Fallout 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: Fallout 4

Post by Kraken »

Maybe someone can answer me this: When you Store something in the workshop (rather than Scrap it), where does it go? The internet tells me it should appear as a small superscript number in the workshop's build menu, but my robot workbench is not there. As far as I can tell, it just evaporated, taking all of its stocked robot parts with it.

I don't actually want to build or mod robots, I only need it to move that quest forward...but unless I can figure out how to recover it, I'm going to have to spend a whole lot more resources to build a new one.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I don't have that DLC, so I can't speak to that.

But as for normal stuff (walls, floors, tables, etc), the internet is telling you correctly. When you go back into workshop mode and pull up the entry for the respective item, there will be a little number showing that you have some pre-built ones stored that you can use. I would think that a workbench should work the same way. But I don't recall if I ever tried storing a workbench.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I've hit a few bugs. I've hit a dead-ender with the Underground Railroad, but I don't think it's major. I finished their main quest and was doing some of their random dead-drops and must have screwed something up by clearing an area earlier before getting the quest, and now they won't acknowledge that it's cleared. As far as I know, that's a standard glitch in the engine, which is frustrating seeing as it's an open-world game which can be approached at any angle. The game appears inflexible at times and only wants things done certain ways.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was locked in some room at a medical place and trying to mix chemicals to get power armor. One of the main chemicals I had to mix was gold. A but turned it into NONE.
So here I was locked in a room with no way out. I had to turn to the web to find a console cheat to fix the problem. Otherewise it was reload the game to a previous game before entering the building.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

tcl, twf, tgm, coc, setstage, unlock, disable, tai - there's a reason I don't play Bethesda games on consoles. They're just too buggy, enough so that I have the console commands memorized at this point.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I thought the Unofficial Patch was supposed to fix the quest killers. I shudder to think how much worse they must be without it.

I'm not exactly sprinting for the end -- I've still got at least one DLC that hasn't been cracked yet and I'd like to level-up a bunch more -- but I'm no longer compelled to run down every side quest. There's still plenty of other ways to go when I hit a block. They still piss me off, though.

(Reminds me that I need to grab the Spring season mod. Fall and winter were beautiful, and it's almost March. I really should've put this game on my D: drive. :) )
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I tried doing a search here but couldn't find the latest list of recommended mods for FO4. I'm going to get the Season Pass before the sale ends tomorrow. Also, I plan on playing New CA.

This list looks like a good place to start.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The unofficial patch is the only mandatory one. I like the seasons, which want a ridiculous amount of disk space but really pretty-up the world. Full Dialog Interface shows you full dialog lines instead of vague summaries. Improved Map and VIsible Roads improves the maps and shows roads in the Pip Boy. Everyone's Best Friend lets you keep Dogmeat in addition to another companion.

Also, New CA is on the FO3/New Vegas engine.

I think I'm on the final quest of FO4's main storyline. I "failed" the penultimate one last night by choosing the wrong dialog and the game kind of rage-quit on me. The game marked it "failed" and followed up with...nothing. No new quests, no end-game sequence. It seemed like the main story just sputtered out. So I reloaded, chose the right dialog, and got another quest. Which I am going to start right now.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After Win 10 update deleted all my saved games I'm about ready to try again.
I wonder if I can play a loner without any affiliates.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

After not playing Fallout 4 for more than a year, I started it up a couple days ago to see if I could remember anything about it.

My save games say something like "mods used". I have no idea which mods I was using. I can't find any mods anywhere on my hard drive. Assuming I put them in the default location, where would they be? :?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Most would be in the Fallout 4/data folder, but it depends on the mod.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

What I thought was going to be the final mission actually just unlocked another story path, so I decided to visit some previously marked but unexplored locations before following the rails to the end. Not as close to finishing as I had thought. That's ok; I like the Wasteland and want to trash it out as thoroughly as I can. I'm at level 48 and would like to hit 50 before I'm done.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I won the Institute victory tonight, got the ending sequence, and then (to my surprise) reappeared in the game. Some aimless thrashing led to another side quest from a NPC. Is there any point to doing that, other than just to dink around and rack up more XP? I think the game's over, but I didn't get a clear Game Over vibe. The new quest marker is off the edge of the map, so maybe it's DLC that I haven't done yet? I don't really want to do a bunch of pointless little side missions just for the sake of doing them, but neither do I want to turn my back on a potential new storyline. Some googling implied that the game just kind of sputters out if keep playing after the ending video, but I couldn't find a good answer. I can't figure out if there's any reason to keep exploring the Wasteland or if it's time to call it quits and move on.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Wish I had an answer for you, but I never got that far. Anybody?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The story is over and the factions are done. The game goes on as long as you want it to, but is just side quests, settlements, exploration, that sort of thing.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I've finished the game 5 or 6 times and main quest is less than half the game. With the DLCs and such the game is almost endless.
Now when I play it I only finish the main quest when I get bored.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm going to fire it up one more time and see if that side quest leads to a whole new area, or just goes back to the Bar Harbor DLC. The marker is off the northern edge of the map. If it unlocks a lot of new content, I'll keep going, but if it's just a return to an area that I already trashed out pretty well I'm going to call it done.

I wanted to save the Diamond City Radio music to my hard drive, but Bethesda made that difficult. First one must decompile the main data file, then extract the music files to .WAVs, and then to .mp3, using three different tools. Not worth the effort for the half-dozen songs that I'd like to save. I already have the Galaxy News Network mp3s from FO3 and NV.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you use Spotify, there are playlists of all of the music already out there (save for the stuff by Lynda Carter, which was original to the game.) It isn't the same as having mp3s, but it lets you listen when after the game is gone.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

'76 isn't scratching the FO itch for me so need to get back to this. I forget how far I made it through the main story line but I had wandered up to Far Harbor and spent a bunch of time in the sub playing computer Tower Defense games, finally bailing in the middle of the fifth of them I think? Time to jump back in! 8-)
-mf
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

If nothing else, make sure you guys check out the Nuka World expansion. You're kind of forced to work with (or as I saw it: infiltrate) some raiders to follow the main quest there, but it's a very fun, lovingly designed area to explore.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I didn't like Nuka World's scavenger-hunt quests. I needed walkthroughs for two of them. Also, NW broke the Boston setting; there's nothing like Disneyworld in New England. Far Harbor, at least, is recognizably Bar Harbor, Maine, and it meshes well with the main storyline. NW's raider integration didn't affect me very much because I did the bare minimum settlement-building.

They're both good expansions, though.

Turned out that my post-game quest was just a one-off trip back to Far Harbor, so I finally decided I was finished last night. Might play again one day since I never got some major quests (like the one with the Constitution), and I'd like to play the endgame with a different faction. There's enough variety to make it replayable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been thinking of this game a lot lately. I played 300+ hours of it and finished it in 2016.

Then I remembered how easy everyone's head simply fell off in fights and I dont think about it as much. Is it that difficult to make a mod where the enemies dont fall apart so easy? :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm sure it is.

However, exploding heads has been associated with Fallout for as long as I can remember. Way back in F1/F2, I pretty much always went with handguns and better criticals so that I could shoot people in the eyes. When you shoot people in the eyes and get a critical, it often results in significant damage to the head. I still remember in F3, using bullet time to shoot a bandit in the school at the very beginning and having an eyeball fly past me in slow motion. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally got the super power suit from Nuka Cola world. I got all 35 of them damned star cores.
It's a Quantum X-01 Mk V.
It's great except it's late in the game and I've already modified one of my power armors to better than that. :?

You know, that if you're going to a major fight and you have time to prepare for it you can park multiple suits of power armor around the battlefield for when one gets low on armor.
Worked well for wiping out the raiders in Nuka Cola World and the Brotherhood if you decide to go with Institute.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Just built a cheat terminal.
Don't really have a use for it but I might experiment with it to see what in the hell it does.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:51 pm 2. A New Threat: I do several steps that lead up to building a robot workbench. The step after that is "Talk to Ada," a robot that is available to be a companion (although I didn't take him). When I try to talk to Ada, he says "If you're here you must have built the workbench." The expected dialog tree never appears. I've tried stocking the workbench with parts, going away/coming back, etc., but Ada never goes past that greeting. I could not find this bug addressed online. Maybe I'll kill Ada. :twisted:
Anyone find an answer to this one? Google doesn't help except for people telling me to uninstall all the mods one at a time and see if it fixes the problem and/or uninstall the DLC and try installing again.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It has been way too long, but for most Bethesda games, the answer to 'bug on quest' is to use the console to set the quest to the next stage.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I remember a couple of games ago I had some problems being able to mod Ada so I ended up building another robot workbench and then I was able to carry on.
I'm not sure I had a bug or just didn't know what I was doing tho.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I disabled all the mods, completed Ada's radio beacon upgrade, and then enabled all the mods again. It seems to be working as I was given the next mission. I was too lazy to disable one mod at a time to see which was causing the conflict.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:10 am I disabled all the mods, completed Ada's radio beacon upgrade, and then enabled all the mods again. It seems to be working as I was given the next mission. I was too lazy to disable one mod at a time to see which was causing the conflict.
I wish I'd thought to try that. When I hit an unavoidable fatal crash in the Nuka Cola DLC, it turned out to be the seasons mod. Somebody somewhere had documented that so it was a 5-second fix. But by then I'd left Ada behind long ago and forgotten about it.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:33 am If nothing else, make sure you guys check out the Nuka World expansion. You're kind of forced to work with (or as I saw it: infiltrate) some raiders to follow the main quest there, but it's a very fun, lovingly designed area to explore.
I've greatly enjoyed Joseph Anderson's Fallout 4 - One Year Later analysis. He has a Fallout 4 analysis of the base game, and well, it pretty much put me off the game. :D However, after watching the OYL video, I realized I could enjoy it just as an exploration game since the main story was pretty meh.

In his view, you should do Nuka Word-->Base Game-->Far Harbor because Nuka World allows you to takeover/raid settlements you liberated in the base game...and if you liberated them, you can't really raid them. At least, that was how I understood what he said.

NOTE: There are major spoilers in his analysis, but damn, it is impressive how much effort he put into this video.

I have reaped the benefit of the bitcoin bust and obtained a slightly used MSI 1080 TI Gaming X card for $640 on Ebay, so I plan to tackle Fallout 4 VR. I'm using my Oculus this time instead of the Vive since I believe it looks better and it feels more immersive with the Touch controllers for some reason.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
morlac

Post by morlac »

Please report back on your VR experience. I am mulling the idea of getting a setup this summer.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

morlac wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:34 pm Please report back on your VR experience. I am mulling the idea of getting a setup this summer.
I'm upgrading to Win10 this summer and since my rig is otherwise ready I might give it a try as well.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Anybody ever complete the synth's memory quest in Bar Harbor?
I've tried twice and gave up twice. Not fun.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I believe you can see the finale in the Fallout 4 - One Year Later video.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:36 pm Anybody ever complete the synth's memory quest in Bar Harbor?
I used a walkthrough for the first four (?) levels, and it was still tedious. They're clever, as jumping puzzles go, but I hate jumping puzzles. When I got to the last level I found a shortcut so absurd it almost counted as a cheat. Basically, you went to the exit point, positioned your turrets *just so*, and shot one block to call the little defender bots. The turrets opened up the exit while they were blasting the defenders, bypassing all the puzzles you were supposed to solve just to reach that point. I was glad that was over.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was curious and looked it up.
The sexy singer in the 3rd Rail in Goodneighbor is sung and dialog voiced by Lynda Carter of Wonder Woman fame.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:36 pm Anybody ever complete the synth's memory quest in Bar Harbor?
Is that the computerized tower defense like sequence? That's where I left the game, having gotten stuck on the fifth (last?) one. Someday I will get back to Far Harbor...
-mf
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am I was curious and looked it up.
The sexy singer in the 3rd Rail in Goodneighbor is sung and dialog voiced by Lynda Carter of Wonder Woman fame.
Ah yes! Had forgotten about that. 8-)
-mf
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:58 am I was curious and looked it up.
She's also done voices in every Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind. She's all the female Nords, Azura, and a few others. By sheer coincidence, she's married to the founder and CEO of Zenimax, Bethesda's parent company.