The proud tradition of Illinois

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: The proud tradition of Illinois

Post by Isgrimnur »

At a hearing in August, prosecutors had asked Burmila to delay the trial until later in the year to allow the FBI to enhance the video.

But Breen objected, arguing that the enhancement as well as the delay smacked of harassment and ultimately would not show whether the item seen falling from Claps' coat was a gun or whether it was loaded.

On Tuesday, as reporters questioned him outside the courthouse following Claps’ acquittal, Breen declined comment but pulled a small toy gun out of his pocket — then dropped it on the sidewalk with a smile.
Because whether or not it was loaded is relevant. :roll:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:20 am
At a hearing in August, prosecutors had asked Burmila to delay the trial until later in the year to allow the FBI to enhance the video.

But Breen objected, arguing that the enhancement as well as the delay smacked of harassment and ultimately would not show whether the item seen falling from Claps' coat was a gun or whether it was loaded.

On Tuesday, as reporters questioned him outside the courthouse following Claps’ acquittal, Breen declined comment but pulled a small toy gun out of his pocket — then dropped it on the sidewalk with a smile.
I am wondering if there are comparable cases of a person bringing a gun into a court where they got off due to not knowing if it was loaded. The plastic gun is one hell of a troll move, wow.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enough wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:20 am

I am wondering if there are comparable cases of a person bringing a gun into a court where they got off due to not knowing if it was loaded. The plastic gun is one hell of a troll move, wow.
Doesn't matter if it is loaded. You can't bring a gun to court, loaded, unloaded, missing parts, or whatever variation you want. No guns in court.

Toy guns would probably get confiscated too.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I was in Chicago for a couple of days this week. Right before leaving my travel agency sends me a travel alert about a double homicide shooting. Isn't that what Chicagoans refer to as "Monday"?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Snowstorm In Chicago Delays Hundreds Of Morning Murders
The city of Chicago is steadily recovering from an overnight snowstorm that delayed hundreds of murders on Friday morning and will likely continue to push numerous homicides across the city drastically behind schedule, public authorities announced. “As we speak, maintenance crews are working diligently to restore public transportation, de-ice roads, and clear back alleyways so that Chicagoans can quickly resume murdering again,” Department of Streets and Sanitation spokesman Dave Michelson said of the heavy blizzard, which caused numerous homicide cancellations this morning at peak murder times.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Too bad Gollum Gillum can't get some of that snow in Tallahassee. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chicago Mayoral Candidate Wants To Settle City Debts by Taxing the Neighbors
Chicago has declined in population for the third year in a row, according to the census, marking it as a significant outlier in America's urban centers. It's saddled with enormous debts, partly due to unpaid pension obligations, and the city is trying everything from taxing sodas and human waste, to holding citizens' cars for ransom, in order to make money.

One candidate to succeed Mayor Rahm Emanuel (soon to be heading for the exit himself) has a novel idea to fix the city's financial woes: stealing from the neighbors.

Candidate Bill Daley, son of former Mayor Richard J. Dailey, brother of former Mayor Richard M. Daley, and Emanuel's successor as President Barack Obama's chief of staff (can Chicago's political dynasty get any more incestuous?), is proposing a commuter tax to try to get more money from suburbanites who work in the city of Chicago. "We have to find new revenues, and everything is on the table," he said in a speech.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Don't they already do that with all the toll roads?
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I will say this, 64% of pubic urination around my building is suburbanites.

In other news, I'm not handwriting expert but have to think that this bunch of signatures for Dorothy Brown, Chicago mayoral candidate, ain't gonna fly.

Enlarge Image

But there won't be any voter fraud charges brought either.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Looks like Warren Phillips needs a visit from some law enforcement officials.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I hereby award special bonus points to Marilyn Barnes for managing to fill in all three columns incorrectly.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The nephew [of then-mayor Daley], Robert G. Vanecko, and his business partner Allison S. Davis, a developer who gave campaign money to Daley and was appointed by the mayor to head the Chicago Plan Commission, started investing in a series of property deals that, by the time the last of them are unwound by the end of December, will have cost the city workers pension funds 80 percent of the $68 million they put in — $54 million in all.

That’s one reason it’s difficult to unravel the real estate deals Vanecko and Davis made and pinpoint how these five drastically underfunded city pension funds lost so much money.

There’s no question about what happened to $9 million of it: It went to Davis and Vanecko in fees, primarily for managing the pension funds’ money that they largely lost.
The whole thing is worth a read.

Oh, and if the name Vanecko looks familiar, it may be because another Daley nephew, RJ Vanecko, punched and killed a guy in the street and did all of 60 days in jail for it, thanks to his mayoral connections.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chicago
Alderman Ed Burke, 75, is charged with one count of attempted extortion for conveying to company executives in 2017 that they’d get the permits only if they signed on as clients at Burke’s private property-tax law firm in Chicago, a 37-page complaint unsealed on Thursday says.

For many Chicagoans suspicious of dealings behind closed doors at City Hall, Burke has personified the city’s machine politics for decades. Dozens of aldermen have entered U.S. District court on corruption charges, but Burke seemed too powerful, too wealthy and too savvy to land himself in the kind of legal trouble he now faces.
Prosecutors told the judge that Burke, who has publicly opposed the National Rifle Association and proposed multiple gun-control ordinances over the years, had 23 guns at his offices alone. The judge said one condition of his continued release is that he gets rid of all his guns, including any at his home. He also was required to turn over his passport.

The Democrat’s law firm, Klafter & Burke, represented the high-rise tower that bears President Donald Trump’s name. There’s no indication the case is at all tied to his firm’s work for Trump.
The complaint, which does not identify the fast-food company or the executives allegedly squeezed, includes excerpts from wiretaps of Burke’s phone and emails seized in the raids.

When the executives didn’t give Burke’s law firm the business he wanted, Burke spoke with one of his ward employees about how they would “play hard” ball with the company, the complaint says.

Emails between the executives, who the complaint says are victims and not targets of the investigation, show how worried they were about the damage Burke could do to their enterprise.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:11 pm WaPo
The former Illinois congressman whose Capitol Hill office was decorated in the style of the TV show “Downton Abbey,” and whose six-pack abs landed him on the cover of Men’s Health, was indicted Thursday on charges that he misspent government and campaign money for his personal benefit.
WaPo
Federal prosecutors finalized a deal Wednesday that would undo the criminal charges against a former congressman from Illinois accused of misspending campaign and government money for his personal benefit — as long as he pays back taxes and reimburses his campaign.
[T]he case that once threatened to put Schock in prison almost certainly will end without him being convicted — marking a stunning reversal for the government. Prosecutors agreed to dismiss all the charges against Schock, provided that he holds up his end of their bargain, and his campaign committee agreed to plead guilty to violating the record-keeping provisions of the Federal Election Campaign Act and pay a $26,500 fine.
The case, though, was troubled from early on. In 2017, Schock’s attorneys alleged that investigators acted inappropriately in the case, including by exploring Schock’s sex life and whether he was gay. That same year, the lawyer for the House said that investigators had possibly committed a crime themselves when they had a staff member-turned-informant take materials from Schock’s district office.

The Justice Department last year replaced the prosecutors on the case, and Schock finally struck a deal with the new team from the U.S. attorney’s office in Chicago. Fitzpatrick said the office “conducted a thorough review of the case before proceeding with today’s agreement.” U.S. District Judge Matthew F. Kennelly approved the agreement at a hearing Wednesday.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We're back, baby!

Democratic Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker, his wife and his brother-in-law are under federal criminal investigation for a dubious residential property tax appeal that dogged him during his gubernatorial campaign last year, WBEZ has learned.

A law-enforcement source familiar with the investigation confirmed to WBEZ that the probe, which has not been revealed publicly until now, began last October and remains active. There are no signs that criminal charges are imminent.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Does the residential property in question have toilets? I'm trying to establish a modus operandi.
Covfefe!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I can't believe Rauner has been on the loose for months now. How long can we put up with an ex-governor roaming the streets freely? Won't someone think of the children?!
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 amDoes the residential property in question have toilets?
I'm trying to establish a modus operandi.
Now that's an euphemism I haven't heard before.

