News about Netflix exclusive films and content

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Re: Netflix exclusive films and content

Post by Victoria Raverna »

TheMix wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:53 pm
Moliere wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm
TheMix wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:28 pm Finally got around to watching Polar. I thought Mads and Vanessa were solid. As for the "A-Team"... good lord.
Two questions about the A-team vs. Mads...
Spoiler:
Are we supposed to believe this highly trained assassin fell for the stranded hot chick whose car broke down and now wants to fuck him all the sudden?

Does Mads avoid the first shot to the back purely back accident when he leaned back and pulled the woman upright? I didn't see any indication that he knew the shot was coming.
I think that...
Spoiler:
We are supposed to believe he was onto them from the beginning. And his "6th sense" or something told him when to move so that the shot would hit her. i.e. I took it as completely intentional.
Spoiler:
I also don't think it is an accident. He know that the woman is a plant. Which is why during the sex, he makes sure that anyone try to snipe him will not have a clear shot without hitting the girl. When the girl suddenly stop and want to give him a blow job, he know that is the moment since that'll be the position where the sniper will have a clear shot to kill him without hitting the woman. So the something that told him to move is not his "6th sense" but the woman's action. He is taking unnecessary risk (the sniper can shoot before he has chance to lean back) but this is a movie.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:20 pm Kingdom season 1 is pretty cool. I’m only one episode in but it’s already a winner for me. South Korea a few hundred or so years ago is experiencing a strange contagion that’s sickened the emperor, leaving the crown prince having to deal with his stepmother and her duplicitous family.

But that contagion isn’t really small pox. It tends to reanimate its victims, turning them into...well, watch it and find out.

I also binge watched The Magnificent Medici, season 2 of the historical drama on Netflix concerning the famous bankers of Florence.

Hopefully I’ll shake this cold before I’ve finished everything Netflix.
I just started Kingdom. I like the various fancy hats. Also the
Spoiler:
zombies
are pretty terrifying.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Also, Mu-yeong (the prince's assistant) cracks me up. He's usually comic relief/voice of reason, but you just know there's a bad ass in there from the way he was first introduced.
Covfefe!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Watched a few episodes of Umbrella Academy. It is a bit slow at the start but the story is very strange and interesting.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:18 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 am Sabrina's out today. Not ashamed to say that nostalgia requires that I watch it.
From what I saw, your nostalgia might be hiding under the blankets. Unless they're doing some creative editing with the previews, this looked genuinely creepy.
Yeah, Melissa Joan Hart this is not, but I still must check it out.
Spoiler: it was good.

In other news, The Dragon Prince season 2 is out, and garnering even better reviews than S1. Sounding like this may be a proper Avatar follow-up in terms of quality.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:59 am Also, Mu-yeong (the prince's assistant) cracks me up. He's usually comic relief/voice of reason, but you just know there's a bad ass in there from the way he was first introduced.
Finished season 1 and the way they left it I’m relieved that there’s a season 2 coming eventually. I really loved the dawning horror they felt as they realized that
Spoiler:
the zombies weren’t going to sleep at all but it was the warm temperature that made them dormant.
Also, even though it was still bad I was relieved that
Spoiler:
the pregnant women weren’t being fattened up to feed to the emperor. Still sucked though about their fate.
Also, Korean undead are pretty tough and fast as kids ate parents, parents ate kids, siblings ate siblings, wives ate husbands, etc.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:31 am Watched a few episodes of Umbrella Academy. It is a bit slow at the start but the story is very strange and interesting.
Robert Sheehan's in it? Sold.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

About 7 episodes in. I like it a lot.
The guy who plays Kraus is excellent.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Zaxxon wrote:
In other news, The Dragon Prince season 2 is out, and garnering even better reviews than S1. Sounding like this may be a proper Avatar follow-up in terms of quality.
My daughter and I binged it the past few days and just finished. It's fantastic. Still has that Avatar like silliness to it at times but otherwise this season handles several darker themes very well.

Only downside is that, just like season 1 it all flies by and is over much too soon. We're already anxiously waiting for season 3.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:20 pm About 7 episodes in. I like it a lot.
The guy who plays Kraus is excellent.
That’s Robert Sheehan. He was fantastic in Red Riding and Misfits. Although the young actor playing Number 5 is definitely the breakout star of the show.

I’m two episodes in and Umbrella Academy is great so far. Between this and Doom Patrol, it’s a good time to be a fan of slightly offbeat superhero stories.
Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Finished it. Thought it was one of the better shows I've seen in awhile.
But again, it says Season 1. Just don't know how they could continue it and keep it as fresh and interesting as this was.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

hepcat wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:49 pm I’m two episodes in and Umbrella Academy is great so far
Wasn't expecting much, but yeah, Umbrella Academy has been great so far. It's like Wes Anderson re-imagined the first season of Heroes.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That's the best description for the show I've read. :D
Covfefe!
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I can totally see that. Sadly, I do not like Wes Anderson's style at all.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I found this pretty funny:

What if Wes Anderson directed the X-Men
Black lives matter!

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That actually looks way better than X Men 3. I'd pay to see that.
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finally got around to Polar today. Mads was great, and it was a pretty decent John Wick clone. The final “battle” with the big bad was awesome. :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:50 pm I found this pretty funny:

What if Wes Anderson directed the X-Men

[Wes Anderson dialogue]That's actually kind of wonderful.[/Wes Anderson dialogue]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Umbrella Academy renewed for second season on Netflix:
The hit show, based on a graphic novel by former My Chemical Romance frontman turned solo star Gerard Way, tells the tale of a group of kids – Spaceboy, the Kraken, the Rumor, the Séance, Number Five, the Horror, and the White Violin – born within 24 hours to women who weren’t even pregnant when they woke up.

Now, GWW reports that the second season of The Umbrella Academy will be going into production at the end of 2019 in Toronto, with Peter Hoar signed on to direct the first episode. Hoar directed the pilot for the series, as well as episode 10 of season one.
I knew it was a graphic novel; didn't know the author. New Jersey represent!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Finished Russian Dolls in one sitting today on a long flight. It's an absolutely brilliant show, can't recommend it highly enough. Lyonne is amazing, and the story is remarkably well told. I would recommend going in knowing as little as possible so it can't be spoiled.

Netflix is hitting it out of the park with their "quirky" shows lately.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Watched "Errimentari: The Devil and the Blacksmith" last night. It's a retelling of an old fable about a blacksmith who makes a deal with the devil, and is set in Spain after the 1833 Carlist War. It's in Basque, but does have an English dub available (which is awful...stick to the original language with subtitles). Due to the setting, the "fairy tale" nature of the story, the foreign language, and the general subject matter, comparisons to Pan's Labyrinth are inevitable. It kinda feels like what Pan's would have been with a less skilled director and about 1/3 of the budget. That said, the story is well told and the acting is great. Especially from the demon Sartael, who absolutely chews up the scenery and steals every scene he's in. The cinematography is excellent, as is the makeup for the demons. It doesn't end up packing nearly the emotional gut punch that Pan's had, but is still a very entertaining tale that is well told. 6 out of 8 tentacles.

Also started Peaky Blinders, and got through the first three episodes. Not entirely sold on it yet (mainly because I have a hell of a time understanding half of what they're saying), but it certainly has some potential. Cillian Murphy and Sam Neil are fantastic, as always. Reserving judgement on this one until I get a bit further in.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've started watching Errimentari: The Devil and the Blacksmith about 4 times now. I think I left off at the 45 minute mark or so. Nothing that's the fault of the movie, though. Just things came up and I got distracted, never to return. But someday...someday.

Peaker Blinders though is binge worthy. Turn on the subtitles if you're having issues understanding them through the accents. Or is the slang they use causing you the trouble?
Covfefe!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am Peaker Blinders though is binge worthy. Turn on the subtitles if you're having issues understanding them through the accents. Or is the slang they use causing you the trouble?
Mostly just the thick accents. Didn't think about using subtitles, will give that a shot.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The oldest brother in the Peaky Blinders is the standout actor in the group, in my opinion. He steals almost every scene he's in. Also, if you're not searching for songs from the show after the third episode, you're a stronger man than me. There's some great music on that show.
Covfefe!
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 pm Umbrella Academy renewed for second season on Netflix:
Excellent news. Recently finished the first one and its pretty damn awesome. Really enjoyed it.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just finished Big Mouth. Interesting show. I thought the Planned Parenthood episode was very well done. I'm curious to see where they take Season 3.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Laura

Post by Laura »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 am
Also started Peaky Blinders, and got through the first three episodes. Not entirely sold on it yet (mainly because I have a hell of a time understanding half of what they're saying), but it certainly has some potential. Cillian Murphy and Sam Neil are fantastic, as always. Reserving judgement on this one until I get a bit further in.
I loved Peaky Blinders and hope there is another season soon. I had a hard time with the first couple episodes, but I soon grew to love it.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Peaky Blinders was a slow burn for me. Totally worth it though
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

With most shows, I'm paying more attention to the storyline than the actual acting. While the performances may be good, even excellent, they only serve to deliver the story.

Peaky Blinders is one of the few exceptions where I genuinely was as interested in the acting as I was everything else. The cast of that show is just incredible, and I enjoyed sitting back and just watching top-notch talent working together.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Looks like I'll have to give that one another try. Everytime I try, I tend to lose interest which is odd seeing as I love other similar shows, so part of it might be down to the subject itself.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Another Dragon Prince interview. You should all be watching this show. It's fantastic.

So is the soundtrack. A couple from Season 2:

Really, I can't say enough about this show. My girls love it, I love it, and it's going to serve as a great segue to get them into the more YA/adult fantasy as they get a little older

It had better get a third season. And a fourth.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm
Commenters do make a good point about lack of promotion. Granted, I’m not exactly the target audience, but I have literally never heard of this show. Not even once.

I honestly didn’t think that was possible with a Netflix produced show. They pimp the hell out of EVERYTHING...except this, apparently.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had heard about it, but only through Entertainment Weekly who raved about it every chance they got. I don't think I ever saw it even show up in my feed.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:03 pm
This bummed me out. I loved the first two seasons. I feel partially responsible because I haven't started watching the third yet. I wanted to wait until I had time to watch over a few days. It's a Sony production, so there's always a chance someone else could pick it up and run with it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It's also a remake of a popular 70's sitcom. I do agree they should have really promoted it more.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Love, Death and Robots is great so far. Short animated vignettes covering a range of science fiction topics, as well as social and psychological ones. Episode 2 (Three Robots) had me laughing out loud more than once, while the first one was a bit creepy and definitely gory. Not for the wee ones, that’s for sure.

The animation is pretty damn amazing at times, too.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Agreed. Ended up watching six or seven episodes last night since they're all pretty short. After the first few, I hopped around a bit and cherry-picked the rest: one about intelligent yogurt, another about a hyperjump gone wrong and then Lucky Number 13. 8-)
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:15 pm Love, Death and Robots is great so far.
As a StarCraft fan, Suits made me smile. It has both the voice actors for Tychus and Sgt. Hammer from StarCraft 2 in it and they are piloting mechs against Zerg like creatures. Sgt. Hammer's mech is even 4 legged and seems like a gentle call back to her tank from the game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Suits was so well done that its 17 or so minute run time STILL felt like a full movie. I don't think I've come across one that I haven't liked so far.
Covfefe!