[Bethesda] Fallout 76

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: [Bethesda] Fallout 76

Post by Blackhawk »

I've spent days working on a support ticket with Bethesda.

I have one character that I can play for hours. My other character gets disconnected within minutes of logging in.

After testing one factor after another (unequip everything/in combat vs out/different locations/camp up or not up/etc), I still can't keep that character connected more than five minutes. And I can still log in on my other character and play just fine.

After sending them all of the information they asked for, after doing all those tests, they finally got back to me with their solution:
Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Support Team and your patience in waiting for assistance. My name is Daniel and I'll be happy to assist you today.

I understand you are experiencing poor performance with Fallout 76. I'll be happy to investigate what's going here for you.

After investigating I've found that you do not meet the Game's system minimum requirements.

[SNIP]

If you continue to have issues, we will be unable to assist with further troubleshooting as you don't meet the minimum requirements. I understand this wasn't the answer you were wanting, and I truly want to provide a different one, however I'm afraid our hands are tied here and we are unable to assist.
I meet every requirement (and all of their 'recommended') except one: Their CPU requirement is "Processor: Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5 GHz/AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz or equivalent". Mine is an i5 4670k 3.4 GHz. 0.1 GHz slower.

They won't help me with my 'poor performance' - my performance is fine. One character plays just fine, the other is broken.

And they won't help.

Fuck Bethesda. They've been sliding downhill for years, and now I've lost all the respect I used to have for them in the days of DarkUI and the Morrowind project.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I honestly don't remember the last time I've played a game with this many issues. I read the reviews, but I wanted a new Fallout so badly that I blindly assumed that it would be stabilized by the time I got it after Christmas. And this was the only thing I bought for myself this year. And it's still just broken. I suppose it's my fault for not remembering that all the other Bethesda games I loved so much were only a solid as they were due to fan patches after Bethesda abandoned them.

I have patiently ignored the bugs, the server crashes, the frequent instances of my entire group - from all over the country - receiving simultaneous 'lost connection to server, controls locked' messages repeatedly. I've ignored the disappearing items, the glitches, and everything else. I've been a Bethesda fan for a long, long time. I've sold so, so many people on their games. I've defended Bethesda so much over the years, including this game. Hell, I defended the horse armor once or twice!

I'm done. This game is just so broken, and refusing support over an irrelevant technicality crosses the line - although some may say that it's justified. I'm done with buying their games until they're on deep sale and the community has had time to fix them.

And it's heartbreaking.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

FWIW I haven't noticed any connection issues in the last few weeks of playing.
Last edited by Sepiche on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:04 pm I've spent days working on a support ticket with Bethesda.

I have one character that I can play for hours. My other character gets disconnected within minutes of logging in.

After testing one factor after another (unequip everything/in combat vs out/different locations/camp up or not up/etc), I still can't keep that character connected more than five minutes. And I can still log in on my other character and play just fine.

After sending them all of the information they asked for, after doing all those tests, they finally got back to me with their solution:
Thank you for contacting the Bethesda Customer Support Team and your patience in waiting for assistance. My name is Daniel and I'll be happy to assist you today.

I understand you are experiencing poor performance with Fallout 76. I'll be happy to investigate what's going here for you.

After investigating I've found that you do not meet the Game's system minimum requirements.

[SNIP]

If you continue to have issues, we will be unable to assist with further troubleshooting as you don't meet the minimum requirements. I understand this wasn't the answer you were wanting, and I truly want to provide a different one, however I'm afraid our hands are tied here and we are unable to assist.
I meet every requirement (and all of their 'recommended') except one: Their CPU requirement is "Processor: Intel Core i5-6600k 3.5 GHz/AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz or equivalent". Mine is an i5 4670k 3.4 GHz. 0.1 GHz slower.

They won't help me with my 'poor performance' - my performance is fine. One character plays just fine, the other is broken.

And they won't help.

Fuck Bethesda. They've been sliding downhill for years, and now I've lost all the respect I used to have for them in the days of DarkUI and the Morrowind project.
That's unbelievably shitty. I'm suffering the same connection issues on XBOX One, for what it's worth. You clearly already know this, but the insignificant variance between your system and the recommended system specs is entirely irrelevant. Bethesda knows this, too. Apparently, they just don't give a fuck. Have you thought about trying to go over the CSR's head? Maybe try to get word to someone higher up. You probably won't get any satisfaction, but, personally, I couldn't let it rest at that. Too obnoxious on Bethesda's part. If you do choose to follow up, here's hoping you give them hell!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I looked into that briefly. They've made it as hard as possible to find human beings. And to be honest, from the reports I've seen from others, this is their norm.
AjD

Post by AjD »

Blackhawk, I'd suggest posting your problem (text verbatim, just like you did here) on the Fallout76 subreddit. The community there will read it, perhaps try to solve it, and your problem will at least go public (or maybe even viral).

Bethesda also reads that subreddit, and sometimes even replies to the more controversial topics. Worth a shot.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Long since done. The consensus seemed to be "It's Bethesda."
AjD

Post by AjD »

That sucks. FWIW, I also bought the game (when it went on sale for thirty bucks over the holidays). Still haven't installed it. I've been waiting for the bigger bugs to get squashed. I read this thread from time to time to see if that's happened yet. Didn't think it would take this long.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:32 pm Long since done. The consensus seemed to be "It's Bethesda."
And with it being an un-moddable "Online" game, Bethesda's sucking isn't going to be fixed by the community and leave you with a great game after 57 mods and 4 unofficial patches.

I'm sorry they kicked you in the Fallout.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

All I wanted was co-op fallout with my friend. Thats it. Plenty of games have had that, and the quests work fine, and the pathing works fine, and the connecting to each other works fine.

They didn't even need to put up servers, I don't mind hosting the multiplayer, just like I do for many other games. Thats all I want, and it seems that only modding will get it for me. And that makes me sad.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Montag

Post by Montag »

So after the MS Tuesday Windows update, it works for me again.
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No joy for me. I uninstalled it, downloaded the game again and reinstalled it in the default location, and I still get disconnected within four or five minutes on my group character. Since Bethesda support won't discuss the issue with me, I'm out of options.
Montag

Post by Montag »

This week's windows update fixed my problem. I can play the game again.
words
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Funny thing, I've been playing the game pretty consistently since opening week, and I've had a fraction of the bugs listed here. What REALLY boggles my mind is that in that time, I've gotten to lvl 39 completely solo, yet I see guys wandering around at lvl 215. What in the actual HELL? Did they find some way to break the game, or are they wearing astronaut diapers and feeding intravenously?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Montag

Post by Montag »

Hyena wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:30 pm Funny thing, I've been playing the game pretty consistently since opening week, and I've had a fraction of the bugs listed here. What REALLY boggles my mind is that in that time, I've gotten to lvl 39 completely solo, yet I see guys wandering around at lvl 215. What in the actual HELL? Did they find some way to break the game, or are they wearing astronaut diapers and feeding intravenously?
In the beginning there were some exploits that basically gave unlimited experience. You use to get a ton of experience at the Whitespring after it was nuked. Still can get a lot, but it is reduced.
words
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

2019 dev roadmaps
  • Spring - Wild Appalachia
    Enlarge Image
  • Summer - Nuclear Winter
    • New Game Mode: Nuclear Winter – An entirely new way to play Fallout 76, completely changing the rules of the Wasteland.
    • New Vault Raids: Vaults 96 and 94 Opening – For our most seasoned players, test your strength in all new high-level group Vault Raids.
    • New Feature: Legendary Players – An all-new prestige system will allow players above level 50 to become Legendary, resetting their characters with all new more powerful abilities.
  • Fall - Wastelanders
    Wastelanders will include a new main questline, new factions, new events, new features and even more surprises.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I found an online code for $20 on Xbox One, so I've decided to see how bad (or good) the game is right now for that price.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Maybe I'm just enjoying the state of the game after patches, but I have not found any issues with stability and wasn't disconnected once. I'm playing on Xbox One due to the cheap price of the game, so I don't know if that is better or worse versus the PC version.

I can see how people don't dig this Fallout. I don't care for the food/water mechanic...although it makes it more 'apocalyptic" to need this, but I find it annoying. The other experienced players have been providing weapons/armor/ammo without me asking...super nice. I like the mobile C.A.M.P. I haven't gotten that far into Fallout 4, so I don't know if this mobility exists there.

I came into the game with very low expectations, but so far, I'm enjoying it. I'm more of a "lone wanderer" type and don't mind the lack of people since I imagine most people wouldn't have survived. It's been a little slow going since I'm having to craft everything, but I heard there are vendors around...although I have no money. I figured I'd find some caps by now.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Found this article about the new Survival mode: You are either Level 100 or Dead Meat. :lol:
-mf
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yeah, I skipped that Beta option.

And, I typed too soon. I got disconnected yesterday...but so far, only the one time. :)
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

Buatha wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:39 pm Yeah, I skipped that Beta option.

And, I typed too soon. I got disconnected yesterday...but so far, only the one time. :)
I still get disconnected now and then, but after a major patch (a month ago?) it doesn't happen often. Used to be at least once every session.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

A devastating takedown of Fallout 76:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyeCdd-dl8
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Grifman wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:47 pm A devastating takedown of Fallout 76:

And quite accurate at that.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 5:55 pm
Grifman wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 2:47 pm A devastating takedown of Fallout 76:

And quite accurate at that.
Brutal. I bailed halfway thru since I didn't play the game and didn't want to sit thru his commercial. Has this game finally died, or are people still soldiering on?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 pm Has this game finally died, or are people still soldiering on?
According to RPS, it's doing fine.
As rough as its launch may have been, Fallout 76 remains a very popular game, with a large, dedicated and increasingly moneyed and geared player-base.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Stefan Stirzaker

Post by Stefan Stirzaker »

Still going. Play with my dad most nights a hour or two. Always jokes when he goes to take tablets at 730 that hes off to rake his rad-x. (Hes having chemo atm)

Bugs yes still some but theyre getting less
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Every time I read the title of the game, I long for Interstate 76'
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 am Every time I read the title of the game, I long for Interstate 76'
Of all the things that could use an update. I'll sign up for that one. Hell I'd even pledge to a kickstarter for it and I don't kickstart video games any more.

Just to be on topic, I haven't even spared a thought for FO76 since the initial. Too much sandbox/make your own fun. Entertain me!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I keep seeing announcements about the game and the changes they are making and the thought of reinstalling and trying it out again creeps into my brain. And then I see this article about cannibalism in the game and it creeps right back out again. I've got no problem with it as a perk in a single player game but something about it in this game just tastes wrong to me. :(
-mf
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I see what you did there :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -fans-cold

Fallout 76's fridge pricing leaves fans cold

Just when you thought things were starting to settle down with Fallout 76, another incident has riled up the playerbase, and this time it's all about a fridge and a scrap-collecting robot.

What's the big deal? You may recall an article back in April about Fallout 76's repair kits, which allow players to pay to restore their items. Players accused Bethesda of breaking its "no pay-to-win" promise, pointing to several statements assuring players this would not happen. Such as this one from Pete Hines (senior vice president of global marketing and communications) when talking to the Metro about the Atomic Shop

Well, history has repeated itself, and here we are once again. The fridge and robot have so far received a frosty reception, with some players arguing this crosses the line between cosmetic and pay-to-win. Others consider these items worse than repair kits, as food and material shortages are two core components of Fallout 76's survival gameplay loop. The fridge and scavenger bot are currently neither free or earnable in-game.

On top of this, players have taken issue with the pricing of the fridge, which costs 700 Atoms - about £5.59 if you buy a pack of 1000 for £7.99 (the Collectron Station is 500 - about £3.99). Still, you'd have to buy the whole pack and have leftover atoms. Or wait for the next Curry's sale.

There's also the fact Bethesda was passed the fan idea for a fridge six months ago. At the time, the publisher told fans it had seen the suggestion and would pass it to the development team. That a paid-for fridge has resulted from this community-led idea has also caused some players to feel uncomfortable.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Guess now I'll wait until after the November "Wastelanders" update (and the inevitable rounds of bug fixes) to see what state it's in before maybe jumping back in. :(
-mf
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:51 am https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... -fans-cold
The fridge and scavenger bot are currently neither free or earnable in-game.
That's actually false as you can earn Atoms in game. Once I actually started paying attention to the daily & weekly rewards I was earning at least a 100 atoms a week without too much effort. There's a bunch of stuff to be miffed at Bethsoft at over FO76, primarily making a game that about 90% of the playerbase didn't want, but the so-called P2W cash shop items don't even make my list of gripes. I have plenty of free atoms from just playing the game and I have never bothered to buy a repair or scrap kit. I would be tempted by repair kits if I couldn't get some free ones as rewards from certain in-game events. The fridge would be nice but doesn't make food spoilage that much easier to deal with. The scrap bot might be good depending on what it actually collects. It would have to collect some harder to find scrap for me to want it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The cash shop issue has never been pay-to-win. Pay-to-win is when people who have money have a distinct advantage over those who don't when it comes to achieving objectives, especially in competitive games. Better guns, better armor, better information. The cash shop issue has always been about paying for convenience after Bethesda promised that only cosmetics would be in there. Once a game starts making money on convenience items, it is in their best interest to make the free game less convenient. For example, if they're selling repair kits, it behooves them to make the resources for doing the repairs yourself scarce so that you're always tempted to just buy the kits.

Some companies don't do that, but Bethesda is not a company that you can trust when it comes to money vs treating customers well. Maybe Bethesda will do that. Maybe they won't. But when people were hesitant about buying in because of these kinds of microtransactions and their potential for abuse, Bethesda promised that these sort of items would not be sold. Now they are, and they keep adding more.

And yes, you can get Atoms in-game for free. You can grind out about a dollar's worth per week. Is seven weeks of grinding for a refrigerator worth it, when you could skip it all for $7? Bethesda's counting on it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am Some companies don't do that, but Bethesda is not a company that you can trust when it comes to money vs treating customers well. Maybe Bethesda will do that. Maybe they won't. But when people were hesitant about buying in because of these kinds of microtransactions and their potential for abuse, Bethesda promised that these sort of items would not be sold. Now they are, and they keep adding more.
Horse. Armor.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am The cash shop issue has never been pay-to-win.
Except a lot of people bitching are claiming it's P2W.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 amOnce a game starts making money on convenience items, it is in their best interest to make the free game less convenient. For example, if they're selling repair kits, it behooves them to make the resources for doing the repairs yourself scarce so that you're always tempted to just buy the kits.
Yes, but so far they haven't done that. When they added repair kits to the Atomic Shop they also added them as rewards for some in-game events.
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am And yes, you can get Atoms in-game for free. You can grind out about a dollar's worth per week. Is seven weeks of grinding for a refrigerator worth it, when you could skip it all for $7? Bethesda's counting on it.
In my mind grinding relates to a time effort in game and it's hardly a grind for me to get at least 100 atoms a week. I could 'grind' out 700 atoms within 3 weeks, possibly 2 and that's if I didn't get atoms from some other achievement. I think I had 2000 Atoms when I hit 50 and that was completely ignoring daily/weekly rewards. Unless paid cosmetics really bothers someone, the whole cash shop should still be a non-issue.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Believe it or not, of all of the crappy things I've seen Bethesda do, and as much as I've criticized them lately, I don't have a problem with the horse armor. It was literally the first DLC I'd ever seen in a PC game (first paid - first might have been Total Annihilation.) The market was unknown. The content/value line was a complete unknown. It was a shot in the dark, and they missed.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am The cash shop issue has never been pay-to-win.
Except a lot of people bitching are claiming it's P2W.

People don't know the difference between between lag, poor frame rate, poor refresh rate, and microfreezes. They call them all lag. It makes helping people out a pain. Just because people pick the wrong word (because it is the trendy buzzword) doesn't mean that their underlying point is wrong.
DOS=HIGH wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 amOnce a game starts making money on convenience items, it is in their best interest to make the free game less convenient. For example, if they're selling repair kits, it behooves them to make the resources for doing the repairs yourself scarce so that you're always tempted to just buy the kits.
Yes, but so far they haven't done that. When they added repair kits to the Atomic Shop they also added them as rewards for some in-game events.

That is standard for microtransactions. You always get the first few loot crates for free, for example. Did Bethesda nerf the drop rate for self-repair components? Would anybody even know, short of elaborate spreadsheets before and after? What about a half a percent every couple of weeks? If they haven't, will they in the future? I don't know. Has Bethesda ever tried stealth nerfs before? (Hint: Yes.) For something like that, it comes down to whether you trust Bethesda. I don't. They've shown over the past few years that they are particularly greedy in a customer-hostile kind of way. They've become known for crossing the line between business and decency for a buck.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never got the horse armor as I always had a problem with it. I was using free mods long before that and not just in Bethesda games. I started modding in late 1994 in DOOM II. So ya the horse armor rubbed me wrong. Im glad it did or companies would control mods fully and they'd all charge. I like to use around 100 mods in Skyrim when I mod it....its more than half the fun.....so 0.99 cent a mod would add up fast. So ya Im happy people were up in arms over it. A full DLC is one thing a mod...most times...is a different story. But back in the 90s we'd pay $20 to get some speech in a game.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:17 pm So ya the horse armor rubbed me wrong. Im glad it did or companies would control mods fully and they'd all charge.
That isn't what happened. Companies didn't see the reaction and abandon the concept. The horse armor was, essentially, just a skin. They tried to sell it for $2.50, which would be... about right today. Tons of games have skins in that price range. The problem was that A) this was a long time ago, and B) once you paid for it, you still had to buy it with gold in-game. That skin was the first of many, many thousands of essentially identical products on the market, although with smarter implementation since then.

As far as controlling mods, they've tried. It backfired spectacularly. They saw that mods were why people were playing their games, and realized that they weren't making anything past the original sale, and tried to monetize mods. The backlash was so fast and so extreme that they backed off (although they haven't abandoned the concept completely.) We'll see when the next ES/FO game releases. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them, once again, try to lock down mods, either by limiting them to their own installer/interface, or by locking them down except for official mods. We'll see.