Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Shootings

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:37 pm In totally unrelated news, here's how the Cook County State's Attorney handles illegal firearms:
Two of the men allegedly provided statements to the police implicating Ingram as the owner of the gun. According to the men, when the office initially pulled behind the car, Ingram told the other occupants he had a gun and removed it from his waistband. According to the men, he then placed it between his legs but they lost sight of it. Ingram denied knowledge of the gun according to the police.

None of the men in the car had a valid FOID Card or a concealed carry license. The police contacted the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office on two occasions that night asking for approval to charge Ingram with a felony gun charge. In both instances, the Cook County State’s Attorney denied the request.

Ingram, a 25 year old black male with a Chicago address, was charged with one count of misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon and a Cook County Ordinance ticket for Possession of Cannabis under 30 grams. The other men were not charged.
(That kind of stuff makes the news in Oak Lawn)

Charged with misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon that was a felony to possess.
Are these hard to prosecute? What could be the motive to ignore this sort of thing after years of ceaseless gun violence?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Full jails. Although there seems to be plenty of room for dogs.

I mean that might be over simplifying it and there seem to be a million political reasons not to arrest and prosecute vs. just one to do so. But that one happens to be reducing murder and violent crime so... you know. Whatever that's worth.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You know who needs to be hassled by increased security in Las Vegas? Computer nerds
Caesars began rolling out a new security policy in February that mandated room searches when staff had not had access to rooms for over 24 hours. Caesars has been mostly tolerant of the idiosyncratic behavior of the DEF CON community, but it's not clear that the company prepared security staff for dealing with the sorts of things they would find in the rooms of DEF CON attendees. Soldering irons and other gear were seized, and some attendees reported being intimidated by security staff.

And since the searches came without any warning other than a knock, they led, in some cases, to frightening encounters for attendees who were in those rooms. Katie Moussouris—a bug bounty and vulnerability disclosure program pioneer at Microsoft, an advocate for security researchers, and now the founder and CEO of Luta Security—was confronted by two male members of hotel security as she returned to her room. When she went into the room to call the desk to verify who they were, they banged on the door and screamed at her to immediately open it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 pm You know who needs to be hassled by increased security in Las Vegas? Computer nerds
Caesars began rolling out a new security policy in February that mandated room searches when staff had not had access to rooms for over 24 hours. Caesars has been mostly tolerant of the idiosyncratic behavior of the DEF CON community, but it's not clear that the company prepared security staff for dealing with the sorts of things they would find in the rooms of DEF CON attendees. Soldering irons and other gear were seized, and some attendees reported being intimidated by security staff.

And since the searches came without any warning other than a knock, they led, in some cases, to frightening encounters for attendees who were in those rooms. Katie Moussouris—a bug bounty and vulnerability disclosure program pioneer at Microsoft, an advocate for security researchers, and now the founder and CEO of Luta Security—was confronted by two male members of hotel security as she returned to her room. When she went into the room to call the desk to verify who they were, they banged on the door and screamed at her to immediately open it.
This seems like an invasion of privacy to me... but I'm honestly not sure if there is something in the room agreement that lets them come in whenever they want. Typically for vacations our do not disturb goes up when we enter the room the first day and comes down when we check out. I dont want to be bothered at all. I suspect a class action lawsuit at some point.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
malchior

Post by malchior »

Sounds like a massive over correction by the hotels there. I'd like to know what is magical about a 24 hour check period that makes this effective.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm Sounds like a massive over correction by the hotels there. I'd like to know what is magical about a 24 hour check period that makes this effective.
It's to ensure that no one is fortifying their room exactly like the Vegas shooter. It took him a few days to get all set up.

Of course it's just theater. They did the same 24 hour check here for hotels near Lollapalooza.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Houston
Four Houston police officers were shot Monday afternoon while serving a narcotics warrant in southeast Houston.

Two of those officers are in critical condition and were undergoing surgery Monday night at Memorial Hermann Hospital. Chief Acevedo said both of the critically injured were shot in the neck.

Two other officers are stable and are expected to make a full recovery. One of them, who was shot in the shoulder, was released from the hospital Monday night.

