Let's play: Battletech via MegaMek

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NickAragua

Re: Let's play: Battletech via MegaMek

Post by NickAragua »

We've completed the "rescuing" part. According to the liaison, we are still obligated to continue assisting the MAC until they have completed their objectives or the contract's duration runs out (April 20th). She shares a list of strategic facilities that the MAC plans to hit (a variety of "destroy", "capture and hold" objectives for each) over the next few months - including the above-mentioned air defense facility (and also including a weapons manufacturing center, as well as the usual assortment of military bases).

The usage of WMDs (especially against civilian populations) is highly frowned upon... by whoever they get used against. The guys using them and their friends, well, they'll figure out a way to justify it or not care. Of course, if we're being set up, then the Capellans probably wouldn't want us hanging out presenting "evidence" and otherwise undermining whatever they're doing.

Which is made more problematic by the fact that we don't actually have any evidence of anything at this point.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

How good at acting are we?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm There are two main tasks for us this week:

1. Get a reliable count and close-up scans of a particular enemy unit that's been poking around an area designated by the liaison. She'll come out with the lance we send out, and the MAC will provide backup.

2. Relieve a MAC force guarding a heavy anti-air launch site captured earlier in the week. They are expecting an incoming attack and need someone to hold down the fort while they repair and resupply.
Great, I knew we shouldn't have taken this one. Going forward in this mission, we don't do anything we don't absolutely have to per the contract unless we have to do it to protect ourselves.

1 - Delta 1 can go get scans.

2 - Beta 1 to guard the launch site.

We should make preparations to be ready to leave this place rapidly, in case things go south and we have to make a run for it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:41 pm
NickAragua wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:13 pm There are two main tasks for us this week:

1. Get a reliable count and close-up scans of a particular enemy unit that's been poking around an area designated by the liaison. She'll come out with the lance we send out, and the MAC will provide backup.

2. Relieve a MAC force guarding a heavy anti-air launch site captured earlier in the week. They are expecting an incoming attack and need someone to hold down the fort while they repair and resupply.
Great, I knew we shouldn't have taken this one. Going forward in this mission, we don't do anything we don't absolutely have to per the contract unless we have to do it to protect ourselves.

1 - Delta 1 can go get scans.

2 - Beta 1 to guard the launch site.

We should make preparations to be ready to leave this place rapidly, in case things go south and we have to make a run for it.
Hey, I voted for Butte Hold. Or Butte Hurte. Whatever it was.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

November 9, 3038
Air Defence Launch Site

Beta-One winds up stationed within a fairly substantial facility, with naval lasers and other unpleasantness pointed skyward. Because we have some time, we deploy an infantry platoon equipped with long-range (for infantry) support laser cannons, and plop down land mines on some likely approaches. Then we wait for the MAC to relieve us.

We receive a terse message that they are en route, but, sensors show an incoming swarm of militia units, backed up by a heavy mech lance. We'll have to hold down the fort by ourselves until the MAC guys get there.

An additional unpleasant surprise hits us when the incoming Davion forces remotely seize control of half of the base's defensive turrets. Granted, they're all light anti-infantry crap, but it's still annoying.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
The turrets that haven't been compromised and the ones that have open fire on each other. Both sets are in pretty heavy-duty bunkers and are primarily anti-infantry equipment, so it'll take them a while to bring each other down on their own. While waiting for the enemy units to get there, our mechs take the time for some target practice. But, even with our mechs helping out, those turres are tough.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
One of the enemy tanks hits a mine cluster, taking some major armor and motive damage. One of its buddies tries to drive around and crashes into a building instead. Not bad.

Our infantry continue to pour on the fire into one of the compromised turrets, sending laser blasts into it. After receiving a solid beating from said infantry and Moley's lasers, the turret stops firing. Zenn7 and Zarathud take out another one in a similar manner, while LordMortis unloads on a third. That takes out all the turrets that could have threatened the base structures we're supposed to defend, so now it's time to deal with the actual attackers.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
A Vedette runs into another one of our minefields. The explosion bends its main cannon out of shape and blows all the front armor off, so that tank is out of action.

Moley and LordMortis hop out of their hiding spots and engage targets. The brave Scorpion tank that had "cleared" a minefield earlier is still trundling forward and eats a laser directly through the weakened front armor, taking it out. LordMortis gets pummeled by light autocannon fire from tanks and LRMs from a distant Crusader, which throws his aim off a bit. The damage to the Atlas is insignificant, however.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Moley engages a Pegasus, which pelts our Thunderbolt with SRMs while absorbing a surprising amount of laser fire. LordMortis steps to the side, avoiding LRMs from a Manticore heavy tank and a Crusader, although his Atlas takes a couple of AC/2 and SRM dings from nearby Vedettes. He lets rip with the autocannon and lasers, taking one of the tanks apart. Zenn7 and Zarathud move down a street to the south, trying to get in range of a group of tanks, which ping away with AC/2s from beyond PPC range to little effect.

The LRMs flying by LordMortis are actually intended for our infantry platoon, which tries to cross the street to get to a better firing position. Most make it, except for four who get caught in blast radii.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
An LRM Carrier rounds a corner, looking to fire at Moley, who runs up to point blank range. No sense in letting sixty LRMs get good target locks. Surgical precision strikes take out the vehicles treads. To emphasize the point, Moley lifts up a foot briefly, encouraging the crew to scramble out.

Zenn7 and Zarathud advance down their chosen street, enemy vehicles scattering to get out of the way. A Vedette isn't quick enough and eats four PPC shots, more or less falling apart after that. An automated flamer turret melts another Vedette's treads to slag. Faced with the prospect of being barbecued, the crew chooses to bug out.

One of the automated turrets on our side has been taking a pounding, and is about to collapse.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
The small laser turret collapses under fire from a distant Jagermech and its Vedette buddies.

A Manticore drives around the corner with a Vedette for backup, engaging LordMortis' Atlas. It actually gets in some good hits, but then is completely pulverized by AC/20, laser and SRM fire. The Atlas lurches as it becomes slightly unbalanced due to the major armor loss, but LordMortis quickly regains control and stomps on the front of the nearby Vedette, ripping off all the armor. The tank's driver thinks the better of it and reverses back down the street.

