Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Paingod

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Paingod »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:56 pmonly buy them if I think they'll be better than the ones I play all the time, not just "it looks good"
I buy games based on the theory that I'll eventually be in the mood to play them, and when I am, it'll be nice to have something new for that mood.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And that's why I own around 500 games.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have 1195 games on Steam, according to my library, and that's NOT counting any unredeemed keys I have on various sources (Humble, Fanatical, etc.)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Seems my cheap Logitech headset has developed a crack at the joint and may not be long of this world. *sigh* OTOH, I did order a microphone from Massdrop which can be attached to any regular headphone, and I have just the candidate for that.

Continued to play Dirt 4, has managed to win the full championship (2 rallies of 4 stages each). Being the 3rd podium finish in International R-2, that gave me access to International R-1. I've also upgraded my R&D to "level B", which gives me access to B-level parts, and allow me to stay competitive. My main problem is consistency. I am not always fast. OTOH, I managed to win the full rally despite winning only one stage, by consistently finishing in the top 3.

Just bought an RX1600 car, may try Rallycross next. I generally buy "used"

------

Abandoning Truck mechanic 2015. Ran into a bug where I replaced the part, but the game doesn't acknowledge it. I guess I can 'reset' the scenario and see if that helps, but I decided I already know enough about the game the rest is no challenge except parsing bad localization attempt.

-----

Still playing a bit of 911 Operator. It's still pretty neat as it uses OpenStreetMaps for accurate maps of the cities and such. I am pretty sure the police, fire, and hospitals are NOT at their right places though. :-P

-----

Tried WRC7 for a little bit. I like it where they give you a "driving test" to determine what difficulty level to set you at. That's a neat way to do things.

It obviously has the WRC cars, but also the WRC2, junior WRC, and the various bonus cars, and all the official stages. Dang, some of those stages are HARD! The Mexico one killed me multiple times (slid off the track and rolled down the hill). The key seems to be only make SMALL steering changes. Hard steering changes breaks loose the tail and I ended up spinning the car.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Played and finished "Deus Ex: The Fall", kinda side chapter of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, featuring Ben Saxon, instead of Adam Jensen. As I finished it in a few hours, and I'm not a speed runner, the game is quite short, and I died multiple times trying different strategies. But it's fun, as I usually tend to play gun-ninja... Sneak up on someone, takedown, then start going full guns on all the survivors. I basically depopulated the area of all gangs and mercs, and even hotel guards, usually with pistol headshots. Robots I can nuke with explosive mines and if really needed, EMP grenade (saved it for the big guy at the very end). Turrets I can bypass.

I know it's an old game, but I haven't played it. I may have played a little of it on mobile. However, the game is also buggy. I can't scroll in the hacking minigame and that makes some hacks impossible. Sometimes the game won't let you pick up more than one upgrades, or even pick up ANYTHING unless you're NOT right up next to the item. And when Eidos took out the update server, it also made the game freeze upon loading as it still tries to download updates. It'll eventually timeout, but it still sucks.

-----

Tried to play an old game: Act of War: Direct Action. I know it's kinda of a tie-in with the Dale Brown novels. But the command interface just leaves me cold. Edge scrolling only, no WASD scrolling or rotating the camera. I like the way you're NOT supposed to rush, but go from house to house, digging bad guys out, but the way casualties rack up is just too fast and too furious. And when you're on the initial maps with NO replacements, it's a PITA to die and start over. Quit!

-----

Played a bit of Frontier Pilot. Managed to upgrade to the bigger craft, then took on a mission that I shouldn't have... Fly to a platform that's too far away for my craft, even in plane mode. Hahahaha. Ran out of juice about 10K away from the destination. Hahaha. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I still have DE Mankind Divided installed. I tried twice and failed then I think it was last year I reinstalled and was doing good in it but stepped away. Planned to return. Now though since my wife died all Ive done is play some Apex Legends. Im not sure Ill ever do anything else again. But I leave it installed since its one of about 4 I was playing off and on when she was here with me. I will get back to it one day I keep thinking...but may never .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I loved everything about Mankind Divided. Was a really great sequel, and you could tell the development team had a great respect for the original team and original game. The backstory sprinkled throughout via computers was some of the best I'd ever seen and had given it a feel of a well-developed hard sci-fi novel.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like I was playing it later in the last year than I thought...my last post was in Aug 2018.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Replaying and finished Sniper Elite V2. Trying trying the DLCs when it froze up on me, right after I completed all three objectives (planting explosives). F*** me. And there doesn't seem to be any save checkpoints in the DLC. Save it till tomorrow or next weekend.

-----

Edit: WTF... Same random freeze problem is now affecting Sniper Elite 3. It had to be one of the Windows Update that was installed today. I already uninstalled the one that's known to cause problems, but at this rate, I have to undo ALL of them to play the darn game.

-----

WTF... EVERYTHING is crashing. I can't even start Deus Ex: Human Revolution. After the initial cutscene, I'm supposed to follow Reed, then my controls froze up. ARGH!!!!! And Vermintide is freezing on character selection screen. WTF...

-----

It may be the new drivers. I've been told to use the "borderless window" or outright windowed mode may resolve the issue.
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Video card issue maybe?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Only received it for a month. I am rolling back the video card drivers to a week ago. That *should* fix the issue.

EDIT: Still not fixing the issue. Randomly, the game's video freezes, but the game continues in the background. I can hear the audio, and if I hit escape and move the mouse, i can hear it tapping the various menu choices. ARGH!

EDIT2: Not even windowed mode will cure the problems. WTF?

