For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by Kraken »

Dramatist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:23 pm
malchior wrote:
Alefroth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Dramatist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:12 pm Is there one single person in America that didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 that will vote for him in 2020?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really have to believe it's no, right?
Don't discount idiot teenagers who have lived on 4chan or /r/the_donald for their high school years. I mean it'll probably be in the hundreds but surely not zero. :lol:
Yeah I’m sure there will be some young people who are old enough to vote now but weren’t in 2016 that will vote Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortunately, they should be more than balanced by old people dying.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

coopasonic wrote:Anti-intellectualism. He talks like "us." I'm related to the people that elected him. They love it.
This reminded me of an incident that occurred in high school.

Our class was tasked with dividing into teams and shooting a video about a specific planet in the solar system. Complete creative freedom in determining how to use our video to teach about the planet. The best video (as voted on by the class) would win a prize.

Our team spent an entire week filming a complete Star Trek parody that included a flying Enterprise (on fishing line), beam up effects (which were a lot harder to pull off back then), fairly elaborate sets, etc. We were extremely proud of it.

The videos are presented and there is the usual mix of mediocrity and cleverness, but nothing approaching our work effort. Our video is presented and is met with great applause and kudos from the teacher. We had this in the bag.

The video from the final team is screened, and it's nothing but five minutes of the class clown dancing to Europe's "The Final Countdown" in his swim trunks while pointing to a poster of the solar system. It brought down the house. While our team looked on in bewilderment, the class demanded to watch it again, and it almost unanimously got voted best in class.

That was my first hard lesson in learning that life is just a big popularity contest, and all your hard work means jack shit when the court jester shows up.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:23 pm
coopasonic wrote:Anti-intellectualism. He talks like "us." I'm related to the people that elected him. They love it.
This reminded me of an incident that occurred in high school.

Our class was tasked with dividing into teams and shooting a video about a specific planet in the solar system. Complete creative freedom in determining how to use our video to teach about the planet. The best video (as voted on by the class) would win a prize.

Our team spent an entire week filming a complete Star Trek parody that included a flying Enterprise (on fishing line), beam up effects (which were a lot harder to pull off back then), fairly elaborate sets, etc. We were extremely proud of it.

The videos are presented and there is the usual mix of mediocrity and cleverness, but nothing approaching our work effort. Our video is presented and is met with great applause and kudos from the teacher. We had this in the bag.

The video from the final team is screened, and it's nothing but five minutes of the class clown dancing to Europe's "The Final Countdown" in his swim trunks while pointing to a poster of the solar system. It brought down the house. While our team looked on in bewilderment, the class demanded to watch it again, and it almost unanimously got voted best in class.

That was my first hard lesson in learning that life is just a big popularity contest, and all your hard work means jack shit when the court jester shows up.
Yeah, I had a similar experience at my old law firm. The "freshmen' lawyers have to make funny videos about pretty much anything. I wrote and my team made a pretty funny infomercial type ad for the firm, which got a great reaction. But then the winning video was some attractive female associates doing a can can dance with one of the partners.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:23 pm

That was my first hard lesson in learning that life politics and high school are just big popularity contests, and all your hard work means jack shit when the court jester shows up.
Life, fortunately, is a bit more nuanced if much more unfair.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

You can really see him searching his memory for the name of the place in Germany where Fred was born.

This is like the third time he has claimed this on camera.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

NPR wrote:NEW: An unauthorized Chinese woman carrying a thumb drive with malicious software entered Mar-a-Lago Saturday after claiming she wanted to attend a diplomatic event, officials say.

She faces charges of making false statements to a federal officer and entering a restricted area.
It's been almost two and half years since the election.

Anyone want to guess how many of the staff, tourists, and members at Mar-a-Lago are foreign agents?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:27 pm
NPR wrote:NEW: An unauthorized Chinese woman carrying a thumb drive with malicious software entered Mar-a-Lago Saturday after claiming she wanted to attend a diplomatic event, officials say.

She faces charges of making false statements to a federal officer and entering a restricted area.
It's been almost two and half years since the election.

Anyone want to guess how many of the staff, tourists, and members at Mar-a-Lago are foreign agents?
I guess I'm not sure why any of them need to be, when they can just listen in to his unsecured phone.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:36 pm

You can really see him searching his memory for the name of the place in Germany where Fred was born.

This is like the third time he has claimed this on camera.
If he says it 4 times, it becomes fact.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He's already proven he's a Nazi, this is overkill.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Maybe Warren can start calling him Adolf.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:25 pm Maybe Warren can start calling him Adolf.
:clap:

that's awesome. Seriously perfect.
Holman

Post by Holman »

gbasden

Post by gbasden »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Anti-intellectualism. He talks like "us." I'm related to the people that elected him. They love it.
I'm at the point that I can't deal with Trump supporters anymore. I have actually grown to actively dislike an uncle that I really used to respect. I'm to the point of cutting off members of my own family. :(
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

gbasden wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:16 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm Anti-intellectualism. He talks like "us." I'm related to the people that elected him. They love it.
I'm at the point that I can't deal with Trump supporters anymore. I have actually grown to actively dislike an uncle that I really used to respect. I'm to the point of cutting off members of my own family. :(
I have the advantage of basically cutting off all of my family decades ago.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:13 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:54 am And it's bad enough the substance is wrong/evil/racist. I can't get past his writing: "Puerto Rico got 91 Billion Dollars for the hurricane, more money than has ever been gotten for a hurricane before". I mean, I know this is twitter, but "more money than has ever been gotten"??? It's just embarrassing that this guy is the elected leader of the free world. Fucking mortifying.
Anti-intellectualism. He talks like "us." I'm related to the people that elected him. They love it.
I remember a discussion I had with an uber-conservative co-worker about this back when Obama was in office. I made the comment that I want the President to at last seem like they are the smartest person in the room (even if they're not), and she completely discounted that idea. Her stance was that the President should be someone "I feel like I could go have a beer with". Obama was "too intellectual" to connect with the average Joe, which made him somehow worse in their eyes.

The concept that people actually want a leader who not only acts stupid but actually IS stupid (and that would make him more successful, somehow) is entirely foreign to me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

And, for something completely different, the Trump administration doing something that’s actually good: Trump Has A Plan To Stop Fake Goods: When you buy online via Alibaba, Amazon or eBay, chances are high you’ll end up with a counterfeit..
Companies work painstakingly to earn consumer trust. But when you purchase brand-name goods through online third-party marketplaces like Alibaba, Amazon and eBay , there’s a good chance you’ll end up with a counterfeit. On Wednesday President Trump will sign a presidential memorandum to help protect American consumers, manufacturers and factory workers from counterfeiting.

Why are counterfeits ubiquitous in third-party online marketplaces? For one, because customs law has not kept up with the surge of e-commerce. Alibaba, Amazon and eBay face virtually no liability when they act as middlemen for counterfeiters.

By establishing a strategy and blueprint for change, today’s presidential memorandum takes an important step toward holding online third-party marketplaces and other intermediaries accountable. The directive instructs the Department of Homeland Security to coordinate with federal law-enforcement agencies working to combat counterfeiting of good. Online third-party marketplaces should note these efforts and move swiftly to clean up their own houses.
I know this is just a presidential “directive” and isn’t real policy yet, but at least it’s a start. Counterfeits and knockoffs are pervasive on the third party marketplaces (I’m looking at you Amazon). It’s terrible for consumers and brand/IP owners alike, but for so long, the marketplaces of the world have been effectively shielded from liability. If this signals a swinging of the pendulum back in the other direction, that would be a great development.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, but the only reason he's doing it is because they are selling fake MAGA hats and knockoffs of other Trump and Ivanka branded products. Even the good he may end up doing is only done because it benefits his pocketbook or brand directly.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Counterfeit Trump steaks would probably surpass the original.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Where can I be sure that I am obtaining a genuine counterfeit MAGA hat? I want to order a case of them to have on hand to adorn the effigy that I'm going to burn every time he pisses me off (about daily). But I don't want him to profit from it.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am Yeah, but the only reason he's doing it is because they are selling fake MAGA hats and knockoffs of other Trump and Ivanka branded products. Even the good he may end up doing is only done because it benefits his pocketbook or brand directly.
No, the only reason why he's doing it is that it's another way for him to go after Amazon and Bezos. Well, and the corruption angle too, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:41 am Yeah, but the only reason he's doing it is because they are selling fake MAGA hats and knockoffs of other Trump and Ivanka branded products. Even the good he may end up doing is only done because it benefits his pocketbook or brand directly.
No, the only reason why he's doing it is that it's another way for him to go after Amazon and Bezos. Well, and the corruption angle too, I suppose.
Alibaba and eBay are just collateral damage? Or maybe just figures he'll stick it to Pierre "Net Worth of 6 Trumps" Omidyar while he's at it?

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:34 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:41 am
Alibaba and eBay are just collateral damage? Or maybe just figures he'll stick it to Pierre "Net Worth of 6 Trumps" Omidyar while he's at it?
Sort of, yeah. And to be clear, this is pure speculation, although I find it hard to believe that whomever was pitching Trump on this didn't put Amazon front and center.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Trump nominates Herman Cain to the Federal Reserve Board.

Yes, that Herman Cain.

This brings us one step closer to Secretary of State Rodman.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Some of my best FRB nominees are black.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:Trump nominates Herman Cain to the Federal Reserve Board.

Yes, that Herman Cain.

This brings us one step closer to Secretary of State Rodman.
I didn't know he was being considered. But with the criteria that the Toddler In Chief uses for his nominees I guess any right wing loon who will remain loyal has a place in the current regime. Is that Joe the Plumber fella up for anything? I think head of the FDA is open soon.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Best and the Brightest...

Cain is a grifter with no visible qualifications beyond professed loyalty to Trump.

That his reputation is shit-stained by scandal is a bonus since it means he can never look better than POTUS.
milo

Post by milo »

According to Wikipedia, Cain was chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City back in the 1990s before becoming senior economic adviser to the Bob Dole campaign for president. So it's not like he has no other qualifications besides being a grifter who may or may not be loyal to Trump. Actually, he supported Romney for president after dropping out himself.
--milo
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

milo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 pm According to Wikipedia, Cain was chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City back in the 1990s before becoming senior economic adviser to the Bob Dole campaign for president. So it's not like he has no other qualifications besides being a grifter who may or may not be loyal to Trump. Actually, he supported Romney for president after dropping out himself.
From what I've read elsewhere the position he held was basically honorary with no responsibilities.
From 1992 to 1996, Cain served on the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City’s board of directors, a group of business and community leaders who advise the head of the Kansas City Fed on the state of the economy.
Holman

Post by Holman »

milo wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:29 pm According to Wikipedia, Cain was chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City back in the 1990s before becoming senior economic adviser to the Bob Dole campaign for president. So it's not like he has no other qualifications besides being a grifter who may or may not be loyal to Trump. Actually, he supported Romney for president after dropping out himself.
The grift is real.
Right-wing commentator Herman Cain, who is reportedly being considered for a Federal Reserve seat, has spent years pushing scammy financial emails to his mailing list. Those sponsored emails touted a “weird trick” that supposedly “adds up to $1,000 a month to Social Security checks”; advice on “the best place to hide your money”; and financial trades that could “turn $1,000 into $1.6 million.”

Bloomberg reported today that Cain, who has been a radio host and often appears on Fox News, “is being considered by President Donald Trump for a seat on the Federal Reserve Board. … Cain ran for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination but dropped out in late 2011 after allegations he engaged in sexual harassment when he led the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s.”

Trump, who himself has been reported for sexual misconduct by more than 20 women, defended Cain at the time. As CNN’s Andrew Kaczynski and Chris Massie reported, Trump told Fox News in November 2011 that the women who reported Cain “probably do love their names splashed across the front pages. … I think Herman should take very, very strong action, even if he has to bring a major lawsuit against the women.”

After dropping his 2012 presidential bid, Cain profited off his email list of supporters by sending sponsored content. (Those emails contained the following disclaimer at the end: “The sender of this email may receive compensation for the advertising contained in this message. Any products or services offered by sponsors or advertisers have not been evaluated by Herman Cain and as such no warranty or claims are made.”)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:37 pm WaPo
The Trump administration is moving to rescind Obama-era guidance to colleges and universities on how they can use race in admissions decisions to promote diversity, according to an administration official.
WaPo
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center has agreed to stop using race when considering applicants to its medical school, bowing to pressure as the Trump administration campaigns to curtail the use of affirmative action in education.

The action is the first of its kind under Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and signals the approach her agency plans to take with other schools.

The department’s Office for Civil Rights has investigations underway into the use of race in admissions at Yale and Harvard universities. Those cases question whether Asian American applicants are being discriminated against in admissions.
In the agreement, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center agreed to stop using race altogether in admissions.

Liz Hill, an Education Department spokeswoman, emphasized that the agency was not insisting the school stop using race completely, but that it abide by limits established by the Supreme Court. Hill said the school opted on its own to stop the use of race altogether, and the agreement with the university specifies that the school may notify the Education Department if it wants to resume the use of race or national origin for review in limited circumstances.

The original investigation against Texas Tech Health Sciences, in Lubbock, Tex., was opened in 2005 in response to a complaint from Roger Clegg of the Center for Equal Opportunity, which opposes affirmative action. The complaint was prompted by the university’s announcement that it planned to consider race in admissions, Clegg said.
The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that universities may consider race in admission decisions to create a diverse class but said the programs must be narrowly tailored to pass judicial scrutiny.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump was not impressed with a tour of the first commander in chief’s home last year, Politico reported Wednesday, describing his visit to Mount Vernon with French President Emmanuel Macron and their wives as “truly bizarre."

“If he was smart, he would’ve put his name on it,” Trump reportedly said. “You’ve got to put your name on stuff or no one remembers you.”

On the subject of whether anyone remembers George Washington, The Washington Post, which is based in the capital city of Washington (not Washington state) near George Washington University, would refer readers to the fact that Washington has come in first or second in nearly every “best presidents” poll conducted, including the most recent one, in 2018, by Siena College Research Institute.
Doug Bradburn, CEO and president of Mount Vernon, may have said this on the guided tour, but the “Vernon” of Mount Vernon is British Admiral Edward Vernon. He was the commanding officer of George’s older half brother Lawrence Washington, who fought in a conflict between England and Spain in the West Indies called the War of Jenkins’ Ear.
In any case, Lawrence inherited a small house and the land surrounding it from his and George’s father, who died when George was 10 and Lawrence was about 25. Admiral Vernon had the unique distinction among British officers of treating colonial soldiers with some respect; hence, Lawrence renamed the property, previously called Little Hunting Creek, after him.

Lawrence became something of a surrogate father to young George, and some of the future president’s happiest childhood memories occurred during his frequent trips to Mount Vernon.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Trump: names shit after himself so people remember who he is.

Washington: ain't giving a shit, everyone remembers him.

Also, wait, Mar-a-Largo?

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:18 pm Also, wait, Mar-a-Largo?
Mar-a-Lago
The company identifies the name Mar-a-Lago as Spanish for "Sea-to-Lake,"[10] referring to the fact that the resort extends the entire width of Palm Beach, from the Atlantic Ocean to what is now the Intracoastal Waterway, but previously was known as Lake Worth.
And, of course, it's currently marketed as Trump National Golf Club Mar-a-Lago.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Can he executive order his face onto all the money?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Alefroth wrote:Can he executive order his face onto all the money?
Or have his portrait hanging in every household like his bestie Kim Jong-Un
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Lolololol:

Hodor.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Did they Photoshop 30lbs off Trump's image there?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:39 pm Did they Photoshop 30lbs off Trump's image there?
No, his toupee is still there, isn't it? :?
Covfefe!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:17 pm Lolololol:

Even 43% approval is insane. It's like if someone said, "17% of voters approve of feces in their sandwiches ...". Yes, it's low but who the fuck approves of that?

MYT