Total War: Warhammer 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tru1cy

Total War: Warhammer 2

Post by tru1cy »

Trailer Taking place in the New World and new races appear to be Dark Elves and Lizard Men
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Stuie

Re: Total War: Warhammer 2

Post by Stuie »

The rat at the end seems to imply Skaven as well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

tru1cy wrote:Trailer Taking place in the New World and new races appear to be Dark Elves and Lizard Men
Don't forget the High Elves.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

... and whoever else comes out as DLC. Not to mention the planned "combo world" feature further down the road.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:... and whoever else comes out as DLC.
Halflings?
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Snotlings!
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:... and whoever else comes out as DLC.
Halflings?
That'd be pretty pay-to-win.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm not sure what else really fits with the region they're setting up.

The next one will probably have to cover the east, which means Chaos Dwarves, Tomb Kings, maybe Araby.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scratch that. I read an interview suggesting that the Southlands may be part of Warhammer 2. That could bring in Araby (just what it sounds like) and the Tomb Kings (Egyptian themed undead) in this game.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Chaos Halflings!
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

What about some magical space frogs? (I'm uh, not entirely joking)
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote:What about some magical space frogs? (I'm uh, not entirely joking)
Are those in 40K?
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, but they also feature in Warhammer.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did Stephen King write that module?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

El Guapo wrote:
NickAragua wrote:What about some magical space frogs? (I'm uh, not entirely joking)
Are those in 40K?
Are those anything like D&D Bullywogs?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Included in with the Lizardmen. There's one in the trailer right at the two minute mark.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote:
Included in with the Lizardmen. There's one in the trailer right at the two minute mark.
Good point. Chaos Halflings it is!
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Total War: WARHAMMER II – Curse of the Vampire Coast FAQ
The Curse of the Vampire Coast Campaign Pack contains:
  • 4 new Legendary Lords
  • New Lore of Magic: The Lore of the Deep
  • New roster: command towering constructs, ghastly pincered sea-beasts, ghoulish horrors and musket-wielding piratical zombie hordes in battle!
  • A suite of all-new campaign mechanics:
    • Treasure Maps: Find treasure maps and dig for booty
    • Ship Building: Upgrade each Legendary Lord’s unique ship
    • Infamy: Rule the waves to become the most infamous pirate of all
    • Pirate Coves: Establish hidden enclaves in your enemies settlements
    • Fleet Offices: Reward your undead Admirals with positions of power to improve their loyalty
    • Pieces of Eight: Sail the seas to unlock eight new Regiments of Renown
  • New battle mechanics:
    • More Powder: Use your Heroes to keep your gun-lines topped up with ammo
    • Extra Powder: While black powder is plentiful, each unit will benefit from a variety of missile-related buffs
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Get to the choppah!!! (Yeah, I know, but it's my favourite line...)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Definitely should be a good time to start a new Skaven game when that comes out. I finally get my beloved ratling guns.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Too bad it didn't come out sooner, I'm just finishing up my high elf campaign and would have liked to see some more Skaven trickery.

Last night, I actually had a "legitimate" loss to a Skaven force. The rats laid siege to one of my walled cities, at about four to one odds - four of their twenty-stacks vs one of mine plus the city garrison (no slouches themselves). I station my guys on the walls, got my six giant eagles flying around their backfield and plowing their siege weapons into the ground. They get a few ladders onto the walls, but we manage to repel them. Some Rat Ogres manage to breach a gate, but I've got cavalry and chariots there to plug the breach. After killing and/or routing uncountable numbers of the rat guys, my troops on the walls start running low on ammo, but we're still holding.

That's when I notice the little victory point counter has gone to about fifty, and there are three or four low-strength Skaven units in the town's control point. I run my cavalry back there and rout them, but we can't re-capture it fast enough and lose the scenario. And since it's a siege, that means my twenty-stack is gone, too.

We still took a huge chunk out of their forces, so my newly-arriving stacks were able to mop them up, but that was a pretty heavily built-up city, and it got razed.

