The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:52 pm
GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:54 pm I love how Lindsey Graham has really gone after trump for dragging his best buddy's name through the mud after he died.

Honestly how does that guy look at himself in the mirror everyday?
I imagine that he has people reminding him regularly that he has to answer to the South Carolina GOP primary electorate in 2020.
Who should also be pissed that Trump is dumping on McCain.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:53 pm
GungHo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:54 pm I love how Lindsey Graham has really gone after trump for dragging his best buddy's name through the mud after he died.

I imagine that he has people reminding him regularly that he has to answer to the South Carolina GOP primary electorate in 2020.
Have you met the South Carolina electorate?
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:54 pm

It's not all of us!!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I lived in SC for a year (97-98-ish). Many were fine people.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:57 pm

I lived in SC for a year (97-98-ish). Many were fine people.
Some of my best friends are South Carolinian!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:56 pm

It's not all of us!!
We are all holding you personally responsible.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 pm

It's not all of us!!
carpet pissr gets some of the blame too. It's not *all* on stess.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:13 pm

It's not all of us!!
Maybe the South Carolina electorate is so upset because Carpet Pissr keeps running around pissing on all of their carpets.
Black Lives Matter.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:17 pm And sure, I would expect this to be a big issue in the Conway marriage / household. But maybe they fight about it a ton. Maybe the sex is *amazing*.
Doubt it. I bet sex with her is like fucking a burlap bag full of hammers.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Z-Corn wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:17 pm And sure, I would expect this to be a big issue in the Conway marriage / household. But maybe they fight about it a ton. Maybe the sex is *amazing*.
Intrigued.

Go on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Home of the Akimbo AWPs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:27 pm
Z-Corn wrote:
Intrigued.

Go on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Someone's going to swing by the hardware store on the way home.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Z-Corn wrote:
Intrigued.

Go on.

It makes you a little thor.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

All I'm saying is keep in mind WD-40 is a penetrating oil.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:21 pm
Z-Corn wrote:
Intrigued.

Go on.

It makes you a little thor.
Well done.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote:
coopasonic wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:13 pm

It's not all of us!!
Maybe the South Carolina electorate is so upset because Carpet Pissr keeps running around pissing on all of their carpets.
They really tied the state together.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's official, Trump will mess you up if you pick on anyone wearing a MAGA hat. He's going to sign an executive order today demanding that colleges follow the first amendment or lose their federal research funding.

For a group that loves to complain about "snowflakes", they sure are a bunch of wussies.

Next up: Trump signs an executive order demanding that murder and theft be officially illegal.

I wonder what will happen the first time a pro-choice speaker or activist group tries to hold an event at a christian college...or if the orange douche will muse about forcing college ball players to kneel during the national anthem again.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I not only support free speech but maybe we could make make the MAGA hat a sort of Star of Donald. You get your MAGA pride, I get have nothing to do with you.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Sooo....colleges are going to become governments upon which their citizens (students? professors? coaches?) cannot impinge upon their freedom of speech?
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No, they're going to be American institutions that have to adhere to the first amendment...which they already do...by law. It's the students themselves that are the offending factors for conservatives...and they're just practicing the rights afforded them by the first amendment by expressing their annoyance with some people. Just like they did during the Vietnam War (thankfully Trump hasn't deployed the national guard to campuses...yet). Sometimes they go a little overboard, I will admit. But it's not a rise of fascism in the ranks of those in authority.

Like I said, I anxiously await the moment this bites a christian college right in the ass.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

There is nothing in the first amendment that stipulates a private college (or business for that matter) must allow free speech. All it stipulates is that congress can pass no laws to restrict it. These institutions have always enforced some sort of code of conduct which stipulates what is acceptable and not. Violators can't be tossed into a federal prison, but they can certainly be banished from the institution/fired from their job/etc.

I don't get his angle though. The first amendment would appear to be Trump's biggest enemy (because it protects the press).
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

JUST IN: Jared Kushner’s attorney told the House Oversight Committee that Kushner uses private apps and personal email to communicate about official White House matters with foreign leaders — a violation of a law governing White House records and official policy.
Literally everything is about projection with these clowns.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:48 pm There is nothing in the first amendment that stipulates a private college (or business for that matter) must allow free speech. All it stipulates is that congress can pass no laws to restrict it. These institutions have always enforced some sort of code of conduct which stipulates what is acceptable and not. Violators can't be tossed into a federal prison, but they can certainly be banished from the institution/fired from their job/etc.