A fifth officer suffered a knee injury during the shootout and underwent surgery. He remains in the hospital.
Two suspects, a male and a female, are dead inside the house where the officers were serving a warrant for black tar heroin when gunfire broke out.
The shooting happened just before 4 p.m. in a residential neighborhood in the 7800 block of Harding. That's just a few blocks from Milby High School.
The names of the injured officers have not been released because some of them are undercover.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The Parkland shooting has taken another life.
19-year-old Sydney Aiello took her own life this weekend, her mother announced on Friday, more than a year after surviving the mass shooting at Parkland, FL’s Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Speaking with CBS Miami, Cara Aiello said her daughter had recently been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, and had grappled with survivor’s guilt following the Parkland shootings in February 2018, which killed 17 people, including Sydney’s close friend Meadow Pollack.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As far as I'm concerned, the more it's posted, the better. We've got a real fucking problem here in the United States.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Another child lost.
A second Parkland shooting survivor has killed himself, Coral Springs police confirmed on Sunday.
Investigators told the Miami Herald that a current Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School student died in “an apparent suicide” on Saturday night.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Please let this stop.
The father of Avielle Richman, one of 20 first-grade students and six educators killed in the 2012 Sandy Hook School shooting, was found dead of an apparent suicide at Edmond Town Hall early Monday, police said.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

One risk factor that has emerged from this research is suicide "contagion," a process by which exposure to the suicide or suicidal behavior of one or more persons influences others to commit or attempt suicide. Evidence suggests that the effect of contagion is not confined to suicides occurring in discrete geographic areas. In particular, nonfictional newspaper and television coverage of suicide has been associated with a statistically significant excess of suicides. The effect of contagion appears to be strongest among adolescents, and several well publicized "clusters" among young persons have occurred.
CDC.

Reporting suicides.

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Home invasion goes horribly wrong, resident kills 3 intruders and injures 2. No charges expected. Apparently the guy kept a loaded AK-47 under his couch and was able to pull it out.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess if you routinely expect 5+ people to invade your home at any given time, keeping a loaded AK-47 under your couch is a smart plan.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
One risk factor that has emerged from this research is suicide "contagion," a process by which exposure to the suicide or suicidal behavior of one or more persons influences others to commit or attempt suicide. Evidence suggests that the effect of contagion is not confined to suicides occurring in discrete geographic areas. In particular, nonfictional newspaper and television coverage of suicide has been associated with a statistically significant excess of suicides. The effect of contagion appears to be strongest among adolescents, and several well publicized "clusters" among young persons have occurred.
CDC.

Reporting suicides.
Heathers in action?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Students walk out of Colorado school shooting vigil, saying their trauma was being politicized

More than 2,000 attended the vigil at STEM School Highlands Ranch High School, as STEM School Highlands Ranch students burst into a spontaneous demonstration, protesting politics and the media.
Time and a place. Time: now. Place: not their vigil.

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

As my brother-in-law just said, guns are a right. Children are a commodity.
Enough

Post by Enough »

On the local Denver TV news last night they mentioned in passing that there are reports one of the students was injured by being shot by an armed school security officer. I believe it was a private one. Not seeing any articles on this yet, but thought it merited being mentioned.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Life in America, 2019.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:34 pm On the local Denver TV news last night they mentioned in passing that there are reports one of the students was injured by being shot by an armed school security officer. I believe it was a private one. Not seeing any articles on this yet, but thought it merited being mentioned.
Denver Fox affiliate reported that and armed security officer "saved lives", no mention of him or another one injuring a student.
DENVER - An armed security guard, employed privately by STEM School Highlands Ranch, helped apprehend one of the shooters Tuesday.

"He probably saved more lives than he thinks he did," said Tyler Christensen, an 8th-grade student who was near the gunshots. "It makes him a hero. To me, he is a hero."

But Denver ABC affiliate has this:
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. — An armed private security guard who was assigned to the Highlands Ranch Colorado STEM school campus may have mistakenly fired at Douglas County deputies responding to the scene and injured a student, according to ABC News.

A top law enforcement official told ABC News that detectives are trying to determine if a round from the security officer’s firearm struck and wounded an innocent student. The source said the investigation is in its early stages and authorities are speaking with the security guard to learn more.

So probably unconfimed and still being investigated at this point.

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:09 am
Students walk out of Colorado school shooting vigil, saying their trauma was being politicized

More than 2,000 attended the vigil at STEM School Highlands Ranch High School, as STEM School Highlands Ranch students burst into a spontaneous demonstration, protesting politics and the media.
Time and a place. Time: now. Place: not their vigil.

Yeah, wow. That's pretty shitty. How do they not see that? If the kids and families want to OUTRAGE or political statement then have at it, but imposing it on them and while they are likely still in a haze? What the hell is wrong with you?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dallas
A masked gunman opened fire Monday on a federal courthouse in downtown Dallas before being fatally shot in an exchange of gunfire with federal officers, witnesses and authorities said.

Brian Isaack Clyde, 22, was pronounced dead at a hospital following the shooting outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building. Authorities offered no hint of his motive, but FBI agent Matthew DeSarno said there was nothing to indicate the presence of any other shooters or threats to the city.

Clyde opened fire about 8:40 a.m., and law enforcement immediately responded, including three officers from the Federal Protective Service who were stationed at the building.

A bomb squad later examined a vehicle associated with the gunman as a precaution and performed controlled explosions, authorities said. Two loud blasts could be heard.
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Toronto
Gunshots rang out at the NBA championship celebration for the Toronto Raptors on Monday, Toronto police said.
On Monday afternoon, police wrote on Twitter that there had been reports of a woman who had been shot. People were running from the area, police said in the tweet, and emergency responders were on the scene. About 30 minutes later, the department said authorities had located two victims with injuries deemed “serious but not life threatening.”
Officers took two people into custody and recovered two firearms, police said.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Probably due for a bump. What better way than to share this:

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sunday morning, between midnight and 9am, Chicago saw:
2 mass shootings
4 additonal multi-victim shootings
With a total of 28 shot.
A South side hospital had to shut down it's ER because it couldn't handle the volume.

Just another summer festival weekend.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CDC 2017 National Vital Statistics Reports (PDF)
Assault (homicide), the 16th leading cause of death in 2017, dropped from among the 15 leading causes of death in 2010, but is still a major issue for some age groups. In 2017, the age adjusted rate for homicide did not change. Homicide was among the 15 leading causes of death in 2017 for age groups under 1 year (13th), 1–4 (4th), 5–14 (5th), 15–24 (3rd), 25–34 (3rd), 35–44 (5th), and 45–54 (10th)
The two major component causes of firearm injury deaths in 2017 were suicide (60.0%) and homicide (36.6%).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Also, possible attack at Temple University thwarted.
He allegedly asked questions about the campus police's response time, and commented that the customer would see him again in the news in the next two weeks, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

Buhler at the time of the conversation was purchasing five boxes of .223 rifle ammunition. An employee in the sporting goods section overhead the conversation and reported it to his manager, who then reported it to the police. The complaint told police that Buhler noted he was purchasing the ammunition because he knows police wear body amor.
Who'da thought? Oh, wait...
In April, Buhler was arrested on multiple charges related to gun possession, including an assault rifle, hunting rifle, handgun and shotgun without a permit in Flemington, N.J.

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That is why the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants and kindergartners and newlyweds and grandpas and high-schoolers and dads and teachers and moms and worshippers and workers and occasionally infants.
On the subject of our still fledgling nation, one point in particular stands out, which I present for want of understanding America’s purpose: The British crown continues to repeat its lies about our being unable to govern ourselves, and yet we have over these past years of self-government seen relative peace. However, that peace must not lull our citizenry into complacency. It is essential that Americans remain ready to respond to any threat that would encroach on our dearly won freedom.

That is why the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants and kindergartners and newlyweds and grandpas and high-schoolers and dads and teachers and moms and worshippers and workers and occasionally infants.

We vow to never again find ourselves caught in the ruthless grip of the British Empire or a group of lifelong friends reuniting at a country music festival.

