Switching to SSD

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Switching to SSD

Post by Bakhtosh »

I still have mostly spinning media storage on my PC (using a hybrid drive as my main boot & gaming drive). My mobo has a PCIe M.2 slot and I've been surfing bargains in the 1TB range, hoping to bite the bullet soon. Then I did a compare on the generic drives and a WD Black.

Shouldn't have done that. :doh:

I probably would have been thrilled with the upgrade, now I can't see how I stop myself from spending the extra $100.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Freyland

Re: Switching to SSD

Post by Freyland »

As in, "I regret seeing how much cheaper regular plate drives are compared to SSD's"?

Make the switch. It's totally worth it.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
DOS=HIGH

Post by DOS=HIGH »

Best bang for your buck for a ~1 TB M.2 drive is the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 960GB for $150 at Amazon. Gets great reviews and performs at the higher end.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

With my new PC, I use my old 500 Gb SATA SSD as the boot drive and 4 TB slow HDD accelerated using Intel Optane Memory (32 GB) for my games.

So far performance is good enough for me. As fast or almost as fast as playing games installed on SSD drive but more convenient than manually manage which games to put on SSD and which one HDD.

32 GB Intel Optane Memory + 4 TB slow HDD is cheaper than getting a 4 TB SSD.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have an SSD I use for games, and a big platter drive I use for... games. If I'm not actively playing a game, I use the Steam 'move' option to put it on the platter drive. Games I'm actively playing I move to the SSD. It's a noticeable difference, nowhere more so than in multiplayer games where there are loading indicators. If I play Siege, for instance, with three OOers with SSDs ( Siege is huge, and we only play it occasionally, so I keep it on the platter drive), I'll watch all three of their 'loading' indicators when launching a mission finish, then watch them wait twice again as long for me to load in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

Freyland wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:26 pm As in, "I regret seeing how much cheaper regular plate drives are compared to SSD's"?

Make the switch. It's totally worth it.
No, as in, I regret seeing how much better the WD black SSD is over the Intel & WD Blue I'd been considering.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

I put an NVMe PCIe Samsung 970 Evo Plus into my gaming laptop. Suffice it to say, it's a good bit faster than the WD Black, so I've been mighty chuffed with it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 pm I put an NVMe PCIe Samsung 970 Evo Plus into my gaming laptop. Suffice it to say, it's a good bit faster than the WD Black, so I've been mighty chuffed with it.
I am not sure what chuffed is, but I have the same drive in my gaming machine and I am very pleased with it.

Note: I looked up chuffed after typing that. I was very pleased with the result.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Chuffed is Brit-speak, IIRC. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

I went with the HP EX920. Decent performance, and still a bargain.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:22 pm I put an NVMe PCIe Samsung 970 Evo Plus into my gaming laptop. Suffice it to say, it's a good bit faster than the WD Black, so I've been mighty chuffed with it.
I've put a 2TB 970 Evo in my recent rebuild. I am also mighty chuffed about it.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"