Trump
3%
Weld
1%

Total votes: 68

Kraken

Flash poll: Mayday edition

Post by Kraken »

Thought it might be fun to run one of these every few months based on the evolving field. Independents can take either a D or an R ballot. Partisans can't cross over.
pr0ner

Re: Flash poll: Mayday edition

Post by pr0ner »

Need more data on climate change policies before making a decision.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The point of something like this is to declare who you'd vote for now, knowing that you likely have an incomplete picture of all the candidates. By the next time Kraken runs one of these you may have changed your mind based on learning more about climate change policies.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:26 pm The point of something like this is to declare who you'd vote for now, knowing that you likely have an incomplete picture of all the candidates. By the next time Kraken runs one of these you may have changed your mind based on learning more about climate change policies.
Fair point.

I'll think about this a bit more and come back with an actual vote.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Quite the Warren surge here. Warrenmentum?

Anyway, I also voted for Warren. She and Biden are probably my top 2 at the moment (though that could easily change).
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Buttigieg here - I am done with boomers. Of course until it is some boomer vs. Trump then yes it'll be a boomer but I'm holding out very slim hope against this possibility.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Early days but after some town halls I really respect Warren and think she’ll make a fine president. Sanders is just bugging me more and more. Warren is a politician who I think can govern.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think Beto and Buttigieg need more experience. It think Biden and Bernie have too much experience (plus Bernie is, was, and always will be unelectable). That leaves me with Warren or Harris from this pool, as I'm not voting R (obviously it would be Weld if I were).

Warren is up there in years a bit, but not to the level of Biden and Bernie so it's not disqualifying. She has also really developed a lot of strong policy positions, and even if I don't agree with all of them, it shows a strong level of preparedness.

I have some concerns about Harris's record as a prosecutor, although I admit I haven't fully looked into them yet. She did a great job in recent congressional hearings with her questioning, but that's to be expected from a former prosecutor.

I'm hardly super enthusiastic about it, but I grudgingly voted Warren.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am also sick of boomers. So I went with Harris since it is too soon for AOC.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I like Kamala Harris, mainly because of how she presented herself during the hearings; I like her demeanor and she comes off as being whip-smart. I've caught a few of her interviews and she doesn't sound/act like an old-stuff politician. She seemed warm and affable to me. I see Biden, Bernie and Warren as part of the old-guard. I'm still astounded someone in Trump's demographic was elected and I've even more astounded that others in that same demographic are being considered for 2020. Pain.

EDIT: I guess I do kinda like Warren, but I'm not sold
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:25 pm I like Kamala Harris, mainly because of how she presented herself during the hearings; I like her demeanor and she comes off as being whip-smart. I've caught a few of her interviews and she doesn't sound/act like an old-stuff politician. She seemed warm and affable to me. I see Biden, Bernie and Warren as part of the old-guard. I'm still astounded someone in Trump's demographic was elected and I've even more astounded that others in that same demographic are being considered for 2020. Pain.

It was quite a toss-up for me between Warren and Harris but i went with Warren for now since I know more about her policies. Harris does get ranked as one of the most progressive Senators based on voting record though.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Of my three top tier picks, only one is on the list, so it's an easy choice.
Last edited by Defiant on Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:38 pm Quite the Warren surge here. Warrenmentum?

Anyway, I also voted for Warren. She and Biden are probably my top 2 at the moment (though that could easily change).
I've been on Team Warren since the start, so I'm tickled to see her doing well with the rest of this room. Biden is also my #2 -- not because I like his positions, or even his record, but because he might be the strongest vs Trump. Warren tears into Trrump at every opportunity, but it's Biden who really gets under his thin, orange skin.

It will be interesting to watch conventional wisdom change over time. I'm thinking the next flash poll should be around July 4th unless something seismic happens before then.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Alefroth wrote:
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:25 pm I like Kamala Harris, mainly because of how she presented herself during the hearings; I like her demeanor and she comes off as being whip-smart. I've caught a few of her interviews and she doesn't sound/act like an old-stuff politician. She seemed warm and affable to me. I see Biden, Bernie and Warren as part of the old-guard. I'm still astounded someone in Trump's demographic was elected and I've even more astounded that others in that same demographic are being considered for 2020. Pain.

