Borderlands 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Borderlands 3 announced, trailer, no date. Also: remasters of all three originals

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 pm Yep, Epic. I'm still getting it, of course. My son won't be happy that he can't use his saved up Steam cards, though.
Around here steam gift cards are as good as cash, so I am sure something can be worked out if you want.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Re: Borderlands 3 announced, trailer, no date. Also: remasters of all three originals

Post by rittchard »

I haven't played much BL for quite a while and I think I missed the pre-sequel entirely. If I were to fire it up again, any recommendation on which one to go with, keeping in mind I'm more of an ARPG/Diablo/loot whore type of player than anything else (and also one of the only 2 fans of Hellgate London lol)?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:58 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:37 pm Yep, Epic. I'm still getting it, of course. My son won't be happy that he can't use his saved up Steam cards, though.
Around here steam gift cards are as good as cash, so I am sure something can be worked out if you want.
I'll hit him up about it later. Thanks.

That is one downside of competition for Steam, it seems. Steam cards aren't quite as perfect a gift for birthdays and Christmases as they used to be!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

rittchard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:05 pm I haven't played much BL for quite a while and I think I missed the pre-sequel entirely. If I were to fire it up again, any recommendation on which one to go with, keeping in mind I'm more of an ARPG/Diablo/loot whore type of player than anything else (and also one of the only 2 fans of Hellgate London lol)?
Hi, other Hellgate: London fan here (speaking of the original, not the re-release/reboot whatever). BL2 is still awesome. My older son and I just played it through in co-op last year and had a lot of fun with it. The pre-sequel is good too, but I prefer BL2 for more random mayhem. I haven't touched 1 since 2 came out so I don't remember it all that well now, but I can't say I ever really found fault with it at the time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

As Coop said, #2 is great. It's the best of the bunch, but I enjoyed every one of them. They are so much fun, I could easily play any of them again all the way through today. They kind of lack any enemy ai, which wasn't a problem for me the first hundreds of hours I played, looting and trying character builds, but it's 2019. I hope the ai does more than charge at you into your line of fire with the new one.

That said, it's possible some of the enemy ai did things like dodge or move to the side slightly. Still, not great.

That's outside of boss fights, which usually had a few tricks up their sleeves, scripted or no.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

BL1 was a great game. It was (still is) first person Diablo. It did everything right.

Borderlands 2 took that and improved on almost every facet.

The Pre-Sequel was Borderlands 2, but with some new twists that just didn't work as well.

As to which one to play, it depends. BL2 was the best. If you were going to play only one of them, play BL2. On the other hand, if you're the type that cares about continuity, it's worth a single playthough of BL1 first. BL2 really is a sequel. The events of the first game set up the second. The four playable characters in the first one are the major NPCs of the second. There are a lot of reveals and major character moments that will lose most of their meaning without the context of BL1, and it will weaken the villain.

Really a spoiler for BL2.
Spoiler:
Nothing made me hate Jack more than him making me kill Bloodwing! That would have meant very little if I hadn't gotten to know him so well in BL1.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:09 am Yeah, 6 month exclusive for Epic. So...February 2020 for STEAM? Also, F exclusives.
Ars says April 2020.
Borderlands 3 is the latest high-profile game to announce that it is ignoring Steam and other PC platforms in favor of an exclusive launch on the Epic Games Store. Developer Gearbox Software and publisher 2K revealed this morning that the game will be an Epic exclusive from its Sept. 13 launch through April 2020.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Odd.

I installed the new enhanced version of BL1. Definitely noticeably better graphics. Also a few tweaks to menus and gameplay (you don't have to click on ammo and money any more to pick it up!!!!!). However, my "legacy" BL1 also installed a nearly 13g update. But it doesn't seem to have done anything. At least not that I could tell in my very brief poking around.

BL2 got the same ~13g update too. But I haven't fired it up to see what's what yet.

And since I don't currently have a 4k-capable monitor, I may not be able to see much difference anyway.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my base copy of Borderlands got upgraded to the GOTY version as well (not that i intend to go back to it ever). remotely installing "Borderlands GOTY Enhanced" now
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Two things to note with the BL1 Enhanced: 1) you can import your characters from BL1, and 2) a significant number of achievements won't port over (if you care about that).

Oh, and you can actually import the same character multiple times. If for some reason you want multiple copies of the same character. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 pm Two things to note with the BL1 Enhanced: 1) you can import your characters from BL1, and 2) a significant number of achievements won't port over (if you care about that).

Oh, and you can actually import the same character multiple times. If for some reason you want multiple copies of the same character. :D
if you import, do you still get the two random weapons?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Huh? Random weapons? I guess I missed that. I have no idea. I guess I can import the same character twice and compare inventories...

Edit: No. Imported characters have whatever they had in the legacy game. I did create a new character and got 2 legendary weapons in my backpack. That's pretty sweet. Though it's unlikely I'll be starting a new game any time soon. But it's a nice incentive for someone that hasn't played it yet.

Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:51 pm Two things to note with the BL1 Enhanced: 1) you can import your characters from BL1, and 2) a significant number of achievements won't port over (if you care about that).

They've also added the ability to use Golden Keys, just in case you've got a couple (hundred) of those left over from BL2... I ran across the first chest as soon as I got to Fyrestone.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:34 pm

They've also added the ability to use Golden Keys, just in case you've got a couple (hundred) of those left over from BL2... I ran across the first chest as soon as I got to Fyrestone.
Good to know. I've used up a couple hundred, but still have 150 or so kicking around (I believe).

Black Lives Matter

morlac

Post by morlac »

TheMix wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:29 am Looks like we are finally getting another melee character. I don't count Krieg because he didn't seem to work well at all as melee (at least not for me).
But then what the hell do you do with the 1 billion guns that drop? Melee in Borderlands is not for me :).
morlac

Post by morlac »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:13 pm
rittchard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:05 pm I haven't played much BL for quite a while and I think I missed the pre-sequel entirely. If I were to fire it up again, any recommendation on which one to go with, keeping in mind I'm more of an ARPG/Diablo/loot whore type of player than anything else (and also one of the only 2 fans of Hellgate London lol)?
Hi, other Hellgate: London fan here (speaking of the original, not the re-release/reboot whatever). BL2 is still awesome. My older son and I just played it through in co-op last year and had a lot of fun with it. The pre-sequel is good too, but I prefer BL2 for more random mayhem. I haven't touched 1 since 2 came out so I don't remember it all that well now, but I can't say I ever really found fault with it at the time.
Sorry coop but i am Hellgate Fan #2, we can expand the roster to 3 though.

Yes, jump into BL2. It's bigger and better. I have yet to even boot up the Pre-Sequel but prolly will now with the remake.
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Thanks for the tips!

I just checked and Steam had some crazy sale to get (or complete since I had BL2) the Handsome Collection for $13 so I went ahead and got it. Seemed like a no-brainer with the amount of content they listed.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

So, it appears that while you can use Golden Keys now in BL1E, it is not code-entering friendly. At least for me. It didn't want to accept a pasted code; and I didn't want to manually type the codes. So I logged into BL2 and entered the new (to me) codes. Also, BL1E doesn't show you how many keys you have left after using one.

And, just in case anyone isn't aware, the best resource for keys, that I'm aware of, is http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key. Even looks like they have a few new skins available.

Black Lives Matter

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

couldn't initially get Borderlands Enhanced to run at my 4:3 (1280x1024) monitor resolution - everything was all horizontally squished and i couldn't increase the vertical resolution beyond 800 - had to go into the config file and manually alter it.
Liam9654

Post by Liam9654 »

I look forward to 3 parts, I'm a big fan of this series!

The only thing you can explain is desirable in the cartoons, what is the difference in graphics between 2 of what is now and the reworked version of what is coming soon?
Last edited by LawBeefaroni on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Sig with link removed pending further action...
morlac

Post by morlac »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 am couldn't initially get Borderlands Enhanced to run at my 4:3 (1280x1024) monitor resolution - everything was all horizontally squished and i couldn't increase the vertical resolution beyond 800 - had to go into the config file and manually alter it.
Well it's an old game but not an antique one! :)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did you flip the lever to Channel 3?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And to be all technical, that's a 5:4 monitor, not a 4:3.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 pm And to be all technical, that's a 5:4 monitor, not a 4:3.
thank you
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 pm Did you flip the lever to Channel 3?
that's on the console, not on the TV!
morlac wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:24 pm Well it's an old game but not an antique one! :)
this 19" monitor also has a VGA connection, no DVI (much less DisplayPort or HDMI). 14 years old this year! it also has composite and SVGA inputs for consoles or whatever, and an internal analog TV tuner. got it off Craigslist in 2008 or 2009 for $25 when my CRT died. i get to be the person on this board using the oldest monitor. i have a Dell 27" 4K monitor sitting here ready to be used, but... ok i don't know why i'm not using it.

i'm finding that more games are not testing 4:35:4 monitors anymore - Strafe lops off the sides of the display no matter what resolution is selected. (filed a defect with the developer, but they seem uninterested in fixing it.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/14/18310 ... box-one-pc
Borderlands 3 brings back Ashly Burch in her first big role
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yay!!! Yay!!!! Yay!!!!

:D

Black Lives Matter

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I need to replay the whole thing... AFTER I am done with Watch Dogs. THEN I can try the rest of my backlog. Hahaha. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A bunch of streamers on Twitch (and elsewhere?) are showing off the game at some sort of Gearbox event today, so I presume there will be a bunch of gameplay videos floating around afterward.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

So salty. I wonder why? :coffee:

Enlarge Image

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

From what I recall they digitally altered his voice so much that it wasn't recognizable as him anyway.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The real question is, did they get the original voice actor for Steve?

Heyooooo!
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier

Post by stessier »

Here's a bit of actual game play. At one point the guy playing starts just opening chests - as one does - and they told him it was a demo and to move along I was amused.

They also mention there is instanced loot and difficulty. I don't play any other shooters, so don't know how common that is, but it seems pretty smart to include.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Word is that there is going to be a free(?) DLC for Borderlands 2 (Commander Lilith & The Fight For Sanctuary) that adds new content serving as a bridge to Borderlands 3.
Return to the award winning shooter-looter for a new adventure that sets the stage for the upcoming Borderlands 3. Sanctuary is under siege, the Vault’s map has been stolen and a toxic gas is poisoning Pandora. Fight new bosses, explore new zones, get new loot (including an entirely new tier beyond Legendary) and join up with Lilith and the Crimson Raiders to take on a deranged villain hell-bent on ruling the planet

Returning players can pursue an increased level cap of 80, while newcomers can automatically boost to level 30 and dive straight into the action.
The DLC was accidentally(?) leaked on Steam, and rumor has it that the DLC will be officially announced/released at E3.

Enlarge Image

IceBear

Post by IceBear »

It's available now. Since it's free, it's won't show up in your DLC list. You need to go to the store page and buy it for free and it'll be added to your game
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Starting now!
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:59 pm
Thanks....was on my phone and in a rush, wanted to post that but didn't have the time