MYT
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:15 am Does the residential property in question have toilets? I'm trying to establish a commodus operandi.
Fixed that for you...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

:clap:

For you non-Illinoisians, I'm referring to this gem.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Draining the swamp!

Trump has commuted sentence of Blagojevich.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Great. He just unleashed another Elvis impersonator on our poor world. Trump needs to go before the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity at this point.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

The proud tradition of Illinois

Post by Zarathud »

Do not like. We live within a mile of Blago and the news helicopters were flying overhead since the announcement.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Holman

Post by Holman »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 pm Do not like. We live within a mile of Blago and the news helicopters were flying overhead since the announcement.
... Do they think he's going to commit crimes on the street?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:35 pm
Zarathud wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:22 pm Do not like. We live within a mile of Blago and the news helicopters were flying overhead since the announcement.
News choppers.

He's a shit heel. He won't be able to stay out of the spotlight and I dread what he does next.

MYT
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:35 pm
The prospect of an Illinois ex-governor roaming free is positively terrifying. The need to all go directly to jail, do not pass Go, and requires trips to be freed in game uses but 2 dice.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

whore
/hôr/

plural: whores

see image:

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Given that Goudie is a recognized investigative reporter, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him if I were a criminal.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I still don't get the impression Blago has any idea that what he did was wrong.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm I still don't get the impression Blago has any idea that what he did was wrong.
He absolutely doesn't think he was wrong.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:51 pm
Archinerd wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:50 pm I still don't get the impression Blago has any idea that what he did was wrong.
Why would he? The guy trying to buy the Senate seat he was selling is the current governor. See thread title.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

I got into a bit of a twitter argument about this last night. My biggest problem is you can think he was over-sentenced but it still doesn't matter IMO if the guy does not express any sense of repentance. He was caught red-handed on tape. In my mind, he is an utter dirt bag and the signalling here couldn't be clearer. This was an attack on law & order. End of story. I'm pretty tired of people trying to give reasonable explanations about these activities. People don't get we are likely an *authoritarian nation* right now. Stop with the equivocating already.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pritzker would have settled for treasurer.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

malchior wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:55 pm
This was an attack on law & order. End of story. I'm pretty tired of people trying to give reasonable explanations about these activities. People don't get we are likely an *authoritarian nation* right now. Stop with the equivocating already.
If this is directed at me, I'm sorry if I gave any impression that I was defending Blago's actions or Trump's decision to let him run free.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Archinerd wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:29 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:55 pm
This was an attack on law & order. End of story. I'm pretty tired of people trying to give reasonable explanations about these activities. People don't get we are likely an *authoritarian nation* right now. Stop with the equivocating already.
If this is directed at me, I'm sorry if I gave any impression that I was defending Blago's actions or Trump's decision to let him run free.
No it wasn't clear from the post but that is more at the centrist twitter mob/very serious media pundits who steadfastly stand "for the middle" no matter what. The position they try to hold now is increasingly untenable but they still spend 99% of their time normalizing Trump's bad behavior. Essentially the argument always comes down to some form of its within his powers and isn't strictly illegal therefore not authoritarianism. As if most authoritarian states don't act within the bounds of their laws. The naivety is off the charts.

The pundit class, the political class, and the business communities have all completely failed us through their recklessness, incompetence, and greed. There have been people talking before Trump how the GOP was going off the rails. They got ignored or laughed at. Then Trump came along and many said he was a danger to the nation. They were ignored or told to relax. The same people calling these shots for a long time still have people arguing with them. I'm sick of it. Like I said earlier it is put up or shut up time. We have to get whatever Democrat no matter how shitty or not a Democrat they are (which looks increasingly likely) to get Trump out of office. And if he doesn't go then influence the powers that be to remove him.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Trump and Balgo. Always great odds on being the dumbest guy in the room.

MYT
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

A Blago always pays his debts.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$150/plate? Lol, he's like a lounge act. Aldermen can do better than that.

Note also that the proceeds go to McCullah's campaign. Not Trump's. They're piggybacking on the RNC event, might not even be Trump approved. Delicious!

MYT