Marvel's Netflix serieses

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stimpy

Re: Marvel's Netflix serieses

Post by stimpy »

I think it suffered from what most of the other series suffered from.
Trying to stretch it out to 13 or so episodes creates a lot of filler.

It's Punisher.
I want to see him punish.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Oof.

I'll say one thing for Punisher S2; it left me feeling relieved the Marvel-Netflix shows are now basically over and done with. Here's hoping Marvel comes to their senses and just does a full-length version of this instead:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm
hepcat wrote:I don’t think it’s horrible. But it isn’t must see tv. I do love the action grunt from Bernthal in every fight.
Unlike the hero of a recently canceled Marvel show, Bernthal does do a great job committing violence and mayhem.
I just started Punisher S1 and somewhere in one of the first episodes, I was like "wow, someone forgot to tell Shane he is killing humans now, not zombies."

I heard S2 was even more violent so I'm looking forward to it lol.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

hepcat wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:21 pm And then there were none.
I, for one, will not miss them. The execution of pretty much every series never lived up to their potential in my mind.
Some sporadic good moments mixed in amongst lots of unnecessary moments.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sadly, I feel the same way. Season 1 and season 3 of Daredevil and season1 of JJ and Luke Cage were the standouts. Other than that, it all felt pretty stale. I think the 13 episode commitment really hurt the stories though. They had to pad the narrative with way too much extraneous stuff that took away the impact of the main stories.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I liked all of the shows - even the much maligned Iron Fist. I even liked Defenders which noone else semed to. Aside from JJ season 2, I at least liked every other season.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, I should finally be able to get caught up now.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

JCC wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 pm I liked all of the shows - even the much maligned Iron Fist. I even liked Defenders which noone else semed to. Aside from JJ season 2, I at least liked every other season.
I agree. I got into every series. That was a lot of good TV packed into a few years.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

msteelers wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 am
JCC wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 pm I liked all of the shows - even the much maligned Iron Fist. I even liked Defenders which noone else semed to. Aside from JJ season 2, I at least liked every other season.
I agree. I got into every series. That was a lot of good TV packed into a few years.
Me too, love them for the most part. The only seasons I really didn't like were Iron Fist 1 (most agree on that) and Jessica Jones 2 (too much soap opera, not enough super powers). I will miss the shows.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was all ready to come in and say that I'll miss them all, too. Then I realized I haven't yet watched S3 of Daredevil. Or S2 of Iron Fist. Or S2 of Punisher.

So I guess Netflix knows me better than I know me.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

S3 of Daredevil is the best (with the exception of the Karen episode).
Covfefe!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, they're all on my list. Just overloaded by goodness lately. Ran through Sabrina, Ozark S2, Dragon Prince, Kim's Convenience, etc.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am I was all ready to come in and say that I'll miss them all, too. Then I realized I haven't yet watched S3 of Daredevil. Or S2 of Iron Fist. Or S2 of Punisher.

I just finished S2 of Luke Cage last night, so I am in the same place. I can't get excited about Iron Fist though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:23 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 am I was all ready to come in and say that I'll miss them all, too. Then I realized I haven't yet watched S3 of Daredevil. Or S2 of Iron Fist. Or S2 of Punisher.

I just finished S2 of Luke Cage last night, so I am in the same place. I can't get excited about Iron Fist though.
I'm nearly the same place. Though for me it's S3 DD, S2 Luke Cage, and S2 Punisher.

coop, for what it's worth, I thought S2 Iron Fist was excellent. Sooooooooooooo much better than S1.

Of course, I also didn't hate S2 JJ... so you may think that my opinion is suspect. I actually really liked the flashbacks and getting to see JJ has something other than a bitter drunk.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I also failed to hate S2 of JJ so we share that defect. I could def see *why* someone would hate it, but Jessica and I agree on way too many things for me to hate.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Punisher and Jessica Jones canceled. I thought The Punisher was super loved.

https://deadline.com/2019/02/the-punish ... 202535835/
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Netflix doesn’t love paying the Giant Mouse. Especially when they’re moving in on their turf.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I showed my wife that Thomas Jane Dirty Laundry video short just a few months ago. :( It is good. She was going to try and buy a Punisher shirt for me sometime.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Bernthal was great as Punisher. Actually, every single main character played their character exceptionally well. Except Finn. He was never good at either acting or martial arts. Despite that I still liked Iron Fist. I don't anticipate subscribing to Disney's streaming, though. Another thing that I assume will be pulled is any of the movie rights for Netflix. So likely no Avengers:Endgame next year.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:39 pm So likely no Avengers:Endgame next year.
I've already seen an article stating Captain Marvel is the first Marvel movie that will not be available on Netflix.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

(GreenGoo, Marshall Mathers is a rapper. This tweet is posted here as a joke about him offering up an opinion about the cancellation of The Punisher.)
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:lol:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
JCC

Post by JCC »

Finished - more like trudged through - season 2 of Punisher. While I thought it got off to a really good start - once they returned to New York it just trudged through to the finish. Another show succumbs to the Marvel second season slump. (A fate only the much maligned (not be me) Iron Fist managed to avoid.) I think the biggest issues with all of these Netflix Marvel shows is the seasons are 3-5 episodes too long and stuffed with filler.

Oh well, I hope JJ season 3 will cap off these shows with a bang and not with a whimper. Or, at the very least will exceed the horrifically awful season 2.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I guess I'm the oddball but I enjoyed Punisher S2 quite a bit. I had mixed feelings about Jon Berenthal coming from The Walking Dead, but he hooked me in S1 and I was sold. I hadn't really thought of him as sexy before in TWD (except that one ep where he's in the bathroom shaving his head) but he really did it for me in this series.

Now I did come to the party way late, and I watched S1 and S2 back to back so that might have something to do with it. I then went backwards and watched his intro in DD, which was a little disappointing but still good.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Nope. I thoroughly enjoyed Punisher season 2. I just finished it this weekend, but that’s because I went from being able to watch 1-2 hours of TV a night to watching 1-2 hours of TV a week.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It had its moments for me, but ultimately it suffered from the same thing the other shows did...too many damn episodes. They all just feel stretched and padded at some point.

I would've liked more with the Pilgrim, but I'm not sure I'm in the majority on that one. I just found him more interesting than Jigsaw/Billy.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I thought Jigsaw/Billy just sucked this season. He's the most whiny Marvel villain ever. Make him as crazy as you want, but his constant pissing and moaning was just exhausting. The other villain was much more interesting but kept getting shoved to the side in favor of Billy. I also felt like this season had no surprises after they returned to New York. Every turn in the plot I saw coming from miles away. And, for a lot of the season I found the Punisher to be unlikeable too. He was great in season one but I spent a lot of time in DD S2 and this season finding him annoying.
Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The end is in sight. Jessica Jones Season 3, 6/14/2019.

I guess I should get to Iron fist S2 and Daredevil S3, then I can cancel Netflix in a couple weeks... (or a few weeks I guess, Stranger Things 7/4, OITNB 7/26)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m 3 episodes in and I think Netflix made the right choice on more than a few of the Marvel shows. I get the feeling I may not even get through JJ season 3, it’s that damn boring.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I started the first episode of S2 of Luke Cage, and watching Alger Woodard chew on the scenery is off putting.
naednek

Post by naednek »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:31 pm I’m 3 episodes in and I think Netflix made the right choice on more than a few of the Marvel shows. I get the feeling I may not even get through JJ season 3, it’s that damn boring.
ya it's pretty bad. I enjoyed the first season. 2 was ok. But man this one just has no point.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 pm I started the first episode of S2 of Luke Cage, and watching Alger Woodard chew on the scenery is off putting.
I've made it through 3 episodes of Iron Fist S2. I thought this one was supposed to be better? So boring.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought both seasons of Iron Fist were boring.
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I watched about 20 minutes of the first episode of JJ Season 3, found it pretty boring, turned it off and haven’t felt the urge to go back. It’s a shame because season one of JJ was one of my favorite Netflix Marvel shows (maybe just behind season one of DD). I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, though; I thought season two was pretty bad.
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

naednek wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:10 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:31 pm I’m 3 episodes in and I think Netflix made the right choice on more than a few of the Marvel shows. I get the feeling I may not even get through JJ season 3, it’s that damn boring.
ya it's pretty bad. I enjoyed the first season. 2 was ok. But man this one just has no point.
Right there too - S1 yes, S2 okay, S3 Zzzzz… three episodes in and I'm not sure I care enough to A.K.A any more of it. :|
-mf
JCC

Post by JCC »

JJ #3 is... OK. The main plot is OK: the non-super villain starts out compellling but is quickly pushed to the background. The sub plots are totally superfluous and generally just get irritating since I couldn't care less about any of it. Every scene in the Matrix Lawyer arc made me want to slit my wrists. As the season goes on, it gets a bit more focused on the primary story to the betterment of the season. Still, the final Netflix Marvel season ends up being somewhere in the OK to decent range. I actually find it somewhat fitting for it to land in kind of the middle of the pack. I think I liked most of the Netflix Marvel shows more than most. But, the problem with all of them (well except Defenders which had other issues) is that they were just too long. They are all overly padded to more than twice the length they should be.

I have heard the Disney + Marvel shows will be shorter which is a very good starting point.

The most amusing thing about JJ#3 for me is it wasn't until this season that I realized Trish's mom is played by Rebecca De Mornay. (~!~!~!) I was laughing at my stupidity for not recognizing her.

So long Marvel Netflix shows! I will miss you all, but... not that badly....
Black Lives Matter

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'll miss watching Luke Cage becoming essentially the next crime lord of Harlem. And I was looking forward to following the wacky adventures of Danny and Ward.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I could probably go another couple of decades without the Trish character.

She eventually made Rosario Dawson’s character seem likeable.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 pmAnd I can find nothing to confirm that they are officially adopted by police or military units. At best, they're morale patches.
The most recent adoption by a police agency (that made the news and that I'm aware of) is here. Not surprisingly, once it went public they were ordered to remove it. You can read about the military's relationship with the Punisher here. It's also a logo that's seemingly been adopted by the Three Percenters as well, which is just gross.

As a fan of the comics, it's one of the reasons I wouldn't ever wear a shirt or hat with that logo - it's taken on a new meaning.
I'm glad the creator shared his thoughts recently in this interview, just ahead of S2 coming:
What are your thoughts on the Punisher symbol being co-opted by police or the military?

I've talked about this in other interviews. To me, it's disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the Justice system. He's supposed to indict the collapse of social moral authority and the reality some people can't depend on institutions like the police or the military to act in a just and capable way.

The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice sysytem, an eample of social failure, so when cops put Punisher skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher skull patches, they're basically sides with an enemy of the system. They are embracing an outlaw mentality. Whether you think the Punisher is justified or not, whether you admire his code of ethics, he is an outlaw. He is a criminal. Police should not be embracing a criminal as their symbol.

It goes without saying. In a way, it's as offensive as putting a Confederate flag on a government building. My point of view is, the Punisher is an anti-hero, someone we might root for while remembering he's also an outlaw and criminal. If an officer of the law, representing the justice system puts a criminal's symbol on his police car, or shares challenge coins honoring a criminal he or she is making a very ill-advised statement about their understanding of the law.
Not really a better place to put this, but I'm thankful to see the latest issue of the comic has a special message for police officers:

Maybe next year, maybe no go