I looked back at the replay, and, apparently, what happened was several Skaven units routed off the walls and into the town, then recovered their morale.
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Naturally, as I just started a Lizardmen campaign a couple of days ago.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Here are the patch notes for the Doomsayer update. I hadn't realized that there was so much stuff arriving alongside the DLC.
Update Highlights
  • Massive balancing pass to how campaigns play out – see Campaign AI Balancing section below for details
  • Multiple new regions and provincial changes across the world in both Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires campaigns
    • Notably: Added new region of Massif Orcal in Bretonnia and multiple new regions in the Empire, including the Ruin of Mordheim
  • AI Vampire Counts factions can now gain Bloodline Lords, with specializations for some factions:
    • Mousillon will focus on Blood Dragon lords
    • Necrarch Brotherhood will focus on Necrarch lords
    • Strygos Empire will focus on Strigoi lords
    • Silver Host will focus on the female Lahmian lords
  • Added 15 new island map variations across the world
  • Added multiple new Ritual Currency locations in the Eye of the Vortex campaign to better support the amount of new factions participating in the race
  • Added new location map button on the Lord selection screen so you can see where factions start when choosing them
  • Lowered the availability of most agents for all factions to tier 3 or below, capacity remains unaffected
  • Added Feral Cold Ones as a recruitable unit for all Lizardmen from the Dinosaur Reserve building (animals resource chain)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Only applies to new campaigns. I think I will abandon my turn 20-something Lizardmen and try again after the update.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Only had a little while to play last night, but tried out the new Skaven campaign start for a bit and really enjoying the changes so far. I have a Skaven tabletop army, and the Skaven in Total War always seemed a little off since they were lacking so many of their fun toys like the ratling runs and jezzails. Having them in the game now fills in some holes in the Skaven lineup in addition to making the Skaven that much more enjoyable to play.

The new Clan Skyre start is in the south of the old world in between the southern human factions and you start at war with one of them. They start with a unit of ratling gunners, jezzails, and a unit that's kind of miniature doom wheels that function pretty well as armored cavalry for the Skaven.

The jezzails are incredible mostly because of their excellent range. They are basically a unit of warpstone rifle snipers, and they do a great job of quickly weakening units as they approach. They have such great range, they would probably also function to get the computer to assault you in a battle rather than just let you sit outside their range and hit them with jezzails. Not quite the range of artillery, but way more than standard missile troops.

Another new "unit" of the Skaven that packs a punch are doom rockets. You manufacture them at the lab Clan Skyre starts with and can drop them during battles. They are basically long range missiles that you call in to the battle like off map artillery in Fall of the Samurai. Unfortunately you only start with one and I wasted it on a single human infantry unit before I realized how limited they are. Judging by the blast radius though, I expect you could cripple a good chunk of an army if you managed to drop it on a large blob of enemy troops.

Haven't played around with another big new feature yet: undercities, but I'm looking forward to establishing a few of them up in Bretonnian lands to soften them up a bit while I work on securing the south.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've yet to try the Skaven, but the patch notes made it look like the changes were significance.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skaven play a little weird compared to some factions, so a few non-obvious tips for anyone planning on playing them for the first time soon:
- Skaven require more and more food to feed their armies, and you get large penalties to public order among other things if you run out or low. Watch for provinces with pastures which produce food for Skaven factions, and always keep an eye on your available food and how many turns you can last until you need more. If you are running a significant food deficit, raiding and battle can be a good source of more food.

- When you are looking to expand your armies, look to food as well as gold with the Skaven. You can rip yourself apart in short order if you expand too quickly and run out of food.

- Because of their buildings, potential food penalties, and corruption penalties, Skaven can often run into public order problems. Embrace it and just be ready to station armies near cities that are about to hit -100 to clear out the rebels that spawn. This also has the benefit of giving you food for defeating the rebels which, if you play your cards right, can actually be a significant source of food.

- Skaven have 2 paths they can go down in terms of corruption on a per province level: they can embrace Skaven corruption or embrace being untainted. Corruption tends to come from buildings that have nice benefits attached to them, the higher the corruption in a region the more free units of clanrats (menace from below) you'll get in battle in that province, and like undead corruption other factions will face heavy attrition in your province, but it primarily lowers public order. General strategy is to make sure larger, secure provinces are untainted, but border provinces where you expect a lot of fighting should be more corrupt.

