Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Holman »

He's both-sidesing himself again.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And he just vetoed the emergency declaration cancelation, per WaPo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, now I guess we'll see where all the individual Republican representatives finally stand, starting on 3/26.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

7 lawsuits ought to slow things down a bit.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm

I've just seen it pointed out that, in calling immigration "an invasion," Trump is basically endorsing the NZ terrorists' manifesto.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:06 pm

I've just seen it pointed out that, in calling immigration "an invasion," Trump is basically endorsing the NZ terrorists' manifesto.
There were fine people on both sides of this massacre.
Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Quite the scary ride we are all on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Holman

Post by Holman »

Susan Hennessy wrote:It's a genuinely tough call, but Kellyanne Conway describing the New Zealand mosque shooter as an "eco-terrorist" may be her most audacious, offensive, and appalling lie to date. What an absolute disgrace.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rush Limbaugh says he's an "eco-fascist" as part of his (and the far right's) latest false flag theory over the shooting, so it's fun to see the conspiracy theories continue to permeate the administration.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Eco-whatever is their veiled-not-veiled way of saying liberal.

Also, the killer is not dead so I find it hard to believe is was an organized false flag operation.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump's tweets this morning:

1) Late-night shows are unfair to me.

2) Maybe those shows should be investigated for Collusion with the Democrats (and Russia, har har!). My approvals are very high.

3) The Steele Dossier was a fake. Witch Hunt!

4) John McCain was last in his class in the Naval Academy, and he pushed the Steele Dossier too, and he failed like the Democrats.

5) Happy St. Patrick's Day!

6) Judge Jeanine should be back on the air! Fox is giving in to Political Correctness!

7) Be strong! Don't give in to PC losers!

8) Keep fighting for Judge Jeanine and Tucker Carlson! We are strong when we fight back!

9) [Two-minute Fox clip of some Massachusetts sheriff who supports The Wall]

--

This was the product of two hours' work by the most powerful man in the world.

Yesterday was pretty much the same output and the same volume.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

WTF is Judge Jeanine and why does Trump GAF?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fox talking head
The development comes just days after the cable news network condemned Pirro for questioning the national loyalty of Minnesota Democrat Ilhan Omar, who is a practicing Muslim.

“Omar wears a hijab,” Piro remarked during her March 9 broadcast. “Is her adherence to this Islamic doctrine indicative of her adherence to Sharia law, which in itself is antithetical to the United States Constitution?”
https://apple.news/AEa5t3AQ1SZmu6ZoPSwUSPw
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So she is not good enough for FOX NEWS(!) because of her racist remarks but the President of the United States rants for her reinstatement. Somebody tell me that's not a dog whistle. Hell, it's a police whistle at full volume.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm Trump's tweets this morning:

2) Maybe those shows should be investigated for Collusion with the Democrats (and Russia, har har!). My approvals are very high.

3) The Steele Dossier was a fake. Witch Hunt!

4) John McCain was last in his class in the Naval Academy, and he pushed the Steele Dossier too, and he failed like the Democrats.

5) Happy St. Patrick's Day!

6) Judge Jeanine should be back on the air! Fox is giving in to Political Correctness!

7) Be strong! Don't give in to PC losers!

8) Keep fighting for Judge Jeanine and Tucker Carlson! We are strong when we fight back!

9) [Two-minute Fox clip of some Massachusetts sheriff who supports The Wall]

--

Yesterday was pretty much the same output and the same volume.
My favorite part of this was that in 2 above, he basically called for the FCC to shut down comedy shows, specifically SNL, because they were obviously colluding with the Dems and Russia. Then in 7 and 8, he's yelling about how the lousy Dems are trying to stifle free speech and Fox has to stay strong and fight that.

Plus the one abuout McCain is a complete fabrication. He was fifth or sixth in his class, and he was only briefed on the dossier eleven days after the election.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
4) John McCain was last in his class in the Naval Academy...
Once again, classic projection.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm Trump's tweets this morning:

Even more sad when you consider it was a re-run of SNL from last December.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Chaz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:16 pm Plus the one abuout McCain is a complete fabrication. He was fifth or sixth in his class, and he was only briefed on the dossier eleven days after the election.
McCain was fifth from the bottom of his class. (Although it was a discipline thing rather than a dumb-as-a-sack-of-Trumps thing.)
He joined the USNA Class of 1958 in June of 1954. He didn’t mind the first weeks of plebe summer, and enjoyed fighting in the class boxing smokers. Robert Timberg described his style in the ring in The Nightingale’s Song. “Unschooled as a boxer, McCain would charge to the center of the ring and throw punches until someone went down. That summer it was always the other guy.”

His brief enjoyment of his plebe year came to an abrupt halt when the upperclassman arrived in September. He was offended by the routine hazing accorded plebes, which he considered “demeaning and absurd,” and by the expectation he defer to other young men “for the minor accomplishment of having lived a year or two longer than I had.” His insolence in exchanges with upperclassmen, and even his company commander, were subtle at first, but grew bolder in time.

His roommate, Frank Gamboa, recalled an incident in the mess hall where a first classman at their table was abusing a Filipino steward. “Hey mister, why don’t you pick on someone your own size,” McCain blurted out. “What’s your name, mister?” the stunned senior demanded in response. “McCain,” came the reply. “What’s yours?”

For his regular infractions of the rules he accumulated enough demerits to become something of a class legend, although not so many to require his expulsion. By his own, possibly exaggerated calculation, he marched enough extra duty on the weekends as punishment, “to walk to Baltimore and back many times.” He became an informal leader of his class, the rebellious yin to his best friend and class president, Chuck Larson’s more squared away yang.

He was an engaged student in classes where he enjoyed the subject material, chiefly literature and history, and a poor one in mathematics and engineering classes where he didn’t bother to feign an interest. Nevertheless, to the surprise of some of his contemporaries, he did well enough to graduate, barely, fifth from the bottom of his class, and was commissioned an ensign.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:46 pm
Oh, his boss Putin was tweeting too?
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

McCain is dead. This is about as close to beating a literal dead horse as drumpf can get. It's also illustrative of drumpf's ability to function in a society. Typically people stop talking shit about someone after they're dead, because civility but also because why bother? Not drumpf though. Norms are his antithesis, in all the wrong ways.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:37 pm Obama wasn't a god emperor.
See, this is what I don't get. In the middle east (including Egypt) you have people voting for less democracy. Less control over their own fates. You have students protesting and demanding less access to information and freedom.

Why on earth would anyone *want* someone else to be a god emperor? Why would you support that coming into being? Is it the Leopards Eating Peoples' Faces Party phenomenon?
I found your answer. Warning: contains the history of civilization since the Enlightenment. Yeah, it's rilly rilly long. :P

It's worth your time to read the whole thing to understand the worldwide surge in authoritarianism, but here's the relevant part:
Humans do not yearn only for freedom. They also seek security — not only physical security against attack but also the security that comes from family, tribe, race and culture. Often, people welcome a strong, charismatic leader who can provide that kind of protection.

Liberalism has no particular answer to these needs. Though liberal nations have at times produced strong, charismatic leaders, liberalism’s main purpose was never to provide the kind of security that people find in tribe or family. It has been concerned with the security of the individual and with treating all individuals equally regardless of where they come from, what gods they worship, or who their parents are. And, to some extent, this has come at the expense of the traditional bonds that family, ethnicity and religion provide.

To exalt the rights of the individual is to weaken the authority of the church and other authorities that presume to tell individuals what they must believe and how they must behave. It weakens the traditional hierarchies of birth and class, and even those of family and gender. Liberalism, therefore, cannot help but threaten “traditional values” and cultures. Those are maintained either by the power of traditional authorities or by the pressures of the community and majority opinion. But in a liberal state, the rights of the few, once recognized, supersede the preferences of the many.

