Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

TheMix

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by TheMix »

I'm sure people will be breaking that down frame by frame, but I will say that I didn't see Roland (though I only watched it once). So hopefully that means story progression, i.e. BL3, and not a Battle Royale or something else (where I'd expect all the characters to be available). Definitely down for BL3. Probably not for anything else.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Borderlands: Smash Brothers.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:59 am That's three pre-orders for this family. Unless it turns out to be something other than BL3.
Yeah my son asks about BL3 all the damn time. It pleases me.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Steam had me all excited today, since it allowed me to install and "play" Assassin's Creed III Remastered. But it was a rickroll -- all that happens when I launch it is that Uplay tells me that I've actually just preloaded the game and it hasn't been released yet. Apparently the actual release date is 29 March.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:34 pm Steam had me all excited today, since it allowed me to install and "play" Assassin's Creed III Remastered. But it was a rickroll -- all that happens when I launch it is that Uplay tells me that I've actually just preloaded the game and it hasn't been released yet. Apparently the actual release date is 29 March.
I never got very far in the original AC3, getting stuck at an incident which I couldn't get past nor reload an earlier save, so I rage uninstalled. I'll preload the new version but between TD2 and Tropico 6 I've got my hands full right now.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, I thought they'd already remastered that one, but that may just be me remembering that they had announced the remaster when I was playing it on my PS3 about 2 years ago.

I thought that it was an underrated game in the series. I don't really get the hate for it. I felt that Connor was easily one of the more interesting and best developed characters in the series, and one that is misunderstood. Some feel he's uncharismatic, but he's Native American and keeps his cards close to his chest, and unwilling to trust anyone easily due to his nature. He's also reluctant to take sides in a battle he feels isn't his. Plus, I felt the homestead missions were all really fun to do with lots of variety.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I enjoyed it up until right after I got to do the ship stuff. After that all I wanted to do was the ship stuff. Guess its why I loved Black Flag so much.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

PDF online of Electronic Boutique's June 1995 catalog. Just a single year after my wife got me my first PC in June 1994. Amazing memories. Saddens me to no end now but still an amazing find.

Some of those deals brings back memories of their own.....

Bioforge - $59.99
Sound Blaster 16 Value - $109.89
850 MB Maxtor HD $299.99
DOS For Dummies book - $14.99

Yes we bought each of those at different times. Thank you my wife in Heaven.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BydZ3H ... oxZW8/view
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Morrowind: An oral history, posted on Polygon:
For the people who made it, Morrowind was the product of tough crunch, a pressure-cooker basement environment, and constant uncertainty about the company they worked for — which many felt could have shut down any day. But the island of Vvardenfell, and its unique pantheon of gods and demons, seemed to exist independent of the concerns upstairs.

Whatever the company’s fate, it seemed the game was destined to find an audience. In the darkest of moments, when it seemed the writing was on the wall for Bethesda, project leader Todd Howard took the team to a nearby hotel for a private meeting. There, Howard rallied the developers’ spirits, handed out personalized business cards, and assured them it would all work out, as long as they were willing to keep going.

That speech, one source says, probably saved the company.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Took me 3 tries at Morrowind. The 3d go I added a few mods. One allowed water to react to you moving in it. Was great but made the water look like liquid metal..mercury. I added signs I could read. Not many mods...maybe 10 total. Made the first town and its lighthouse iconic to me with better graphics. I LOVED it then. I even bought and finished all the DLC for Morrowind. I can never go back though. Even if I could play anything.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The water effect you're describing was built into the game. It was something they made a big deal about at the time. I still remember walking back and forth in the stream outside Seyda Neen just to watch the ripples.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Apparently I had never followed Morrowind's main quest. I had become a little confused on what I needed to do along the way and inadvertently gave up on it early on and just did a bunch of sidequests, and there were so many of those to do that I never realized I should pick it back up. I'd travel to a quest destination, pick up a new quest I'd find along the way and would find my own adventures.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

That's every Elder Scrolls game.

Unless you're laser-focused on the Main Quest, you'll find yourself going from A to B, only to find C on the way, which leads to D and E - but E has F, which brings you to G, and you end up looking for H but find J. If you're silly enough to try and backtrack to finish H, G, F, E, D, and C you end up with I-Z and start creating a whole new alphabet to cover the extra quests.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Rather than create a separate thread, I'll just mention here that while Anno 1800 from Ubisoft has been available on Steam for preorder, it was announced today that after April 16th it will be available only on the Epic Store and of course Uplay. Pre-orders will be honored and the game will still be in your Steam library and you'll get the usual updates. A snippet from Ubisoft:
Following the successful launch of Tom Clancy’s The Division 2 on PC on the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games store, we are announcing today that we are partnering with Epic Games on Anno 1800 as well. Players can now pre-order the Deluxe and Standard editions of Anno 1800 on PC on the Epic Games store. Moreover, all players will be able to try Anno 1800 via the Open Beta, scheduled from April 12 to April 14, by downloading the game on Uplay or via the Epic Games store. Once the game has been released on April 16, 2019, Anno 1800 will only be available digitally on the Ubisoft Store and the Epic Games store. Pre-orders on Steam can be made until the release of the game. Everyone who pre-ordered Anno 1800 on Steam will be able to play the game upon release and will automatically get all future updates and content.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Paingod wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:38 pm That's every Elder Scrolls game.
True, but I felt Morrowind was especially dense in that respect which made it much more likely to find something and get sucked into doing it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got the system working again (replaced the RTX2070 with a retail version shipped by the system maker as "advance replacement RMA") and Watch Dogs works now. Having fun doing vigilante work in Chicago. Just accessed my first ctOS tower, going after another one soon, but will try to play with the collectibles.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying various games.

Having fun with Steamworld Heist, the ricochet turn-based loot and scoot game. Broken through the outer rim into the Royalist worlds. Like it so far. Keep it on "casual" difficulty. I think what I really dislike about this game is the inability to keep a more extensive inventory, as inventory slots are extremely limited, and you're often forced to sell off the loot, and some of the stuff you may want to keep around.

Played a few more rounds of Worlds in Conflict in SP. I keep starting this game and ended up restarting it when I had to reinstall it. This is probably the 3rd or 4th time and the furthest I got in the campaign. I am not sure I like the way the story's sequence was told, as it flips back and forth a LOT. We start with the Warsaw pact attacking Europe, razing the Berline wall, then there was a surprise invasion of Seattle a few months later. There's a desperate defense as the various national guard units fought delaying actions, and managed to trap a battalion in a town where they were pounded by Missouri's battleship cannons. Then as they went further inland, they pulled of a full trap drawing in another battalion into a town then invoked a tactical nuke. Suddenly the timeline jumped backwards to after the start of hostilities in Europe, but months before Seattle, then a raid into Murmansk where multiple subs have left port carrying special forces for a surprise invasion of the islands off US East Coast. Then the task force rushed back to East Coast, only to deal with the invaders having unearthed US garrison arsenal... Now we're back to regular timeline, where US forces are regrouping after the rushed retreat after the tactical nuke and picking off various scattered Soviet forces in the area. I guess soon there will be a counterattack.

Will probably save further exploration in Watch Dogs (1) next week.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played a few more rounds of Worlds in Conflict
I keep seeing that in my Uplay stuff and considering it. Ive tried it at least 3 times in the very distant past and gave up for some reason each time. I got the original game free with something I bought..like a game pack or a video card or maybe something off the internet. Shrug.

Also I never got far in the original Watch Dogs either. Many tries.

Glad you got your cards sorted out.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I always meant to play that. It's basically as spiritual successor to the Ground Control series, which I loved.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ground Control was awesome and never got enough love from gamers.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 am Ground Control was awesome and never got enough love from gamers.
Yeah, I still have fond memories of the way Ground Control did such a terrific job of emphasizing the importance of using terrain to one's advantage (e.g. the formidable range of the titanic artillery pieces perched up high, especially in combination with spotter scouts).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:04 am Ground Control was awesome and never got enough love from gamers.
Yeah, I still have fond memories of the way Ground Control did such a terrific job of emphasizing the importance of using terrain to one's advantage (e.g. the formidable range of the titanic artillery pieces perched up high, especially in combination with spotter scouts).
I loved using my sniper team to do all sorts of mischief. It was a great special ops unit and as Anonymous said, terrain was really implemented well and shouldn't be ignored. Wish there were more games like it.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

We were eating dinner at a Five Guys. The background music was a couple of Michael Jackson songs from the Thriller album I vaguely remember. Then the next song was "Billie Jean" and boom, I was transported onto a bike, cruising down the main drag of Vice City :D