Moley takes a few more SRMs from a nearby Pegasus and swats an infantry trying to rappel down on to the Thunderbolt from a nearby Ferret.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
The Crusader rounds the corner, engaging LordMortis. The Atlas takes a couple of medium laser hits, machine gun rounds plink harmlessly off the armor, and a few SRMs scatter around. LordMortis frowns, then spins up all of his close range weapons and fires away. The Atlas' cockpit heats up quite a bit, but the Crusader gets knocked down after losing several tons of armor. To accent the point, LordMortis brings the hundred-ton mech's foot down on the Crusader's left leg, crushing the SRM launcher there, along with that segment of the leg.

Moley moves to engage a Vedette and gets bushwhacked by a Whitworth jumping in. Well, the Whitworth comes away worse, losing a bunch of armor to laser fire. The Thunderbolt takes some hits from a harassing Pegasus and dodges the Whitworth's attacks, but Zarathud's Awesome is now making its way down the street to help out.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
LordMortis grunts as a Pegasus unloads SRMs on his mech, dinging one of the lasers. The Atlas' counterattack mostly misses, except for a single laser, which takes out several fans, causing the hovertank to swerve into a lamppost. A solid curb stomp on the fallen Crusader fails to get it to stop moving.

Zarathud puts two PPC shots in the front of a Vedette as it tries to fire on Moley, stripping off all the armor. Moley follows up with a large laser shot to the same location, coring the tank out, then kicks aside a couple of infantry guys, as the rifle fire is getting annoying.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
A laser carrier rolls around a corner, firing at Zenn7's Awesome. Zenn7 backs up a little, causing most of the shots to miss, then fires PPCs at the vehicle, evaporating it. Zarathud fires down the street at an LRM Carrier, taking it out, although not before it lets loose with an LRM salvo, impacting our mech with thirty two out of sixty missiles, forcing Zarathud to take a knee.

LordMortis continues beating up the downed Crusader, which is starting to resemble the Monty Python Black Knight at this point, but is still trying to prop itself up and fire arm-mounted weapons.

Moley lasers and stomps another Vedette into oblivion.

The Davion force may have been willing to continue the fight if it was just against us, but the arrival of MAC reinforcements from the south convinces the remainder that it's time to go.

Except the Crusader. LordMortis levels his AC/20 at the lighter mech's cockpit as it struggles to prop itself up against a wall and hits the button to activate the loudspeaker.

"You gave it a good shot, but it's over. Time to shut it down."

A tight-beam transmission comes at the Atlas from the Crusader, then the mechwarrior complies, climbing out, looking a little beat up, coughing from the smoke coming out of the nearby tank wrecks. LordMortis looks suspiciously around to see if there are any Capellans nearby, then calls out - "Get going."

We did lose one of the infantry guys, the other three are fine. Other than a few sprains here and there. Our salvage crews grab a spare medium laser barrel off the laser carrier to replace the one LordMortis lost, and we lever the downed Crusader on a flatbed truck to haul it back to base. Repairing it isn't an option currently, but we'll box it up and put it in the Jumbo - we'll be able to take it apart for spare parts, sell it or fix it up. The commander of the relief force is impressed that we were able to take down the suborned turrets while preserving most of the base. We do him a solid by sending him remote deactivation codes for the remaining land mines.

The contents of the transmission are a set of mech sensor readings, a few pictures of a couple of "Fox's Breath" crates, and a set of coordinates. The sensor readings match up with what Delta-One recorded when carrying the Capellan mech briefcases. The coordinates are a random chunk of wasteland tundra within a couple hundred kilometers of our base. Shall we pay it a visit?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Damn those 1337 h@xx0rz!

Yeah, let's go check out the tundra.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Hell yes we go check it out. I ain't gonna be caught holding the glowing end of the stick if I don't have to. Like I/ve said, I don't mind blowing a mech sky-high, and I don't mind stomping on a tank filled with infantry that wants to kill me, but I draw the line at civilians and chemical warfare.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is this the part of the storyline where we reveal ourselves to be tough, hard-fightin' mercenaries, but with hearts of gold?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, that all kind of depends, doesn't it?
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:16 pm Yeah, let's go check out the tundra.
Send in El Guapo alone, on foot.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Did someone say gold?

(I'm glad you're the mastermind behind our urban warfare. When I was trying to create my personal nick experience in MegaMek I discovered the AI to be my match in a 100% urban area)

My fear is this the part of the story where we get framed and become the A Te...Company.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm Is this the part of the storyline where we reveal ourselves to be tough, hard-fightin' mercenaries, but with hearts of gold?
If we went, investigated and saved the day, we'd have hearts of gold.

If we just broke our contract, we'd be not terrible people.

If we reached out to Davion and tried to work out a contract with them to switch sides, we'd be not heartless but still very mercenary!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:33 pm (I'm glad you're the mastermind behind our urban warfare. When I was trying to create my personal nick experience in MegaMek I discovered the AI to be my match in a 100% urban area)
It's funny, I used to dislike urban scenarios, but I actually wind up preferring those and rough terrain (hills or lots of woods). Since the bot almost always gets swarms of crappy units, rough terrain allows me to manage line of sight a lot better. My worst nightmare is being caught out on flat ground by a swarm of hovercraft.

I bet I'd feel different about urban combat if I turned "double blind" mode on, but the bot's efficiency *really* drops off, and it'll just stand there.
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Sticking our nose where it's going to blow up? No. We have wallets of gold, and no hearts.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Don't mistake me for a soft-hearted hero-type. I just don't like killing civilians, much less with chemical weapons.

And I trust our current employer about as far as I can toss my 'mech.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I suppose if we stole the WMDs we could threaten to redirect them towards our employer unless they double our salary or something.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

November 11, 3038
While we're discussing whether or not to visit the Davion-provided coordinates, Delta-One moves as previously planned to conduct recon. They're backed up by our liaison, who's chosen to drive a Griffin for this operation, and by a lance of fast hovertanks from the MAC. Well, mostly a lance of fast hovertanks. One of the four is a Scorpion. Our lance members exchange amused looks, as they expect those tanks to go down pretty fast in case we get into any actual combat.