It was quite a toss-up for me between Warren and Harris but i went with Warren for now since I know more about her policies. Harris does get ranked as one of the most progressive Senators based on voting record though.
Harris would have been my next choice. I'd love to see her square off with Trump in a debate.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 pm Thought it might be fun to run one of these every few months based on the evolving field. Independents can take either a D or an R ballot. Partisans can't cross over.
But can we put their names in our own primary, as write-in votes?

If so, I need to start researching Weld.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:08 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 pm Thought it might be fun to run one of these every few months based on the evolving field. Independents can take either a D or an R ballot. Partisans can't cross over.
But can we put their names in our own primary, as write-in votes?

If so, I need to start researching Weld.
Use whatever rules your state enforces.

Bill Weld was a popular governor in his day -- a fiscally conservative, socially moderate, small-L libertarian Republican who worked well with Democrats. He approached governing more as a hobby than a crusade, which made him affable and reasonable.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:11 pm Need more data on climate change policies before making a decision.
You are dancing around the May poll!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

The Dem ticket is 98% certain to include a woman, and that will probably be Harris or Warren. I'm looking forward to seeing both of them establish themselves on the national stage even if they're never the front-runner.

I voted for Harris in this poll, but I'm not 100% anything yet. Like others have said, I'd love to see her debate Trump. She's tough and smart and has no illusions about D.C. today.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm Like others have said, I'd love to see her debate Trump. She's tough and smart and has no illusions about D.C. today.
A rock could debate Trump. This isn't about being better. It is merely about getting elected. Let's not forget that.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I, for one, would love to see Buttigieg debate Pence, although I still want him in the top spot.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:10 pm
A rock could debate Trump.
*Looks at how Republicans did in the 2016 Republican primary*. I mean, I can see the argument that they were worse than rocks, but still...
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm Like others have said, I'd love to see her debate Trump. She's tough and smart and has no illusions about D.C. today.
A rock could debate Trump. This isn't about being better. It is merely about getting elected. Let's not forget that.
I know, I know. But part of out-debating Trump is looking better than him and firing up voters to support you. I think Harris could wipe the floor with him and do it with none of HRC's baggage.

The most electable choice is obviously Biden, and I'm prepared to put my misgivings about him aside and get on board if that's where we're going.

--

Interesting point:

In recent CNN polling, climate change has moved to the *top* of potential Dem voters' concerns. It'll be interesting to see what the potential nominees make of that.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oh, you mean the Chinese hoax?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

I am 100% Mayor Pete. If you haven't heard him speak yet I'd invite you to listen to any of his one bazillion interviews on whatever your favorite talk show is, because he's literally been on pretty much every one lol. Every time I hear him speak, although some of it is repetitive stump stuff, he impresses me more and more. So intelligent without being condescending, so sincere without coming across as being weak. And I love the irony that he can attack Trump with his midwestern, military and Christian background; Republicans are already having trouble finding ways to counter him effectively.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

For all my grousing about the need for new blood . . . I went Biden.

I'd still like Mayor Pete to convince me. But I'm not there yet.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

rittchard wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:27 pm I am 100% Mayor Pete. If you haven't heard him speak yet I'd invite you to listen to any of his one bazillion interviews on whatever your favorite talk show is, because he's literally been on pretty much every one lol. Every time I hear him speak, although some of it is repetitive stump stuff, he impresses me more and more. So intelligent without being condescending, so sincere without coming across as being weak. And I love the irony that he can attack Trump with his midwestern, military and Christian background; Republicans are already having trouble finding ways to counter him effectively.
I like Pete a lot, but his Midwestern all-Americanness veers WAY too much towards "why can't we all get along?" and not enough towards the fucking Red Alert we're actually facing.

If that's what we want, let's just go with Biden, who does it way better and has tons of mileage to prove it.

