Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

YellowKing

Re: Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by YellowKing »

Thought I'd give a little shout out to Mech Force: International Defense League which just hit Kickstarter.

This is a game that I was able to test at GenCon as part of the "test a new game" event. The designer Bobby Hill (dammit, Bobby!) was a really nice guy and I'm thrilled that he's on the verge of making this a reality.

The game is obviously inspired by kaiju films and comics, and has you semi-cooperatively taking down monsters with your armored mech. As the game progresses your mech gets more powerful as you swap out parts.

There were two aspects of the game that I thought were pretty unique and fun (at least in my experience). First of all, it's almost impossible to go it alone in this game and survive, so you will be forced to team up with fellow mechs even though you're competing against them score-wise. It's up to you to negotiate the terms of getting another player to help you, and I found the bargaining aspect quite intriguing. During our play testing this led to some really comedic moments as each player tried to negotiate the best deal, or suddenly went rogue and shut the other players out entirely.

The other aspect I liked is that it was the first semi-cooperative game I've played that felt TRULY competitive. I've played a lot of semi-co-op games where you're teaming up the whole game and then the "semi" part comes when you total scores at the end. However, that can sometimes feel like your score is just arbitrary luck. In this game, competition comes first, and the teamwork is only a means to your own selfish ends.

Obviously I don't know how well the game plays over repeated play sessions, and our experience with it was limited by the designer's setup, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Oh hey, an unlicensed Star Wars Kickstarter. It's sure to succeed!
Star Wars Intrepid is a sandbox MMO where players carve out their own stories in the Star Wars universe. We have gone far too long without a galactic civil war era Star Wars MMORPG and the time is now to create something new.
Star Wars Intrepid will be a free to play game based on the same legal structure as the current SWG emulators. Free to play means FREE. No cashshop, no micro-transactions. Initial funding will be used for initial development and the remainder will be invested through an investment firm with paying dividends used to maintain servers and fund continued development.
Risks and challenges
Disney sues, we fight them in court with the possibility of a settlement where funds are handed over in exchange for the development of a subscription based galactic civil war era star wars sandbox mmorpg.
Currently at $272.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I've heard of worse business plans. Not many, mind you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:49 pm Speaking of exploding Kickstarters...

Critical Role's Kickstarter to create a Vox Machina animated special.
Currently sitting at 4.5 million dollars in a little more than 24 hours. Now that's a fan base.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Dragon's Tomb, YouTube's best board game reviewer, has designed a game. It's on Kickstarter now.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Currently sitting at 4.5 million dollars in a little more than 24 hours. Now that's a fan base.
Now over 7 Million dollars pledged in just over a week.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Age of Civilization, which I tried at PAX Unplugged, is on Kickstarter. Re-posting my impressions from then:
Age of Civilization - We played a pre-production copy in the "First Look" section of the conference hall. The rulebook was pretty terrible -- poorly translated (I think the designer is Chinese or Taiwanese, based on his name) and unclear in multiple areas. I suspect the rulebook is still a work in progress, since it was printed on two double-sided sheets of printer paper. But once we figured things out, the actual gameplay was clean and tight. This is a short, small-box version of your typical worker-placement civilization-builder. There are wonders, research, and war, but everything is streamlined into a brisk 20 minutes.
If the rulebook issues have been sorted out, this should be a fun little game.
Holman

Post by Holman »

hentzau wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm
hentzau wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Now over 7 Million dollars pledged in just over a week.
They should go full Star Citizen with this just for the hell of it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

AWS260 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:04 pm
Risks and challenges
Disney sues, we fight them in court with the possibility of a settlement where funds are handed over in exchange for the development of a subscription based galactic civil war era star wars sandbox mmorpg.
THAT'S the game I want to play!
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:14 pm It's before my time, but maybe some of you old folks can appreciate the just launched Steve Jackson KS for his recently re-acquired RPG system, The Fantasy Trip. Funded in under an hour, so I'm guessing nostalgia factor is high.
My copy just arrived and the size of the box is absurd - and I only backed the Legacy Edition. From the photos I've seen online of the "I Want it All" pledge, it's even crazier.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:34 am
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:14 pm It's before my time, but maybe some of you old folks can appreciate the just launched Steve Jackson KS for his recently re-acquired RPG system, The Fantasy Trip. Funded in under an hour, so I'm guessing nostalgia factor is high.
My copy just arrived and the size of the box is absurd - and I only backed the Legacy Edition. From the photos I've seen online of the "I Want it All" pledge, it's even crazier.
My wife forgot to tell me this arrived yesterday. Hope to unbox it tonight, and maybe get a game or two in next weekend at Octocon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know your wife clearly loves you very much and supports your hobbies as she didn't' demand to know what was in the giant shipping box. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:09 pm I know your wife clearly loves you very much and supports your hobbies as she didn't' demand to know what was in the giant shipping box. :D
Yeah, she really doesn't even bat an eye.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hentzau wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:16 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:09 pm I know your wife clearly loves you very much and supports your hobbies as she didn't' demand to know what was in the giant shipping box. :D
Yeah, she really doesn't even bat an eye.
I'll let you know what mine says when my all-in Gotham City Chronicles pledge shows up. I am assuming a very different reaction. On the plus side I back very few kickstarters now and she knows my love of Batman, so I have hope of still being able to sleep in the house... and possibly in the box.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My wife still gives me crap about the OGRE Deluxe box.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh, you have Ogre?
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Maybe I'll even set it up on my new board game table.

