NEW PC Build

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

NEW PC Build

Post by naednek »

So over Christmas I received a Corsair Wireless headset. Long story short, after installing it, I couldn't switch between headset and my desktop speakers, and eventually I lost all sound. So I decided to reformat and start from scratch as it's been years since I've done that.

Had a myriad of issues and the main one is that my PC no longer recognizes my two of my 3 hard drives. I've tried various troubleshooting ideas and still can't get it to show up in the bios or in windows. I figure it's my controller on the motherboard.

So being that my CPU and MB is at least 5 years old, it's time to move on...

My buddy at work has a friend who works at Micron and he's getting me an Intel 8700K for a great price
My buddy also is selling a brand new case, power supply and a liquid cooler. So all I need is motherboard and ram, with the plan to update the video card over the summer and then the monitor hopefully by christmas of 2019.

Here is what I have coming now

Intel 8700K $189
EVGA DG-76 Case https://www.evga.com/products/product.a ... B0-2230-KR
Corsair CX750 power supply https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Power/cx- ... 9020015-NA
Corsair Hydro Series™ H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categorie ... 9060007-WW
For $150

Refurbished GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6813145104 $150

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R ... UTF8&psc=1 $139.99

After tax, the total for the above items would make it $659

I figured I saved 50% of the CPU, Case, PSU, and cooler, and had saved 40% off the motherboard by going the refurbished amount.

I'm now holding out on finding a good combo deal with the video card. Looking at the 2070's but I'm wondering if I should go down to 2060 or see what the new 1600's offer

Any thoughts? What sucks for me is the CPU is in backorder, so I have to wait on that.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
JCC

Re: NEW PC Build

Post by JCC »

I would never buy a bronze PSU for $150. That's ridiculous. Always buy a Gold PSU. Do you really need 750W?

That does seem like a nice price for the CPU.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
naednek

Post by naednek »

JCC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm I would never buy a bronze PSU for $150. That's ridiculous. Always buy a Gold PSU. Do you really need 750W?

I didn't I bought the PSU, case and cooler for $150
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I didn't see any mention of a Solid State Drive.

So if you don't yet own one, I'd strongly recommend prioritizing the purchase of a high-quality SSD.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
naednek

Post by naednek »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:I didn't see any mention of a Solid State Drive.

So if you don't yet own one, I'd strongly recommend prioritizing the purchase of a high-quality SSD.
Ya I'm sucking in my hard drives from my current pc

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

naednek

Post by naednek »

i got an email from newegg for a memory ssd combo for $179. It's 16 GB Gskill Trident RGB and a Samsung Evo 500 GB SSD.

I'm trying to decide if I should return the Corsair's and get that instead.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

If the info posted here is correct, NewEgg is currently offering the popular 500GB Samsung 860 Evo for only $66.99 (almost $20 off) with promo code AFM9SSD674 at checkout.

There are other good SSD deals listed there too, though I'd definitely go with the Samsung 860 Evo if I were you.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JCC

Post by JCC »

JCC wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:55 pm I would never buy a bronze PSU for $150. That's ridiculous. Always buy a Gold PSU. Do you really need 750W?

AHH! My mistake. I still think anyone building a gaming PC should go with Gold over Bronze. Hopefully yours will be ok.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Just a side note. If you think about RTX 20x0 because of raytracing, I'd wait for the GTX 16x0, as im my opinion when raytracing in games will go common, those 20x0 cards will be outdated and you'd paid a lot for a glimpse on that technology. They are latest tech, nonetheless, I just can't justify the premium they ask.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Ya I'm not interested in RayTracing. Rightnow only BFV has it and I'm already bored with that game.

I want a card that's going to last me 5 years like my Nvidia 970 did. Only in 2018 I had to lower the graphics settings. It was a beast, and it has served me well.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I wouldn't bother with ray tracing yet. PC gaming history shows it take a couple of years before games start taking any worthwhile advantage of new tech like that.

So then I'd pick the videocard based on the resolution you plan to use. This is where you need to use your crystal ball a little bit. If you're using 1080p 60hz now is there any thought of moving up to 1440p in your mind? What about a high refresh rate monitor? If your current monitor died and you were going to replace it, what would you choose? That answer will help determine what card will last you a good long while.
naednek

Post by naednek »

my goal is to aquire a new monitor @ Christmas or the summer of 2020. So for a year or so, it would be 1080p but with the plans on going up. Just have to space it out.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Well, due to the Intel chip shortage my source for a good discount isn't going to happen, as they are out of stock and won't have anything available until Intel catches up. I was told they might have some in April, but then that has been pushed to June and that's not even guaranteed. So I just pulled the plug and bought the 8700k at amazon. This now pushes back everything. Was hoping to upgrade the video card in June, and now that will probably take place around Christmas, which will push back the monitor.
naednek

Post by naednek »

At the risk of being ATB with talking to myself, I will add that I have my PC built only to have it restart every 3 seconds. Found out I ordered the wrong ram. Amazon is being generous with their return policy and letting me return it about 45 days past their policy. Hopefully tomorrow night it will be up and running
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Stories like that are why I decided just to go with the builders. But if you're enjoying the process, more power to you.
It's almost as if people are the problem.