In Europe and the United States, this has meant the breakdown of white, Christian cultural ascendancy as liberalism has progressively recognized the rights of people of color; of Jews and Muslims; of gays and others with sexual orientations frowned upon, if not forbidden, by the major religions; and, more recently, of refugees and migrants. Liberalism is a trade-off, and many have often been unhappy at what was lost and unappreciative of what was gained.

Liberalism has thus always been vulnerable to anti-liberal backlashes, especially in times of upheaval and uncertainty. It faced such a backlash in the years between the two world wars and during the global economic depression. In 1940, liberal democracy looked to be on its last legs; fascism seemed “the wave of the future,” as Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote at the time.

Liberalism faces a backlash again in the present era of geopolitical, economic and technological upheaval. In such times, many people focus on liberalism’s shortcomings, the things it does not provide and the things it either weakens or destroys. The thing liberalism does provide — security of the individual’s rights against the state and the community — is easily taken for granted or devalued. Even in the United States, the one nation founded on the principle of universal rights, the public has supported the restriction of rights in times of perceived emergency, whether justified or not. In other nations where experience with liberal democracy has been brief and shallow, and where nationalism is tied to blood and soil, it seems almost inevitable that political forces would emerge promising to defend tradition and culture and community against the “tyranny” of liberal individualism.

That is the backlash mounting across the globe, and not only among the increasingly powerful authoritarian governments of Russia and China, but also within the liberal democratic world itself.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:59 pm McCain is dead. This is about as close to beating a literal dead horse as drumpf can get.
A dead guy is the ultimate strawman.

MYT
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Promoting...

Checks notes...

A terrorist's manifesto to own the libs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A tweet for everything now seems to backwards and forwards.
Joe Biden got tongue tied over the weekend when he was unable to properly deliver a very simple line about his decision to run for President. Get used to it, another low I.Q. individual!
Maybe Biden was just so smart he was being more efficient with his very simple line.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

George Conway is now living rent free inside Donald Trump's head.

Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am George Conway is now living rent free inside Donald Trump's head.

That he insults a man by calling him by his wife's name kind of tells you a lot.

(FWIW, though, I think this whole Conway vs Conway thing might be a charade. It's too performative and too public to be sincere. Trump would find a way to sideline KC if it were real.)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:59 am
pr0ner wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:36 am George Conway is now living rent free inside Donald Trump's head.

That he insults a man by calling him by his wife's name kind of tells you a lot.

(FWIW, though, I think this whole Conway vs Conway thing might be a charade. It's too performative and too public to be sincere. Trump would find a way to sideline KC if it were real.)
No way that Trump is in on anything like that. He can't tolerate any sort of criticism or ridicule at all, no matter how silly or trivial. So you're left with the possibility that it's performative between the Conways - like it's useful to Kellyanne to have a anti-Trump husband for...I dunno social standing? Post-Trump career if and when Trump goes south? Honestly hard for me to build much plausibility around that either, though.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am No way that Trump is in on anything like that. He can't tolerate any sort of criticism or ridicule at all, no matter how silly or trivial. So you're left with the possibility that it's performative between the Conways - like it's useful to Kellyanne to have a anti-Trump husband for...I dunno social standing? Post-Trump career if and when Trump goes south? Honestly hard for me to build much plausibility around that either, though.
It's hard to know, but I keep seeing it pointed out that George Conway has been involved in projects with the likes of Ann Coulter and Matt Drudge in the past. He's almost certainly not simply a principled conservative whose wife's choices somehow surprised him.

I agree that Trump probably isn't in on the game, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Conways are winking at each other the whole time.

If not, how could she possibly accept Trump's insults to her husband? How could he not be doing everything he can to pry her away from serving this president?

I suppose it's possible that they're doing it just to keep their marriage spicy, but notoriety never hurt anyone in the business of being famous.