And play solo.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Any chance you will be live streaming the rules explanation? That could be fun to watch.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You should live stream it and before every rules explanation, use my name to rub it in.

"Hep, if you were finally being allowed to play this copy, you'd roll these dice to make your hit...but since you're not..."
Covfefe!
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Sounds hot.
Zarathud, the "cam girl" of board games.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:44 pm Oh, you have Ogre?
If you buy it a bus ticket, I'll send you mine.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Kickstarter (Merged)

Post by hentzau »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

hepcat wrote:You should live stream it and before every rules explanation, use my name to rub it in.

"Hep, if you were finally being allowed to play this copy, you'd roll these dice to make your hit...but since you're not..."
It's not only funny, but part of the reason why I don't usually teach game rules. It's simple-ish enough that I know I'm going to fuck up the rules.

I play games to relax and STOP being a lawyer...to the extent I can emotionally unwind. ;)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ah, you ain't so bad. We just like bustin' your chops.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:37 pm
hepcat wrote:You should live stream it and before every rules explanation, use my name to rub it in.

It's not only funny, but part of the reason why I don't usually teach game rules. It's simple-ish enough that I know I'm going to fuck up the rules.

I play games to relax and STOP being a lawyer...to the extent I can emotionally unwind. ;)
heh. I love playing games with you. And I think I have learned a few rules from you as well. We can both make fun of Hep together ast Origins this year. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Don't make me punish you both by not allowing you to experience the overwhelming majesty and pleasure of my presence.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:07 am Don't make me punish you both by not allowing you to experience the overwhelming majesty and pleasure of my presence.
Like we give you any choice in the matter. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

April is set to be a good month for me.

Reaper Bones 4 is set to ship any day. They've already sent off all of the sets for the UK and China hubs, and they'll finish shipping to the AU hub today or tomorrow. After that they start shipping US orders. I'm in wave 2, so I should have my goodies by the beginning of the month. I wasn't able to get as much as I did on Bones 1 and 3 (and I couldn't afford any for 2), but I did get a number. I do regret not springing for the underdark (whatever it was called) expansion, though. Word is that all of the expansion boxes are being molded in Bones Black, a new version of the material that is more rigid and holds far more detail than regular Bones PVC. Those being my only complaints about Bones in general, I can't wait to get my hands on The Lost World and Dreadmere (which I did back.)

Batman: Gotham City Chronicles is also due to ship in the next few weeks. I didn't back it myself (well, $1 to get the updates), but a friend made an all-in pledge for me for my birthday in April. I'm really excited for this one, being something of a DC fan. Betcha didn't know that. I even picked up alternative Arrowverse Green Arrow and Deathstroke miniatures for it at GenCon. Therein lies one of the side bonuses for GCC: the Batman Miniatures Game uses the same scale. That means you can use BMG minis in Gotham City Chronicles, and - even better - you can use Gotham City Chronicles miniatures for the Batman Miniatures Game. Since the rules for the BMG are free to download, that means that you effectively get a free game!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

wire wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm One of the guys in my Pathfinder group (the guy in the video) put up a Kickstarter for his hand crafted dice box and tray system. They are quality pieces with many different wood type options. The magnets he uses are strong and hold everything to together and you need a little muscle to get them to separate. The box and tray can be kind of expensive based on the wood and optional things like inlay designs but they are quality pieces. Thought maybe a few people on here may be interested in checking out the Kickstarter.