Things go pear-shaped pretty quickly, as we surprise a reinforced mech lance plus a reinforced tank lance setting up concealed positions.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
As Freyland runs for cover in some woods, a Goblin opens fire. Unfortunately, the Goblin opens up with LRMs, at point blank range, so instead of a beating, our Quickdraw receives an amusing little fireworks display as LRMs scatter every which way but at it.

One of the allied Saladins gets beat up by a Locust firing machine guns and a Pike support vehicle firing AC/2s as they spring an ambush when the hovertank passes by some woods. It remains intact, but slows down greatly as smoke trails from it.

It looks like the Davion guys have a Thunderbolt, Rifleman and Centurion (AC/20 variant) for heavy units, along with a Zhukov tank.

We return fire and get some good hits in - Madmarcus tags the ambushing Locust with a couple of SRMs. While its turning to face our mech, a pair of Saladins blow it away with AC/20 fire. Paingod inflicts severe damage on a Condor, Archinerd scores a headshot on the Thunderbolt, which is busy whittling away at the nearby Scorpion, which remains intact after the weapons fire, but not when said Thunderbolt steps on it. The ammo inside the light tank goes off, scorching the mech's foot.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Freyland "discovers" a Javelin when it drills our Quickdraw with three lasers. Armor holds up, but that was annoying. As our mechwarrior rotates the Quickdraw to the left, the Javelin simply falls over as an AC/20 shot to the back of the head takes it out.

One of the MAC Saladins blasts the Rifleman with its AC/20, breaching the right torso and taking out a medium laser. The enemy mech retaliates by slashing off a chunk of the hovertank's skirt, and it poofs down into the snow.

Paingod jumps into the river and sinks the Condor hovertank - a large laser blast causes it to dip downwards and glug glug glug. Archinerd fires LRMs at the Goblin that Freyland discovered earlier, removing its treads entirely. The two remaining Saladins get disabled or destroyed pretty quickly by enemy counterattacks, but they took out a good amount of hardware while they were active.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
The Davion forces begin a retreat, their planned ambush having been spoiled. Madmarcus disables the Zhukov (a dual AC/10 tank) after it puts two autocannon bursts into the Wolverine's left leg, damaging an actuator and forcing our mech to a knee.

Round 4+:
Spoiler:
We disenagage, moving to the south, and allowing the remaining Davion units to withdraw, except for a pair of Vedettes which are too slow - Archinerd stops one with LRMs, Madmarcus burns out the treads of another with lasers.

Despite letting the bulk of the Davion forces get away (it was a recon mission after all), we still haul in about 1.5M C-Bills worth of salvage. The MAC is able to recover two of their Saladins, and, since they got the kills on the two mechs, they get those as well. The Scorpion isn't quite as recoverable, having been scattered to the four winds, and our salvage crews get a good chuckle hauling the Condor out of the water while its crew shiver in one of our APCs.

Madmarcus' Wolverine is a little beat up (two AC/10 rounds to the left leg followed by some pitter-patter), so that mech will be out of action for the week. We'll need to put the mechwarrior in a spare. We've got a couple of Griffins, or maybe MM and Paingod can swap and Paingod can get back into a Griffin while Madmarcus steps into the Ostroc. The Wolverine should be back in action within a couple of days, but we need our mechwarriors out there ASAP, so downtime isn't an option.

The morning briefing with the liaison and the MAC commanders is tense, both because we're pretty sure someone in the group is about to nerve gas a bunch of people, and because we're in for an intense week of operations.

For starters, a fully-laden spheroid dropship, probably full of mechs, has landed within a day's march of our landing zone. We need a recon team to go out there and find out what they're doing. The MAC guys volunteer to send along some backup as well from where they're located to run interference for our recon lance if need be. If it turns out that there's a lot of mechs, we'll probably want to commit an additional, heavier lance to the exercise.

Second, the liaison informs us (her voice dripping with sarcasm) that, since we're so good at killing off personnel that she wanted us to capture and interrogate, she will require the services of a lance from both us and the MAC to eliminate another Davion officer.

Third, the MAC have requested that we send a lance to help them defend one of their dropships that has been grounded by hostile aircraft. They've driven off the "little mosquitoes", as he puts it, but have detected a significant enemy ground force approaching. This is pretty convenient, as the dropship has been grounded near the coordinates given to us earlier, so we can kill two birds with one stone by sending two lances there, and having one check out the coordinates beforehand.

Finally, the liaison informs us that the MAC have captured a strategic industrial facility, and were in the process of setting demolitions and sabotage, when a Davion force attacked. The MAC drove them off but took severe damage and need a lance to relieve the defenders until they can finish their work.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Demanding, isn't she? We better be getting a lot of money.

[successfully finds and hotlinks a picture of Han and Leia on Yavin before the Death Star assault]
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:33 pm For starters, a fully-laden spheroid dropship, probably full of mechs, has landed within a day's march of our landing zone. We need a recon team to go out there and find out what they're doing. The MAC guys volunteer to send along some backup as well from where they're located to run interference for our recon lance if need be. If it turns out that there's a lot of mechs, we'll probably want to commit an additional, heavier lance to the exercise.

Second, the liaison informs us (her voice dripping with sarcasm) that, since we're so good at killing off personnel that she wanted us to capture and interrogate, she will require the services of a lance from both us and the MAC to eliminate another Davion officer.

Third, the MAC have requested that we send a lance to help them defend one of their dropships that has been grounded by hostile aircraft. They've driven off the "little mosquitoes", as he puts it, but have detected a significant enemy ground force approaching. This is pretty convenient, as the dropship has been grounded near the coordinates given to us earlier, so we can kill two birds with one stone by sending two lances there, and having one check out the coordinates beforehand.

Finally, the liaison informs us that the MAC have captured a strategic industrial facility, and were in the process of setting demolitions and sabotage, when a Davion force attacked. The MAC drove them off but took severe damage and need a lance to relieve the defenders until they can finish their work.
Dropship that's dropping in on us - Recon is obviously Delta 1, have Alpha 1 back them up.

Send Gamma 2 off to kill someone.

Beta 1 to defend MAC dropship with Gamma 1 coming along (after a slight detour to check out some interesting sights...)

Beta 2 to defend the MAC strategic industrial facility.

Thinking missions 1 and 3 require a heavy lance - which is Alpha/Beta/Gamma 1 - and that we want a leader lance (any of the 1 lances where OO's are the mechwarriors, not our virtual cohorts) to check out the suspicious coordinates. That kind of dictates where we need to go. The other 2 require heavier lances and that's Alpha/Beta/Gamma 2, so that's what we sent for missions 2 and 4.

Nick - if Gamma 1's siteseeing trip reveals something bad, what are our options in reality? (I'd be in favor of trying to negotiate a contract w/ Davion to switch sides, but not sure that's possible).
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

(Sorry, was out of touch on a cruise ship for the past bit)

Hell yes we send someone to the Davion coordinates. Being party to (or the scapegoat for) war crimes isn't in our portfolio.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'll enumerate them (and Scrub's evaluations of their benefits, drawbacks and chances of success), but the available options will depend on how Gamma-One performs in their scenario.

November 14, 3038
Delta-One moves in to recon the site where we detected the Davion dropship landing. The dropship is long-gone, thankfully, but it left behind a large number of presents. Delta-One counts two heavy mech lances, almost two light mech lances, and a reinforced company of militia tanks (mostly tracks, but a few hovers and a helicopter). They're camped out in a pretty large cluster of structures. Nothing too sturdy - a mix of new pre-fabs and older-looking buildings.

For the time being, Madmarcus has borrowed Paingod's Ostroc, while Paingod climbs into a Griffin. Madmarcus sends out the coded signal for the MAC units to initiate their diversion, and Delta-One moves in, hoping to get detailed scans of the units and buildings. The heavy snowfall will help cover our approach and prevent us from getting shot up too much, hopefully.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
We'll need to use the buildings for cover, since that's quite a large number of mechs out there. Including a lance that's approaching from the west, behind us. These must be the 12th Vegan Rangers.

The plan is to cut across the base to the north of the main enemy force and carry out our scans, then have a mech swing south to check out the lone building there.

Unfortunately, the MAC's diversionary attack comes from basically the opposite side of the base where most of the enemy units are located, so, to respond, they'll wind up moving across our line of advance. Hopefully we'll have gotten through by the time they finish scrambling.

Archinerd exchanges LRMs with an enemy Centurion, neither mech hitting.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
A couple of bug mechs are going to be able to intercept us, which is annoying, but not fatal. Just as long as they don't tie us up so the heavies can crush us. Paingod fires the Griffin's PPC at a distant Goblin tank, stripping some armor off its side, while the rest of the weapons fire misses.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
A Wasp jumps up to our mechs, supported by long-range fire from its ground-bound buddies. Unfortunately, Freyland is on the ball and zaps it with four lasers plus a pair of streak SRMs, breaching armor in multiple places - an SRM renders the left arm non-functional. The enemy mech zaps away with its one medium laser, which goes through a weak spot in the armor and just barely misses an ammo bin, shorting out a jump jet instead.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
The damaged jump jet impairs Freyland's mobility, and the Quickdraw takes a bit of a beating, although the armor holds up. Well, avoiding three out of four PPC shots isn't too bad. Paingod scores a torso hit on the attacking Stinger, discouraging it a bit as the right torso nearly disappears.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
We continue jumping east, taking cover behind buildings as best we can. Paingod legs the Stinger from the previous turn, heating that Griffin up but good. I'd say it was worth it, though.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
For that flurry of fire, not much hits - Freyland and the Firestarter exchange medium lasers to some armored sections, but the rest of the weapons fire misses. The Firestarter launches a kick at our Quickdraw, but Freyland steps out of reach, and the overextended light mech falls over.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
"Delta-Two, break northeast and engage from long range." Madmarcus orders Freyland. A Stinger is reluctant to let our Quickdraw go, which is too bad for it, as its right arm gets cut off by laser fire, along with a large chunk of the right torso. With its only real weapon gone (leaving it with a machine gun in the left arm), the enemy mech backs off.

We hear a massive explosion from the west, followed by a brief transmission: "Charlie-Three reports target destroyed. One Wasp down."

Archinerd and Madmarcus get close to a pair of buildings, conducting sensor scans. It looks like there are some old mech repair gantries here, as well as several storehouses. Six more structures to go.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Hoo boy. Lance of heavy mechs, coming in from the west. It won't be relevant too us, but the MAC guys are probably going to get plastered. Unless, somehow, three Vedettes and a VTOL can take out a Grasshopper, a Marauder, a Quickdraw and a Victor.

On the plus side, scanning is in full swing, and we get good sensor data on four more buildings while only being hit by light anti-infantry weapons.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
Freyland moves northeast, but that Firestarter managed to get up and won't leave our mech alone. Freyland rotates the Quickdraw left, zapping the pursuing mech with several laser blasts and letting out a pair of SRMs. One of the lasers punches through the right leg armor and ruins the hip joint, while Freyland's right arm takes a hit to the hand actuator. Not a big deal, but it does cause only one of the Quickdraw's punches to hit.

Still, with a damaged hip joint, that Firestarter won't be chasing anyone around any more.

One of the allied Vedettes reports an armor breach and begins withdrawing to the north. Good luck to that guy.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Paingod breaks south to scan the last building we need and takes a few autocannon rounds, but nothing major. The mechwarrior smirks as the Griffin's PPC shot takes a chunk out of one of the target Warrior helicopter's rotors. Archinerd takes a kick from a pursuing Stinger. We'll need to shake the little bastard off before we can clear the base.

The MAC Peregrine reports taking severe damage, which is not surprising, since it's trying to delay three heavies and an assault mech.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
Paingod gets a scan of the last building, and we're out. Madmarcus "clears out" the pursuing Stinger by the simple expedient of kicking it so hard that its entire left side shears off.

Round 12+:
Spoiler:
We leave the area without anymore serious damage. Except for Paingod blowing away a pursuing Pegasus hovertank with a PPC. And an LTV-4 putting several PPC shots into the Griffin as we clear out, but then Archinerd disables it with covering fire from the Dervish's LRMs, forcing it to plow into the rapidly-accumulating snow.

As Delta-One gets clear, they squeak a transmission of their acquired data to Alpha-One and HQ. The conclusion is, the Davion forces (specifically, the 12th Vegan Rangers) are attempting to reactivate an old mech maintenance facility, to use as a base of operations for conducting a more thorough search of the area. One way or another, we can't really have that, so Alpha-One will be going in to demolish the relevant structures. If they can rout the hostiles, great, but not required.

It'll be pretty tough going, as, by the time Alpha-One starts their attack, the snow will have piled up pretty deep. On the plus side, that'll greatly reduce the mobility options for the opposing units, especially their tanks. Delta-One reports having taken out three Stingers, in addition to a pair of hovertanks, while the diversionary force got a Wasp, so that'll make the battle a little bit easier. Still, two heavy mech lances will make for a tough fight.

The MAC units providing the diversion got pretty beat up, though, with two Vedettes and the VTOL having retreated with armor breaches, while one of the Vedettes got disabled and has been captured, so they won't be able to provide any more help. Honestly, taking out the Wasp and getting three out of four of their units out after getting bushwhacked by a heavy mech lance is pretty impressive - we are talking about the lowest of the low kind of units, here: Vedettes just have an AC/5 and a machinegun (although, to be fair, one of them was a Liao variant with two medium lasers instead).

Delta-One reports status green, except for Freyland, whose armor is firmly in the yellow, with a damaged right arm and a blown-out jump jet. Ammo expenditure was minimal so far. The heavy snow will reduce Delta-One's maneuvering options (walking through it is slower than usual, while jumping into heavy snow makes you easier to hit due to reduced maneuverability), but having Alpha-One take on two heavy mech lances with backup doesn't really smile on us, either. Does Delta-One help with the assault?

Also, Gbasden, your guy has enough XP to upgrade a little bit:
+1 Piloting (from 3 to 2)
Melee Master (2x melee attacks rather than 1, like what Isgrimnur has with the axe)
save up for a higher-cost ability
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's good to be in the Griffin again. I can take the heat. :D
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I like Melee Master. Also, I think yes on Delta-One reinforcing. Freyland should just be under orders to hang back and play defensively.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

gbasden wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:51 pm Also, I think yes on Delta-One reinforcing. Freyland should just be under orders to hang back and play defensively.
Agreed.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

"So that's what I do." says Isgrimnur. "If I miss, flip the hatchet over and swing back."

"What about that thing you do with your feet?" Gbasden asks.

"Well, that only really works on tanks, if you don't punt them too far. Just bring the heel down after your foot swings past."

Alpha-One moves in to engage and destroy the mech base - the enemy mechs (and Delta-One) barely have time to cool off. However, even with Delta-One providing backup, the enemy force is pretty substantial - two heavy mech lances, plus assorted tanks.

The basic plan is to run in, blow away the buildings that make this place viable as a base of operations, then retreat. Realistically, we would get beat up pretty badly if we tried to slug it out with that much firepower.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
It's a winter wonderland, with snow drifts deep enough that mechs have trouble moving through them. The good part is that the Rangers are going to have just as much trouble getting to us, and we're coming in at an angle to put the relevant base structures between us and them, so the geometry is in our favor.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
Yep, they're getting stuck too. Great for our bottom line, not so great for their base, which we're about to blow away with PPCs and such.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
Delta-One gets moves in from the north and immediately runs into the snow drifts. The comms are filled with transmissions cursing and grumbling mechwarriors until Gbasden yells at everyone to "focus and clear the comms". Isgrumnur takes a hit from a helicopter packing an AC/2, but otherwise we keep advancing with little to get in our way.

Round 4:
Spoiler:
Whoosh-plop, then struggle out. Or, in the case of our ground-bound mechs, just power through the snow drifts at half-speed. The annoying little helicopter keeps plinking away at us. Most of the rest of their units are moving pretty slowly, though, so that'll be helpful.

Round 5-6:
Spoiler:
We open fire on the base, bringing down a couple of buildings that are blocking line-of-sight to what we're actually trying to shoot, then starting to work on the target buildings themselves. El Guapo and Paingod take out an MG turret, while Gbasden brings down a flamer turret. That little helicopter is being quite annoying with its AC/2.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
Stefan has had just about enough of that stupid helicopter and fires two full fifteen-racks of LRMs at it. This time, the missiles lock on target just fine, twenty-one out of thirty causing the Warrior to break up in mid-air and cease its annoying autocannon pitter-patter. Unfortunately, its Vedette buddies stationed up on the hills to the south pick up the slack, firing at us as we close in on the base.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
Our PPC-equipped units continue pounding on the base buildings, bringing down another two structures. Madmarcus is targeted by one of the Marauders camped out on a hilltop to the south, taking a PPC shot to the right torso. We'll need to be careful about approaching any closer.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
The enemy Quickdraw and Victor have a little trouble getting themselves unstuck from the snow, a situation of which Isgrimnur and Archinerd move to take advantage. The Quickdraw, however, is, well... the name is accurate, as it turns towards Isgrimnur, avoiding the incoming axeblows and putting several lasers into his Hatchetman's right leg, which creaks and groans suspiciously. The mech stays upright, but a quick glance at the damage indicator shows that the hip joint is ruined. At least the combination of having to avoid axe swings and losing several tons of armor causes the Quickdraw to have to drop to a knee.

Madmarcus gets bushwhacked by a Grasshopper while going for another building, but does a little better, putting a pair of large laser shots into the enemy mech while taking very few actual hits.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
"Oh shit, Victor!" Stefan calls out. That damn Victor has finally gotten itself unstuck and jumps over to Stefan's side as he fires LRMs at one of the target structures, aiming its deadly AC/20 at our Catapult. Stefan hits the enemy mech with three out of four lasers, then his mech shudders as the right missile rack absorbs the full burst. Freyland and Paingod provide covering fire, the Griffin moving forward, firing a PPC and LRMs at the Victor, scoring solid hits - one of the legs takes an armor breach and LRMs blow out an actuator, forcing the Victor to a knee.

Slightly to the south, despite the damaged hip, Isgrimnur gets in behind the Quickdraw, eating a few lasers and then letting rip with the autocannon. The shells blast through the weak rear armor, detonating the enemy mech's LRM ammo bin.

Gbasden, meanwhile, starts working on another base structure, being unable to hit the Victor.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
"Delta-Three, move around the east and take out that last building."

"Understood." Paingod replies.

As the Victor struggles to get up, Stefan moves forward to get clear. The enemy mech targets Gbasden, drilling the Awesome center of mass with an AC/20 burst and a medium laser. Then El Guapo and Gbasden unleash PPC hell on the assault mech. The first PPC hits the right torso, detonating the AC/20 ammo and turning it rapidly scattering scrap. Gbasden isn't quite able to compensate for the loss of so much armor and falls over, throwing out a puff of snow.

To the south, as Madmarcus and Archinerd work on one of the target buildings, an enemy Warhammer gets a good bead on Madmarcus, hitting the left arm with a PPC and burning out several actuators. Luckily, all of the Ostroc's guns are in the torso.

Round 12:
Spoiler:
Stefan lasers one of the designated buildings, causing it to collapse, then launches LRMs at a distant repair gantry, which, along with a salvo from Archinerd's LRMs, takes it out effectively. Just because you have some bent scaffolding with bits missing doesn't mean you can use it to repair a mech.

Madmarcus, meanwhile, puts several precision shots into another of the target facilities. The building is still standing, but the interior... well, hope they pay their janitors a lot.

This ought to prevent the remaining mechs from using the facility to fix themselves up, but there are still almost two lances up on top of those hills, firing PPCs from maximum range. We're pretty beat up, so Gbasden calls the retreat.

Round 13:
Spoiler:
Retreat proves problematic, as that Grasshopper catches up to Archinerd, and the Dervish takes a bunch of hits, including a full salvo from that Firestarter. The bastard's been sitting there behind that building the whole time, knowing he couldn't come out with that damaged hit, and now he got his chance - one of Archinerd's leg actuators snaps and the Dervish goes down.

Round 14:
Spoiler:
As Archinerd struggles up, the Firestarter continues blasting away, wrecking the Dervish's left arm. It pays the price, though - Gbasden turns around and blasts it with two PPC shots, then Stefan unloads lasers and LRMs into the damaged enemy mech. What the PPCs started, the LRMs finish off, and the Firestarter falls apart. Archinerd's eyes go wide briefly as a salvo of LRMs from a distant Hunter home in and plaster the mech's left torso. Luckily, despite the armor breach, the ammo bin was empty.

Round 15:
Spoiler:
As our damaged mechs pull out, a salvo of Freyland's LRMs finds its mark and disables a Hunter tank.

Round 16:
The pursuit slacks off, although a Davion Griffin zaps El Guapo with a PPC shot. The Marauder's return fire blows a large chunk out of a building as the Griffin ducks back to avoid shots from Stefan and Gbasden.

Round 17:
Spoiler:
Stefan takes out a pursuing Saladin hovertank with LRMs, sending it cartwheeling into a building.

The rest of the retreat is pretty orderly, although that Griffin gets a little uppity, and Gbasden has to blow its left arm off. Along with most of its left torso.

En route back to base, Gbasden notices that his foot hurts whenever he steps on the accelerator. The doctor (Dr. Wilford Mentzoni, who has a much gentler bedside manner than Dr. Minnie, although he's just as sarcastic in his own way) informs him that it's a sprain. "Common side effect of almost having your mech cored out by an AC/20, according to medical literature." So he'll be out for two weeks.

Archinerd's Dervish will need a new arm, while Stefan's Catapult will need a new missile rack. We have both in stock, but it'll take the better part of a two weeks to fix the Dervish, and three weeks for the Catapult. The techs estimate about a week to rebuild the upper part of Isgrimnur's right leg as well.

We've got a spare Catapult and a spare Dervish (just for situations like this), but not a spare Hatchetman. We'll keep a close eye on the repairs to see if we need to put our mechwarriors into spares.

Pretty nasty on both sides of the fight, but we came out ahead - our mechs will eventually get back into action. A lot of theirs won't. That was one of our longer fights, clocking in at 3 minutes (30 turns).

---------------

While Delta-One and Alpha-One slug it out in the snow, Gamma-Two and Beta-Two take care of their business. Gamma-Two eliminates their target - while a lance of MAC units runs interference and distracts a medium and heavy mech lance, Gamma-Two and the liaison take down the Davion officer then make their way out of the area. The guy must have gotten separated from his recon lance, because his Locust was only escorted by a single lance of light tanks. Either that, or they were guarding the Hi-Scout drone carrier. The Hi-Scout is something we've seen before - not much use on the battlefield, but it carries swarms of drones and equipment to coordinate them, useful for wide-area surveillance. Slow-ass bastard managed to get away when the Davion heavies came back after wiping the floor with the MAC guys.

The armored cavalry lost their entire lance (including a Vindicator and a Manticore), but the liaison doesn't seem to give a rat's ass - we got the guy. We also took out a Striker tank on the way out. Gamma-Two is only a little bit beat up, minor armor and internal damage.
Black Lives Matter
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

So lucky the catapult isnt in the same condition that the helicopter was. Sprained foot eh? Must try that excyse out
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Beta-Two is unable to defend the factory - in a short, but brutal fight, they lose the Orion to an ammo explosion, with the mechwarrior being captured. The rest of the mechwarriors give a good accounting of themselves, exploding a Javelin, crippling a Locust and an Assassin as well as disabling several tanks, but the Davion forces (a reinforced medium lance each of mechs and tanks) quickly dispatch the facility defenses. Beta-Two winds up having no choice but to withdraw. Can't win them all.

------------------

November 16, 3038

"Geez, someone humped the bunk." is Hyena's reaction to the scene they come up on. A large crater and debris strewn over a wide area, indicative of a crashed dropship. It must have been there for a while, as there's no smoke and everything is "room temperature". Gamma-One's battlemechs warn their mechwarriors that "biochemical contaminants detected externally". Implying that it may not be a good idea to pop the cockpit hatch for a breath of fresh air.

Sensors indicate a substantial group of mechs and tanks heading away from the dropship. Gamma-One gives chase, and encounters a not-entirely-unexpected situation. First, as they close in on the sensor blips, wide-band comms jamming goes into effect. Short-range stuff still works but nothing is getting out. Second, there are two combined-arms groups shooting at each other - one consisting of two lances of mechs and two tank lances, escorting eight cargo-carrying units carrying what looks like "Fox's Breath" briefcases (mech-sized). Their paint jobs are a pretty generic green, rather than the usual we've seen on the McCarron's Armored Cavalry units. The other was obviously trying to stop them, but isn't doing so well, being down to a lance of light tanks. They're painted in local militia colors.

"Enough of this mysterious nonsense." Scrub sends to Gamma-One with short-range laser comms. "Stop the convoy. Destroy the militia if they shoot at us. Let's grab at least one of those briefcases."

"Isn't that going to be a contract breach if it turns out we wind up shooting at Capellan units?" Cylus asks.

"If they're hauling around nerve gas, deploy it against Davion civilians, and we get stuck with a bill, that's going to be a little more than a contract breach." Scrub answers.

"Roger that." the other mechwarrior responds.

It'll be easier said than done, but let's see what we can do.

Round 1:
Spoiler:
It looks like the convoy is splitting up, some will try to pass north of the random town, some to the south. Hyena and Xwraith will break north, while Scrub and Cylus approach from the south. We exchange a few LRMs and light autocannon rounds with the convoy escorts as a form of greeting.

Round 2:
Spoiler:
"There, Gamma Three, that construction mech has one of the briefcases. Don't let it get past!" Scrub takes a couple of LRM and light autocannon hits, but nothing serious. We score no hits of our own.

Round 3:
Spoiler:
A hover APC tries to zip past Cylus, a Fox's Breath briefcase strapped to the top of it. The Grasshopper shakes slightly as a few LRMs from a Dervish impact it, causing Cylus to miss all but one laser short.

Scrub aims her PPCs at a distant Blackjack, hitting it in the side torso sections, then takes a few laser hits from a Condor hovertank as it roars in. She spares an SRM salvo for it, knocking out fans and immobilizing it.

Round 4:
It seems that Cylus getting that hover APC is just not to be - it dodges every one of the Grasshopper's lasers and even the symbolic LRM salvo.

Scrub works on the construction mech, hitting it with two PPC shots and breaching armor in multiple places.

To the north, however, a similar hover APC is unable to escape Hyena. The Striker's autocannon and PPC annihilate the vehicle completely, as some kind of on-board ammo detonates.

Round 5:
Spoiler:
That Blackjack is harassing Scrub, so she turns her full firepower on it, blasting the armor off both side torso sections with a PPC and two lasers. She also takes the time to backhand a Spider with her free arm, breaching its left arm armor. Her cover gets set on fire, though, so it's time to relocate.

To the north, Hyena and Xwraith work on two more briefcase-carrying vehicles, with Xwraith getting a two-fer, disabling one truck with a medium laser, then swinging the Thunderbolt's right arm around to cut another one in half with the ER large laser.

The good part is that the local militia guys appear to have decided not to shoot at us. However, they're still getting pasted, one of their tanks has been turned into a laser and LRM pincushion, and is simply sitting there, belching out smoke.

Round 6:
Spoiler:
Hyena plants a PPC shot directly into the center of mass of a Buster haulermech, stripping off most of the armor. A Davion militia Scorpion is disabled by Centurion-launched LRMs.

Cylus jumps in and continues working on the Blackjack that Scrub started on, hitting it with three lasers and an LRM salvo. The mech's right section takes a pounding, with an actuator and a laser barrel getting blown away. Scrub misses the Blackjack, but does get a solid laser hit on the Carbine to the east, causing massive leg actuator damage and ensuring it won't be going anywhere fast. The Spider continues messing with Scrub, and Cylus walks over to crack the light mech's leg. Unfortunate, as it's just fallen down in a raging inferno that it and its buddies started.

Round 7:
Spoiler:
The smoke provides decent cover for Scrub and Cylus as they continue slowly picking away at the Blackjack.

Hyena and Xwraith need to disable the remaining three cargo units to the north, then they will be able to retreat into the town and fight a little more effectively from there. Their weapons fire isn't too accurate - it's somewhat disconcerting for Hyena as one hundred twenty LRMs from two LRM Carriers come his way, but thankfully, none of them hit.

Round 8:
Spoiler:
The Blackjack has had enough and runs off. Scrub and Cylus let him go, they've got a lot more targets to take care of. Cylus exchanges laser hits for lots of SRMs from the nearby Kintaro, while Scrub disables a Vedette with PPCs.

One of the militia tanks, a laser Hetzer, gets disabled, but not before detonating an enemy SRM Scorpion, setting off all three tons of its SRM ammo, plus a half-ton of machine gun ammo.

Round 9:
Spoiler:
Hyena takes cover behind a building, providing a decent bulwark against the LRM stream. A Buster from the north zaps him with a PPC. "You call that a PPC? This is a PPC!" The Striker turns north and lets rip with an autocannon burst then follows up with a PPC shot. The autocannon breaches the Buster's center torso armor, and then the PPC hits the engine. The explosion is pretty substantial, scattering bits of industrialmech all over the battlefield. Xwraith jumps north to take down the other Buster, exchanging kicks. The industrial mech comes out way behind, with multiple destroyed leg actuators and winding up on the ground.

To the south, Scrub and Cylus engage a Dervish and a Valkyrie in the smoke. The Valkyrie stays upright through the Grasshopper's laser barrage, while the Dervish can't quite take the damage output of a Warhammer's close-range weapons (medium lasers, SRMs, small lasers and MGs for good measure), and falls over, cracking a shoulder actuator on the way down. The Valkyrie also takes a backhand from the Warhammer's unfired PPC arm, scraping armor off the head.

Round 10:
Spoiler:
Cylus jumps northeast, firing lasers at a Vedette as the Grasshopper arcs by, melting the front armor off. The Dervish that Scrub pummeled gets up, but is immediately knocked down again by weapons fire. She follows up with a curb stomp, crushing the mech's right torso section.

Xwraith continues engaging the Buster from last turn, taking its right leg off with laser fire and a boot. The left arm comes off as it hits the ground. The driver has had enough and powers down, climbing out shortly. Although, to be fair, the powering down may not have been voluntary.

Round 11:
Spoiler:
Cylus finishes off the limping Carbine with a spare LRM salvo, coring out the engine, then disables a nearby Vedette with laser fire. The Kintaro continues pummeling away at Scrub's Warhammer, stripping off armor with its massive SRM racks, but two can play at that game. Scrub makes a pair of pin point accurate shots to the head with medium lasers, then the SRM salvo cracks open the cockpit, taking the Kintaro out of action. She also takes a second to stomp on a nearby Vedette, cracking its turret to make it combat ineffective.

