PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:40 pm Install is under 7 gigs. :ninja:
I see the patch tonight is 12 gigs. That's not a small patch.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LOL ya it was a 7 hour patch. Thunderball wanted to play and I reminded him that Tuesday is patch day. He was a sad panda. Won 3 matches of Apex playing with randos... Woo
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Can't help but notice there are flare guns in choco's videos.

What's the deal?
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 pm Can't help but notice there are flare guns in choco's videos.

What's the deal?
They added flare guns into the last patch.
Flare guns do not work at all until the first blue circle has closed.
Flare guns used outside the present white circle provide an armored vehicle drop by plane.
Flare guns used within the present white circle provide a "special care package", unsure what kind of goodies.
Only the "care package" type of flare/drop is shown on the tactical map, so everyone knows where it is. So, basically another care package trap.

I wish it wasn't in the game, but maybe I'm just old. I admit to having used the armored vehicle twice last night with Pathfinder. Amusing to blow through bridge blockades since you are nigh invulnerable in that thing. Was half tempted to drive it to the very center of the circle and just sit in it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Looks like they hot fixed out the "can see but can't interact with loot" bug. Or at least they say they did.

edit: Didn't see the bug last night, so I guess it's fixed.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

choco plays Super Animal Royale

Check it out, for the novelty if nothing else.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This is for Frey. He asked me how they knew he was in the corner. The answer is in the link.

Frey casts a mighty big shadow
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 pm This is for Frey. He asked me how they knew he was in the corner. The answer is in the link.

Frey casts a mighty big shadow
Linky no worky?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, I'll fix it when I get a chance.

edit: Fixed. No idea where that youtube link came from. To the best of my knowledge I've never even visited that guy's channel. Anyway, original post contains a working link now.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Some day I shall be worthy of a shadow grand enough to clip through walls....
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cort, Doom, Frey and I picked up a squad dinner last night. I've often said that anyone I can beat in a duel sucks. That's all I'm gonna say on that. My lvl 3 body armor kept me alive long enough with just 5-10hp to kill a guy at close range. For me, it was a huge victory though, so I won't sully it any more than I have already done.

We started out in Severny and finished on the Military Island on the eastern forested hill (between the two bridges, closer to the eastern one) between the base and the channel. Something I notice when watching better players play is their circle management, and that's an area we could definitely improve upon. That said, it's easy to manage the circle when you can murder anyone you come across, which the great players can do. For me and/or us, we need to be more particular in our brazenness so we can't emulate those players exactly, imo. Still though, in this case we made our way from Severny to the Island never once being touched by the circle. More importantly though, we gave ourselves plenty of time to reach the next circle, and often were deep into the circle rather than hovering around the edge. Good freaking job guys.

Oh, and we took 4 boats to cross the channel, hopefully ensuring late comers were totally screwed when they reached the shore on the wrong side of the channel. 4 PT boat convoy ftw!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:32 pm Ok, I'll fix it when I get a chance.

edit: Fixed. No idea where that youtube link came from. To the best of my knowledge I've never even visited that guy's channel. Anyway, original post contains a working link now.
Dont have the game, but tried watching to see the gameplay. What time is the shadow in question?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

stimpy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:43 pm

Dont have the game, but tried watching to see the gameplay. What time is the shadow in question?
If you listen with audio on the streamer actually points it out. It's right when he's passing the corner of the wall. Frey is in the elbow of the 90 degree bend inside, and the streamer is outside the wall. As he runs by he looks at the ground and snickers (not unkindly though) when he sees Frey's shadow on the ground as if the wall doesn't exist. He then comments on it to his partner, who proceeds to peek the wall and vaporize Frey.

Exact moment
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 pm
stimpy wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:43 pm

If you listen with audio on the streamer actually points it out. It's right when he's passing the corner of the wall. Frey is in the elbow of the 90 degree bend inside, and the streamer is outside the wall. As he runs by he looks at the ground and snickers (not unkindly though) when he sees Frey's shadow on the ground as if the wall doesn't exist. He then comments on it to his partner, who proceeds to peek the wall and vaporize Frey.

Exact moment
Oh yeah....that some bs.......lol
He/Him/His/Porcupine
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wackyjacky put out a video on desync which I think does wonders to illustrate what it is and how it can affect your game. I think most people understand, at least in layman's terms, network latency. This video really brings home what kind of behaviour you can and will see in game (and in all multiplayer reflex based games). I do this sort of thing for a living (sorta) and it the video still helped me wrap my head around game behavior.