The Nomad's Armory
They have a new kickstarter for their dice tower. I'm taking the plunge.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've always liked the idea of a travel dice box (mine is about 18"x12"), but they all seem to be for one set. I generally play RPGs with three sets.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:21 pm Reaper Bones 4 is set to ship any day. They've already sent off all of the sets for the UK and China hubs, and they'll finish shipping to the AU hub today or tomorrow. After that they start shipping US orders. I'm in wave 2, so I should have my goodies by the beginning of the month.
Oh, you sweet summer child. You watch the video? They're not staring the US shipping until 4/8, ending 5/20 - all estimates. I'm a little surprised at all this as I thought after 4 KS projects, they kinda had this all figured out. Watching the video, it seems like they're still learning things. Also, if your order contains Baba Yaga's hut, Tree of Despair, and/or the Frost Giant Raiders they only have limited quantities on hand. Your order might be delayed if they can't fulfill it when it's time to pack and ship. No ETA on when it would be coming then either.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm an early wave, so it's only a couple of weeks of extra delay while they... redesign their warehouse? Change locations for fulfilment? You'd think they'd have that worked out by this point.
I'm a little surprised at all this as I thought after 4 KS projects, they kinda had this all figured out.
Six. Bones 1-4, Base Boss, CAV
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:22 pm Also, if your order contains Baba Yaga's hut, Tree of Despair, and/or the Frost Giant Raiders they only have limited quantities on hand. Your order might be delayed if they can't fulfill it when it's time to pack and ship. No ETA on when it would be coming then either.
Since I have two peoples' orders in mine, I have two huts and two raiders in my order. If there is a Bones 5, they really need to reconsider who they're doing business with in China. Every single time the delay is on China's end, often with the manufacturer straight up lying to them to make them happy.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

What bothers me is that throughout the KS people brought up delays and they insisted everything was on time.
I also see a lot of KSs that fail to take the Chinese new year into account
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

To be fair to Reaper, they specifically accounted for the New Year this time. And at worse they'll be 2-3 months late, total. For Reaper, that's great. I seem to remember the previous Bones being 6+ months late.

They still could have done better, just with plans on their end.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Did anyone back Tsukuyumi the first time around? I watched a game-play video the other day and it is definitely up my alley and an 8.4 rating on BGG for a fairly obscure title is quite impressive. The only problem is I would be seriously compelled to go all in since I don't think I could pass up a flying whale faction.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I’m sort of burned out on social deduction games, but a new one just popped up on Kickstarter: Blood on the Clocktower. It’s already well past the funded stage.

I normally wouldn’t give these type of games a second look, but Shut Up & Sit Down just put out a video review and Quinns said it might be his favorite board game ever. Image

However, getting 8+ people together for a game night is pretty rare for me, so not sure how much play it would actually get. Hmm...
Black Lives Matter
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 am I’m sort of burned out on social deduction games, but a new one just popped up on Kickstarter: Blood on the Clocktower. It’s already well past the funded stage.

I normally wouldn’t give these type of games a second look, but Shut Up & Sit Down just put out a video review and Quinns said it might be his favorite board game ever. Image

However, getting 8+ people together for a game night is pretty rare for me, so not sure how much play it would actually get. Hmm...
I just watched that review and am sorely tempted to kickstart it, though I also rarely have the 8+ people to play. I used to run Werewolf with my students, but hated the downtime for killed players, so I'm thinking this would be a great alternative. My wife's family are not gamers but they did enjoy One Night Ultimate Werewolf, so I could probably get in games during the holidays with them as well.

I know when I start rationalizing reasons to buy a game I am doomed. I should just go ahead and order the thing already. :oops:
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Fishbelly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:02 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:42 am I’m sort of burned out on social deduction games, but a new one just popped up on Kickstarter: Blood on the Clocktower. It’s already well past the funded stage.

I just watched that review and am sorely tempted to kickstart it, though I also rarely have the 8+ people to play. I used to run Werewolf with my students, but hated the downtime for killed players, so I'm thinking this would be a great alternative. My wife's family are not gamers but they did enjoy One Night Ultimate Werewolf, so I could probably get in games during the holidays with them as well.

I know when I start rationalizing reasons to buy a game I am doomed. I should just go ahead and order the thing already. :oops:
If you haven't yet tried it, The Resistance: Avalon definitely ought to scratch you where you itch. It still ranks as the #5 party game on BGG, and you can usually buy it for ~$16.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:12 pm
If you haven't yet tried it, The Resistance: Avalon definitely ought to scratch you where you itch. It still ranks as the #5 party game on BGG, and you can usually buy it for ~$16.
I owned the Resistance years ago, but never tried Resistance: Avalon. The price is certainly palatable, so I'll take a look. Thanks!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Fishbelly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:55 pm
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:12 pm
I owned the Resistance years ago, but never tried Resistance: Avalon. The price is certainly palatable, so I'll take a look. Thanks!
In my experience, the Arthurian theme of The Resistance: Avalon makes it easier to teach and much more accessible for non-gamers (e.g. when playing with friends and family during the holidays). You can also use the following pre-game ritual for great additional flavour or download it as an MP3 from BGG:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke