Political Randomness

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Political Randomness

Post by Holman »

This would be ridiculous if it weren't also sinister and indicative of political weight brought to bear in the culture war:

As a lawsuit it makes no sense. As a serious attempt at suppression of criticism (backed by wealthy Trump/GOP donors), it's ominous.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holy shit, this complaint is amazing.

Black Lives Matter.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Batsh#@ crazy kind of funny and ominous all at the same time, yep.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I had no idea who this bozo was until now, so yay for him, I guess?

One hopes the courts are not too far gone to swat this down.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hey, he can't be all bad if he plays minecraft.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 pm Hey, he can't be all bad if he plays minecraft.
Notch would beg to differ.
Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Apparently Nunes was on Hannity saying that this lawsuit was just the first of many.

It's a campaign to pressure social media not to put limits on right-wing content (which they pretend means just regular conservatives but in practice means supremacists and hate groups).

Also coming, according to Nunes, is a whole series of lawsuits against reporters and media outlets for "fake news" pertaining to the administration.

This is Trump's war on the press. No surprise that Nunes is doing this dirty work, since he did everything he could to thwart the Mueller probe when he was Chair of the House Intelligence Committee.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've always wondered why so many people would be so loyal to Trump, but I kind of figured it out. Trump casts a Shield of Protection over scumbags who would otherwise risk their careers and freedom doing the stuff they really want to do.

I've been wrongly viewing the issue from the standpoint of someone who has morals and common human decency, and those aren't the kinds of people who get sucked into Trump's orbit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

SLAPP!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It is a war on the first amendment. Nunes does have something, in that Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Youtube, etc... do not police influence peddlers professionally using anonymity like they should and perhaps should be legally required to do. The idea, that he, as a rep, suffered $250,000,000 in compensatory damages to his $174,000 a year salary and position held at the discretion of the voters in his district says a lot about how he using is seat.

I hope he is counter-sued by 1st Amendment experts and gets his comeuppances. He's bottom of the barrel.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Meanwhile, the Fox Corporation appoints Paul Ryan to its Board of Directors.
Fox Corporation produces and distributes compelling news, sports and entertainment content through its iconic domestic brands including: FOX News, FOX Sports, the FOX Network, and the FOX Television Stations. These brands hold cultural significance with consumers and commercial importance for distributors and advertisers. The breadth and depth of our footprint allows us to deliver content that engages and informs audiences, develops deeper consumer relationships and creates more compelling product offerings. FOX maintains an impressive track record of news, sports, and entertainment industry success that will shape our strategy to capitalize on current strengths and invest in new initiatives.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Honestly, I kind of think that we lucked out by having Nunes in charge of the congressional cover up efforts. He's not only a bad person, but he's *terrible* at pretty much everything. Like the whole Carter Page FISA request debacle - hyping it up like it was going to blow up the whole Mueller investigation, and then it just fizzled, and if there was any impact it was pointing out how much evidence there was to support a Carter Page FISA request.

I think this lawsuit has to be seen in light of that background. Yeah, Nunes is probably trying to squelch independent media and pushback with this lawsuit (though honestly I think there's even money that it's just that Nunes is easily offended and incredibly stupid). And that's incredibly troubling. However, the odds that this lawsuit succeeds in that effort are vanishingly small, whereas the odds that this embarrassingly blows up on Devin Nunes (even more than it already has) are near 100%. Both because this lawsuit is stupid on its face, and also because it's Devin Nunes, so I'm pretty sure that this isn't one part of a brilliant plan.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Right on cue, Trump is attacking Facebook and Google this morning.

There's a pervasive bullshit theory that social media is "shadow banning" or suppressing posts by conservatives. It's not true, but it feeds the narrative that the MSM (now including major tech media) can't be trusted and that only officially Trump-friendly outlets tell the truth.

--

Incidentally, anyone else find it notable that Putin's government just passed a law more or less making it illegal to criticize Putin's government?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

If you don't have open support, make it up. This is the silent majority bullshit all over again.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wisconsin
A judge has struck down the laws Wisconsin Republicans passed in December's lame-duck session of the Legislature, restoring powers to Democratic Gov. Tony Evers, if only temporarily.

Dane County Judge Richard Niess ruled Thursday that all of the laws and appointments passed by legislators were unlawful because they met in what's known as an "extraordinary session," which isn't explicitly allowed under the state constitution.