Round 12:
Spoiler:
Xwraith and Hyena redouble their efforts to disable the last cargo vehicle (that hasn't gotten away).

To the south, Cylus and Scrub focus fire on the remaining Blackjack, with the 40-ton mech winding up on the ground after taking several PPCs, laser and SRMs. Along with a boot.

Round 13:
Spoiler:
Hyena blows away an LRM Carrier with an AC/10, popping up as the vehicle gets a little too close and shredding it.

Scrub fires at the damaged Valkyrie as it hits Cylus with a laser blast. One of the PPC shots goes wide, but the other hits the almost-empty LRM ammo bin. Not empty enough, however. Cylus, meanwhile, is busy cutting the leg off the Blackjack. That leaves the southern half of the battlefield secure.

Round 14:
Spoiler:
Hyena destroys the second LRM Carrier, so he can now get up and deal with the Wyvern that's been blasting away at him from the left. Xwraith stomps the remaining cargo carrying vehicle.

Cylus and Scrub give the Blackjack a few parting shots as they leave, but that mech isn't going anywhere with a missing leg.

The remaining hostile units that are still mobile, having no reason to stick around, leave. Xwraith and Hyena aren't really able to pursue, while Scrub and Cylus are too far away. The Davion militia units have been destroyed, so they're not going to be any help (not that they would have been anyway, being nominally hostile).

We managed to actually recover only one "Fox's Breath" briefcase - the rest were either annihilated in engine/ammo explosions, crushed (the computer in Xwraith's battlemech is insistent that the cockpit remain sealed "due to biochemical contaminants") or gotten away.

Our salvage crews have to wear full NBC gear as they load the loot onto flatbed trucks. We also capture several of the hostile mechwarriors and vehicle crews - mostly from the south flank of the battlefield. The ones to the north either managed to escape or are dead - either from direct weapons fire or after having been exposed to whatever gas was released when Xwraith crunched that last truck. We'll interrogate the prisoners and examine the briefcase when we bring them back to our dropships. Somewhere well-clear of our dropships, in an inflatable, sealed dome, for the briefcase. And we'll probably want to keep the liaison from seeing the briefcase, as well.

The civilians from the nearby town have the sense to stay away, but they're at risk of stray wind blowing a cloud of who-the-hell-knows-what into their town. Scrub thinks about some options on how to handle this:

1) Get on the loudspeakers and try to convince the residents to evacuate ("no, morons, to the south"), and see if we can get someone in town to call the Davion militia in so they can handle this. Supervise the evacuation. This will probably prevent Gamma-One from getting to Beta-One in time to make a difference.

2) Screw it - not our problem. Grab the loot, prisoners and the briefcase, then move to help Beta-One.

Beta-One reports that they'll be facing three lances of heavy mechs, plus a couple of heavy tank lances, so they'll have their hands full. Granted, they're guarding an Intruder-class dropship, which is bristling with guns, and have a mixed tank/mech assault lance for backup, but still. Gamma-One's status is yellow - Scrub and Cylus have a small amount of armor left, Xwraith is mostly in the yellow and Hyena is in the green. Ammo expenditure is about 50%.
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

While warning the civilians is important, Beta-1 is our people. We already lost Beta-2, I say we grab and dash. Dropship or not, that's a lot of heavy metal they're facing.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Not our problem but I don't see how you can abandon them. Give them NBC suits?

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Greater good. We risk losing our chance to save more people the longer that case stays out in the open. Need to get it back asap.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
xwraith

Post by xwraith »

Probably time to transmit on the local guard frequency that there is chemical contamination and evacuation is required. Might be quicker then shouting. Either that or detach one of us to do the shouting while the rest go reinforce. Or perhaps we could call in some air support that could try and alert somebody?
I forgot to call it "a box of pure malevolent evil, a purveyor of
insidious insanity, an eldritch manifestation that would make Bill
Gates let out a low whistle of admiration," but it's all those, too.
-- David Gerard, Re: [Mediawiki-l] Wikitext grammar, 2010.08.06
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

xwraith wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 pm Probably time to transmit on the local guard frequency that there is chemical contamination and evacuation is required. Might be quicker then shouting. Either that or detach one of us to do the shouting while the rest go reinforce. Or perhaps we could call in some air support that could try and alert somebody?
Yeah, that seems about right. Seems like no skin off our backs to warn the local citizenry that there may be chemical contamination, and so they should GTFO if they can. But after that, bug out rather than supervise.
Black Lives Matter.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:32 pm
xwraith wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 pm Probably time to transmit on the local guard frequency that there is chemical contamination and evacuation is required. Might be quicker then shouting. Either that or detach one of us to do the shouting while the rest go reinforce. Or perhaps we could call in some air support that could try and alert somebody?
Yeah, that seems about right. Seems like no skin off our backs to warn the local citizenry that there may be chemical contamination, and so they should GTFO if they can. But after that, bug out rather than supervise.

Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I vote for option #1. It may not be our problem, but we also don't want to be vilified.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Split Gamma1? Leave Scrub and Cylus to evac people, send Hyena and XWraith to help Beta1 - leave the low armor people out of the fight and still take care of the people.

And notify local guard/whatever as the others have suggested (no reason Scrub and Cylus have to do it alone).

Or, maybe we send Cylus or Scrub home with the briefcase so we don't risk further issues, leaving just one of them to evac duty?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Zenn7 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:00 pm Split Gamma1? Leave Scrub and Cylus to evac people, send Hyena and XWraith to help Beta1 - leave the low armor people out of the fight and still take care of the people.
I vote for this.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Just when an airship balloon brigade would come in handy!!!

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

#2 the team over civilians
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hyena wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 pm Just when an airship balloon brigade would come in handy!!!
I've been pushing for a balloon brigade for months. Now who's laughing??
Black Lives Matter.
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:36 pm
Hyena wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:27 pm Just when an airship balloon brigade would come in handy!!!
I've been pushing for a balloon brigade for months. Now who's laughing??
Muhahahahhahahahha .... me.