2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: 2018-19 NCAA Basketball thread

Post by ImLawBoy »

I only saw the end of the game, but Beilein being such a hot-tempered problem maker is another reason why UCLA should avoid him like the plague. Ejected in this game, ejected previously about 40 years ago in another game - it's definitely a pattern.

I don't buy officiating conspiracies, but I do have to share this item that is circulating. Michigan is 22-3 overall this year. They are 1-3 in games officiated by this crew (a win in the season opener against Norfolk State).
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

MLive
Beilein would not elaborate on what led to the ejection, but assistant coach Saddi Washington, who filled in for Beilein in the second half of an eventual 79-65 loss to the Big Ten’s last-place team, provided some clarification.

Beilein was upset about a screen that sent Michigan’s Zavier Simpson to the floor on the final possession of the half. There was no whistle, and Penn State scored a layup just before the buzzer to take a 40-27 lead.

“It was one of those bang-bang things,” Washington said. “I thought (Simpson) did a good job of guarding their guy. That call could have went either way if it was an illegal screen. They didn’t call it, they scored, and then what happened happened.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm I only saw the end of the game, but Beilein being such a hot-tempered problem maker is another reason why UCLA should avoid him like the plague. Ejected in this game, ejected previously about 40 years ago in another game - it's definitely a pattern.

I don't buy officiating conspiracies, but I do have to share this item that is circulating. Michigan is 22-3 overall this year. They are 1-3 in games officiated by this crew (a win in the season opener against Norfolk State).
I didn't realize it was the same crew but I remember being underwhelmed with the officials in the Iowa game. I remember thinking they were a little biased possibly but mostly they sucked big time.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The sole highlight of Utah's otherwise mediocre season is coming back from 22 down in the second half and beating UCLA with a 3 at the buzzer last Saturday.

(Apologies to Pyper)
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:09 pm The sole highlight of Utah's otherwise mediocre season is coming back from 22 down in the second half and beating UCLA with a 3 at the buzzer last Saturday.

(Apologies to Pyper)
None necessary. It's been such a disaster season that even the lowlights are highlights ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Remus West wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:01 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm I only saw the end of the game, but Beilein being such a hot-tempered problem maker is another reason why UCLA should avoid him like the plague. Ejected in this game, ejected previously about 40 years ago in another game - it's definitely a pattern.

I didn't realize it was the same crew but I remember being underwhelmed with the officials in the Iowa game. I remember thinking they were a little biased possibly but mostly they sucked big time.
I think it's more likely a combination of coincidence and just generally bad officials than anything more nefarious. Michigan always has trouble at the Kohl Center (Beilein is something like 2-15 there). Iowa plays a zone defense, and Michigan's not a good enough shooting team to shoot over the zone. I can't explain last night, though. ;)

I did see a tweet from someone who covers Indiana basketball saying he understood how Beilein could get ejected when he saw who the officials were, so more than just Michigan fans are down on this crew.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm In other news, UCLA managed to blow a 22-point second half lead to Utah over the weekend (congrats Skiny!), but then Louisville stepped up and said, "Hold my beer"
Louisville was more panicked in the last 9 minutes of that game than any team I've ever seen at any level. Duke is damn good team, but Louisville gave up 36 points in the last 9 minutes of play. How is that even possible??? If they had just held the ball and got a shotclock violation on every possession, they would have won that game.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

things are heating up in the Federal case:
A 2017 phone conversation intercepted by the FBI between LSU coach Will Wade and basketball middleman Christian Dawkins features Wade speaking freely about a “strong-ass offer” he made in the recruitment of a prospect, Yahoo Sports has learned.

On part of the call, Wade expresses frustration that a third party affiliated with the recruitment had yet to accept Wade’s “offer.” Instead, a verbal commitment to LSU was being delayed because Wade theorized he hadn’t given the third party a big “enough piece of the pie in the deal” and instead “tilted” the offer toward the player and his mother.

“I was thinking last night on this Smart thing,” Wade said. “I’ll be honest with you, I’m [expletive] tired of dealing with the thing. Like I’m just [expletive] sick of dealing with the [expletive]. Like, this should not be that [expletive] complicated.”

There is no elaboration on what the “Smart thing” is. Javonte Smart is currently a freshman guard at LSU and formerly a top-50 recruit from Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

On a more fun note, what about Zavier Simpson's hook shot? Dude is reported to be 6 foot even (and programs never exaggerate the height of players), yet he's weaponized a hook shot against much taller competition.

Video in action:

The announcers laugh every time he hits it, and I admit that I do to. It's crazy.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:59 pm On a more fun note, what about Zavier Simpson's hook shot? Dude is reported to be 6 foot even (and programs never exaggerate the height of players), yet he's weaponized a hook shot against much taller competition.

Video in action:

The announcers laugh every time he hits it, and I admit that I do to. It's crazy.

We had him on our Tourney fantasy team last year (along with Mo Wagner).

If he could only shoot 3's, they would be SO much better. He's fantastic at everything else...

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Michigan just needs someone - anyone - to consistently hit threes. Brazdeikis and Poole have their moments, but they also go cold. I don't think Simpson is ever going to be a consistent 3 point shooter, but he's got one more year to try.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Mark Gottfried, formerly at NC State, has now been directly implicated in paying players. An assistant coach said Gottfried gave him two envelopes, presumably filled with cash, to pass along to Dennis Smith Jr.’s trainer. We already knew that DSJ had been paid, and it’s not surprising that Gottfried was involved - he always struck me as pretty slimy.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Mark Gottfried, formerly at NC State, has now been directly implicated in paying players. An assistant coach said Gottfried gave him two envelopes, presumably filled with cash, to pass along to Dennis Smith Jr.’s trainer. We already knew that DSJ had been paid, and it’s not surprising that Gottfried was involved - he always struck me as pretty slimy.
He was an assistant on our last championship team under Harrick.

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ugh. I never liked Got-fired either. Even before he coached a single game I knew he was going to be a train wreck for the program.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Texas basketball remains a riddle wrapped in an enigma. Somehow we've beaten Purdue, UNC, and Kansas this year and yet still manage to get curb stomped by TCU. At home. On senior day. 🙄

We have multiple alums former players in the NBA, almost none of whom ever won a single tourney game. And our former coach has the #5 team in the country. Maddening.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Through no fault of his own, I have never been as sick of a single basketball player as I am of Zion Williamson. During every single Duke game this year, the ESPN app pushes me at least 6 updates specifically around what Zion is doing that night. "See Zion's amazing spin move" or "Zion with 12 as Duke leads at halftime" or "Watch Zion with a vicious dunk". I got 8 updates during last night's game, every one of them them about Zion. Yes, I get that the dude is really good. But the way ESPN is actively pushing every single little thing he does, you'd think he was literally the only player playing college hoops this year. I'd be perfectly fine to never hear his name again.

Oh, and Utah's season came to a merciful end last night with yet another loss to Oregon. Altman absolutely just owns our Coach K. I really think we're going to have to start looking into a coaching change. Kryskowiak is one of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the country, and the on-court results simply aren't there year after year.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The best is when ESPN still had a "Zion cam" when he was injured and just sitting on the bench. Their hype of him has been nauseating.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

So it's Duke, Virginia, Gonzaga and North Carolina as the top seeds. Arizona St. and St. Johns in the First Four.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Carolina has a pretty rough bracket: potentially Kansas in Kansas City and then Kentucky to make the Final Four. Virginia and Gonzaga have pretty easy brackets, but I'm not sold of Gonzaga this year. Duke's bracket is easy until the Elite Eight when they might have to play MSU. According the committee, MSU was the top ranked 2 seed, so seems weird to have them in the same bracket with the top ranked 1 seed.

On a side note, Saint Louis University (where I work) managed to get into the tournament with an unexpected Atlantic 10 conference championship. They have to play Virginia Tech in the first round, so I don't expect them to go far, but it should be a fun campus the next few days.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm amazed that Texas Tech is as high as they are, given their first round exit vs. West Virginia in the Big 12 tournament.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Stupid Syracuse kept me from going 16 for 16 on the first day of my office pool. :angry-screaming:
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:52 am Stupid Syracuse kept me from going 16 for 16 on the first day of my office pool. :angry-screaming:
Seton Hall not upsetting Wofford kept me from 16 for 16.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote:Stupid Syracuse kept me from going 16 for 16 on the first day of my office pool. :angry-screaming:
I had Baylor and scratched it out. Also missed Belmont (had them winning).

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

This is the first year in a looong time I didn't fill out a bracket. Kind of glad I didn't because I would have got busted bad on the Syracuse and Louisville upsets.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I only do brackets now for fantasy draft prep. Here are your 2019 Gutty Little Bruins (temporarily renamed to Really Crappy Bruins in honor of our 18-19 season):

Luke Maye UNC 1
Corey Davis Jr. Houston 2
Jon Teske Michigan 3
Eric Paschall Villanova 4
Isaiah Livers Michigan 5
Kevin McClain Belmont 6
Payton Pritchard Oregon 7
Aaron Henry Mich St. 8
Phil Cofer FSU 9
Javin DeLaurier Duke 10

Of course, Cofer had a %^$#^% injury which wasn't disclosed until the day of our draft. Last year we finished round 1 in last place, and climbed all the way up to 5th, one out of the money. And our 2nd round pick had an undisclosed injury and only played about 6 minutes (Killian Tillie from the Zags). If he plays, we probably finish top 2. Grrr...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

For reference sake, here's the top team based on yesterday so far:

Kyle Guy Virginia 1 Irish Bombers
PJ Washington Kentucky 2 Irish Bombers
Phil Booth Villanova 3 Irish Bombers
Zavier Simpson Michigan 4 Irish Bombers
Devon Dotson Kansas 5 Irish Bombers
Bruno Fernando Maryland 6 Irish Bombers
Amir Coffey Minnesota 7 Irish Bombers
Elijah Hughes Syracuse 8 Irish Bombers
Keith Williams Cincy 9 Irish Bombers
Remy Martin Arizona St. 10 Irish Bombers

and #2:
Brandon Clarke Gonzaga 1
Kerry Blackshear Jr Va Tech 2
Matt McQuaid Mich St. 3
Fletcher McGee Wofford 4
Javonte Smart LSU 5
Matt Haarms Purdue 6
Cody Martin Nevada 7
Tramine Isabell St. Louis 8
Vasa Pusica Northeastern 9
Rapoaq Ivanavakos Colgate 10

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:54 pm This is the first year in a looong time I didn't fill out a bracket. Kind of glad I didn't because I would have got busted bad on the Syracuse and Louisville upsets.
I've managed our office bracket for the past 13 years. This was the first year that I simply clicked "auto fill" and didn't change a thing. I chose it to auto-fill based on "historical outcomes" (i.e. how often Seed X has historically beaten Seed Y). It feels odd not really caring about the tourney at all, but such is life these days, I suppose.

Otto Phil has missed 5 games so far, but no Sweet 16 teams are out yet. So...yay for me!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Don't look now (well, actually do).

#1 Virginia down 10 in the 1st half to Gardner Webb (22-12)...

UVa has been a 2nd half team all year, but still. Hoo fans have to be having nightmare flashbacks right about now.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wow, #13 UC Irvine over #4 Kansas State. They go up against #12 Oregon on Sunday in the upset bowl.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:Wow, #13 UC Irvine over #4 Kansas State. They go up against #12 Oregon on Sunday in the upset bowl.
Oregon was dramatically under - seeded.

It was a 1 point spread.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

5 vs 12 games are known for upsets. Usually the teams aren’t all the different metric wise, but the 12 team is usually from a mid-major conference. Oregon is a 12 because the PAC-12 was terrible this year and (I think?) they almost certainly wouldn’t have made the tournament as an at-large bid. So while they didn’t have the regular season they were probably hoping for, Oregon is still a big school from a major conference with more highly rated players than at most mid-majors. All this is to say it’s not that shocking that they won.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:12 pm Upset statistics

16 vs. 1 - 0%
15 vs. 2 - 6.06%
14 vs. 3 - 15.9%
13 vs. 4 - 19.7%
12 vs. 5 - 35.61%
11 vs. 6 - 37.12%
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I'm 29 for 32 after round 1.

Got Miss St vs Liberty, Seton Hall vs Wofford and Oregon vs Wisconsin wrong.

I have UC Irvine making it to the sweet 16 before getting taken out by Virginia.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Nice comeback by Iowa to force OT. Too bad they came up short.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Was listening to the end of the Duke/UCF game on the radio. Without actually seeing it, that sounded like an absolutely epic choke job by UCF.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

They certainly had their chances. Missed dunk. Stupid foul. Missed rebounds and then a missed point blank tip in. Some questionable calls/no calls went Duke’s way, but that’s par for the course.
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Funny how the refs "love" Duke when they win but are apparently fair and neutral when they lose. :P

I know Zion is a force to be reckoned with, but one man doesn't a national championship team make which is why I've been hesitant to get on that bandwagon. That game just proved it.

Historically Duke's been able to make up any shortcomings with perimeter shooters, and they just don't have that firepower this year.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 pm I know Zion is a force to be reckoned with, but one man doesn't a national championship team make which is why I've been hesitant to get on that bandwagon. That game just proved it.
Barrett is arguably the 2nd best freshman in the country, so it's not like they just have Zion. But I liked UCF's plan of sagging off Jones and letting him shoot; he's going to miss way more than he makes in most games.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:09 pm Funny how the refs "love" Duke when they win but are apparently fair and neutral when they lose. :P
Also, this isn't quite accurate. When Duke wins, it's because all the calls go for Duke. When Duke loses, it's despite all the calls going for Duke.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Perfect bracket
With all 12 teams seeded 1-3 and only one team seeded lower than fifth advancing to the Sweet 16, chalky brackets are ruling the roost after the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. But according to the NCAA, there’s only one perfect bracket remaining out of the millions submitted in contests run by the organization, ESPN, Yahoo, CBS, Fox and Sports Illustrated: an entry dubbed “Center Road” in the NCAA’s bracket challenge.

Picking 48 straight games correctly is quite the accomplishment. The NCAA says it’s the longest streak of correct picks it’s ever seen, shattering the record of 39 set in 2017.