So it was useful for me. I'm posting it as a PSA. If it's not useful for you, just ignore it.

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Excellent video, but probably doesn't help people like me with increased latency. :(
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

OK, that's good info to know. So me standing at the tops of stairs and in windows aiming is useless to someone leaning in as they see me 1st. Well crap. That explains a lot.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Okay, so "Grandmaster" is anyone who can hide until they're in the last group of people for 70 matches - or anyone who plays a LOT and dies quick. Gotcha.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Cortilian wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:25 pm OK, that's good info to know. So me standing at the tops of stairs and in windows aiming is useless to someone leaning in as they see me 1st. Well crap. That explains a lot.
It does explain a lot and I swear this isn't a big thing in other online games. I guess it's the time to kill, but still it's really kind of annoying. I'm mostly retired from PUBG as of late. For whatever reason I found the game stresses me out WAY more than Apex. And I seem to be better at Apex for some reason. Probably because they aren't matchmaking would be my best guess. I had a 7 kill win yesterday. I felt like Chocotaco for 20 minutes. :lol: Still need to pull off a double digit kill count. I just never get there.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There are 40% less players in Apex and I see lots of players win in PUBG with less than double digits.

7 kills in Apex is very good. You killed more than 10% of the server yourself.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Last night in a non-descript game I was lining up a headshot and had just placed the reticle on the guy's helmet when I was shot in the head myself by another team from 300+m away.

And that's pubg.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I wish I didn’t hate losing so much as I do like the game, but damn it’s frustrating to loot for 15 minutes and die instantly.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:51 pm I wish I didn’t hate losing so much as I do like the game, but damn it’s frustrating to loot for 15 minutes and die instantly.
Two of our duo games last night were us chasing the circle for 15+ minutes then getting shot by an M24 on the edge of the blue and us looting for 15+ mins finding awesome loot only to be destroyed within seconds running up a hill near a compound by a guy using full auto while looking down his 3x scope. Our LoS angles were well protected and we were expecting resistance even though we hadn't seen or heard anything at that point.

It's just how pubg works.

If it helps, I too struggle with the soul crushing disappointment that pubg heaps onto players on a daily basis, even very strong players. It's my main problem with the game and it is a struggle, absolutely. I can handle getting outplayed. If I screw up, that's different, but being outplayed is actually great. It's the thousands of losses that were not my fault and not the guy who beat me's fault either that is just nuts.

It's like playing a 20-30 minute game that is decided on a coin toss, except you don't know when the coin toss is going to happen and all you can do is work to chip away at the percentages and do your best to be ready for it. Even the best players get absolutely vaporized on a regular basis, it's just that I get vaporized more than regularly.

I'm absolutely not saying the game is luck based. The skill ceiling on the game is so high I can't even see it from down where I play. That said, having things fall your way or your enemy's way can determine the outcome of 20-30 minutes of stressful play through no fault or lack of skill on your own. That's hard to swallow for anyone.

That said, we just got a squad win and Frey and I took down a 3 man team to do it in a 2v3 situation and killing the final guy was such sweetness that I wasn't disappointed by pubg again for almost an entire 24 hour period. :wink:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I often comment that only in PUBG can you outplay a couple of people, get a few kills, make it to the final 5, and leave the game feeling like a failure and utterly defeated. It's such a strange phenomenon.

I got 3 kills (2 for me is a good game) in a recent game and then died shortly afterward. I just got more kills in a game than I normally do and I was seriously unhappy about it. Love/Hate does not begin to describe my relationship with PUBG.

I wish I could shoot people. I'd feel less emotionally crushed all the time. Maybe.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Here's what happens when you try to use peeker's advantage and miss. Run it in slow motion to see how little I missed my first shot at his head (ignore the second shot :oops:) and how I'm back in cover when my head comes off anyway.

Peeker's advantage or no, don't peek the same angle twice!

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

First of all, I thought that first shot was a great attempt with just iron sights! Secondly, did i imagine it, or did you shot come off the left side of the barrel?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think that's just the flash and the position of my body/arms/rifle prevent you from seeing the most of it on the other sides. i.e. I think the flash is spherical but you can mostly see it from the left side of the barrel. You can see a smaller looking flash from the right side.

I mean, that's a guess. I have no idea.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cort, Frey, Pathfinder (not an OO'er) and I picked up another dinner last night. Some strong play in the final circles. Cort with multiple kills during the final minutes (including pushing and killing the last enemy) as well as dropping smokes on 2 different locations allowing he and I to rez Path and Frey bringing us back up to full strength as the competition heated up. Frey dropped a grenade on 2 behind a rock, killing them both. It was so busy that I'm sure I missed some action. Any one of these moments would have been praiseworthy and a reason to celebrate in another game. That they all came together in the same game and gave us a dinner was phenomenal.

