Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: PC Gaming Randomness

Post by Max Peck »

Word on the street is that there will be some sort of event related to the game happening on 13 April at Star Wars Celebration Chicago.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sweet, a new Battle Royale coming!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to hot-dropping and getting one-shotted by an Ewok with a rock to my head.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 pm Sweet, a new Battle Royale coming!
You'd think so, but last year we learned...
Star Wars gamers, mark your calendars for holiday 2019.

Today at EA Play, Electronic Arts and developer Respawn Entertainment revealed some major new details about their previously announced Star Wars game, including its name and release date: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, set to arrive during the 2019 holiday season. Respawn’s Vince Zampella disclosed the new information during an audience interview at today’s press conference, and also relayed that the game will be a single-player, action-adventure title that tells a new story set shortly after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. Zampella confirmed that Respawn is collaborating very closely with Lucasfilm on the project. You can find out more at the Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order official site.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:06 pm Sweet, a new Battle Royale coming!
I'd probably play it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I still expect a BR mode.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'll believe the single-player when I see it. They've already cancelled two single-player SW games that were really promising and I don't really have high hopes for this one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm I'll believe the single-player when I see it. They've already cancelled two single-player SW games that were really promising and I don't really have high hopes for this one.
If it is single player, I fully expect it to be tied to some sort of online progression. EA isn't happy unless they can add microtransactions.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Apparently Chris Avellone had a hand in Fallen Order. Noice!

I guess the "big bomb dropping in a month" refers to Bloodlines 2. I don't recall if I saw anything attaching him to that project, but it is listed in his Wikipedia article, and the timing for the announcement is about right.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

There was a leak on Amazon of the t-shirt image for the game.

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Weed is worse than murder, if you're selling a video game
Weedcraft Inc. came out on Tuesday, and by Wednesday a handful of prominent and small-time YouTubers had been hit with ad-review requests, age-gate requirements and outright demonetization on their videos of the game. On Facebook, Devolver couldn't get a single ad for the game approved and, on launch day, its page was restricted.
Wilson has a long history in the games industry, starting in 1996 at id Software, where he oversaw marketing efforts for Doom and Quake, all the way through founding Devolver in 2008 and seeing success with titles like Hotline Miami and Serious Sam HD. Throughout his career, Wilson has been able to sell ultra-violent and sexualized games, but apparently, marijuana is a different beast.
"This is a game where you don't actually consume any drugs in the game," Wilson said. "There's no -- it's a fucking tycoon game about an actual industry that exists. We really went out of our way to avoid all the stupid stereotypes and make a really thoughtful game on this."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

https://phil-sa.itch.io/input-lag-simulator

Imput lag simulator. Put in different values and see how bad it lags. I cant believe I used to come in first in CS betas with a 250 ping. Those really were the old days. I remember most would have pings of 180 - 500 and there would be a couple with a 35 or 68 or so.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I used to set game browsers to filter out any matches above 300, and would take the fastest of those left. I occasionally had to adjust that filter if nothing was available.
Daehawk wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:09 pm I remember most would have pings of 180 - 500 and there would be a couple with a 35 or 68 or so.
#(&$! LPBs!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ha LPB. I had forgot about that slang.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Let me guess: Low ping bastards?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:39 pm Let me guess: Low ping bastards?
Yep.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:39 pm Let me guess: Low ping bastards?
Right, like you weren't one!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Canada was (is?) like a 3rd world country back then. And even if it weren't, most of the servers were geographically remote.

Plus, I never played CS. I honestly can't remember playing any first person shooter after Unreal Tournament.

The "b" part fits though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Dumb question... I was looking at the Beamdog bundle on Fanatical. Back then, I wasn't interested in D&D stuff, so I know Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, and Bauldur's Gate are classics, but are they worth playing even now?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In my opinion, yes. Absolutely. I've replayed both IWD and Baldur's Gate (enhanced editions in both cases) in the last few years, and I thought they held up well. They have great mechanics and great story.

