The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Zarathud »

I learned in college backs in the 90s that conservative student groups are whiny little snowflakes. They appear to have only doubled down on the bullshit since then.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:21 pm I learned in college backs in the 90s that conservative student groups are whiny little snowflakes. They appear to have only doubled down on the bullshit since then.
Eh? They invite a speaker, campus loses its mind, administration shuts it down, conservatives complain (and rightly so). That doesn't make them whiny or snowflakes.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"A senior administration official with direct knowledge of the meeting described Trump’s stance: 'He doesn’t want another single dollar going to the island.'"
This is normal.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Katrina x100 but no one gives a shit. Welcome to 2019.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

This has to be boosting efforts in Puerto Rico to either become a state or become fully independent, right? It's almost impossible to imagine a scenario that would more dramatically illustrate the drawbacks of commonwealth status than this.
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 am This has to be boosting efforts in Puerto Rico to either become a state or become fully independent, right? It's almost impossible to imagine a scenario that would more dramatically illustrate the drawbacks of commonwealth status than this.
Completely. They are being abused (worse than ignored) and with no representation. If so many of them weren't currently preoccupied with staying alive, I imagine they'd be in the streets en mass.

Seriously, I cannot imagine. To be stuck in a situation where you are relying on the government of the United States for critical services. You are subject to its laws and policies. Yet you have no representation within that government. WTF?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump’s Twitter habits are up for argument Tuesday morning, as federal judges consider whether he and other elected officials can block critical voices from their social media accounts.

Justice Department lawyers, defending the president, say the @realDonaldTrump account is Trump’s personal platform to share his views, not an extension of the federal government. The president, they say, can choose to silence followers “he does not wish to hear” without violating the First Amendment.

The Trump administration is appealing a District Court judge’s ruling from May siding with seven individuals blocked on Twitter after they posted comments critical of the president and his policies. Judge Naomi Buchwald of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York said the comment threads attached to Trump’s tweets, open to anyone without restrictions, are a public forum. Blocking individuals from those interactive spaces because of their views, she said, is unconstitutional.

The Supreme Court has not directly addressed how the law applies to expanding digital spaces for public debate, and the case involving the president’s Twitter account is a high-profile legal test.
Among the Twitter users blocked by Trump and expected to attend the hearing Tuesday at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit are a D.C. writer and legal analyst; a University of Maryland professor; a surgery resident from Nashville and a comedy writer from New York. They are represented by the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:12 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:54 am This has to be boosting efforts in Puerto Rico to either become a state or become fully independent, right? It's almost impossible to imagine a scenario that would more dramatically illustrate the drawbacks of commonwealth status than this.
Completely. They are being abused (worse than ignored) and with no representation. If so many of them weren't currently preoccupied with staying alive, I imagine they'd be in the streets en mass.

Seriously, I cannot imagine. To be stuck in a situation where you are relying on the government of the United States for critical services. You are subject to its laws and policies. Yet you have no representation within that government. WTF?
It's an attempt to drive them away, plain and simple.

Trump is a lifelong racist from NYC. It's not hard to imagine his feelings about Puerto Ricans.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 am

Trump is a lifelong racist from NYC. It's not hard to imagine his feelings about Puerto Ricans.
Is it likely to drive them away, though? Emotionally that makes sense. But logically if they become independent they have even less claim to U.S. support, whereas if they became a state a lot of this would become automatic (and they would have federal representation). Plus I imagine that statehood would be more of a direct FU to Trump.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am
Is it likely to drive them away, though? Emotionally that makes sense. But logically if they become independent they have even less claim to U.S. support, whereas if they became a state a lot of this would become automatic (and they would have federal representation). Plus I imagine that statehood would be more of a direct FU to Trump.
I dunno.

I seem to recall that PR rejects statehood whenever it comes to a referendum. I don't know if there's an independence movement of any size.

The main point, of course, is that Trump hates brown people, especially brown people who criticize or embarrass him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am
I dunno.

I seem to recall that PR rejects statehood whenever it comes to a referendum. I don't know if there's an independence movement of any size.

The main point, of course, is that Trump hates brown people, especially brown people who criticize or embarrass him.
The plurality has supported continued Commonwealth status, I think. The last referendum actually voted for statehood, although the pro-independence people boycotted the last referendum. That also complicates assessing public opinion on the island, although I would assume that if pro-independence people thought that they were likely to win the vote they wouldn't have boycotted.

Intuitively I would think that the "continued commonwealth status" support will shrink, and I just don't know whether that support will break more towards statehood or independence.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:22 am

tRump is a Jet all the way.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Let's pretend for a moment that Obama did this and think of what the reaction would have been from literally EVERY conservative, shall we?