I took a guy's head off with an M24 which was more than enough to make me happy even though he got rez'd. I had earlier in the evening taken a guy's head off in a duel with an SKS and a 2x so my mood was positively glowing compared to most evenings.

That we were all standing when the dinner arrived was glorious.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

(It was actually 2 different grenades at two different locations, in rapid succession)

(Agreed, that game was awesome)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Last night in Duos, Goo team-wiped both guys with a notoriously difficult-to-control Beryl. I didn't get to see the awesomeness because I was knocked, but I surely benefitted from it!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Freyland wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm Last night in Duos, Goo team-wiped both guys with a notoriously difficult-to-control Beryl. I didn't get to see the awesomeness because I was knocked, but I surely benefitted from it!
Hah.

a) The first guy was all beryl. I had very little to do with it. We were at close quarters and the gun is beast at that range. The gun was literally the hero on that one.
b) The second guy was decent (but not great!) recoil control and a well timed kick that put the red dot on his head. I'll take it. Actually, it was very good for me.
c) The most notable thing is that Frey was down and it was 2v1 against me. 1v1 is a crapshoot for me, so killing 2 back to back was a big deal, especially with Frey down but not out and a team wipe on the line.

Frey is acknowledging that, which I appreciate.

I was killed looking for one of the player crates (I was mobile, I wasn't standing still like a foo', nor was I out in the open). Someone came ahunting when they heard the commotion. After I died Frey killed the offender, somewhat ironically leaving Frey to play out the rest of the game alone.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The second guy was decent (but not great!) recoil control and a well timed kick that put the red dot on his head. I'll take it. Actually, it was very good for me.
I had that happen many times with that gun. It's such a beast to control that sometimes it flies up and then bam headshot. :lol:

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Tried to play this with Thunderball yesterday. Played two rounds and uninstalled. I just can't anymore. This game frustrates me so much and I'm having way more fun with Apex. Curious to see how the Battlefield one turns out. That could be fun since it has real weapons.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's the clunky movement and general "not a video game" aspects that I like about it, but that's also what makes it so frustrating.

Communities are prone to doom and gloom but I think real cracks are starting to form. There are still hundreds of thousands of players but I suspect there will be less than 100k players by x-mas this year.

The streamers are starting to talk more trash and many have abandoned it already. Even die hard streamers are showing signs of dissatisfaction.

I like Apex and think it's a good game. It's also completely different from PUBG. Playing Apex is like playing Unreal Tournament, battle royale edition. It's a triple A, high quality game for free. What's not to like?

I hadn't played an online FPS for years before PUBG. After PUBG I'll probably stop again. They really don't scratch any gaming itches I have. PUBG was different because it's methodical and dangerous and competitive in a way that isn't pure twitch. Even then I almost didn't try it except I was in a gaming funk at the time.

Single player FPS are different, but still not my favourite genre.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would say the reaction time needed in PUBG for aiming and shooting someone is worse than anything in Apex. Sure you are bouncing around like an idiot, but at least you generally won't get killed in a quarter of a second. (There are one or two guns that CAN do this, but they are crate guns)

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah! Just noticed a got a new achievement for the first time in months I think. Last night at 11:44pm I managed a First Blood. It's the first kill of the match.

I don't want to hear how you got it months or a year ago or whatever. It's a HUGE deal for me.

Huzzah!
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hah.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

March 17th 2018 I unlocked it. Sorry sorry sorry.... :lol: And Red top notch... Only the best people!

I only have 3 achievements that sadly likely will never be done at this point.

The First Rule is...
Kill 20 players with bare hands
I have 18 kills (I've never been into the punching thing. This is much easier to get if you play squads.)

Shoot the Knee
Kill 10 players with the crossbow
6 out of 10

Fury Road
Kill 10 players with a gun while in a vehicle
1 out of 10 (I just never shoot people from vehicles. Shrug)

Hours played last two weeks. 1.5 hours. When poor Thunderball tried to get me to play. /hangs pan on the wall and walks off with the pizza he ordered and won't share with the rest of the people.

Last edited by Octavious on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For the bare hands, just drop hot in popular areas and try to beat people to death before they get to the weapons. I think I got two in one fight on the military base island.
It's almost as if people are the problem.