Super Bowl LIII

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Super Bowl LIII

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:13 pm WaPo
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday that the league’s competition committee will consider the prospect of making pass interference calls subject to review by instant replay, but he stopped short of declaring that he favors such a change to the sport’s replay system.
SI
In the end, the NFL’s 32 clubs voted quickly and nearly unanimously—the Bengals were the only team to vote no—to make offensive and defensive pass interference reviewable, on a one-year trial basis. Coaches will be able to challenge pass interference that is called or not called in the first 28 minutes of each half; inside the two-minute warning, the replay assistant upstairs will handle the review, as is the case for other reviewable calls.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Looks like Gronk got out just in time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That was literally the first think I thought when I heard this on the drive home on Tuesday.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 am To be fair, Gronk also got screwed on a lot of PI calls.
And got away with a lot of push-offs. Way, way, way more push-offs than PIs he got screwed on.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
stessier

Post by stessier »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 am To be fair, Gronk also got screwed on a lot of PI calls.
And got away with a lot of push-offs. Way, way, way more push-offs than PIs he got screwed on.
Heh. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

I don't think it would make a ton of difference either way. At most it will effect 6 plays per game for 56 of the 60 minutes. The smart coaches will benefit more than those who challenge a ball spot in the first quarter. Should be fun.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:31 pm
I'd be interested in seeing a data analysis on that. Not disagreeing per se, just figuring that this is the sort of thing that's going to be heavily shaped by fan interests and small sample sizes.
Black Lives Matter.
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

You do the math on the times he got screwed on PI calls and I'll think about doing the math on the push-offs.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'll do the alfredo.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Looking for Group? Brady's prank is he is a multiplayer online gamer?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ego much?... wow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:13 pm Looking for Group? Brady's prank is he is a multiplayer online gamer?
WaPo
the #LFG hashtag, an abbreviation of the Pats’ “let’s f----- go” rallying cry
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My bad. I should have known he was saying he was throwing his hat in for his run for POTUS in 2020.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:14 pm Ego much?... wow
What's so egregious about this ego display? Seems like a run of the mill, not terribly funny April Fool's joke.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:21 pm You do the math on the times he got screwed on PI calls and I'll think about doing the math on the push-offs.
I mean, obviously that would be a time consuming project that neither of us is actually going to do anytime soon. My point is just that short of such an analysis, I don't think subjective judgments are especially likely to be reliable. Who knows, maybe someone's already done the work.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:36 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:21 pm You do the math on the times he got screwed on PI calls and I'll think about doing the math on the push-offs.
I mean, obviously that would be a time consuming project that neither of us is actually going to do anytime soon. My point is just that short of such an analysis, I don't think subjective judgments are especially likely to be reliable. Who knows, maybe someone's already done the work.
If you take these two pieces together

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... pushes-off

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /79087174/

And extrapolate that to 9 seasons, that would be 2,700 push offs, 54 resulting in Offensive PIs.

Right?

Looking for evenidence, I find even Gronk is upset he's not called more:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2090 ... -opi-calls
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:29 pm
Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:14 pm Ego much?... wow
What's so egregious about this ego display? Seems like a run of the mill, not terribly funny April Fool's joke.
I mean it's run of the mill, in some sense.

He's saying what a horrible world it would be without him, right ? that's the "Gotcha-April FOooooOls" part...

So, to me that's clearly born out of the 'aren't I great' garden. I mean, if FoxSports made the fake announcement, that would be a 'Gotcha-April Fools' I would describe the way you put it.... but Brady himself crafting it and delivering it (and I realize that's part of the Gotcha-Gravity of the whole thing) doesn't sit right to me.

Almost as if I told my kids this morning that I was leaving our house and my marriage and it's all because of THEM... waited a second... then yelled "April Fools!".

I'm in the position to make that big 'Gotcha!' moment, but it's just more cruel than it is funny, so I'd never do that.

TB's in a position to do that to all his fans and he thinks it's funny, cause how much people think he's so awesome... is how it comes across to me.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

One of Michigan's backup QBs did essentially the same thing on Twitter today. Is it possible that your dislike for Brady is coloring your perception of this?
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I do have a slight dislike for him, but it's not overwhelming. I admire his skill and hard work and I'm sure most of the balls he throws are properly inflated.
But I think there is merit to it being a little unbecoming of him to make the joke. It implies another parties problem with the news, and that seems in this case to imply his great worth... which is undeniably true, but unbecoming of him to pronounce in such a way.

I think if I liked the person that did it, I would come away with. "not cool"

it's possible that the backup QB from Michigan also has an unchecked ego.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm

And extrapolate that to 9 seasons, that would be 2,700 push offs, 54 resulting in Offensive PIs.

Right?

I'm confused. One article on "Broncos guys say Gronk pushes off a lot, Gronk says he's targeted by refs with OPI calls" + one article on "Broncos try to stop Gronkowski" and one article of Gronk complaining that OPI is called inconsistently (which is not "Gronk saying that he should be called more" = 2,700 push offs?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:54 pm it's possible that the backup QB from Michigan also has an unchecked ego.
Nah. If he did, he likely would have transferred for playing time already.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unwolverine?? not likely. :P
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:40 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Right?

I'm confused. One article on "Broncos guys say Gronk pushes off a lot, Gronk says he's targeted by refs with OPI calls" + one article on "Broncos try to stop Gronkowski" and one article of Gronk complaining that OPI is called inconsistently (which is not "Gronk saying that he should be called more" = 2,700 push offs?
Obviously I'm not going to do any actual work. Even if I spent months researching this and came up with absolutely irrefutable evidence it would change nothing about your opinion (and vice versa). Even if it did change your (or my) opinion it wouldn't change the number of rings on Gronks fingers. If the NFL didn't take away their super bowl for cheating the Rams they sure won't take it away for a few push-offs. I do commend you on doing some actual research, though. That's pretty impressive.
stessier

Post by stessier »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:02 am If the NFL didn't take away their super bowl for cheating the Rams they sure won't take it away for a few push-offs.
You don't actually believe that, do you? I'm assuming you are talking about 2001? The claim that the Patriots taped that practice was retracted.