U.S. approved secret nuclear power work for Saudi Arabia
U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has approved six secret authorizations by companies to sell nuclear power technology and assistance to Saudi Arabia, according to a copy of a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

The Trump administration has quietly pursued a wider deal on sharing U.S. nuclear power technology with Saudi Arabia, which aims to build at least two nuclear power plants. Several countries including the United States, South Korea and Russia are in competition for that deal, and the winners are expected to be announced later this year by Saudi Arabia.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:29 am Let's pretend for a moment that Obama did this and think of what the reaction would have been from literally EVERY conservative, shall we?

U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry has approved six secret authorizations by companies to sell nuclear power technology and assistance to Saudi Arabia, according to a copy of a document seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

The Trump administration has quietly pursued a wider deal on sharing U.S. nuclear power technology with Saudi Arabia, which aims to build at least two nuclear power plants. Several countries including the United States, South Korea and Russia are in competition for that deal, and the winners are expected to be announced later this year by Saudi Arabia.
What could go wrong?
Black Lives Matter.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:29 am Let's pretend for a moment that Obama did this and think of what the reaction would have been from literally EVERY conservative, shall we?

Are we so far down the road to Shitsville that this will even register a blip in the public consciousness?

And no, of course a country with the world's second largest reserves of oil wouldn't use nuclear power to develop nuclear weapons. It's not like their entire economy is founded on the idea of supplying the world with fossil fuels or anything. The always forward thinking Saudis are just looking to diversify; Green New Deal Middle Eastern Style! Nothing shady, scouts honor.
But yeah let's go ahead and keep that a secret just cuz.

Also Rick Perry sucks.
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Hasn't the that been on the top of the chopping block from the EPA with his personal commitment as a job killer since day one?

OO archives says....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93563&p=2451669#p2451669

There we go... He was ignored and now he's taking credit in a speech...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93563&p=2487488#p2487488

Always putting the P, the O, and the S in POTUS.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Even better, every Trump budget has massively cut this program, and each year Congress has ignored him and funded it.

Trump is taking a victory lap for Congress ignoring his demands.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:31 pm
Even better, every Trump budget has massively cut this program, and each year Congress has ignored him and funded it.

Trump is taking a victory lap for Congress ignoring his demands.
Trump's Great Lakes whoppers. Just in case anyone here is keeping score.

"Trump is also wrong about his geography. While the Great Lakes are indeed big, they’re not exceptionally deep."
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

More great use of executive time.
Trump tweeted, "In honor of his past service to our Country, Navy Seal #EddieGallagher will soon be moved to less restrictive confinement while he awaits his day in court. Process should move quickly!

Gallagher has been charged with various violations of the Uniform Code of Military Justice while deployed to Mosul, Iraq, in 2017. He has been accused of stabbing and murdering a wounded person, shooting at noncombatants and posing for a photo and performing his re-enlistment ceremony next to a dead body.

Several dozen members of Congress, led by South Carolina Republican Rep. Ralph Norman, have been pushing to move Gallagher as he awaits trial in May.
Norman said Friday on Twitter he had spoken with Trump about moving Gallagher and that it was "appropriate that he be treated as a decorated soldier who still has the presumption of innocence." Austin Livingston, a spokesman for Norman, said he did not have any details about the timing of Gallagher's relocation and said the congressman was not taking a position on Gallagher's guilt or innocence.

I'm not that versed in military justice but my understanding was that sitting in the brig wasn't supposed to be an enjoyable experience and that the "presumption of innocence" afforded to members of the military in the military justice system was not the same as civilians in the civilian system. But hey, this guy is accused of terrorizing brownies so...dog whistle.

Or are all seamen/airmen/soldiers/etc awaiting trial and "presumed innocent" going to get the same treatment and less restrictive confinement? Just all the "decorated" ones?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Hell, what about all the people sitting in jail for months awaiting trial because they can't afford bail?
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I read about the Great Lakes and other whoppers this morning in this WaPo article about him rushing in to solve problems of his own making: It'll happen fast
-mf
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Chaz wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:07 pm Hell, what about all the people sitting in jail for months awaiting trial because they can't afford bail?
Or those stuck under a bridge in El Paso.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States of America.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Quick--someone remind him that 'them' taking from 'us' is the part you're supposed to obliquely let people infer, not the part you say out loud.

Also, of course this number is wildly inaccurate.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They got gold plated paper towels.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

It's really hard to find out how much has been spent there.

This article makes it look like the US only spent $6B as of 11/12/18, but was looking to authorize $55B more.
The federal government has spent $6 billion on disaster relief efforts since Hurricane Maria devastated the island last year, according to FEMA. The federal government is estimated to spend more than $55 billion on Maria’s recovery, with Congress preparing to pass new spending bills in December.
But Schumer wrote an op-ed this weekend saying there was still $20B sitting unspent from an authorization 18 months ago.
ABC News wrote:Over the weekend, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer penned an op-ed in The New York Daily News, saying the Trump administration "has yet to disperse nearly $20 billion in long-term recovery and mitigation funds for Puerto Rico, more than a year after they were approved by Congress and a year-and-a-half after the historic hurricanes made landfall."
This story from Oct, 2017 says that $36.5B was authorized, but it included refunding a bunch of other programs, not just help for Puerto Rico.
President Donald Trump signed a $36.5 billion emergency aid measure on Thursday to refill disaster accounts, provide a cash infusion to Puerto Rico and bail out the federal flood insurance program.

The president signed the bill after the Senate sent him the measure earlier this week to help Florida, Texas and Puerto Rico after a devastating string of hurricanes. The funding will also bolster Western states dealing with massive wildfires.

To date, Congress has approved more than $50 billion in disaster aid this fall but more money will be needed. The states and Puerto Rico continue to assess the damage from an onslaught of damaging storms.

The measure provides $18.7 billion to replenish the Federal Emergency Management Agency's accounts, and $16 billion to allow the flood insurance program to keep paying claims.

Led by the Florida and Texas delegations, Congress will be pressed for additional funding to help homeowners without flood insurance rebuild and to cover damage to water and navigation projects, crops, public buildings and infrastructure.

But White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said earlier this week the next request for disaster aid, expected to cost tens of billions of dollars, should be paired with cuts to other government programs to finance the money.

The current measure would permit FEMA to allocate up to $5 billion to assist Puerto Rico's central government and various municipalities dealing with a cash crisis.
55B+36.5B = $91B, but it sure didn't all go to Puerto Rico and there is apparently questions of how much has actually been distributed.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Righto. Bottom line is nowhere near the claimed amount.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

The second half of Trump's Puerto Rico tweet is epic, too.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The economy runs on appreciation.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:29 am The second half of Trump's Puerto Rico tweet is epic, too.

"These brown foreigners are taking the very money that could help white farmers!"
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:35 am

Quick--someone remind him that 'them' taking from 'us' is the part you're supposed to obliquely let people infer, not the part you say out loud.

Also, of course this number is wildly inaccurate.
These tweets -- Part 1 and Part 2 -- are so over the top. I know he controls his own twitter account, but how can his advisors let him put stuff like this out? It's like the Emperor is going out and telling the world, point blank, "Look . . . I have no clothes!!!" This shit is just moronic.

And it's bad enough the substance is wrong/evil/racist. I can't get past his writing: "Puerto Rico got 91 Billion Dollars for the hurricane, more money than has ever been gotten for a hurricane before". I mean, I know this is twitter, but "more money than has ever been gotten"??? It's just embarrassing that this guy is the elected leader of the free world. Fucking mortifying.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Barr summary report FULLY EXONERATED Trump. This is just him ramping up to full strength now - because in his mind, he's clearly bulletproof. I fear he's only just begun.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Is there one single person in America that didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 that will vote for him in 2020?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:54 am And it's bad enough the substance is wrong/evil/racist. I can't get past his writing: "Puerto Rico got 91 Billion Dollars for the hurricane, more money than has ever been gotten for a hurricane before". I mean, I know this is twitter, but "more money than has ever been gotten"??? It's just embarrassing that this guy is the elected leader of the free world. Fucking mortifying.
Anti-intellectualism. He talks like "us." I'm related to the people that elected him. They love it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:12 pm Is there one single person in America that didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 that will vote for him in 2020?

You really have to believe it's no, right?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

It’s stuff like this that makes me wonder whether I’m over democracy.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:12 pm Is there one single person in America that didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 that will vote for him in 2020?

White supremacists/nationalists that didn't think the act was the real deal the first time around but are on board now? Brett Kavanaugh fans? Florida felons that weren't able to before? But no, I can't imagine he has expanded his base in any meaningful way.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Don't discount idiot teenagers who have lived on 4chan or /r/the_donald for their high school years. I mean it'll probably be in the hundreds but surely not zero. :lol:
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

malchior wrote:
Alefroth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm

Don't discount idiot teenagers who have lived on 4chan or /r/the_donald for their high school years. I mean it'll probably be in the hundreds but surely not zero. :lol:
Yeah I’m sure there will be some young people who are old enough to vote now but weren’t in 2016 that will vote Trump.

Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest