concerts....who you seeing?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

Re: concerts....who you seeing?

Post by hitbyambulance »

Napalm Death is the must-see in that list for me. funny to see them playing a flippin cruise liner, tho
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Another year of 70K is in the books. Although the lineup was probably my least favorite of the 4 times, I actually had the most fun. Part of that was because I didn’t really drink until the last day, so I wasn’t fighting off a hangover the entire time (I don’t drink much, so the hangovers are a bitch). Plus, we actually just took it easy this year and I only got in a couple of mosh pits. We took in most of the shows from the “old guy” seats up in the balconies.

We saw the following (a bunch of them twice):

Accept
Arkona
Bloodbath
Blood Red Throne
Bodyfarm
Carnation
Chontaraz
Dark Funeral
Delain
Dragony
Eluveitie
Ensiferum
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Gloryhammer
God Dethroned
Heidevolk
In Vain
Krisiun
Mor Principium Est
Napalm Death
Ne Obliviscaris
Nekrogoblikon
Obituary
Persefone
RAGE and the Lingua Morris Orchestra
Sodom
Soulfly
Subway to Sally
Svartsot
Tiamat
Twilight Force
Tyr
Unleash the Archers
Van Canto
Visions of Atlantis
Vomitory
Warbringer

Best show, by far, was Fleshgod Apocalypse. They absolutely blew the roof off their second set that closed out the cruise last night. Somewhere, there’s video of me leading the wall of death in a Chewbacca suit. It was fucking epic.

Now to try and get a little sleep before heading back into the real world...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Nice list!

Is Udo still the singer for Accept?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Does Alessandro Conti of Twilight Force give people tattoos on board in his downtime?
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Z-Corn wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:20 pm Nice list!

No, but the new guy was really good.
pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:41 pm Does Alessandro Conti of Twilight Force give people tattoos on board in his downtime?
Their first set conflicted with Fleshgod’s, so I had to catch them at their “fuck you o’clock” (5:15am) set. Maybe it was just the ridiculous time slot, but I didn’t think he was nearly as good as the previous singer. I got video of “Flight of the Sapphire Dragon” though, which is going to make my 9 year old’s year. :lol:

We ended up partying with the dudes from Svartsot and Blood Red Throne during the Super Bowl, which was awesome. Just walking around the boat, we met members of Mayan, Kamelot, Delain (whose singer is honestly one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met), Fleshgod, Gloryhammer, NeO, and Tyr.

This year was more power metal than I usually do, but my buddy was on a mission to catch every band on the boat. He almost made it too as he saw 55 out of 60, although a bunch were only for 3-4 songs. I, on the other hand, decided to actually get some occasional sleep.

Worst set was Visions of Atlantis. Might be the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard, I only made it through 4 songs before laughing and walking out.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm

pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:41 pm Does Alessandro Conti of Twilight Force give people tattoos on board in his downtime?
Their first set conflicted with Fleshgod’s, so I had to catch them at their “fuck you o’clock” (5:15am) set. Maybe it was just the ridiculous time slot, but I didn’t think he was nearly as good as the previous singer. I got video of “Flight of the Sapphire Dragon” though, which is going to make my 9 year old’s year. :lol:

We ended up partying with the dudes from Svartsot and Blood Red Throne during the Super Bowl, which was awesome. Just walking around the boat, we met members of Mayan, Kamelot, Delain (whose singer is honestly one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met), Fleshgod, Gloryhammer, NeO, and Tyr.

This year was more power metal than I usually do, but my buddy was on a mission to catch every band on the boat. He almost made it too as he saw 55 out of 60, although a bunch were only for 3-4 songs. I, on the other hand, decided to actually get some occasional sleep.

Worst set was Visions of Atlantis. Might be the cheesiest thing I’ve ever heard, I only made it through 4 songs before laughing and walking out.
I've heard Conti on a couple of albums. He sounds great in the studio but I always had a hard time understanding his lyrics half the time. Is that the case for him live?

Also, being late to seeing your original list, but I was going to tell you that you missed a smoking hot lead singer if you missed seeing Delain. I saw her live last year with Kamelot, and holy shit she's gorgeous.
Hodor.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm

I saw them open for Dio on the Sacred Heart tour...so not since '86 maybe?

I missed Napalm Death once because even though we had tix to see them at a MAYBE 200 person venue when my buddy came home from college for the show the girlfriend he brought only had sandals to wear. Nope, not gonna be responsible for taking you to ER tonight chick.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:12 pm
I've heard Conti on a couple of albums. He sounds great in the studio but I always had a hard time understanding his lyrics half the time. Is that the case for him live?
Yeah, he was a little tough to understand in the songs, and his crowd banter in between was a mess. No one had the slightest clue what he was saying. The sound on that set was really bad to begin with though, and combined with the ridiculous start time, I’m sure it wasn’t their best effort.

Biggest surprise was Carnation, a death metal band from Belgium. They were absolutely amazing, and probably the loudest band on the boat. Reminded me a lot of Entombed or Edge of Sanity (“Spectral Sorrows” era).
Z-Corn wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:38 pm I missed Napalm Death once because even though we had tix to see them at a MAYBE 200 person venue when my buddy came home from college for the show the girlfriend he brought only had sandals to wear. Nope, not gonna be responsible for taking you to ER tonight chick.
While Barney is kinda interesting to watch, their music does nothing for me at all. I only caught about half their set before wandering off to something else.

As Barney was going on an extended rant about how awful war was and how everyone on the planet should just learn to peacefully co-exist, by buddy leaned over and said “so...where does the death by napalm fit into that?”. I lol’d.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

“ I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, sir.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For you younger folks, maybe you can handle the Unheavenly Skye Tour, but sadly I don't think I could. I really wish Coheed and Cambria was touring solo. I like older Mastodon stuff, I just don't think I could handle a protracted show. Unless they have seating for old people. Then...maybe.
Coheed and Cambria and Mastodon have teamed up for the Unheavenly Skye Tour, a 26-city outing that will see the bands perform in large theaters and outdoor amphitheaters this summer. Additionally, Mastodon will play their 2009 album, Crack the Skye in full on the dates.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 pm For you younger folks, maybe you can handle the Unheavenly Skye Tour, but sadly I don't think I could. I really wish Coheed and Cambria was touring solo. I like older Mastodon stuff, I just don't think I could handle a protracted show. Unless they have seating for old people. Then...maybe.
Coheed and Cambria and Mastodon have teamed up for the Unheavenly Skye Tour, a 26-city outing that will see the bands perform in large theaters and outdoor amphitheaters this summer. Additionally, Mastodon will play their 2009 album, Crack the Skye in full on the dates.
Seattle (actually, Redmond) show is at Marymoor Park, which will assuredly have plenty of seating for yall creaky geezers.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Bought that. Thanks. Kind of an odd queue I have now...Coheed/Mastodon, Weird Al again, Mark Knopfler again.
I have but one advocate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a buddy that has expressed interest in attending. It's a random Tuesday night show here in NJ (in June) at a beach location, so...maybe. I'm still not big on mixed shows with two (or more) major headliners. I always feel like they end up playing much shorter sets. If Mastodon was playing Leviathan, it would be a no-brainer for me here, but I'm just not into hearing Crack the Skye. However, I don't know when I'll ever get to see CoCa and they're on the bucket list - and this most current album has been in constant circulation for me since last year when it came out. Ugh, too much going on...

EDIT: Holy crap, Leviathan is 15 years old??!!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

We just got 6th row Weird Al tickets for August, including a meet and greet and a page of the sheet music from the orchestra (!). Pretty stoked. Haven't gotten to see him in concert before and this tour looks like it's going to be as over the top as he can make it.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

He has done three completely different tours really close together. The one before last was full-blown costumes, screen, off-stage antics. The last one was stripped down, all originals, seated, no costumes, with comedy opener by Emo Philips. This one will be a wild rebound from that one, but I want the extent of costumes, etc. to be a surprise. Parodies of course, but I don't know what to expect with the orchestra. No spoilers!
I have but one advocate.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Crack the Skye in its entirety would be amazing. I saw Queensryche do Mindcrime in its entirety and it blew me away. Crack the Skye is made for that type of performance too. That was the best album I've bought in a decade.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Behemoth is coming to SLC with Gojira in August. YESSSSSSSS!! :dance:

It’s at my least favorite venue in the state. Yay...? :?

They’re both opening for...Slipknot. Oh no. :(
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Look on the bright side. You can beat the traffic home.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Not seeing is but this was interesting:

Morrissey, the British singer-songwriter whose baritone voice has become part of the cultural fabric, will come to Broadway.

The former frontman of The Smiths will play Lunt-Fontanne Theatre in residency May 2–11 in conjunction with the release of his latest album, a collection of '60s and '70s covers titled California Son, set to drop May 24 through Étienne Records/BMG.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:Behemoth is coming to SLC with Gojira in August. YESSSSSSSS!! :dance:

That's a nice lineup but I really loath arena shows.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Happy to be seeing Samantha Fish again this weekend but I really came by to ask ZCorn what a Lyft costs from Hamtramck to Grand Rapids?

SuperSuckers are at Small's on St Paddy's Day. Now, St Paddy's Day is no Hamtramack on fat Tuesday, but it still is the second biggest amateur's bar night of the year.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm Happy to be seeing Samantha Fish again this weekend but I really came by to ask ZCorn what a Lyft costs from Hamtramck to Grand Rapids?

SuperSuckers are at Small's on St Paddy's Day. Now, St Paddy's Day is no Hamtramack on fat Tuesday, but it still is the second biggest amateur's bar night of the year.
What are you saying, you want to come to GR to see them with us on Friday night instead!? We've got a spare room and pills and booze and open-toed shoes!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

saw The Chills Saturday night. Martin apologized for not touring in the US for the past 26 years (the only reason they were here anyways was for SXSW)
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Xmann wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 pm
Skinypupy wrote:Behemoth is coming to SLC with Gojira in August. YESSSSSSSS!! :dance:

We decided to skip after seeing the cheapest tickets were $58 each.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:14 pm
LordMortis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:51 pm Happy to be seeing Samantha Fish again this weekend but I really came by to ask ZCorn what a Lyft costs from Hamtramck to Grand Rapids?

What are you saying, you want to come to GR to see them with us on Friday night instead!? We've got a spare room and pills and booze and open-toed shoes!
In a different lifetime. Going out to a show on Saturday that is maybe six miles from my house is already pushing the limits for me nowadays.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Skinypupy wrote:
Xmann wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:23 pm

We decided to skip after seeing the cheapest tickets were $58 each.
Would have loved to have seen this at Red Rocks
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Gloryhammer is headlining a U.S. tour with Aether Realm this June for the release of their new album. They were amazing when I saw them with Alestorm last fall, I can't wait!

I'd love to see Gojira.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sudy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm Gloryhammer is headlining a U.S. tour with Aether Realm this June for the release of their new album. They were amazing when I saw them with Alestorm last fall, I can't wait!

I'd love to see Gojira.
I'd check out Gloryhammer if they were coming anywhere near me, but a stop in the DC area isn't in the cards for them.
Hodor.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:29 pm
Sudy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm Gloryhammer is headlining a U.S. tour with Aether Realm this June for the release of their new album. They were amazing when I saw them with Alestorm last fall, I can't wait!

I'd love to see Gojira.
I'd check out Gloryhammer if they were coming anywhere near me, but a stop in the DC area isn't in the cards for them.
I love both bands (Aether Realm's "Tarot" is an absolutely brilliant album) and may need to try and set up a trip to Denver in June to hit this show.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Guilty pleasure: Black Stone Cherry
I have but one advocate.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Had tickets to Y&T tonight, a band I've always wanted to see, but a last minute call to watch the Grandkids took priority.
Hopefully next time.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pulled my back and broke a toe the day of Sam Fish. Get to the venue and they're milking the cash cow. Ticket prices went up $15 since the last time she played (same tour, same music set, no change in her appeal), they packed even more people in to this version of their sold out show and they raised the price of beer, which I was using to self medicate for the evening and needing especially bad for my foot which was cramped like I was sitting in cattle seating at the ballpark (but at least I was sitting. If I had to stand, I would have cancelled)

Still, she was fantastic.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

~$100 for two tickets to see AJR at The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory.

It's in October, and Wiki assures me that they finished building in late 2017.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

what's an AJR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just saw Muse tonight. I have a few older Muse songs in my rotation that I play for the kids. Tonight I was at the Circuit of the Americas to see some car racing thanks to a friend giving me two tickets and I took my 9yo son. Muse was playing afterwards and we stuck around. I was really excited to see a concert with just me and my son. Muse came on and they have a really good stage show. Unfortunately I just can't get into Matt Bellamy's guitar work. He loves to just crank out weird noises that are somewhat unpleasant to me. Wolstenholme and Howard were damn solid on bass and drums respectively, but the guitar was hard to ignore. Not my cup of tea. Less artsy, more fartsy. After an hour my son was ready to leave and I couldn't blame him.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:29 pm
Y'know, I've heard that song about 20,000 times on Kids Bop (and the Wonder Twins 5.10 sing it constantly), but I'd never heard the original.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Do they march with every stranger on Twitter to get shit done?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Somehow some (apparently rich) person in British Columbia accidentally gave Ticketmaster my email address, so I've been getting all of the ticket notifications. They've seen some amazing A-list acts so far up front. Latest will be Paul McCartney in July, front section.

I don't know who you are person with a ton of disposable income, but I salute your musical tastes and willingness to pay insane amounts of money for concert tickets.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m a little bit leery of this being an April Fools joke, but I saw announcement this morning that Ghost will be touring the US again this fall. The venue is showing it as well, so if it’s a joke, it’s an awfully elaborate one.

Sept 28 in Salt Lake. SO damn excited. :horse: