both series, Loughlin portrayed Rebecca Donaldson, the wife of John Stamos’ character, Jesse Katsopolis. According to TMZ, Loughlin will not appear in the upcoming fifth season of Fuller House.

Loughlin’s extensive relationship with the Hallmark Channel has also come to an end, according to EW. Over the years, Hallmark has served as home to several of Louglin’s projects, including the episodic drama When Calls the Heart, the mystery film series Garage Sale Mysteries, and several original Christmas movies.

Hallmark Channel owner Crown Media said in a statement, “We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin.”
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:39 am You get the job because you have the cash and connections. Hmmm.....,
From Adelson to Wang.

Bringing a bit of MAGA to the Left Coast.
Miriam Adelson is the wife of Sheldon Adelson, the billionaire casino mogul and founder/CEO of the Las Vegas Sands Corporation. Miriam is a doctor and philanthropist and was elected to the board just last year. Sheldon is a GOP mega donor, donating $25 million to Donald Trump’s campaign in 2016, as well as another $5 million for the inauguration, making Sheldon the largest donor of the election cycle.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:44 pm Lori Laughlin fired
Most notably, Loughlin has been fired from Fuller House, Netflix’s revival of the classic American sitcom Full House. In both series, Loughlin portrayed Rebecca Donaldson, the wife of John Stamos’ character, Jesse Katsopolis. According to TMZ, Loughlin will not appear in the upcoming fifth season of Fuller House.

Loughlin’s extensive relationship with the Hallmark Channel has also come to an end, according to EW. Over the years, Hallmark has served as home to several of Louglin’s projects, including the episodic drama When Calls the Heart, the mystery film series Garage Sale Mysteries, and several original Christmas movies.

Hallmark Channel owner Crown Media said in a statement, “We are saddened by the recent news surrounding the college admissions allegations. We are no longer working with Lori Loughlin and have stopped development of all productions that air on the Crown Media Family Network channels involving Lori Loughlin.”
Fuller House is up to five seasons?! That's probably the most shocking part of all this.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 pm Fuller House is up to five seasons?! That's probably the most shocking part of all this.