Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: Random randomness

Post by dbt1949 »

Actually it was mixed in the blankets in my bed where the dogs sleep.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:42 pm Actually it was mixed in the blankets in my bed where the dogs sleep.
They... shit in your bed?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:49 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:42 pm Actually it was mixed in the blankets in my bed where the dogs sleep.
They... shit in your bed?
No way man. That's the goats' responsibility.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Eventually the dogs have shit everywhere under four feet high in the house.
But no, the dogs didn't eat it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pmSo I think..and I take it as more than a dream. I know she is well. I know she is happy. So I cried a happy one today. Every day since her death Ive cried. But today was a good reason.
Thanks for sharing this, Dae. It's beautiful.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I tend to feel that sometimes dreams can really tell you something. Back in high-school, I did a bunch of co-op settings with a group at a nursing home. It was interesting work, as we were tasked to going into the Alzheimer's ward and bring some of them to their gym to do their daily excersizes. We did this several times per week, and I learned that if they have a familiar face, they'll latch onto it. One person I was tasked with was a sweet old lady and I had apparently come in long enough to have an effect on her. After about 5 years later, I had a dream that was very vivid, and it was this person telling me goodbye. That morning I sat up quickly and got the newspaper and looked at the obituary and sure enough, she was listed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had a dream where i went to see Type O Negative play in a parking lot or some such thing. i don't consider myself a fan and i hadn't listened to any of their albums in some years, so the surprise was real when i was web surfing that morning and found out Peter Steele had died the night before. other moments like this have happened to me in my life, but far enough between that i can't establish any sort of intent behind it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Going for a MRI today. My hands are not getting well. Still cant use the left one much.

I also feel ashamed and bad. My little wife was Claustrophobic. She was so afraid of MRIs. I had had CT Scans and thought those were MRIs so I didn't understand why she would get upset at a donut that was only a foot or two thick. You weren't inside it much. I was wrong. MRIs are huge and you fit inside a small space plus they are supposed to be so loud you have to wear ear protection. I had NO IDEA.

Now I feel bad about belittling her fears. I didn't make fun of her and I didn't know. But I should have known and I should not have told her it would be fine when I had no idea. Oh well. My turn in the coffin as she would call it. Poor little thing. Stupid me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pmSo I cried a happy one today.
Happy for you! Healing is a long process, and you're in need of some positive times. /manhug
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Name of the Year second round voting is open!

I can't believe Deicide Huxtable is losing to Sharky Laguana. I blame millennials who have never seen The Cosby Show.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Had my room air conditioner turned on for a couple of days. 80 degrees is too hot for me. In a couple of days the low is supposed to be down almost to freezing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive not used anything but a fan some. Power bill dropped to $120.

$120 and this is what I use..

Freezer
Fridge
50 gal hotwater heater
PC

Thats stuff is always on. Ad to it some use of...

a fan
tv
4 23w CF light bulbs.

And its $120. Ugh. Toss in heaters in winter and it can hit $250. I cant recall summer with 2 AC on. Think $170
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 am Ive not used anything but a fan some. Power bill dropped to $120.

Freezer
Fridge
50 gal hotwater heater
PC

a fan
tv
4 23w CF light bulbs.

And its $120. Ugh. Toss in heaters in winter and it can hit $250. I cant recall summer with 2 AC on. Think $170
That's a lot. Replacing an old fridge can save you some bucks, but I'd guess most of your bill is heating water. Why do you need 50 gal???

Our electric bill when we aren't using the window ACs is around $70/mo, and we don't make any real effort to conserve. It creeps over $100 when we use the AC. When I install Wife's unit in May she won't turn it off until October.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 am Had my room air conditioner turned on for a couple of days. 80 degrees is too hot for me. In a couple of days the low is supposed to be down almost to freezing.
I grabbed that shot yesterday afternoon. Springtime in Colorado.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Three of us were supposed to fly into Denver this afternoon for a huge client presentation tomorrow. Me from Salt Lake, one from Houston, and one from DC.

The person from DC has already been cancelled, as Southwest has grounded all flights into Denver and aren't rebooking anything until tomorrow. My flight (Delta) and the Houston flight (United) haven't been cancelled yet, but it's probably 50/50 on whether we get there.

The client is a group who gets together once a year for a conference. After a few years of begging and pleading, they finally gave us 2 hours for a presentation to their group of senior leaders. Been prepping for this thing for weeks, and now it's looking increasingly like it might not happen.

Thanks Colorado springtime! :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It's only 500 miles from SLC to Denver. Drive it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:16 am
Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 am

That's a lot. Replacing an old fridge can save you some bucks, but I'd guess most of your bill is heating water. Why do you need 50 gal???

Our electric bill when we aren't using the window ACs is around $70/mo, and we don't make any real effort to conserve. It creeps over $100 when we use the AC. When I install Wife's unit in May she won't turn it off until October.
I was having similar thoughts. I've normally got Michelle watching TV on one computer, Caiden on another, me on a third (so a TV plus three PCs), a fridge, water heater, whatever lights happen to be on, and piles of items charging or in sleep mode. I'm usually right around $100 unless the AC (three window units) is on.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Any time my internet stops I have a mild panic attack.
I usually reset my computer and the modem/router and it fixes it but none the less my stomach is queezy during that time.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive told them I thought it was high. It seemed to jump up around 2011 when the tornado tore up the house and they installed an electronic meter on it instead of the one that spins that had been there forever. Ive asked them to look into it or replace it and they simply tell me its working fine and its a normal cost.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have a 2200 sq ft house with an electric water heater and my average bill is around $100 a month. It surges in the summer when I keep the house at meAt-locker temperatures, but it's also not unusual to have an electric bill of $90 in April and May.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:49 am It's only 500 miles from SLC to Denver. Drive it!
I'm sure that'll go even better in a potential blizzard. :)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

My last electric bill was $350. My stepson uses space heaters to heat his trailer and he likes it hot.
It would probably been $150 without him.
I charge him for utilities, a flat rate, but it's going up for him if he doesn't dial back some.
Oddly summer time has less bills.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

At the college of art I'm attending this semester for a marketing class, the restrooms are genderless. One bathroom, 4 stalls, everyone goes. A co-ed restroom. I had been avoiding it because I'm old-fashioned, but had to go the last time I was there. As I was leaving, an older woman walked in and I had no idea what the protocol I needed to use was. In a Men's room, you have brief eye contact followed by a quick nod in acknowledgement that as a man, I see you and respect your boundaries and won't bother you in here. What's the appropriate body language in a co-ed restroom when a member of the opposite sex walks in?

I felt un-evolved and uncertain of what to do to make sure she didn't think I was in there being a creep or something. Throughout my whole life, if a man wandered out of a women's room, he better have a damn good reason for being in there.
Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Paingod wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:14 am In a Men's room, you have brief eye contact
You do what now?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Paingod wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:14 am What's the appropriate body language in a co-ed restroom when a member of the opposite sex walks in?
The accepted etiquette is to hop in the air, click your heels together, and exclaim "Top o' the morning to ye!"

Pretty straightforward, really.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My electric is maybe $120 in the winters, but I have a 4-bedroom home. My water heater and furnace are gas. If I had your issues, D, I would maybe look at turning down the holding temp on my water heater and putting insulation on it (they make fitted covers).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
disarm

Post by disarm »

Daehawk wrote:Ive not used anything but a fan some. Power bill dropped to $120.

Freezer
Fridge
50 gal hotwater heater
PC

a fan
tv
4 23w CF light bulbs.

That definitely seems high. My electric bill during the winter runs around $150, and that's for a 3200 sqft house with propane heat, hot water, and a family of five. We set our central AC to 70 during the summer, and my bill tops out at $250 when it's averaging 80+ outside.

If your bill has gone up significantly, it could be due to a failing hot water heater. As the heating elements of an electric water heater wear out, it will starting using more electricity due to inefficiency and struggling to keep up. My electric bill in a past apartment doubled suddenly when the lower element of my water heater went out...back to normal after having it fixed. Surprisingly, the lifespan of an electric water heater is only about 10 years.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't want to go check the age of my water heater...
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

disarm wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:28 pmSurprisingly, the lifespan of an electric water heater is only about 10 years.
My last one (replaced January 2018) failed about a month after its 9 year manufacturer's warranty expired. My plumber said they have it down to a science (the manufacturer) and are pretty confident as to when they're likely going to fail. Having hard water doesn't help either and I don't know a single person that does the suggested maintenance. I wrote the date on my newest one so I know to replace it in the Fall of 2027.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mine just passed 10 years.. same age as my house oddly enough! At least this time it is in the garage so when it blows it doesn't wreck the ceiling.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The one here when I got here was already 15 or so and it lasted another 10 or so. The next one less....the one before this one lasted less than the replacement warranty so it was free this time. I think we had it installed 2016. We were supposed to drain it last year 2018 but didn't get to it. i should this year but may not...will try to do it though.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am
Paingod wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:14 am In a Men's room, you have brief eye contact
You do what now?
I suppose it's something I do and see in a lot of places - passing someone on the sidewalk, passing someone entering a store, passing someone in a bathroom. You catch eye contact for 1/4 of a second, you give a slight nod. They do too. I don't know him, he doesn't know me, but I feel like we understand each other's boundaries. I've always assumed this was the norm.

I'm certainly not talking about standing at the urinal and locking eyes with the guy beside me while we both whiz.
Black Lives Matter

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:40 am My electric is maybe $120 in the winters, but I have a 4-bedroom home. My water heater and furnace are gas. If I had your issues, D, I would maybe look at turning down the holding temp on my water heater and putting insulation on it (they make fitted covers).
I think it has to do with the house always settling (for almost 20 years now). I've had to rehang the front door four times.
It's sort of like one of those houses in the Fallout series.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Paingod wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:34 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:17 am
You do what now?
I suppose it's something I do and see in a lot of places - passing someone on the sidewalk, passing someone entering a store, passing someone in a bathroom. You catch eye contact for 1/4 of a second, you give a slight nod. They do too. I don't know him, he doesn't know me, but I feel like we understand each other's boundaries. I've always assumed this was the norm.

I'm certainly not talking about standing at the urinal and locking eyes with the guy beside me while we both whiz.
That's ridiculous, everyone knows you must evaluate and judge his package.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I never bought the pole saw or the loppers. I have not been sure about my hand. Maybe tomorrow the doc can tell me what the MRI showed and whats wrong with it. I cant use my left hand. You'd be surprised how much you use an off hand for. I was. I cant use those loppers and squeeze them together to snip branches and Im worried a pole saw ...even though its the perfect tool for what i require....would also be unusable. Too heavy or unwieldly. And now Im worried of spending that $200 for those tools and a couple others I need. I have to buy tires next week..and have some bills to pay yet. Bankruptcy said the house loan place may not even be willing to lower the monthly payment. If that happens Im in the hole each month. Shall find out about my life soon enough I reckon.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 am Three of us were supposed to fly into Denver this afternoon for a huge client presentation tomorrow. Me from Salt Lake, one from Houston, and one from DC.

The person from DC has already been cancelled, as Southwest has grounded all flights into Denver and aren't rebooking anything until tomorrow. My flight (Delta) and the Houston flight (United) haven't been cancelled yet, but it's probably 50/50 on whether we get there.

The client is a group who gets together once a year for a conference. After a few years of begging and pleading, they finally gave us 2 hours for a presentation to their group of senior leaders. Been prepping for this thing for weeks, and now it's looking increasingly like it might not happen.

Thanks Colorado springtime! :grund:
Pretty sure my flight was one of the last ones in (EVERY flight on the board was showing cancelled), but I made it.

Whew. :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I wouldn't feel safe flying into bad weather on the only plane not cancelled going there.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The wife and I were coming back to Omaha from Vegas and we were the last plane into Omaha that night landing in blizzard conditions on a slushy/icy runway. The rushed everybody through baggage claim and closed the airport behind us as we left.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Airport terminals are very quiet and kinda eerie places when there’s literally no one checking in for flights.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

found out why i wasn't getting notified about the company events (even the ice cream and cake soirees in the public kitchen area) - contractors are not invited. :evil: