Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump foreign policy thread

Post by malchior »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm NPR
The Trump administration sought to rush the transfer of American nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia in potential violation of the law, a new report from the House Oversight and Reform Committee alleges.

Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings' staff issued an "interim staff" report Tuesday, citing "multiple whistleblowers" who raised ethical and legal concerns about the process.
<SNIP>
One reason this is coming out so quickly since the committee turnover is that Cummings was complaining about this needing an investigation for quite some time. The Republicans refused to move forward on it. Party over country every damn time.
Holman

Post by Holman »

[moved to North Korea thread]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pence vs. Cheney
A chummy discussion between Vice President Pence and former vice president Richard B. Cheney quickly turned into a vigorous back-and-forth over President Trump’s foreign policy at a private gathering Saturday, with Cheney comparing the president’s instincts to those of his Democratic predecessor, Barack Obama, according to a transcript obtained by The Washington Post.

At the closed-door retreat hosted by the American Enterprise Institute in Sea Island, Ga., Cheney respectfully but repeatedly and firmly pressed Pence on a number of the president’s foreign policy moves. Cheney expressed concerns at such actions as taking a harder line toward U.S. allies in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization and deciding to withdraw troops from Syria during what he fretted was “the middle of a phone call.”

Cheney also worried aloud to Pence that “we’re getting into a situation when our friends and allies around the world that we depend upon are going to lack confidence in us” and then offered a blunt criticism of the current administration’s response to foreign policy challenges.

“I worry that the bottom line of that kind of an approach is we have an administration that looks a lot more like Barack Obama than Ronald Reagan,” he said.
After dispensing with the traditional niceties — joking about the vice presidency being “the worst job in Washington”— Cheney expressed alarm over news reports that Trump “supposedly doesn’t spend that much time with the intel people, or doesn’t agree with them, frequently,” as well as the high staff turnover rate at the intelligence agencies.

The former vice president then turned his attention to the situation in North Korea. He worried about Trump’s decision to cancel the decades-long U.S. military exercises with South Korea and referenced a recent Bloomberg News report about the president’s directive “to pursue a policy that would insist that the Germans, the Japanese, and the South Koreans pay total cost for our deployments there, plus 50 percent on top of that.”

“I don’t know, that sounded like a New York state real estate deal to me,” Cheney quipped.

Pence defended the administration’s decision to halt the bi­annual “war games” with South Korea, saying the Defense Department had assured the administration that the decision “will not affect our readiness in South Korea.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
When Denis Mukwege, a Congolese gynecologist, and Nadia Murad, an Iraqi Yazidi were awarded the Nobel Peace Prize last October for their work to stop the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war, there was widespread praise from all parts of the world, including the United States.

But when the Trump administration was asked this month to do its part, and to pass a U.N. resolution to end sexual violence in war, things suddenly looked a bit more complicated.
On Tuesday, the U.N. Security Council finally passed that resolution, but only in a watered-down version, diluted by the Trump administration.

European allies are furious.

France’s U.N. ambassador, François Delattre, lashed out at the United States for what he called an “intolerable and incomprehensible” stance.
The move to water down Tuesday’s resolution followed weeks of U.S. objections to remove all references in that paper to reproductive and sexual health, which the U.S. delegation feared would be understood as support for abortions. Like prior Republican administrations, the Trump administration has rolled back much of the support granted to nongovernmental organizations for projects that support or facilitate abortions.

In the Security Council, the United States wasn’t alone in its opposition to the original resolution: Potentially encouraged by the U.S. move, China and Russia threatened to join the protest, even though both had previously supported or abstained from similar resolutions in the U.N. General Assembly.

In the Security Council, China and Russia also opposed parts of the resolution that would have made it easier for international organizations to track perpetrators of sexual violence in war.
The approved resolution still supports measures to end the use of sex as a weapon of war, and Maas, the German foreign minister, carefully worded his response on Tuesday. “The resolution calls on all U.N. member states to support victims through better access to justice, medical and psychological assistance and reintegration into society,” he said.

But other U.S. allies were more blunt in their responses, suggesting that the U.S. objections were threatening the dignity of women worldwide.
Holman

Post by Holman »

OK. We're going to war with Iran because Trump can't stop McGahn or Mueller from testifying.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Wag that nuclear dog!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

False flag attack incoming....
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It was a big weekend in Trumpland, spanning at least three threads:

1. NK launched a bunch of short- and medium-range missiles, specifically to tweak Trump, so
2. The US sent a carrier group to intimidate Iran, based on probably fictitious threats, and
3. Trump threatened to escalate the trade war with China, leading to a stock sell-off this morning (as the markets were expecting a deal to be announced this week).
malchior

Post by malchior »

Everything above including ignoring NK has to be seen in the light that Trump:

1) believes that he has free range of motion now that the Mueller report is behind him

2) everything he does is attention seeking, especially if it he thinks it helps him with the re-election

3) he doesn't care about the systemic risks he is introducing or not addressing, more he doesn't understand them
Enough

Post by Enough »

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I mean it's cool to hate on them but honestly, who wouldn't want absolute and total control in exchange for what amounts to little more than your eternal soul?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Imagine the temptation that authoritarianism must hold for a pathological narcissist. You almost can't blame him.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 pm Imagine the temptation that authoritarianism must hold for a pathological narcissist. You almost can't blame him.

As someone who lived in Hungary for a bit longer than half a year in 1991 (at the time of final Soviet troop withdrawal and right in the heart of the golden age after communism) I saw the incredible promise of democracy and excitement for the future of Hungarians at that time, and it is heart-wrenching to see how far they have fallen from that early promise. Orban is a great example of how power corrupts.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notified lawmakers Friday that President Trump is invoking his emergency authority to sidestep Congress and complete 22 arms deals worth approximately $8 billion that would benefit Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and other countries, despite lawmakers’ objections to the transactions.

Both Republicans and Democrats urged the Trump administration this week not to take the rare step of declaring an emergency to push through arms deals that lawmakers have blocked, including a controversial sale of precision-guided munitions to Saudi Arabia that some lawmakers fear may be used against civilians in the war-torn country of Yemen.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Title 22. FOREIGN RELATIONS AND INTERCOURSE
Chapter 39. ARMS EXPORT CONTROL
Subchapter III. MILITARY EXPORT CONTROLS
Section 2776. Reports and certifications to Congress on military exports
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:01 pm WaPo
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo notified lawmakers Friday that President Trump is invoking his emergency authority to sidestep Congress and complete 22 arms deals worth approximately $8 billion that would benefit Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, and other countries, despite lawmakers’ objections to the transactions.

Both Republicans and Democrats urged the Trump administration this week not to take the rare step of declaring an emergency to push through arms deals that lawmakers have blocked, including a controversial sale of precision-guided munitions to Saudi Arabia that some lawmakers fear may be used against civilians in the war-torn country of Yemen.
Hah. Totally normal.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 pm Title 22. FOREIGN RELATIONS AND INTERCOURSE
Chapter 39. ARMS EXPORT CONTROL
Subchapter III. MILITARY EXPORT CONTROLS
Section 2776. Reports and certifications to Congress on military exports
Title Trump. HOW I DO NOT HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION BECAUSE I AM PRESIDENT
Chapter 27. NO NO NO MINE MINE MINE
Subchapter IV. I AM PRESIDENT
Section 1129. I promised the Saudis and they're good people, the best people. Have you seen their cars? Wonderful cars.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Guys. Be nice. Jared has had a tough time, and this is a big day for him.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The kind of thing which happens when we abdicate our place as credible leader of the free world by cozying up to dictators and bashing our allies:
A top U.S. military official has said that U.S. intelligence agencies believe Russia is likely conducting low-yield nuclear testing that may be violation of a major international treaty.

Lieutenant General Robert Ashley said in a speech on May 29 that Russia could be doing tests that go "beyond what is believed necessary, beyond zero yield."

The problem, he said, was that Russia "has not been willing to affirm" they are adhering to the 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mashable
Attention: The Trump Baby blimp has been stabbed.

Yes, the supersized Trump balloon that's been following the president around during his visit London was attacked on Tuesday by knife-wielding Trump supporter. The highly-publicized floating orange babys was reportedly stabbed by far-right troll Amy Dalla Mura who calls herself "Based Amy."

She captured the incident on camera herself, and she also managed to slice herself in the process. After the stabbing, Mura can be heard yelling at anti-Trump protesters, "The president of the United States is the best president ever, shame on you!" As she strolls away, she brags to onlookers that, "I think Donald Trump's balloon is not very well."

A moment later she can be seen holding up her own blood-covered hand, exclaiming, "I'm bleeding quite badly, though."

She's then apprehended by police because apparently wielding a knife to stab things, even inanimate objects, is not welcome behavior in the UK. And for good reason: just look what she did to her own hand.
As for the blimp? It looks like it got away just a little worse for wear.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

#FakeNews abounds.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BI
An oak tree which French President Emmanuel Macron gave to Donald Trump to symbolize their nations' friendship has died, according to French media.

The leaders planted the tree together in the South Lawn of the White House during Macron's state visit in late April.

The gift came from a forest in northern France where 2,000 US soldiers died in World War I, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.

After the planting ceremony, Macron tweeted: "100 years ago, American soldiers fought in France, in Belleau to defend our freedom.

"This oak tree (my gift to @realDonaldTrump) will be a reminder at the White House of these ties that bind us."

But a few days later, the tree was no longer in the garden, and only a patch of yellow grass could be seen, The Guardian reported.

Gerard Araud, who was the French ambassador to the US at the time, confirmed that the oak tree had to be uprooted to be inspected in quarantine.
The tree then died as it underwent inspection, a diplomatic source told French newspaper Le Monde last week. The report was confirmed by Le Figaro and AFP.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They planted it. Too late for quarantine. Smells like bullshit.

Two reasons it died under "inspection":

1. It wasn't a gaudy bauble for to please our leader.

2. Melenia's gaga eyes at Macron didn't go unnoticed by President Insecurity.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So now Trump is thinking about pulling out of the defense treaty with Japan.

:doh:
Hodor.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that a lot (thought certainly not all) of Trump's idiotic decisions should be easily reversible by the next administration. Unfortunately it means the next President will be spending a great deal of time rebuilding all the goodwill he destroyed.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:02 am The only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that a lot (thought certainly not all) of Trump's idiotic decisions should be easily reversible by the next administration. Unfortunately it means the next President will be spending a great deal of time rebuilding all the goodwill he destroyed.
I'm expecting another Nobel Peace Prize ala Obama in the first year of their term.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Mangerine is so desperate for a Nobel at this point, he's willing to just declare North Korea a nuclear power and let them keep what they already have (without verification, most likely) if they promise not to make anymore.

What a goddamn joke. All Iran needs to do is say something nice about the orange dipshit, or let Ivanka open a sweat shop in their country, and they'll get whatever they want.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:17 am The Mangerine is so desperate for a Nobel at this point, he's willing to just declare North Korea a nuclear power and let them keep what they already have (without verification, most likely) if they promise not to make anymore.

What a goddamn joke. All Iran needs to do is say something nice about the orange dipshit, or let Ivanka open a sweat shop in their country, and they'll get whatever they want.
Well they did exchange some really nice letters on fancy stationery .
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:52 pm
hepcat wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:17 am The Mangerine is so desperate for a Nobel at this point, he's willing to just declare North Korea a nuclear power and let them keep what they already have (without verification, most likely) if they promise not to make anymore.

Does Un like Trump or does he like like Trump? Will Trump ask him to the dance? Will their relationship survive the G20 and sneaky, homewrecking Xi?

MYT
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
$iljanus wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Does Un like Trump or does he like like Trump? Will Trump ask him to the dance? Will their relationship survive the G20 and sneaky, homewrecking Xi?
Who will get the relationship rose?!?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BBC
Police have been urged to open a criminal investigation into the leak of diplomatic emails which described the Trump administration as "inept".

Tom Tugendhat, chairman of the foreign affairs committee, told MPs he made the request in a letter to the Met Police.

The government has already launched an internal inquiry, saying it "utterly deplores" the publication of the memos.

US President Donald Trump renewed his attack on the UK ambassador, Sir Kim Darroch, whose comments were leaked.

In a string of tweets about the UK, he said the US "will no longer deal with him", as well as making critical comments about Prime Minister Theresa May and her approach to Brexit.
Emails from the UK's ambassador, leaked to the Mail on Sunday, said Mr Trump's White House was "uniquely dysfunctional" and "divided".

The prime minister's spokesman said it was "the job of ambassadors to provide honest and unvarnished opinions" but Mrs May "does not agree with the assessment".
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:06 pm BBC
The prime minister's spokesman said it was "the job of ambassadors to provide honest and unvarnished opinions" but Mrs May "does not agree with the assessment".
:lol:

I speak enough British to know what that means.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Remember that time when Pakistan's Prime Minister showed up and just popped out of the gate at IAD...(interesting choice to fly commercial aside)

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Power move. 4D chess. Who needs a State Department?

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"I have plans that would wipe Afghanistan off the face of the earth. We'd win that war in literally 10 days. I just don't want to kill 10 million people"

What. The. Fuck??
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holy Shit.

In the space of 30 seconds he doubles, triples, and quadruples down on complete ignorance of what the Afghanistan war actually is. He thinks we're at war with Kabul.

He's at the point where he thinks "I COULD KILL *SO* MANY MUSLIMS!!!" is what his base wants to hear.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

He's moving into burn the Reichstag territory.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:25 pm He's moving into burn the Reichstag territory.
Murdering 10 million people is way beyond the Reichstag point.