G-sync or not?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Victoria Raverna

G-sync or not?

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Is G-sync worth the extra cost? Is adaptive sync like G-sync or Freesync noticeable compare to just enable vsync on a 144 hz monitor?

I can get a G-sync 1440p 144 hz monitor for around $350 or a Freesync 1080p 144 hz one for less than $200. Which one to choose?

I have GTX 1060 6 GB and likely to upgrade to RTX 2060 next year or something else from Nvidia that is in the current price range of RTX 2060. So there is no guarantee that I can have adaptive sync with the freesync monitor. It is probably just going work as non adaptive sync 144 hz monitor
Cylus Maxii

Re: G-sync or not?

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Yes, its noticeable.

GeForce drivers now support the VESA Adaptive Sync standard on 1000 and 2000 series cards. That standard is exactly what AMD FreeSync is based on. There are not a lot of NVidia certified FreeSync monitors, but that is mostly because the NVidia cert requires that it be automatically detected/enabled on the monitor and a lot of monitors have controls where you have to manually enable it. I have read reviews on testing at it seems that almost all FreeSync monitors work fine with an NVidia Card and Adaptive Sync running. And, those few monitors that don't work well, generally don't work well with AMD freesync either (tearing or sometimes screen will blank and reset during play).

So you can probably just get a decent, cheaper, FreeSync compatible monitor; so long as you do your homework and look up reviews on how well it works with GSync. That's what I plan to do since I'm in the market for a 4K monitor to pair with my new RTX card.

Also, FWIW, I would personally pursue at least 1440P at this point. 1080P is way behind the current curve.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Jag

Post by Jag »

Honestly I got one awhile back, but it was such an upgrade from my crappy monitor that I can't tell if Gsync is doing anything.

My only advice would be get an IPS over a TN screen. I bought a Dell Gsync TN and hated it. Viewing angles weren't great and it looked washed out. It didn't have that vibrant pop. Got an Acer XB270HU IPS instead and it is so much better but it is pricey. I'm also locked into Nvidia because of it, but I don't mind sticking with them for GPUs for now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, it is noticeable, and the two technologies are becoming prevalent. Giving yourself the option is future-proofing.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

My problem with the choice is that the only choice that guarantee that it'll work is to get g-sync monitor. There is no guarantee that the freesync one will work with nvidia.

All gsync compatible monitors on Nvidia list are not available locally so I can't buy them.

I guess I'll look for a freesync IPS monitor with 1440p and 144 hz. One that is unofficially gsync compatible.