[tv / HULU] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Re: [tv] The Orville .......Seth MacFarlane

Post by Lassr »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:16 pm Seems like the online review sites are complaining about last night's episode, but I really liked it. It reminded me a bit of Lost in Translation - the pain of making an unexpected connection that you know has no future. I also thought the B story of the cigarettes was hilarious, even if I saw it coming from a mile away. I dunno; maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I thought it was a solid, standout episode.
I thought it was really good also.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So... we caught up on the most recent two episodes, watching them back to back. The revisit of the Moclan female issue was decent Trek stuff but had more fun with the time travel episode. Wondering about the ending, did anyone else watch it?
-mf
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:46 am So... we caught up on the most recent two episodes, watching them back to back. The revisit of the Moclan female issue was decent Trek stuff but had more fun with the time travel episode. Wondering about the ending, did anyone else watch it?
Yeah, it seemed like they just retconned the entire Ed and Kelly backstory.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrothgar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 am
MonkeyFinger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:46 am So... we caught up on the most recent two episodes, watching them back to back. The revisit of the Moclan female issue was decent Trek stuff but had more fun with the time travel episode. Wondering about the ending, did anyone else watch it?
From the previews it was part 1 of 2. The season finale will (presumably) resolve the time anomaly.
Spoiler:
Young Kelly's memory wipe didn't take, so if they're on the same timeline, Old Kelly should suddenly have some new memories. If she doesn't, then the timeline must've split. If I were writing it, it would be the latter, and alternate Kelly will go on to have a successful marriage to alternate Ed.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:26 am
Hrothgar wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 am
From the previews it was part 1 of 2. The season finale will (presumably) resolve the time anomaly.
Spoiler:
Young Kelly's memory wipe didn't take, so if they're on the same timeline, Old Kelly should suddenly have some new memories. If she doesn't, then the timeline must've split. If I were writing it, it would be the latter, and alternate Kelly will go on to have a successful marriage to alternate Ed.
That's what I was thinking as well, just wasn't gonna type it up if I ended up talking to myself. :wink:
Spoiler:
Sure seemed like it didn't take! And don't forgot, it's what - "Past Kelly" and "Present Kelly" rather than old and new? :lol:
Last I heard the show was still on the bubble for season 3 so hope they don't leave us hanging...
-mf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It continues to improve, so I hope it's renewed. The characters are starting to gel and some story arcs are emerging. There are some clunker episodes, but that's always been true of ST.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure how they'll get there, but I foresee alt-Kelly and alt-Ed successfully married thanks to what alt-Kelly learned about her future. If they want to make it a bombshell, that will alter the present so that real Kelly & Ed never divorced.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This show has seriously become one of my favourite shows right now. When they get down to it, it can be really quite creative in how they explore things.

Interestingly enough, I didn't really care all that much for the episode featuring Young Kelly and found it to be one of the weaker episodes. I much preferred the one before that, the one Johnathan Frakes had directed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really hope that wasn't a series finale, though I suppose you could do worse if it was. Felt more like a Star Wars homage at times with maybe a sprinkling of Firefly (with the wardrobe choices), but I did enjoy it. Here's hoping it comes back - I think it's a great show and it fills a gigantic gap in network programming.

EDIT: More coffee!
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I'm going to assume you mean't you hoped it wasn't a series finale. I also would like them to get a third season.

I have to say that while I liked this episode I didn't love it. I also got a very Star Wars-y vibe from it. That part was ok but...
Spoiler:
I can't get past the fact they went past the event horizon of a black hole and then just exited it. Nothing special to get out, no technobable, they just used impulse engines and left? WFT?
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Yeah, that was a bit boggling. And for such an advanced race, the Kaylons sure are terrible shots. :|
-mf
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It was riddled with implausibilities and plot holes, yet still a hugely entertaining 48 minutes and a good season-ender. I hope it comes back. This is the only show currently airing that I actually look forward to every week.
Spoiler:
The detachable Kaylon head-drones were cool for about 3 seconds until you realize that their bodies are standing there defenseless. Assuming the heads need to reunite with bodies (why would they even have them otherwise?), that's rather a big design flaw. :lol:
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 pm It was riddled with implausibilities and plot holes, yet still a hugely entertaining 48 minutes and a good season-ender. I hope it comes back.
+1 :wink:
-mf
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Monkeyfinger wrote:And for such an advanced race, the Kaylons sure are terrible shots.
I was thinking the same thing. I mean they're computers - they should be close to 100% every time.

I guess I'll have to fall back on the old stormtrooper theory of "They were just letting them get away."
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Liked this episode so much more than the previous one. I think the concept was better played. The one thing that seemed a implausible was the Orville being at the bottom of the ocean and still being able to power up after having been on the ocean floor for so long, not to mention the fact that it was battle scarred and not in optimum condition. And it just lifted off like that?

Other than that though it was great fun. Lots of Star Wars references, and the alt version of the crew felt a bit like the Maquis.

I sure hope we get a 3rd season. It's been firing on all cylinders this season, a show that went against all odds, with critics initially hating on it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hate to be one of those guys, but Jesus does the actress playing Kelly have seriously skinny legs. She looks unwell, to be honest. Was she always like this and I just haven’t noticed?
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I noticed that, too, because skinny jeans are still a thing in the 23rd century (or whenever this is).
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was more concerned about anorexia.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I mean that we only noticed it in that costume. She looks normal enough in her uniform, and I don't remember her looking malnourished in Agents of Shield.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

She has had the same body type as far as I can remember back to Friday Night Lights.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Bellbottoms help camouflage.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kelric wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 pm She has had the same body type as far as I can remember back to Friday Night Lights Supernatural.
Fixed that for you. That's the first I remember seeing her as an actress and I always think of her as slim/athletic. I can't say I noticed any change in how she looked for this last episode.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 pm
Kelric wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:43 pm She has had the same body type as far as I can remember back to Friday Night Lights Supernatural.
Fixed that for you. That's the first I remember seeing her as an actress and I always think of her as slim/athletic. I can't say I noticed any change in how she looked for this last episode.
There was one scene, on a planet's surface, where she and the rest of the gang were walking away from the camera. I assume that's the one hepcat noticed. Her legs almost looked CG. Nobody's legs are that skinny. It must've just been the camera + costume.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Can be a lot of things, such as combination of lighting and camera angles and generally how clothes can look on someone. And obviously the uniform is a looser fit.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Yeah not gonna body shame her but both the wife and I are uncomfortable looking at her legs at times. I hope she doesn't suffer from anything.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

tjg_marantz wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:40 am I hope she doesn't suffer from anything.
According to the internets, she suffers from celiac disease. The internet also tells me that she's engaged to Scott Grimes - Gordon on The Orville.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Not a bad catch. She could do far worse.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I just remember him as Archie on ER.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

He was also in Band of Brothers.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Finished Season One. A bit Star Trek lite but they're still warming up. Some genuinely funny and insightful moments so far.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Btw, on Scott Grimes singing...

Oh, if you're still on Season 1, you'll be in for a treat with Season 2 as it's even better.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Renewed for season 3!
Hodor.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

pr0ner wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:57 pm Renewed for season 3!
YAY!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That's great news! Now we just have to hope they're ready for the Kaylon fleet! :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Excellent news!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moving to Hulu for Season 3:
During today’s The Orville panel at San Diego Comic-Con, show creator and star Seth MacFarlane made big news, announcing the show is hopping from the Fox Broadcasting Network to the Hulu streaming service.

The move is a surprise, as Fox had already announced a third season renewal for The Orville in May. According to MacFarlane, moving to Hulu is something he felt would be best for the show, allowing it more flexibility. No date was given for the premiere of the third season, but sources tell TrekMovie it is targeted for the fall of 2020, with production set to start this fall. The third season is expected to run 10-13 episodes and will be released on a weekly basis, which is traditional for most of Hulu’s original series, like The Handmaid’s Tale.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Ah, crap. I do not subscribe to that service and I will not subscribe just for a single show (as I refuse to do CBS for real Star Trek). It was an amusing two years.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

They move enough stuff to streaming services, it will destroy cable and broadcast TV it seems like. A bleak and depressing thought for trying to find anything worthwhile to watch.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - we could be looking at how the next 2 years are going to unfold. Apparently the next season of the Orville won't air on Hulu until late 2020, but it's still potentially problematic if you think about what it could mean for other network programming. Things might get real ugly.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Someday I'll have to overhaul and reconfigure everything about our equipment and service to make our TV stream stuff -- but god, I want to avoid that for as long as I can. Buh-bye, Orville.