Biden could appoint Pete as U.N. ambassador. He wouldn't need a translator half the time. He could do President eight years from now and still be the young one in the race.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:40 pm
In recent CNN polling, climate change has moved to the *top* of potential Dem voters' concerns. It'll be interesting to see what the potential nominees make of that.
David Bowie wrote: Pushing through the market square,
So many mothers sighing.
News had just come over,
We had five years left to cry in.

News guy wept and told us,
Earth was really dying.
Cried so much his face was wet,
Then I knew he was not lying.
They actually say we have 11 years, and we are still going in the wrong direction.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've been gravitating towards Biden after the surge in polls. Not necessarily because I like to back a winner, but because that surprise momentum currently has me believing he has the best shot at toppling Trump. I underestimated the Joe love, and he certainly has the experience that Mayor Pete and Beto lack.

I like Warren but her ship has sailed. As much as I'd like to see a woman in office, I don't know if this is the right year for it. It may turn out that the only way to fight an angry old white guy is with another angry old white guy.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Fauxcahontas really? ROTFLMAO :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I went with Harris based on a handful of interviews I've heard, although I'm not 100% sold on any one candidate. And the only two I'm against are Biden and Sanders. Not that I don't like them, I just want new blood in there.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Suprised Warren is leading the charge. I agree with some of her beliefs, but feel she's too far left.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

em2nought wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:06 am Fauxcahontas really? ROTFLMAO :mrgreen:
As opposed to your choices "German" ancestory?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm more disappointed that he felt that he needed to bring kindergarten name calling into ... well, into OO at all. Anyone else picture em actually rolling around on the floor like a child, laughing at his "cleverness"?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 pm I'm more disappointed that he felt that he needed to bring kindergarten name calling into ... well, into OO at all. Anyone else picture em actually rolling around on the floor like a child, laughing at his "cleverness"?
To be fair, there is plenty of name calling done of Trump and the right around these parts.

That said, that contribution of his is about the level I expect from him.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:35 pm
TheMix wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:23 pm I'm more disappointed that he felt that he needed to bring kindergarten name calling into ... well, into OO at all. Anyone else picture em actually rolling around on the floor like a child, laughing at his "cleverness"?
To be fair, there is plenty of name calling done of Trump and the right around these parts.

That said, that contribution of his is about the level I expect from him.
At first I thought that he had just heard the term Fauxcahauntas for the first time, which surprised me.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 pm
rittchard wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:27 pm I am 100% Mayor Pete. If you haven't heard him speak yet I'd invite you to listen to any of his one bazillion interviews on whatever your favorite talk show is, because he's literally been on pretty much every one lol. Every time I hear him speak, although some of it is repetitive stump stuff, he impresses me more and more. So intelligent without being condescending, so sincere without coming across as being weak. And I love the irony that he can attack Trump with his midwestern, military and Christian background; Republicans are already having trouble finding ways to counter him effectively.
I like Pete a lot, but his Midwestern all-Americanness veers WAY too much towards "why can't we all get along?" and not enough towards the fucking Red Alert we're actually facing.

If that's what we want, let's just go with Biden, who does it way better and has tons of mileage to prove it.

Biden could appoint Pete as U.N. ambassador. He wouldn't need a translator half the time. He could do President eight years from now and still be the young one in the race.
I agree, I think this is more about name recognition and getting bumped up to a more prominent position. I selected him today because of all the candidates, he seems to have the least amount of baggage and we all know how the elephants love plundering baggage. After 2016, I was firmly in Warren's camp until she created a distraction of her own making. It makes me wonder what other ill-advised comments or mistakes she might make leading into an election.

I do see a switch to Harris in the future, however, if she can show some momentum. I have no particular use for the two fossils currently at the top of the national polls.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 pm
Given his age, I would really, *really* hope that Biden wouldn't run for a second term (though I can understand why he wouldn't want to announce that before the 2024 cycle).
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Some prosecutor experience comes in handy when questioning Barr and his ilk. I hope Harris gains some national exposure from this.

Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I hope Barr gains some national exposure from it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I would, but it's too hard to get back up with this large belly of mine. :mrgreen:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.