Processor for gaming. Intel or AMD?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

Processor for gaming. Intel or AMD?

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Time to upgrade my very old processor (i5-2500).

I never owned AMD based PC because I thought Intel is more compatible than AMD.

For 2019 gaming, which is better? Intel or AMD? If AMD which processor?

I'm considering Intel i5-8400 or i5-9400f (cheaper than i5-8400 but no integrated GPU) but want to know if AMD is better choice.

Also for memory, is 16 GB enough for 2019? My current PC only has only 8GB and I think with newer games, that cause performance problem.

For GPU, I'm going to move my GTX 1060 6 GB but maybe upgrade later to RTX 2060 or maybe Nvidia's next generation of cheaper RTX.

Monitor is only 1600 x 1200 and probably not going to upgrade to 4X when I replace the monitor.
hitbyambulance

Re: Processor for gaming. Intel or AMD?

Post by hitbyambulance »

AMD Ryzen 5

and 16GB is more than enough
Brian

Post by Brian »

Ryzen 5 for a midlevel upgrade but honestly, the Ryzen 7 can be had for around $100 more (depending on model) and is worth considering.

I've seen a lot of rumbling about availability of Intel processors lately. Sounds like they are getting ready to roll out the next generation so expect to see current gen prices drop soon after.

This might help in your decision making. Best processors 2019: top CPUs for your PC
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Victoria Raverna

Looking at comparison video between intel i5 and amd ryzen, intel consistently have higher fps.

Also looking at some of the youtube video with comparison, cpu usage is lower on AMD compare to Intel but temperature is higher on the AMD. I wonder how can AMD reached the 100% cpu usage and still maintain safe temperature when 15% usage cause temperature to be higher than intel's at 50%-70%.

i5 9600K vs Ryzen 7 2700X (i5 9600K has the same of better fps than Ryzen 7 2700X with RTX 2080)

i5 9600K vs i5 8600K (i5 9600K is like slightly overclocked i5 8600K - same or slightly higher fps with RTX 2080)

i5 9400F vs i5 8600K (i5 8600K is slightly faster than i5 9400F with RTX 2080)

So looking at thoese results, what is the reason to choose AMD? Why not getting i5 9600K or to save money i5 9400F? Is it for future games that can use more than 6 cores that maybe can run much better on Ryzen because of the HT of Ryzen 5 2600X or 8 cores/16 HT of Ryzen 7 2700X?
Victoria Raverna

Also looking at this video, seem the expensive i9 9900K is not better at gaming compare to the i5 9600K or i7 9700K.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 pm So looking at thoese results, what is the reason to choose AMD?
my only consideration here was 'bang for buck', if money is an issue.
Victoria Raverna

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:34 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:38 pm So looking at thoese results, what is the reason to choose AMD?
my only consideration here was 'bang for buck', if money is an issue.
Intel i5-9400F is the cheapest compare to current AMD Ryzen or 8th/9th generation i5. AMD is not cheaper, I guess the AMD local resellers or the local distributors has higher profit margin compare to Intel's suppliers.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I'm in the same boat. Got an RTX2080, but still running an older i5-6600k. I'm torn between Ryzen and Intel, but I prefer Intel. From what I've seen, you are much more likely to get a high end current gen Ryzen on sale right now and the new Gen3 Ryzens are only a few months away which will also lower the price. The top end Intel gaming chips are significantly higher than the Ryzens on sale (ie: seeing Ryzen 2700x for $160).

I really want to upgrade now, but I'm going to wait at least 3 more months I think.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is there a reason you're not looking at i7 chips?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:07 pm Is there a reason you're not looking at i7 chips?
Price is the reason.
Jag wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:08 am I'm in the same boat. Got an RTX2080, but still running an older i5-6600k. I'm torn between Ryzen and Intel, but I prefer Intel. From what I've seen, you are much more likely to get a high end current gen Ryzen on sale right now and the new Gen3 Ryzens are only a few months away which will also lower the price. The top end Intel gaming chips are significantly higher than the Ryzens on sale (ie: seeing Ryzen 2700x for $160).

I really want to upgrade now, but I'm going to wait at least 3 more months I think.
No $160 Ryzen 2700X here. Local price is about $350 here which make it not cheaper than intel i5 9600K (about $295) and much more expensive than i5 9400F (about $180)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh ok.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jag wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:08 am I'm in the same boat. Got an RTX2080, but still running an older i5-6600k. I'm torn between Ryzen and Intel, but I prefer Intel. From what I've seen, you are much more likely to get a high end current gen Ryzen on sale right now and the new Gen3 Ryzens are only a few months away which will also lower the price. The top end Intel gaming chips are significantly higher than the Ryzens on sale (ie: seeing Ryzen 2700x for $160).

i'd buy your old processor off you. i think it'll work with my new/used motherboard.
Jag

Post by Jag »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:11 pm

i'd buy your old processor off you. i think it'll work with my new/used motherboard.
I'll sell you both at a low price since I probably wouldn't bother to sell it anyway. Just not sure when I am buying. Just keeping an eye on the deal sites for now.
Victoria Raverna

Thanks for all the replies.

Decided to get i5-9400F + 16 GB DDR4 (2x8) + a B360 chipset board since I don't overclock and don't need RAID plus casing and a 750W power supply with 80 Plus Gold certification.

With the money I saved from not getting something faster and more expensive. I got a 4 TB HDD.

Anybody has experience with Fuzedrive (or AMD StoreMi)?

I think I want to try FuzeDrive that since I'm tired of moving games manually to and from my 500 GB SSD manually. I think I'll combine the new 4 TB with my 500 GB SSD into a virtual SSD drive and also move my old 2 TB HDD for torrenting so that it'll not be automove to SSD and also as a backup of data on the virtual SSD in case the SSD or the 4 TB fail and cause me to lose all data on them. The odd of two drives fail at the same time is lower and alter I can also replace the 2 TB drive and the SSD when I have money to spare.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

it cracks me up when people (around my age) call for my help because their hard drive crashed bemoaning 'they lost their music'. well it's not like you acquired it legally in the first place...
Victoria Raverna

hitbyambulance wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:08 pm it cracks me up when people (around my age) call for my help because their hard drive crashed bemoaning 'they lost their music'. well it's not like you acquired it legally in the first place...
People still pirate music? Use Spotify! :)

Still reading on Fuzedrive/StoreMi and seem like the risk of it failing due to a power failure is not low. If there is a power failure and it detects error, it'll stop auto mounting the virtual drive. You can force it to mount by using CLI but that require able to boot into Windows to do it. If the boot drive is part of the virtual drive then it is much harder to force it to mount after a failure. One option is to force it to always mount which can be done using CLI to prevent the problem. I'm not worrying about data loss, I have plenty of backup of my important files. All games can be downloaded from Steam and other source. I just don't want to have to reinstall everything because of a power blackout or system crashes.

Alternative to that is to use a cache software like Primocache that can use the SSD as L2 cache. The risk of a power blackout or system crashes is that the cache on SSD need to be repopulated. So instead of having to reinstall when there is a corruption to the data on SSD, I just need to suffer a HDD level of speed until the cache fill up again.

Or I can just do thing manually. Install OS on SSD. Move games that I am playing that can run much better on SSD to SSD manually. Move it back to HDD when I'm done playing.