"There can be no justification for enforcement of the unconstitutional legislative actions emanating from the December 2018 'Extraordinary Session' that is consistent with the rule of law," Niess wrote.

Evers seized on the decision almost immediately, calling on the Wisconsin Department of Justice, led by Democratic Attorney General Josh Kaul, to leave a lawsuit that seeks to overturn the Affordable Care Act.

"As the governor has requested, please take whatever steps are necessary to remove Wisconsin from Texas v. United States," wrote Evers' chief legal counsel, Ryan Nilsestuen in an email to the DOJ shortly after Niess' ruling was released.
Niess' ruling also struck down 82 appointments Walker made during the waning days of his administration, all of which were confirmed by Republican state Senators in the lame-duck session. Those appointments included Public Service Commissioner Ellen Nowak and University of Wisconsin Regent Scott Beightol, both of whom were confirmed in December to terms that end in 2023.

"The appointments are ordered temporarily vacated as a necessary consequence of this temporary injunction," Niess wrote.

If Niess' ruling holds, those appointments would now be Evers' to make.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is one of those details that revises our sense of presidential history.

According to a new biography of Barbara Bush, George senior conducted a decade+ affair with an aide that continued through his tenure as Vice President.

The Bushes (George and Barbara both) denied allegations about the affair during the 1988 and 1992 election campaigns, but it seems now that those allegations were well-founded.

Other revelations from the biography are that (no surprise) the elder Bushes could not stand Donald Trump, and Barbara even asserted after the 2016 campaign that she was no longer a Republican.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Clearly, given their friendship with the Obamas, they were RINOs anyway.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

:think:
Hodor.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

If some particularly virulent, previously vaccinated disease makes a remarkable comeback, technically his group will have something in common with that "metaphor".
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Poor choice of outfit since all I get from that shirt is Vaccinate.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Vaccinay?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:39 pmVaccinay?
:lol:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I feel bad saying it, but my will to rage has really died off. After years of throwing myself at a mental wall every day, now all I want is for it to be over. I feel utterly defeated and can only hide under my desk until the next election. I feel like I've been broken. :(

My wife believes moderates across the nation will wake up and vote against Trump, but there seems to be so much apathy out there about our political situation that I really have no hope left. It's the only thing that explains why we've been hearing every day for the last two years about how "this is a new low for the presidency" or "this is unprecedented" ... yet nothing changes. It's not even a roller coaster. It's a goddamn mine cart ride through a flooded sewer after Taco Tuesday, and there's no end in sight.

I fully expect history to treat Trump as the bumbling assclown he is and rank him as the absolute worst president the US ever had - a footnote on how low we as a people can go - but I'm holding no hope of him being held accountable for anything, and I give him a fair shot at being re-elected. I don't know how our nation would survive another 4 years of blatant racism and willful ignorance. Things seem to have gotten really bad really fast as so many people who knew they were in the wrong now have a leader telling them it's all good.

/venting
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am I feel bad saying it, but my will to rage has really died off. After years of throwing myself at a mental wall every day, now all I want is for it to be over. I feel utterly defeated and can only hide under my desk until the next election. I feel like I've been broken. :(

My wife believes moderates across the nation will wake up and vote against Trump, but there seems to be so much apathy out there about our political situation that I really have no hope left. It's the only thing that explains why we've been hearing every day for the last two years about how "this is a new low for the presidency" or "this is unprecedented" ... yet nothing changes. It's not even a roller coaster. It's a goddamn mine cart ride through a flooded sewer after Taco Tuesday, and there's no end in sight.

I fully expect history to treat Trump as the bumbling assclown he is and rank him as the absolute worst president the US ever had - a footnote on how low we as a people can go - but I'm holding no hope of him being held accountable for anything, and I give him a fair shot at being re-elected. I don't know how our nation would survive another 4 years of blatant racism and willful ignorance. Things seem to have gotten really bad really fast as so many people who knew they were in the wrong now have a leader telling them it's all good.

/venting
I take heart from the fact that nearly all of the elections since 2016 (locals, specials, and the wave of 2018) have shown tremendous pushback against Trump, especially in places where it matters most. There's no sign of that abating, and the 2020 map is the best Democrats have seen in some time.

Plus, every day, elderly Fox viewers are dying.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm not sure the correct place for this one, but an interesting piece by Kyle Korver in the Player's Tribune.
When the police break your teammate’s leg, you’d think it would wake you up a little.

When they arrest him on a New York street, throw him in jail for the night, and leave him with a season-ending injury, you’d think it would sink in. You’d think you’d know there was more to the story.

You’d think.

But nope.

I still remember my reaction when I first heard what happened to Thabo. It was 2015, late in the season. Thabo and I were teammates on the Hawks, and we’d flown into New York late after a game in Atlanta. When I woke up the next morning, our team group text was going nuts. Details were still hazy, but guys were saying, Thabo hurt his leg? During an arrest? Wait — he spent the night in jail?! Everyone was pretty upset and confused.

Well, almost everyone. My response was….. different. I’m embarrassed to admit it.

Which is why I want to share it today.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Montag

Post by Montag »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 am
Paingod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am I feel bad saying it, but my will to rage has really died off. After years of throwing myself at a mental wall every day, now all I want is for it to be over. I feel utterly defeated and can only hide under my desk until the next election. I feel like I've been broken. :(

/venting
I take heart from the fact that nearly all of the elections since 2016 (locals, specials, and the wave of 2018) have shown tremendous pushback against Trump, especially in places where it matters most. There's no sign of that abating, and the 2020 map is the best Democrats have seen in some time.

Plus, every day, elderly Fox viewers are dying.
Like 2016, 2020 will be for Democrats to find a way to lose. If there are the 20 candidates fighting over who has the most progressive sex organ, then Trump has a shot. You put a moderate up without the last name Clinton and it will be landslide.
words
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:58 am I'm not sure the correct place for this one, but an interesting piece by Kyle Korver in the Player's Tribune.
When the police break your teammate’s leg, you’d think it would wake you up a little.

When they arrest him on a New York street, throw him in jail for the night, and leave him with a season-ending injury, you’d think it would sink in. You’d think you’d know there was more to the story.

You’d think.

But nope.

I still remember my reaction when I first heard what happened to Thabo. It was 2015, late in the season. Thabo and I were teammates on the Hawks, and we’d flown into New York late after a game in Atlanta. When I woke up the next morning, our team group text was going nuts. Details were still hazy, but guys were saying, Thabo hurt his leg? During an arrest? Wait — he spent the night in jail?! Everyone was pretty upset and confused.

Well, almost everyone. My response was….. different. I’m embarrassed to admit it.

Which is why I want to share it today.
Would probably fit in well here (colorblindness thread).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. All you need is a red hat and the willingness to be blissfully ignorant.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

I want an "Elderly Fox Viewers Dying" count app for my phone.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

An interview with Pelosi: How Nancy Pelosi is leading divided Democrats through political turmoil, Trump's administration

Which includes a swipe at AOC:
“While there are people who have a large number of Twitter followers, what’s important is that we have large numbers of votes on the floor of the House,” Pelosi said.
:pop:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Holman wrote:I want an "Elderly Fox Viewers Dying" count app for my phone.
Probably as close as you’re going to get.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ilhan Omar is at it again. Her latest target, Stephen Miller.

Of course, she's getting attacked by both Donald Trump, Jr. and Jewish people on Twitter who say it's impossible for someone Jewish to be a white nationalist. Pretty sure that was Laura Loomer's defense of her anti-Muslim screeds too.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Omar is correct on this. Although the bigger problem is that Trump is a white nationalist.
Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am Omar is correct on this. Although the bigger problem is that Trump is a white nationalist.
I agree with it being a bigger problem, but Miller really seems to have his hand so far up Trump's ass that he can jiggle his mouth to make the words he wants fall out. A host of pretty vile policy seems to originate with Miller.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Paingod wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:16 am
El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:51 am Omar is correct on this. Although the bigger problem is that Trump is a white nationalist.
I agree with it being a bigger problem, but Miller really seems to have his hand so far up Trump's ass that he can jiggle his mouth to make the words he wants fall out. A host of pretty vile policy seems to originate with Miller.
Indeed, though the fact that Miller has so much influence and is sticking around indicates that Trump largely agrees with him.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. All you need is a red hat and the willingness to be blissfully ignorant.
I don't think ignorance covers it any longer. At first I would have said it did. Now I think they have to have embraced the darkness fully.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Remus West wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:51 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I don't think ignorance covers it any longer. At first I would have said it did. Now I think they have to have embraced the darkness fully.
It's not blissfully ignorant, it's willfully ignorant.