EDIT3: I think it's the 4xx or 8xx supersampling that's crashing my game. I turned that off and Sniper Elite 3 is running fine now. Previously, it crashes right about when I take my second shot.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, it does sound like a video issue. How old is the card?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does Gearbox's website remind anyone of a possible Borderlands 3?

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/2019/03/%F0%9F%91%80/

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's clearly cel-shaded and the terrain looks exactly like Pandora.

Fingers crossed.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Could just as easily be an Interstate sequel. 8-)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Randy Pitchford has been teasing Borderlands 3 on Twitter for a while now. I guess we can expect real news at PAX East. Maybe.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Don't know if this game's been mentioned before, but I came across Disco Elysium a few months ago while reading an article on it. It comes out later this year and it seems like the coolest thing and it may be the closest we'd get to another Planescape Torment. Basically you play a cop in an urban world trying to chase down leads and revolves more around conversations than combat.

http://zaumstudio.com/
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:11 pm Yeah, it does sound like a video issue. How old is the card?
Brand new. It's an RTX 2070.

EDIT: I've rolled back the windows patch to pre 1809 (the patch that caused problems back in October 2018), and I've rolled back the NVIDIA drivers to 1 version before the latest. I've also disabled any supersampling. I've played through a full session of Sniper Elite 3 and it never crashed once. So I think that's solved for now. I haven't went back to Sniper Elite V2 though. I'll have to try the other games later.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Windows 7 to get 'some' DirectX 12 support.

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/198307/wind ... 12-support
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another tease from gearbox.....

Time to tease another game for PAX!
Enlarge Image
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Still going through Sniper Elite 3. Just got the informant out of the prison. I *did* kill the officer, but I guess I failed the objective because I raised an alarm (once). Managed to find a generator to create some noise, and used that to kill most people outside. Got discovered while strolling around inside. Was just too aggressive, but managed to break contact, find the informant, setup the sniper nest, and kill people in the courtyard.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:27 am Another tease from gearbox.....

Time to tease another game for PAX!
Enlarge Image
Battleborn Royale?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Next tease

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Maya, the bad ass with a great ass.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Dang, I miss my Amazon Prime and Gamer's Club Unlocked discount on pre-ordered games. :(
-mf
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Apparently the game's just flaky (Sniper Elite 3). Sometimes the game runs fine. Other times it freezes at random, screen stops updating altogether.
Finally finished, virtually depopulated the entire Ratte plant. I am kinda surprised I didn't see all the secondary objectives, missed quite a few of them.

EDIT: Still playing through. Got a ricochet kill shot today, which is weird. The shot killed one guy, bounced off the floor, and killed another guy (gut shot? testicle shot? I dunno). And yes, this game rewards you if you make a testicle shot.

Replaying through the missions. Missed the secondary objective (knife 8 folks in the back) in the first mission. Hahaha.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I know we already had this discussion, but it amazes me that Steam has to ask for my birthday to let me view the game page for a game I own.
I have but one advocate.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

JetFred wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:58 pm I know we already had this discussion, but it amazes me that Steam has to ask for my birthday to let me view the game page for a game I own.
Isgrim has the solution for this I think. I certainly can't recall what it is.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enhanced Steam browser plugin works for the website. I am not aware of a UI solution.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:52 pm Enhanced Steam browser plugin works for the website. I am not aware of a UI solution.
Ah, my bad. I thought there was something in the settings that you mentioned.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nope
Q: Why do you KEEP asking my damn age throughout the store?

We’re with you on this. Unfortunately, many rating agencies have rules that stipulate that we cannot save your age for longer than a single browsing session. It’s frustrating, but know we’re filling out those age gates too.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Right, but I'm fairly sure at some point it asked me if I wanted it to keep asking me, and I said no. I just tested it on Grand Theft Auto V and it went directly to the page with no age gate. Maybe it only asks the first time you open the store page for a specific game?

Tried searching the net for age restricted games on steam. It was surprisingly more difficult than I expected, but Mutiny!! seems to fit the bill. I searched for it, clicked the link and it took me right to the page without an age gate.

Not sure what's going on, what changed or why it works this way for me now. :?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, enhanced steam extension will bypass age gates automatically, last I checked.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm using the steam client, for what it's worth.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

FWIW, I specifically meant that surely buying the game should give me permission to view the page, but apparently not.
I have but one advocate.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'd wondered if maybe they had a changed policy on that, because I can remember when I'd only have to enter it once in a blue moon. Now though, I'm being asked to enter it every single time, sometimes even for the same game. I kind of wish they'd make the age as part of the profile but only visible to the store for that purpose.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

JetFred wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:43 pm FWIW, I specifically meant that surely buying the game should give me permission to view the page, but apparently not.
Yeah, I understood that. Of course the owner of an account that owns a game should be allowed to see the store page for that game.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

It's been one of those days when I felt like pointing out how stupid something is, and then when someone replies, I say, "No, I don't think you really understand how stupid it is." Even if you do. One of those days.
I have but one advocate.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I finally figured out how to reset my graphics settings in Sniper Elite V2... It's hidden in /users/username/AppData/Local/SniperV2 which is hidden by default. The game was crashing (screen frozen) before it finishes loading the main menu. Finally got it running again (went into settings.ini and edited stuff manually) but the game still froze about 5 minutes in. WTF?!?!?! I wasn't even shooting, just walking around! F*** Uninstalling.

Next on the agenda... Playing the Sniper Elite 3 DLCs. And give Watchdogs (1) a try.