- Skaven slaves and clanrats are terrible troops on the whole, but they are very, very cheap in terms of upkeep (a full 20 stack of slaves with a lord has an upkeep of ~500gp) and as we know quantity has a quality of it's own. A good strategy, especially in the early game, is to have a stack of nothing but slaves follow your better equipped main army around and act as meat shields in battle. Even better, routing slaves won't effect the morale of your non-slave troops, so there's no risk of large numbers of routing slaves to cause your better troops to flee.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Despite the holiday I managed to get in a little time with the Skaven over the weekend.

Have control of most of the SW old world, up to the wood elf lands to the north. Just eliminated the wood elves faction, along with their big tree, and just working on finishing off the rest of them now.

Enjoying the Skaven a lot this time around, especially their ratling guns... those things are fantastic at killing armored hero and monster units. I had a few close battles with the wood elves, and it was only the ratling guns targeting the treemen in their army that let me take them down in the end.

Also enjoying the under empire mechanics. Skaven can now use engineers to construct under empires in enemy cities that can make buildings that produce food and money among other things as long as they remain undetected. You can also build some buildings to construct giant bombs to blow up the city, or spawn armies to take them. Can be pretty pricey sometimes, especially because they can be found and destroyed potentially, but you can produce a lot of food with the right buildings... enough that you can hold back on the constant expansion sometimes instead of always chasing more food.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My Lizardmen campaign is drawing to a close. Eight turns remain until the final ritual is complete. Groups of five full 20-stacks of Skaven coming in with their almost-guaranteed ambushes are no joke. Luckily I've got a first-rate chokepoint, and I'm able to gather my support armies behind a city, let them besiege it, and then come at them with a sortie. Otherwise they'd be picking me off five-to-one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And done. Last battle wasn't too bad. Fully upgraded high-rank Temple Guard are untouchable. That's the TW:W wood elf Campaign, the TW:W2 lizardmen campaign, and two 'to clear win and boredom' Mortal Empire campaigns (dwarves, dark elves) in the past few months. I think it is time for a Warhammer break.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

How it Total Was Wahmamer 2 vs 1? Is it worth getting?

I like Total war series, so usually get decent mileage out of them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Bigger, better looking, more polished, a completely different set of races, and a different campaign. Also, if you own both, you get the free Mortal Empires DLC, which allows you to combine the races from both into a world domination mega-campaign.

So, yes.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'm perfectly happy with my TW: Warhammer 2 purchase. Like Blackhawk said, it's basically a polished version of the first one. I actually prefer the limited-scope campaign, because the "global domination" victory condition gets boring once you've passed that breaking point where nothing can stop you.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, my Mortal Empires runs were always to the point where I was unstoppable. I can't imagine actually finishing one, but the real appeal is taking the races against each other in new combinations. Wood elves vs tomb kings. Vampire counts vs dark elves. That sort of thing.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

Make sense, so i probably will like it. Will wait for the next sale.
I went back to original and did some Beastman rampaging, good fun.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Alongside some new DLC, there is a significant patch landing today.

The Potion of Speed Update
The headline improvement in this update, we’ve found some useful code optimisations to the campaign gameplay systems and AI’s decision-making during end-turn rounds. These improvements reduce the time it takes for each faction to take its turn when you hit the end-turn button. This time reduction benefits players on all system specifications but will vary according to individual specs.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I hadn't played this in a while, but have been slowly playing a new Lizard game since the last update.

They are a newish addition, but I'm playing as Itza (Gor-Rok) who start over near Clan Pestilence on the western continent, and man are they strong. Their legendary lord is a pretty strong Saurus to begin with, and they get lots of faction bonuses to Saurus including stat bonuses and less upkeep, but even better, they start with an undead first generation Slann who has a really powerful AOE blast that doesn't hurt allied troops. It chews through magic fast, but once the battle lines meet I just drop it on the largest mass of enemy troops and that's often enough to cripple an enemy army.

Good faction to play if you want to ease back in to the campaign game after some time away, or are new to it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Three words: Skaven Flesh Laboratory

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Picked it up a few days ago. We'll see how it goes.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949