That doesn't mean they don't show their age, though. They still have the fiddly inventory of a bygone age, for instance.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and to help you understand the Infinity Engine games:

Baldur's Gate 1&2 are a single, long story. Siege of Dragonspear is a modern expansion bridging the gap between them. It's a wonderfully told story, and the game that resulted in the rebirth of RPGs in its era. It is the origin of the Bioware RPG, with detailed NPCs with backstories, conflicts with other NPCs, romances, personal quests for each of them, moral choices that change the story, and so on. Some of them have remained popular to this day, such as Minsc and Boo ("Go for the eyes!"), who have received both their own comic series and two miniatures within the past few years.

Icewind Dale 1 & 2 are each unconnected to each other. They're like Baldur's Gate, but with a much greater emphasis on the action and combat.

Planescape: Torment is also like Baldur's Gate, but with a much greater emphasis on the story, to the point that combat is almost optional. I've heard it referred to as, "The best game I've ever read." It's also the game for which the recent Torment: Tides of Numenera was a spiritual sequel.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:31 am In my opinion, yes. Absolutely. I've replayed both IWD and Baldur's Gate (enhanced editions in both cases) in the last few years, and I thought they held up well. They have great mechanics and great story.

That doesn't mean they don't show their age, though. They still have the fiddly inventory of a bygone age, for instance.
I played both in 2018 and thought they were great. It helps if you have some affinity for D&D (and 2nd edition doesn't hurt).
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Just an FYI, the Green Man Gaming Spring Sale starts tomorrow. Are we expecting a Steam Sale this week too?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Last year, the Steam Spring Sale was in late May, so I expect it will be a few weeks out still. Generally, I expect the big Steam sales to start just after the corresponding GOG sales end.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ok, Console Gaming randomness, but this photo of Maud Adams and Grace Jones playing Nintendo 64 is great:

Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:naughty:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was cleaning out my desk and found this:

Enlarge Image

Ask your parents.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Memmmmmories!
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm I was cleaning out my desk and found this:

Enlarge Image

Ask your parents.
I find the rather baroque label amusing. Personally, I never had much patience for DVD/CD label printing back in the day.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Geez, I think I had to BitTorrent it. Smoove ranks!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I don’t even remember the Morrowind version of that. I still have POOP, and the version I made for the Steam version of Oblivion, Steaming POOP.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm 90% sure you made that Mororwind OO CD for me as I've never had a fancy-lad label printer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing Assasin's Creed Chronicles: China. I've gotten pretty far in the game, but it's gotten to a point of WTF do I do now? I like the way they introduce harder and harder enemies, as well as additional mechanics like overhead hang, claw raise, etc. I know I played this before, but this is way further than I've ever gotten.

Right now I'm stuck in the forbidden city, where I got to a place with a guard on top, scans below, three platforms, but no obvious exit.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm 90% sure you made that Mororwind OO CD for me as I've never had a fancy-lad label printer.
That’s entirely possible.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Decided to start on Borderlands GOTY/Enhanced and imported my old L55 character. On Playthrough 2, I died like 5 times in 10 minutes. Apparently I had completely forgotten about how to play BL. Hahaha. Enemies have gajillion hitpoints. Even rocket hits doesn't really soften them up much.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:16 pm Decided to start on Borderlands GOTY/Enhanced and imported my old L55 character. On Playthrough 2, I died like 5 times in 10 minutes. Apparently I had completely forgotten about how to play BL. Hahaha. Enemies have gajillion hitpoints. Even rocket hits doesn't really soften them up much.
I never did the stepped up Playthrough. Now I'm pretty sure I'm not going to :shock:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, the raiders in the starting area have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20000+ hp. I wasn't kidding. My sniper rifle was doing 2000 damage with a critical hit, 480 with a regular hit, and it took like 10-20 hits to kill one raider.

At least I got a couple purple weapons now (used a golden key, got 2 purple SMGs)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Second playthrough isn't that bad, but there really is a degree of skill involved that you lose if it's been a while. Which weapons to use, when to use specials, how to leverage your build, that sort of thing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

They have more hp and hit harder, that's it. Well, elemental resists too. It's no different than the standard set by Diablo.

The problem, if you could call it one, is that the first playthrough is pretty easy, so expectations are low and then bam, they actually fight back a bit.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I fired up Borderlands 2 for the first time in ages, and was initially confused as to why I had "Reload" mapped to "=" instead of "R". Then I remembered that Gaige is my favorite character, and how sad I feel when I accidentally hit reload and wipe a full stack of anarchy.