I hope that this point will be sufficiently clarified in our Constitution, so that our descendants may understand fully the need for an armed and well-regulated group of citizens that can put down any despotic government, ninth-grade class, synagogue congregation, The Dark Knight Rises audience, or group of shoppers at a Walmart that rises up against them.
Oof.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I feel like the only way out of this mess is what we did with smoking. I know that's a gross over-simplification, but bear with me.

How did we go from 40+% adults smoking in the 1960s to 14%? We weaned ourselves off of smoking culture.

Over time, we raised the age limits to purchase them. We took cigarette machines out of restaurants. We made them expensive. We banned smoking in public places. And yes, we even took them out of movies and television. And we warned the public - repeatedly - of their dangers. The end result was a gradual but steady reduction in smokers. But we didn't ban them outright, and anybody who wants to smoke today is perfectly free to do so.

Obviously I'm not suggesting a 1 to 1 solution. We already ban firearms in many public places, we already have limits on who can buy them, etc. I'm not saying the exact same methods used for cigarettes are applicable to guns. I'm just saying we will have wean ourselves off the tit of gun culture to ever see a reduction in shootings. And it's going to take generations, and it's going to take attacking it from multiple angles.

TLDR - until gun violence is recognized as a public health crisis, we're never going to get anywhere. And there's only one party that consistently keeps us from studying the problem, just as they did with cigarettes.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

As long as you have right to keep and bear arms. you also have "right" to die from mass shootings.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 pm I feel like the only way out of this mess is what we did with smoking. I know that's a gross over-simplification, but bear with me.

How did we go from 40+% adults smoking in the 1960s to 14%? We weaned ourselves off of smoking culture.

Over time, we raised the age limits to purchase them. We took cigarette machines out of restaurants. We made them expensive. We banned smoking in public places. And yes, we even took them out of movies and television. And we warned the public - repeatedly - of their dangers. The end result was a gradual but steady reduction in smokers. But we didn't ban them outright, and anybody who wants to smoke today is perfectly free to do so.

Obviously I'm not suggesting a 1 to 1 solution. We already ban firearms in many public places, we already have limits on who can buy them, etc. I'm not saying the exact same methods used for cigarettes are applicable to guns. I'm just saying we will have wean ourselves off the tit of gun culture to ever see a reduction in shootings. And it's going to take generations, and it's going to take attacking it from multiple angles.

TLDR - until gun violence is recognized as a public health crisis, we're never going to get anywhere. And there's only one party that consistently keeps us from studying the problem, just as they did with cigarettes.
Victoria Raverna wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 pm As long as you have right to keep and bear arms. you also have "right" to die from mass shootings.
To me it boils down to the fact that society has changed. How and why I don't know. But you used to be able to walk into a hardware store and buy a rifle. You could order guns through the mail and there were no background checks. It seems like one out of four grandfathers has a story about the first rifle they bought through the Sears or Montgomery Ward catalog. And yet there wasn't mass carnage. Granted there weren't many AR15 type rifles either. But effectiveness of firearms is only part of what changed.

It's another conversation about what it is that changed, is it cultural, social, moral... but we have laws banning predatory lending and all sorts of malfeasance that didn't exist 50+ years ago. Why? Because they became necessary in our society to protect people from other people. Whatever the reason today, people are randomly killing other people. Video games (doubtful), social media/media (possible), whatever it is, it's happening. We can try to do something or we can say, well, we didn't have this problem 60 years ago and we didn't need the laws back then so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As a gun owner, I see it as "this is why we can't have nice things." I don't own an AR15 or variant. I have shot them often and consider them incredible platforms. But guess what, people are idiots and they abuse them.

I need a separate ID card to own a gun where I live and another ID to carry it. I had to take 16 hours of class just to qualify, then I had to undergo a background check and local LEO review. I pay $2000 a year for a range membership while anyone outside the metro area probably pays less than $400. There is a ln additional $0.05 tax on ammo per round and a $25 tax on all firearm sales (both in addition to 11% sales tax). "Assault Weapons" are banned (though as far as I know this hasn't been tested in court yet). All of this is stuff I live with that I hate...but if it actually save lives (don't know) would it make a difference if it were national? Either way I see it as inevitable and I'm already living under it. Like YKs smoking analogy, there is definitely a cultural componenet. I deal with a lot of gun nuts and like hardcore smokers they have a disconnect from rationality when it comes to the risks and dangers. I don't know what he solution is but I don't think it is more guns, as they almost universally advocate. Yes, if someone is shooting at me with a AR15, I would like to have my own AR15 to shoot back at them but ideally they wouldn't have that AR15 in the first place.

The problem is that the cat is out of the bag. There are what, 30 million of them in the wild? .223 ammo is stockpiled. Not sure what we do.

Kind of long and rambling, I had much better points when I was thinking about this in the shower. But to summarize, free access to firearms has been around for a long time and it's arguableused to be more ubiquitous than it is today. However, to say that because of that fact firearms are not a major factor in what is going on today is ignorant, whether intentionally/blissfully or not.

You can have a can of gasoline sitting in the garage for years without a fire. When you catch your kid playing with matches, you can preach all you want but it's still a good idea to get that can out of there.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am I don't own an AR15 or variant. I have shot them often and consider them incredible platforms. But guess what, people are idiots and they abuse them.
FBI

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 pm I feel like the only way out of this mess is what we did with smoking. I know that's a gross over-simplification, but bear with me.

I think you're correct about a societal shift, and suspect that will be strongly driven by upcoming generations.

These are kids who have grown up with school shootings. Active shooter drills are now a part of their lives. They've watched their friends get gunned down, and/or have lived in fear of the same happening to them. I could be wrong, but I suspect that they're going to be far less tolerant of firearms when they get into a position of making the rules than the current generation is.

I'm hopeful that we'll start to see a significant societal shift at that point. Until then, however, I don't know what can be done.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Very interesting profile on gun ownership in the US from Scientific American

tl:dr - 50% of the guns in the US are owned by 3% of the population. And they are predominantly white, male, scared, and angry.
The short, broad-brush answer to the first part of that question is this: men, who on average possess almost twice the number of guns female owners do. But not all men. Some groups of men are much more avid gun consumers than others. The American citizen most likely to own a gun is a white male—but not just any white guy. According to a growing number of scientific studies, the kind of man who stockpiles weapons or applies for a concealed-carry license meets a very specific profile.

These are men who are anxious about their ability to protect their families, insecure about their place in the job market, and beset by racial fears. They tend to be less educated. For the most part, they don’t appear to be religious—and, suggests one study, faith seems to reduce their attachment to guns. In fact, stockpiling guns seems to be a symptom of a much deeper crisis in meaning and purpose in their lives. Taken together, these studies describe a population that is struggling to find a new story—one in which they are once again the heroes.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:38 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 am I don't own an AR15 or variant. I have shot them often and consider them incredible platforms. But guess what, people are idiots and they abuse them.
FBI

I think it's established that we're cool with gang, domestic, and other criminal violence. It's the random mass shootings that are driving the narrative here.

(Also, "firearm, type not stated"? )

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 am Until then, however, I don't know what can be done.
It needs to be a multi-prong approach; there isn't going to be a single solution. It will absolutely take a cultural (generational) shift in attitudes towards gun ownership. But we likely still need to update/modify/change regulations. I also think a federally funded nationwide buyback program would help - offer ridiculous incentives for people to surrender their guns.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:53 am I think it's established that we're cool with gang, domestic, and other criminal violence. It's the random mass shootings that are driving the narrative here.

(Also, "firearm, type not stated"? )
And probably shouldn't be. As you remind us, a national news story in one place is a regular weekend in another.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

tl:dr - 50% of the guns in the US are owned by 3% of the population. And they are predominantly white, male, scared, and angry.
And that's why you see people tag themselves with 3% or III% etc... The question is how many of them are real, how many are trolls, and how many are propaganda farm accounts. If this were 2015, I'd have guessed most aren't real. That the amount of 3%ers in that 3% are a small fraction. Now, I don't know what to believe but the angry and scared are obvious and the white male is implied. They say patriot. I would say walking a razor thin line toward terrorist. They promote their political views by threat of violence. See the Bundy park takeover and pardoning.

First thing I could find

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... ter-groups