Any 3D Printer dabblers out here?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hentzau

Any 3D Printer dabblers out here?

Post by hentzau »

I searched and couldn't find a topic on it, but anyway...

I'm contemplating taking the plunge on getting a 3D printer. I'm getting into Fallout Wasteland Warfare in a big way, and there are lots of printable models out there, and the official company is out of stock on almost all of their stuff. So I'm getting itchy.

So I'm looking for a decent, $300-400 model 3D printer and wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any practical experience in this field or any recommendations. I know they are finicky and most are DIY type deals where you assemble the base device and print out the rest of your parts.

Anyone?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Re: Any 3D Printer dabblers out here?

Post by Blackhawk »

I wish! There is so much amazing board game and RPG stuff out there that it is something I would kill to delve into.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:45 pm I wish! There is so much amazing board game and RPG stuff out there that it is something I would kill to delve into.
Feel up for a trip to Bloomington?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or perhaps Terra Haute?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I couldn't even imagine working around a bunch of people like that, unfortunately.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i did a lot of research last November and came up with the Creality Ender-3 as the best bang for under $200. got it for my dad, who had previously expressed an interest in getting into this hobby (but is now a self-defeating depressive who had me return it because it'll 'take up too much space' and besides, he's 'getting old' and is going to die soon and nothing much matters anymore, etc).
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

I got this one when it was 163€. Did some casings for DIY (satisfied), one miniature figurine for roleplay (which was't the most successful without tinkering, but who has got the time for that?). If I'd need to print more I'd go for a 400€ machine, I believe a quality improvement would be seen with that. Cheap usually means slow in addition, you might think you have the time, but in the end you will revise your opinion. Go for a brand with a good forum / community.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

If I did get one, the creality ender 3 is probably what I would get. But man, I just don't know. It's big, I don't have a lot of free space for it, and I'm not sure I have the patience to fiddle with it. That's why I threw this out there, to get my finger away from the "Buy now!" button.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One of my daughter's friends got one for her birthday.* No idea what kind but it's put out some decent toys and such. Will try to find out what kind.

*Cool story, in lieu of regular gifts she asked for $10 for her 3d printer fund and each kid got an card where they could choose which Pokemon they wanted once the printer was purchased and running. She had the Pokemon figures out a few months after he birthday.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know that I'd use it for many miniatures, save for the occasional obscure thing that isn't available anywhere else. What I'd love to be printing is terrain and special features for a session, plus accessories for board games.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 pm I don't know that I'd use it for many miniatures, save for the occasional obscure thing that isn't available anywhere else. What I'd love to be printing is terrain and special features for a session, plus accessories for board games.
Terrain is absolutely my primary goal. Fallout to start with, but also Gaslands and Gangs of Rome. I think I have enough Wild West stuff.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A reminder: 3D printers do bad things to air quality.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:33 pm A reminder: 3D printers do bad things to air quality.
I was watching a video this morning from Fat Dragon games...they used to make paper craft terrain and are now moving to 3D printed terrain. For this very reason they were recommending PLA filament over ABS, because it is plant based, has a lower melt point, and no toxic fumes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Filament additives—included to add shine, electrical conductivity, color, or other properties—can change emissions dramatically. For example, PLA that includes trace substances to make it impact resistant generates more particles than standard ABS, Weber says.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Unless you plan to use a 3D printer on a fairly frequent basis and factor in the maintenance costs, it may be simpler and cheaper to rely on 3D printing services instead (e.g. Craftcloud, Shapeways, Ponoko, Sculpteo etc.)

Sculpteo provides a useful cost analysis tool that can help you figure out if it's worth buying a 3D printer vs. using a 3D printing service.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've bought things off of Shapeways before. I may have to look into that.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Creality Ender 3 Pro here. Pleased with it. Have friend who got one to and used it way more than me. These style printers can be a pain for figurines with long thin features like legs, arms, weapons. I think resin printers would be better for those.
words
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, Modiphius finally got their item restocks for a lot of their terrain pieces, so I bought a terrain bundle from them. The urgency to get a printer has dropped considerably.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Montag wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 am Creality Ender 3 Pro here. Pleased with it. Have friend who got one to and used it way more than me. These style printers can be a pain for figurines with long thin features like legs, arms, weapons. I think resin printers would be better for those.
That is were my figurine try failed, arms and sword. The rest wasn't worse than those tin figurines with cast-residue. I might have to fiddle with support structures, but again, who has got the time? Those 3D-printing services could be a way to go, especially if you don't have to be exact to the millimeter (as the cases I printed had to be), who cares if a miniature is 5% smaller that it should be?
Anonymous Bosch

Zitterbacke wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 pm
Montag wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:10 am Creality Ender 3 Pro here. Pleased with it. Have friend who got one to and used it way more than me. These style printers can be a pain for figurines with long thin features like legs, arms, weapons. I think resin printers would be better for those.
That is were my figurine try failed, arms and sword. The rest wasn't worse than those tin figurines with cast-residue. I might have to fiddle with support structures, but again, who has got the time? Those 3D-printing services could be a way to go, especially if you don't have to be exact to the millimeter (as the cases I printed had to be), who cares if a miniature is 5% smaller that it should be?
Actually, if you want accuracy down to the millimeter, 3D printing services may well be the best way to go (e.g. I used Shapeways to print an SSD mounting bracket for an Asus gaming laptop, and it was a perfect fit).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zitterbacke wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 pm who cares if a miniature is 5% smaller that it should be?
:ninja:
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:36 pm
Zitterbacke wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:34 pm who cares if a miniature is 5% smaller that it should be?
Did that ninja spot my typo?
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Zitterbacke wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:38 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:36 pm
Did that ninja spot my typo?
Nah. Some (lots) of us really care about scale and making sure it matches.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Help me out here, how much less is 5% of an Inch. I'm old, I fear I could see the difference.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sitting isolated? It's irrelevant. Standing next to a bunch of other on-scale figures? Significant enough to stand out like a sore thumb.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

I can see your point when making a clone army, but a Hobbit and Gandalf, they are different size, not to mention no one knows their supposed size anyway. But as I said, I need perfect size for cases for electronics, so I'm with you there, just not on that point.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

It’s a case of scale. Proportions look off.

A while ago, I made a decision to use 28mm figures for my townsfolk for Zenda, and use “heroic 32mm” figs for the active, player figures, so they would stand out more. Plus the 28mm figs are faster to paint. In hindsight, it was a mistake because it bugs me every time i see them on the table.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, at that scale it can make a difference. I have lots of old Ral Partha 25mm figures (the standard before the mid-90s.) I had to put them in 'retirement' because a human knight standing next to a modern, 28mm figure looks like a dwarf. Granted, that's closer to a 10% difference, but it shows how much of an impact it can have at that scale.
Montag

Post by Montag »

Zitterbacke wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:06 am Help me out here, how much less is 5% of an Inch. I'm old, I fear I could see the difference.
Use one dime thickness per inch to visualize.
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As an example of why I'd love to have one, I'm trying to figure out a good solution for card storage for Torg: Eternity. I look at card holders and find two options other than commercial products that aren't a good fit: 3d printed and laser cut.
Montag

Post by Montag »

If standard playing card size, then note card holders work great.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... IpEALw_wcB
words
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was looking for more of a single container that will let me sort a dozen or more decks of differing sizes. I'll likely have to make something out of foamcore, although I don't have good foamcore cutter.
Anonymous Bosch

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm I was looking for more of a single container that will let me sort a dozen or more decks of differing sizes. I'll likely have to make something out of foamcore, although I don't have good foamcore cutter.
Dunno how many cards you're talking about here, but if they're all standard-sized, here's a very simple idea that doesn't cost much:

I used a two-piece 800-count cardboard deck box from BCW supplies (SKU: 1-BX-802) to accomodate the vast majority of standard-sized cards that were included with the Duel of Ages II: Collector's Bundle (basically the Basic and Master sets), which is around 700 or more cards if memory serves. To keep everything properly organised and easily accessible, I labelled around ten of these horizontal trading card dividers to separate the multiple different card types, which divides 'em up nicely and everything fits perfectly neatly within the deck box.

Of course, if an 800 count deck box is insufficient, you could always go with additional or even larger deck boxes if required.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I have a sudden, very unexpected windfall after completing my taxes. Suddenly this is looking more likely...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 pm I was looking for more of a single container that will let me sort a dozen or more decks of differing sizes. I'll likely have to make something out of foamcore, although I don't have good foamcore cutter.
Dunno how many cards you're talking about here, but if they're all standard-sized, here's a very simple idea that doesn't cost much:

I used a two-piece 800-count cardboard deck box from BCW supplies (SKU: 1-BX-802) to accomodate the vast majority of standard-sized cards that were included with the Duel of Ages II: Collector's Bundle (basically the Basic and Master sets), which is around 700 or more cards if memory serves. To keep everything properly organised and easily accessible, I labelled around ten of these horizontal trading card dividers to separate the multiple different card types, which divides 'em up nicely and everything fits perfectly neatly within the deck box.

Of course, if an 800 count deck box is insufficient, you could always go with additional or even larger deck boxes if required.
Thanks, I'll take a look. There are lots of solutions out there that I can make work. My original point (which I didn't make clear) was that with a 3d printer, and ideal solution would be a few clicks away, as opposed to something that can be 'made to work.' IE - having a 3d printer would be really, really handy. Maybe not practical, maybe not cost effective, but great to have around.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I've been watching the YouTube video series from Fat Dragon Games about how to print 3D terrain and miniatures. It intrigues me and scares me in equal parts...
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Just in time a Humble Bundle appears. You can find a lot of free stuff around the net, but maybe this appeals to some of you.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Oy. Another push. I hadn’t really thought about dungeon terrain...I’m reaching the end of the D&D game I’ve been running, and I’m not sure I’ll run another one any time soon. But...tempting. So tempting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Also build your own Char, download and print it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hentzau wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:00 pm Oy. Another push. I hadn’t really thought about dungeon terrain...I’m reaching the end of the D&D game I’ve been running, and I’m not sure I’ll run another one any time soon. But...tempting. So tempting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is $15 really such a high price to pay for insurance?