Of course you're never going to hear it on the radio or in a restaurant, but the only other GTA song that I instantly associate with a game is "Heartbeat" by Don Johnson which featured in the radio station Los Santos Rock Radio in Grand Theft Auto V. Since I didn't like most of the other stations I listened to LSRR a lot.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just finished World in Conflict, time for me to go to bed, but it was heck of a ride. There was a darkest hour, where the US had to reconquer Seattle from the Soviet forces BEFORE the Chinese forces land. Else, US may be forced to nuke Seattle. It was a tight fight as I keep losing units left and right, and I don't have enough units to hold a position AND attack at the same time. Finally got enough, pushed through and took out all the static defenses, which gave me enough breathing room to hold the four control points. THEN it's a matter of assaulting the prison the Soviets used as their Seattle HQ. They setup ATGM teams in all the guard towers, and I have to kill them with airstrikes and so on. THEN it's a matter of getting all my forces inside and hold the three control points inside. Actually lost all three for a few seconds, and was down to 3 tanks, but fortunately, the enemy's also out of units and my reinforcements got there first.

And the final segment is an Alamo style last-stand where all the remaining enemy units rush the Space Needle hoping to overwhelm us, but our defense perimeter was set up tight, and with airstrikes and MLRS raining rockets at locations, it was a massacre of epic proportions (560 kills, 11 losses, according to stats)

I have Ground Control 1 and 2 from GOG here in my backlog somewhere. :) AND Uprising 1 and 2, and Battlezone 1 and 2 (the remakes)... and a lot more. Too many games, never enough time. HAHAHA!

Played the "Palace Attack" against the queen in Steamworld Heist. Dang, they threw in no less than THREE bosses... The big brute, the general with that super sniper pistol that ricochets like CRAZY and always gets a hit... and the queen herself, who has a teleporter and almost 100 hp. Even with a team of four I lost three. I really really need to retry that mission and bring different weapons. I was thinking two heavies and two snipers, since 2 sniper, 1 heavy, and 1 gunner didn't quite work for me. Should have kept them together for the special heal too, but enemies are too fast and some are suicide bomb type.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Colour me intrigued...

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks cool, but I think the camera would make me puke.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Indeed. Intrigued indeed. Is this by the Mordor developer? Certainly feels very similar.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here is the IGN article that goes with the gameplay video. If the game makes you think of Shadows of Mordor/War, that may not be unintended.
Darkborn’s inspirations are similarly varied. The idea was pulled together from twists on classic epic literature like John Gardner’s Grendel being the biggest influence on Goldfarb, pop-culture staples like King Kong and Bambi, and video games like Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of the Colossus.

“What if the Orcs [in Shadow of Mordor] were the good guys?” Goldfarb said. “What kind of lives did those great beasts [in Shadow of the Colossus] have before you came to murder them?”
The development studio seems to be relatively new, as in this seems to be their first game (as a studio, although the people working there have a pedigree).

Former Battlefield developers launch new game studio, The Outsiders
Former Battlefield developers David Goldfarb and Benjamin Cousins today announced a new game studio, The Outsiders, which is working on a PC role-playing game.

Goldfarb and Cousins both worked in senior creative capacities on various DICE games though have worked for other companies more recently. Cousins has been consulting after a stint as head of mobile outfit DeNA's European crew. Goldfarb was director of PayDay 2 at Overkill before he quit last summer.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Citizen! Are you happy?

Steam
Lead a team of four Troubleshooters of dubious loyalty, who (mostly) obey orders from Friend Computer, a paranoid and irrational artificial intelligence. Inspired by the classic games of the CRPG genre, experience the first adaptation of the cult role-playing game!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa. DIdn't see that one coming, mainly because my security clearance isn't high enough. I think someone needs to report Max.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:08 pm Whoa. DIdn't see that one coming, mainly because my security clearance isn't high enough. I think someone needs to report Max.
Questioning my security clearance is treason, Citizen. Please report to your nearest Clone Indoctrination and Recycling Central Logistics Executive immediately. Have a nice day.

morlac

Post by morlac »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:46 pm The water effect you're describing was built into the game. It was something they made a big deal about at the time. I still remember walking back and forth in the stream outside Seyda Neen just to watch the ripples.
Indeed. Was it Rich or Bill that wrote the "review" on it back on Gone gold? I want to say it was Rich and he highlighted that as mind blowing! honestly that "review" made me go buy an Xbox as I couldn't afford a new PC at the time and just had to play it. Funny enough, both Oblivion and Skyrim had planned PC purchases to coincide with their releases.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:40 pm Citizen! Are you happy?
I am! Oddly enough, I was just thinking about the idea of the Paranoia video game the other day. I came to two conclusions: First, it would be fantastic in a Portal kind of way. Second, it would be incredibly hard to pull off, and very, very easy to screw up. A screwed up Paranoia would be miserable to play.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing through Steamworld Heist and leveling up all of my bots. I got 4 bots up to level 8, but I have a couple on level 5 I may need to grind by going back to play some old missions.

Sally's "kill shot" (can take extra shot if she gets a kill) skill comes in handy when she has a powerful gun that can do single shot kills. Run her into range of two enemies and she kills one, then use the kill shot to kill another. Turn on Mad Dog skill and she can make unlimited kill shots until she runs out of enemies... Or misses a shot. With weaker guns before she's not as effective, but now with a blaster that single shot kill, she's quite powerful.

Deciding which weapons and utility items to keep is a struggle. Your inventory spaces are limited and recovering up to 5 pieces of loot per mission can make the various decisions quite agonizing, when it's not as obvious as you may think. Do you keep a weapon that's 1-2 points weaker, but has piercing capabilities? (i.e. can strike multiple enemies) Do you keep a gun that fires a single power shot, or one that fires a burst of multiple shots, when they do about the same damage? Do you keep the RPG which shoots straight, or the grenade thrower, which has an arcing flight? Do you keep the single powerful shot grenade, or one that fires multiple smaller rounds?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am near the final mission and I want to level up a few more folks to level 10 by replaying earlier missions. Everybody's at least level 8 now with a couple level 9's, and the captain is already level 10. So now it's a matter of playing those 4 character missions with the "lowest" level guys and make sure they survive. It's interesting how the characters have unique set of skills that everybody is different, yet you can win with virtually all combinations by leveraging the different skills in synergy. Heavy weapons have splash effects that can get past cover or armor. Assault weapons have limited aiming range and accuracy. Shotgun fires plenty of shots but scatters while it can engage multiple targets. Sniper weapons make precise shots that bounces off various surfaces. Then their different character skills make weapons very differently. Dora's "flanking" along with sharpshooter means she should bounce shots as much as possible to get a shot from "behind". Sally's "Mad Dog" kill shot skill is for pistols, but with a multi-shot weapon she can kill a LOT of enemies.

EDIT: Finished the campaign. The game now wants me to play "New Game+", but with crew nearly maxed there's not much point, is there, other than questing for slightly better gear?

Vectron boss fight is pretty nasty. He's huge and doesn't move, but he's almost always covered by shields, have a huge piercing laser that cuts THROUGH cover, and he spawns defenders. So to kill him, we have to pop his shield bubbles, and he spawns 2, 4, then 8 crystals, and he starts with 2 replicators (which we destroyed before they spawned more than 2 minions each) Fortunately, his superlaser only fires every OTHER turn, and needs to stay still for one turn to fire, which gives us a chance to dodge. But even with Piper's heal everybody's down to like 2-3 health when we finally nailed Vectron.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Getting a little further in Watch Dogs. The criminal convoy thing is impossible in my progression, apparently. Those guards just kill me in a few seconds. I hide behind a car, the car goes KABLOOM. I don't hide behind a car, I get cut down in seconds. I stay in the car and run them down, they shot me full of holes any way. ARGH.

OTOH, the amount of missions possible is... amazing. There are so many things to do you don't have to play the main missions if don't want to, almost.

On the mission about hacking into the ctOS server farm to reveal the center part of the map, I never even set foot on the premises. I stayed outside, started hacking cameras, and was able to find the code, hack the code, and hack the server, WITHOUT setting foot into the complex, thus did NOT encounter any guards.

I also did a "gang hangout" mission where I basically nailed all the roaming guards with my silenced weapon and hacking, then beat down two guys I needed to leave alive.

There's a QR code graffiti I can't find. I see the upper right corner of it, but I don't see any more of it anywhere around using the camera on the premises.

The "transporter" job was really neat. Avoid cops and being discovered, which basically means I avoid roads altogether... Crash through fences along the waterfront got me out of the search area.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I might be alone in this, but I think you should probably put your AAR's in the specific threads for each of the games you're playing.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:28 pm I might be alone in this, but I think you should probably put your AAR's in the specific threads for each of the games you're playing.
That might not be a bad idea. It would help keep those threads alive.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It would also make it easier to tell which game is being discussed.