(It's sometimes hinted that KC is the arch-leaker inside the Trump White House, staying on to help those outside learn the truth. I can't see how that's possible--if nothing else, GC's attacks draw attention and risks getting KC fired in reaction.)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Just more horrible people whose motivations and thought processes are unintelligible to us unwashed peons.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Working for him must be a never ending one way loyalty test.

I wonder how many will have PTSD afterward.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:48 am
El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am No way that Trump is in on anything like that. He can't tolerate any sort of criticism or ridicule at all, no matter how silly or trivial. So you're left with the possibility that it's performative between the Conways - like it's useful to Kellyanne to have a anti-Trump husband for...I dunno social standing? Post-Trump career if and when Trump goes south? Honestly hard for me to build much plausibility around that either, though.
It's hard to know, but I keep seeing it pointed out that George Conway has been involved in projects with the likes of Ann Coulter and Matt Drudge in the past. He's almost certainly not simply a principled conservative whose wife's choices somehow surprised him.

I agree that Trump probably isn't in on the game, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the Conways are winking at each other the whole time.

If not, how could she possibly accept Trump's insults to her husband? How could he not be doing everything he can to pry her away from serving this president?

I suppose it's possible that they're doing it just to keep their marriage spicy, but notoriety never hurt anyone in the business of being famous.

(It's sometimes hinted that KC is the arch-leaker inside the Trump White House, staying on to help those outside learn the truth. I can't see how that's possible--if nothing else, GC's attacks draw attention and risks getting KC fired in reaction.)
It's not unusual to have disagreements among groups of lunatics, nor do you have to have enlightened politics to dislike Trump. If Conway tilts towards being pro-immigration and concerned about national security, *lots* of otherwise conservative people in that sphere have issues with Trump.

And sure, I would expect this to be a big issue in the Conway marriage / household. But maybe they fight about it a ton. Maybe the sex is *amazing*.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

I’m trying to think of what state *my* marriage would be in if one of us was a Trumpaloo. I can almost certainly say it would be severely damaged or over if one of us actually went to work in that cesspool pushing its evil ideals.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

geezer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:28 pm I’m trying to think of what state *my* marriage would be in if one of us was a Trumpaloo. I can almost certainly say it would be severely damaged or over if one of us actually went to work in that cesspool pushing its evil ideals.
Yeah. I wouldn't have an issue with my spouse being a Republican, even though I think very poorly of the GOP establishment these days even setting Trump aside. Being a Trumpist, especially actively working to advance Trumpism, would be a big problem.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:48 am
I'm thinking of James Carville and Mary Matalin, except without their talent.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I love how Lindsey Graham has really gone after trump for dragging his best buddy's name through the mud after he died.

Honestly how does that guy look at himself in the mirror everyday?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

geezer wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:28 pm I’m trying to think of what state *my* marriage would be in if one of us was a Trumpaloo. I can almost certainly say it would be severely damaged or over if one of us actually went to work in that cesspool pushing its evil ideals.
I think the Conways probably agree on most policy issues. George is still a very conservative Republican, I believe. He just hates Trump.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently, it's either tweet at Trump or yell at his wife.
Conway also suggested his own tweets questioning the president’s mental health were aimed in part at avoiding conflicts with his wife.

“It’s so maddening to watch,” said Conway, a longtime Washington attorney who is well-known in conservative circles. “The mendacity, the incompetence, it’s just maddening to watch. The tweeting is just the way to get it out of the way, so I can get it off my chest and move on with my life that day. That’s basically it. Frankly, it’s so I don’t end up screaming at her about it.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
raydude

Post by raydude »

GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:54 pm I love how Lindsey Graham has really gone after trump for dragging his best buddy's name through the mud after he died.

Seriously. I saw this headline on CNN today: GOP Senator Plans to Rebuke Attacks on McCain

and I thought, well finally Lindsey found a hill to die on. But nope. It's not him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:54 pm I love how Lindsey Graham has really gone after trump for dragging his best buddy's name through the mud after he died.

I imagine that he has people reminding him regularly that he has to answer to the South Carolina GOP primary electorate in 2020.
Black Lives Matter.