I don't get his angle though. The first amendment would appear to be Trump's biggest enemy (because it protects the press).
Great point, his ego-driven, anecdotal world view actually led him to actively support the constitution. Albeit in a private, possibly inappropriate institution, I'll take it over riding roughshod over the constitution.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:48 pm There is nothing in the first amendment that stipulates a private college (or business for that matter) must allow free speech. All it stipulates is that congress can pass no laws to restrict it.
They're not talking about private universities or businesses though. From the article:
The order tells federal agencies to work with Office of Management and Budget to ensure that colleges receiving research grants "promote free inquiry, including through compliance with all applicable federal laws, regulations and policies." White House officials say it will apply to more than $35 billion in grants.

Public universities pursuing federal funding would have to certify that they comply with the First Amendment, which already applies to them. Private universities, which have more flexibility in limiting speech, would need to commit to their own institutional rules.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Presumably this means that public universities are no longer capable of canceling a controversial speaker (Milo, Laura Loomer, Mike Cernovich, whoever) when they know the protests will make the event a madhouse.

The result is that Milo and company will be able to launch government-guaranteed speaking tours for the purpose of inciting protests that the universities will then be bound to suppress in some way.

The idea is to generate headlines and news footage of angry Leftist protesters in the run-up to 2020.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

OK, so we were both right, but I still can't see Trump's angle in this. Through DeVos, you'd think he'd be more inclined to throw federal $$$ to private schools, and through his own actions, particularly those who limit or punish free speech.

I went to a public university and there wasn't even a whiff of suppression of speech -- groups like the communists and Moonies were quite active openly recruiting in student common areas. That of course did not mean they were free from mockery from people like me. Good times.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:33 pm The result is that Milo and company will be able to launch government-guaranteed speaking tours for the purpose of inciting protests that the universities will then be bound to suppress in some way.
What's to stop a university from booking such a speaker to a room with a capacity of 20 and at 9 pm on Saturday night? A school might not be able to completely forbid such an event, but couldn't they arrange to make it ineffective and disarm any conflict before it happens?
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:33 pm Presumably this means that public universities are no longer capable of canceling a controversial speaker (Milo, Laura Loomer, Mike Cernovich, whoever) when they know the protests will make the event a madhouse.

The result is that Milo and company will be able to launch government-guaranteed speaking tours for the purpose of inciting protests that the universities will then be bound to suppress in some way.

The idea is to generate headlines and news footage of angry Leftist protesters in the run-up to 2020.
It's one thing not prohibit free speech, it another thing to subsidize it. I'd think the Supreme Court would on that like White on a College Campus proclaiming victimhood.
Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm OK, so we were both right, but I still can't see Trump's angle in this. Through DeVos, you'd think he'd be more inclined to throw federal $$$ to private schools, and through his own actions, particularly those who limit or punish free speech.

I went to a public university and there wasn't even a whiff of suppression of speech -- groups like the communists and Moonies were quite active openly recruiting in student common areas. That of course did not mean they were free from mockery from people like me. Good times.
Sadly my alma mater has an enduring history of needing to suppress the (hate) speech of bigots.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:33 pm The result is that Milo and company will be able to launch government-guaranteed speaking tours for the purpose of inciting protests that the universities will then be bound to suppress in some way.
What's to stop a university from booking such a speaker to a room with a capacity of 20 and at 9 pm on Saturday night? A school might not be able to completely forbid such an event, but couldn't they arrange to make it ineffective and disarm any conflict before it happens?
The College Republicans or some even worse group will do the inviting. When the university allows the College Dems to use a huge auditorium for Michelle Obama, the right-wingers will be able to demand the same access under this policy.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, it's not the college that is doing the inviting. If it were, they could just...not invite them in the first place.

Honestly, the colleges should already be doing this (not cancelling speakers).

It sucks that this will force increased expenses for security but it's a small price to pay for those sweet, sweet tax payer dollars. If they don't like it, they could always ignore the grant money. Even holocaust deniers should get to speak if someone is willing to pay for it. Protests are part of the process. Cancelling just keeps the process from ever getting started. That's not good in a free, democratic society.

The process is the marketplace of ideas, of which higher education institutions (used to be) are/were leaders.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There are already equal access laws in place for public schools, designed quite frankly, for just the purpose you state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Access_Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosenberg ... f_Virginia
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm Sadly my alma mater has an enduring history of needing to suppress the (hate) speech of bigots.
Are Michigan Nazis as bad as Illinois Nazis?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:56 pm Yeah, it's not the college that is doing the inviting. If it were, they could just...not invite them in the first place.

Honestly, the colleges should already be doing this (not cancelling speakers).

It sucks that this will force increased expenses for security but it's a small price to pay for those sweet, sweet tax payer dollars. If they don't like it, they could always ignore the grant money. Even holocaust deniers should get to speak if someone is willing to pay for it. Protests are part of the process. Cancelling just keeps the process from ever getting started. That's not good in a free, democratic society.

The process is the marketplace of ideas, of which higher education institutions (used to be) are/were leaders.
I suspect that step 2 is to threaten universities that don't allow speakers to speak without disruption.

If Alt-Right-Provocateur-of-the-Week doesn't like being yelled at, he can declare that he was unable to finish unimpeded and that his rights were violated, threatening the host's money. Obviously this puts huge pressure on the university to prevent protest in the first place, and they'll find it much easier to punish students than risk Trumpian pushback. This, naturally, will lead to *more* unrest on campus even after Jacob Wohl or whoever has pocketed his notoriety and moved on to the next target.

The point of all this is to cause problems on (biased, librul, FAKE KNOWLEDGE) campuses where the Right is unpopular.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Doesn't the First Amendment also guarantee the right of the students to speak and protest?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:26 pm
LordMortis wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm Sadly my alma mater has an enduring history of needing to suppress the (hate) speech of bigots.
Are Michigan Nazis as bad as Illinois Nazis?

I dunno, I will say Ypsilanti White Nationalists can lick my unwashed taint.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:37 pm I went to a public university and there wasn't even a whiff of suppression of speech -- groups like the communists and Moonies were quite active openly recruiting in student common areas. That of course did not mean they were free from mockery from people like me. Good times.
I went to a public high school and worked on the school newspaper. The administration found out that we were preparing to run a series about drug use on campus. We had interviewed several dealers and a couple of jocks who bought from them, to demonstrate that the market wasn't limited to just us burnouts. They not only threatened to suppress publication, but demanded the names of our sources.

We LOL'd and went to the city newspaper for legal advice. They put us in touch with the ACLU. Both sides threatened to deploy lawyers. In the end, we agreed to hold the series in exchange for them letting us graduate. All the administration had to do was run out the clock until we were gone.

That's the achilles heel of student activism -- students are just passing through, and the school decides if they're going to succeed at that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:43 pm Doesn't the First Amendment also guarantee the right of the students to speak and protest?
Sure. But the universities, under pressure to ensure smooth conservative events, will enforce rules about "disruption" so that raising your voice gets you ejected and sent to the Free Speech Zone across the street. This will fuel all kinds of anger between students and administration.

None of this works. That's why schools cancel events.

Provocateurs want to cause a shitshow, and Trump's order guarantees their ability to do so.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:43 pm Doesn't the First Amendment also guarantee the right of the students to speak and protest?
Of course. If the administration tries to use their "law" in the way Holman suggests, they will lose in court. Withholding grants because everyone was shouting at each other isn't going to fly.

That doesn't mean there won't be large numbers of campuses where moronic administrators try to enforce it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm
Of course. If the administration tries to use their "law" in the way Holman suggests, they will lose in court. Withholding grants because everyone was shouting at each other isn't going to fly.

That doesn't mean there won't be large numbers of campuses where moronic administrators try to enforce it.
But that process will take years to settle out.

Meanwhile, we get campus flashpoints and maybe even violence between now and Fall 2020. The media coverage (left and right) will be everything Trump wants.

This is the point of the policy.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Count on Trump to actively promote conflict to boost his political support and ratings. And then project the blame on the left.

It's almost like Trump has professional subversive psychological ops support.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 pm But that process will take years to settle out.

Meanwhile, we get campus flashpoints and maybe even violence between now and Fall 2020. The media coverage (left and right) will be everything Trump wants.

This is the point of the policy.
As I said, colleges should be doing this anyway. We'll see how it turns. I think you're dreaming if you think this will have a major impact on the election. If the protestors turn to violence then your country deserves whatever comes after.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.